Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything on Transformers: War for Cybertron?

You have two weapons built into your vehicle mode and you can pick up two weapons for robot mode. Ammo caches will refill all four of your weapons so feel free to use them. The jet Transformers have unlimited ammo in vehicle mode.

Optimus Prime has the Warcry ability which increases the offense and defense of himself and those around him. You can abuse the hell out of this in single player and it will save your butt quite a few times. Leader class bots in multiplayer have this ability.

All the abilities have uses in some way so change classes every once in a while rather than sticking with one.

EDIT: Also melee is stupidly powerful and can hit multiple enemies at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Lord of Laughton posted:

I started the first Dead Space last night. Now I know that there's an achievement for using nothing but the plasma cutter and beating it on hard.. so I'm trying to go as far as I can like that, but what else should I know?

-The plasma cutter's secondary fire what you should use most of the time. Cut off their legs first and then their arms.

-Put more power nodes in your suits health rather than air. You can get through the game with one or two air upgrades.

-Never buy any other weapon when doing a one gun run because you will only get ammo for the plasma cutter. Even if you don't use the weapon purchasing it WILL cause that weapons ammo to spawn.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

deepshock posted:

Metroid Prime 3. Hit me.

-Later on in the game there is a room you can go to in Elysia that will launch probes to all the planets in the game and show you where energy tanks and missle tanks are hidden. useful if you want to 100% the game.

-As with the first two games, scan everything to earn backstory, give you hints on what to do to proceed, and give info on your enemies and how to defeat them.

-Due to the nature of Wii Remote aiming you can move your shots away from a locked on target. However while locked on your target will always be on center screen so it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Seems the wiki already has a page with some more useful tips: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Metroid_Prime_3:_Corruption

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 28, 2011

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I got Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II along with Chaos Rising and Retribution as a gift during the steam sale. I've never played any Warhammer games and haven't played an RTS game since Warcraft 3. Is there anything I should know before I fire it up and try to get into it? Things to avoid?

-Vanilla Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising are based on squads each lead by a hero character. The heroes can be equipped with different weapons and armor. Which heroes you take is your choice but you should always take whichever ones you feel suit the mission

-Retribution is more like an RTS game than the main game and Chaos Rising (Which are both limited to the four hero squads) You have four heroes but they do not have squads and capturing buildings allows you to build units and vehicles.

-In Retribution you get the resources it cost to build a unit back when that unit dies. Remember this during hard battles so you can queue up a new unit as soon as you can.

-In Chaos Rising your characters can become corrupted by Chaos. While corruption gives you powerful abilities and allows you to equip new weapons you get a worse ending depending on your corruption level.

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 15, 2012

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

I found a copy of Sakura Wars: So Long My Love for cheap a while back, and I think it's about time I put some time into it. Is there anything I should know, particularly permanently missable stuff.

-There is a LOT of optional stuff you can do while wandering around New York and talking to the girls and you won't see it all on a single playthrough.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

Anything I should know before I get too far in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon? The first helicopter mission was a bit of a pain for me, but I think I have most of the basics down, especially that some dudes can't be killed outside DFM.

-You can kill enemies outside of Dogfight Mode but but they will avoid your missiles quite often. Using DFM pretty much guarantees you the kill.

-While the game gives you paths you can activate to attack ground targets there are only two missions where you have to do this, an ocean mission and a bombing mission. In every other mission you can ignore it and fire normally.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Anything I should know for Custom Robo Arena for the DS?

Trying to avoid spoiling too much:

-The Stun gun turns most of the game into easy mode so pick it up. Just be careful since it's short range.

-Like the Gamecube game the grand battles takes place after the story. These are called grudge matches and you must meet certain criteria before you can face your opponents.

-During the story you get the ability to do some work at night (You'll know what I mean when this happens). DO THIS EVERY NIGHT. You can get a lot of money for parts and if you face a certain person three times you get a special Robo. If you do not encounter this person you can buy it after story mode for $500.

-Another good way to earn money is to fight in the dungeon arena in the police HQ after the story mode. for every 10 fights you get a reward amount and you get money and stars for every fight. Good for after you've cleared the arcade in the RoboCenter (Which you need to do anyway).

-After you complete 10 grudge battles go outside the clubhouse at school and a person will be waiting outside. He gives you an item that you can use to gain access to a special area. To get there go to the lower left house in the Harbor district after you get it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nah, it's still wasted cache, since infinite stamina applies to gliding, too.

No it doesn't. I got infinite stamina early on and it still costs stamina to dash and glide.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

spider wisdom posted:

Anything on Clive Barker's Undying? I'll probably need a widescreen patch, but are there any other fixes/etc I should worry about? Working with the GOG version.

-Be sure to explore every corner of the levels, many of them have items that can increase your mana, your mana regeneration, and the strength of your spells.

-Amplifiers can be hard to come by so choose which spells to upgrade wisely. Some like Scrye and Dispel do not need to be upgraded. (Been a while so I may be misremembering on Dispel)

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Walk around with the Gel'ziabar stone out most of the time. It will glow green when you can use Scrye to see something. Very cool plot and ambiance stuff is revealed this way, and can be missed if you're just ripping through it.

You don't need to do this to find points where you can use scrye. A voice will whisper "Scrye" "See" or "look" when you find one. Although I will admit that this might be easier since the whispers are kind of quiet.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

Some tips for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds:

One more for this game:

-The fissures you use to enter Lorule can be hidden quite well. If you can't find an entrance to certain areas in Lorule start merging with walls you can't normally see and going inside buildings.

I could probably word that better but it works.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Got a few questions about games I'm currently playing or about to start.

