Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Homeworld

-Salvage everything you can. You can retire some salvaged ships for RUs, and others are very useful for bolstering the strength of your fleet.
-Ships are generally strongest in the front, and weakest around the engines. Whenever you can, try to encircle the enemy and even hit them in the rear when possible. Make sure to watch your ships' sixes as well.
-Scouts are tiny and weak, but if you put them on Evasive tactics in X formation, very little will be able to hit them and they will make fantastic diversions.
-Never put your capital ships in formation. They'll move far too slowly. You should always put your strike craft (fighters, corvettes) in X formation when moving, Claw when attacking a single target, and Sphere in a major battle. These formations maximize damage and make them harder to hit than Delta/Broad/Wall.
-Enemy capital ships will often attempt to ram yours when their situation gets desperate. Keep your capitals constantly moving!
-Ion frigates
-Don't pursue Lu Bu

Homeworld 2

-Single player is impossible, don't even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Morpheus posted:

Fallout 3
- The Lady Killer perk appears drat near useless. I've had one extra dialogue option (which didn't do anything), Super Mutants don't have gender, and I'm over halfway through the game, by my estimates.
- Don't fret too much over what skills you tag. All that does is add 15 to them, so it affects the beginning of the game.
- The perks that give you extra skills points from leveling up and from books are both quite useful and should be taken as early as possible.
- Stay the gently caress away from Lu Bu Yao Guais.

The Black Widow perk, on the other hand (female version of Lady Killer) is AWESOME. Definitely pick that.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
I've just started Planescape: Torment and I'm really enjoying it. Is there anything important that I need to know, or is it a sort of learn-as-you-go experience?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Silentman0 posted:

Give me Defcon tips, please. I played a couple of matches online and got my rear end handed to me both times and I can't tell what I can do to improve.

The game's not really about winning, but rather about losing less than everyone else. Launch all of your non-silo nukes as early as possible to soften up targets. Once they initiate retaliatory strikes, launch your silo nukes. Choosing your targets is incredibly important as well - remember that your score depends on civilian carnage alone. It's a good idea to have about ten nukes inbound towards a major population center, because at least a few of them will be shot down, and those that aren't are going to cause quite a few megadeaths.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Jive One posted:

With Empire: Total War coming out soon I've recently taken an interest in the series and I was wondering if someone could give me just a brief rundown on how the Total War games play out gameplay-wise. I have plenty of experience with RTS games going all the way back to Dune 2, but the only real-time tactics game I've played was Sid Meier's Gettysburg and that was years ago when it came out. The Total War games seem to be universally praised, but before I purchase them I wanted to get some idea of how they operate compared to your average RTS game.

You have two basic modes in Total War games - the World Map and the Battle Map. World Map plays very similarly to the Civilization series in that you manage construction for your various cities and try to keep the public happy while you move your armies around. Once combat is instigated, you can auto-resolve as a Civilization battle would do, but that's no fun. You want to fight the battle in real-time.

You'll go into the Battle Map and you can array your troops in formation before starting the battle. Once you do, the game plays out very similarly to an RTS. The main difference is that you can only control massed units of 60+, not individual soldiers. You'll have to use tactics like troop counters and flanking a lot in battle. If things go hilariously/horribly wrong one side, then a few of their units will start to rout. You won't be able to control them, they'll just run away in panic. Total annihilation of the opposition rarely happens in Total War; it's a rout that you're aiming for, so make sure to damage enemy morale as well as enemy numbers.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Arzy posted:

Are there any "really hard guys" ?? Am I missing them? After I got the Android Plasma rifle I had to up the game to Hard because it was a joke. Throw in Fawkes and even Deathclaw Sanctuary was cake.

I also have 50 stim paks, I dont think I've ever had a fight where I thought I'd die. Please tell me there's some final fight that might actually be difficult.

If you're running the PC version, check out the Welcome To The Wasteland mod. It introduces some actual challenge to the game, and is a fantastic piece of work. If you're running the console version, enjoy your post-apocalyptic godhood.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

RotationSurgeon posted:

You see all this stuff about limbs? Ignore this. Shoot enemies in the head. It hurts more. The only time you ever shoot an enemy NOT in the head is if you either can't see their head or they have a weapon so deadly you feel you need to shoot the weapon. Or if they don't have a head. But seriously just go for headshots and you'll win; the game is never really that difficult.

If they have a grenade out, try and aim for that in VATS. Yes, you can shoot grenades out of their hands, and they will explode!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Dr Snofeld posted:

Requesting Medieval 2: Total War help, because it's very intimidating for someone who's never played a Total War game before.

You'll get the hang of it after enough play. Here are some general tips and tricks:

World Map
-Try not to ally yourself with your neighbor, and instead ally yourself with the neighbor of your neighbor. Your immediate neighbor is for you to conquer, and your new buddy next door to them will be able to help out. So if you're playing as Byzantium, make an allegiance with Milan and start a war with Venice.

-Each of your generals has stats that affect gameplay - Command, Loyalty/Authority, Piety, and Chivalry/Dread. Command only matters if you auto-resolve battles; the game engine compares the size of opposing armies and the Command rating of the generals in control when determining who wins. Loyalty measures how likely they are to defect versus your current king's Authority - the higher both stats are on either end, the better. Piety is good to keep high as well, otherwise they might be targets for inquisitors. Stats that people often neglect with their Generals are Chivalry and Dread. If a bonus is given to one, it detracts from the other. So if your general acts like a dick in battle - executes prisoners, exterminates cities, hunts fleeing armies down - then his Dread will increase and his Chivalry will decrease. His Chivalry will increase (and his Dread will decrease) if he's a good guy. Concentrate on making your generals into either a total bastard or an angelic saint, as their other stats will increase accordingly if their Chivalry or Dread is high enough.

-If a Guild wants to set up a branch in one of your cities, remember that no other Guild will be able to set up there afterwards. Some Guilds are way more helpful than others, depending on your situation - a Theologian's Guild isn't going to be of much assistance if you don't need Priests that much, but a Knight Order chapter house will give you some rear end-kicking new units to train.

-Build towns in your inner territories and castles on your frontiers, and turn your outside into a ring of military production while your inside serves as the main source of income for your kingdom.

-Always be sure to keep the people in your city happy. You're able to tell what's currently pissing them off in the city menu, and you should adapt construction accordingly.

Battlefield

-Each faction has its own specialty on the battlefield. France's cavalry is superb, for example, whereas England has fantastic archers and Denmark has fantastic heavy infantry. When composing your armies, the "star" unit of your faction should play the main killing role, while the other unit types should be balanced appropriately to support the star unit. So when playing France, have your mediocre infantry and archers tie up the enemy while your cavalry swoops around from the rear and bulldozes them over.

-That reminds me, always try to flank, especially with heavy cavalry charges. If you pull it off, it's incredibly destructive.

-The hardest part of besieging a settlement is getting through the walls. For besieging, make sure you've got an army with lots of infantry and archers. Heavy cavalry will dominate open battlefields, but they're mostly useless in sieges until the gates are down. Infantry and archers also work well in manning siege engines, which you should always build more than one of; they can get destroyed fast under an especially harsh flaming arrow volleys. You can also bypass siege engines entirely if you have catapults or cannons, but remember that their ammunition is limited, so make sure you've got plenty if you're going to assault a high-level castle. My personal favorite method of assaulting a city is to sneak a Spy inside first, and camp outside until he's able to open the gates for my army.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Any advice for Age of Empires III?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Any advice for Metal Gear Solid 3?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Shadow Of The Colossus seems pretty straightforward, but is there anything unapparent that I should know?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
I tried playing Sins of a Solar Empire, and I have no goddamn idea what I'm doing. Any advice would be wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
All I know about Mass Effect 2 is that Vanguard is the most fun class and that you should wrap up any loose ends before the IFF mission. Anything else?