1. Assassins Creed 3, are there any points in the game where it requires upgrading the ship or buying anything really?

None that I recall but is has been a while since I played. I think the only things I bout where bullets and I didn't spend a single cent on the ship.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Sober posted:

Resource/Economy wise: Basics include going around the map and capturing points. REQ (requisition) is generated primarily through Strategic points. They show up in three different forms, but for 2 of them you can capture and build Listening Posts on them to prevent them from being recaptured. These points generate REQ which is your primary resource. The other, PWR (power) you build, which are power generators, where you can build anywhere in your base (or a special one on top of certain map points). You don't need to have territories connected like in Company of Heroes though.

To add on to this in Dark Crusade (And maybe Soulstorm didn't play it for very long with that loving map) the Necron forces can only use power and do not gather requisition. Although You should still capture points and build obelisks on them as you can halve unit construction time with obelisks on enough points. They benefit greatly from slag deposits if there are any on the map.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War (also Dark Crusade, Winter Assault and Soul Storm) and GO!

edit: I already know that the red ones go faster. I haven't played in years and mostly just try to win through sheer force of numbers so actual tips and strategy would help alot.

These are for Dark Crusade:

-Always have your honor guard with you when you attack an enemy stronghold. You WILL be attacked in force when the level starts.

-ALWAYS conquer Pavonis as soon as you can. Pavonis gives you the space port ability which allows you to attack any province that is not a stronghold. You will still need to conquer a province adjacent to the stronghold province.

-Two others to consider conquering are The Eres Badlands and The Hyperion peaks. The Eres badlands allow you to attack twice per turn and the peaks allow you to have a forward base.

-One that note, the forward base and honor guard be require planetary requisition which you gain from the various provinces and is added to each turn. Your honor guard will stay with you and will only need to be requisitioned Once you get them or if the unit is killed. The forward base structures need to be rebuilt with each province so think carefully about what you want structures you want (If any).

-Always build listening posts on strategic points. They increase the amount of requisition you get from the point and can be made into turrets useful for base defense. It will also force your enemy to destroy the post before it can capture the point so even if you don't reinforce it it can be a big help.

That should cover it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I've just bought Destiny for cheap, which I've heard is a good decision. However, I'm worried I'm about to enter a game where I'm under powered and no one wants to co-op my low level poo poo. Any tips?

-Every main story level in the game can be done solo. having partners just makes it easier.

-You can only get to level 20 through EXP. For level 21 and up you have to equip armor items that add to the light stat.

-There are vendors that sell legendary gear in the tower but they require vanguard marks and crucible marks. You earn vanguard marks through public events and strike playlists while crucible marks are earned through the crucible (Multiplayer). Both are capped at a max of 100 per week.

-If you need to grind vanguard and Crucible reputation check out the bounty tracker. Completing the bounties will give you a large rep boost for the faction that made the request.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

There is a section near the end of the game where you have to something with a card. There is a section that you can drop down to that allows you to skip backtracking and do it in the same room.

To elaborate on this even further: Ine the same room as Metal Gear REX on the top level on REX's right. If you hang off the ledge you should see an isolated ledge Tricky to pull off but worth it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

paco650 posted:

As far as I know, you cannot permanently miss relics. Most of them are easy to get to at any rate. Many dungeons are built around the item found within, Legend of Zelda-style.

This is true. If you miss a Relic in the level it will be available in town afterward. You will have to pay money for them though.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Beyond Good & Evil seems super charming so far. Anything I should know about it?

Be sure to photograph EVERY creature you find. Be it an animal or a humanoid. It's the steadiest source of pearls you'll get in the game.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

tensai posted:

Anything for Shovel Knight?

- Get the downward stab upgrade for your shovel ASAP. makes combat easier and much more fun Another good upgrade to get is the one that gives you a charge attack for two consecutive downward stabs.

- You can return to earlier levels at any time and face the bosses again if you need to grind for cash/want to complete challenges.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Zushio posted:

The spell is called Soul Steal. The input is ←→↘↓↙←→ + [ATTACK]. You need 50mp, but it will deal multiple hits to all enemies onscreen and give you pretty close to a full heal.

Dark Metamorphosis is ←↖↑↗→ + [ATTACK] and makes it so that enemies bleeding on you gives you health. It's not quite as clutch but cheaper to cast and can be hand in certain areas.

The big problem with dark metamorphosis though is the most enemies don't bleed. Soul steal is the FAR better spell.

quote:

You have the Downward Stab right from the get-go, but the other upgrade you're describing (the Dynamo Mail) is awesome and should be bought ASAP. Note that you can charge it by bouncing off of dirt piles too.

You do? I could have sworn you needed to buy it. I should fire up the game again.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Feel free to back out, explore a bit, get some levels and items. I don't think there are any "trick" bosses until Richter, so it's a matter of either stats or learning the pattern.
Alternately, if you really want to cheese the early game, look up the button combos for magic; the spells aren't locked, buying them just tells you how to do it.

To expand on this, while there are many spells the most useful by far is Soul Steal (Back, forward, half circle back, forward and an attack button.) It kills all the enemies on screen and gives you health back.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Zushio posted:

I was always fond of Dark Metamorphosis. I found it easier to pull off and enough things bleed that it can keep you topped off for health if you're careful.
Dark Metamorphosis (10MP): left, up-left, up, up-right, right and square

I don't remember there being enough bleeding enemies for it to be useful.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

RatHat posted:

Anything for Shadow Complex?

-The game is basically a Metroid clone. Be sure to go back and explore after you get a new power.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Any thing for the original rear end Creed that isn't skip it or play it like Arkham Whatever (because combat is timed instead of mash button to win) I beat the three Ezio games back in the day but I never finished the original game so I got a cheap copy today for PS3.

I'd say what's on the wiki pretty much covers it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Are any of the flags locked behind story progression? I have 18/20 assassin flags but I gave up and moved to the first area (with saracen flags apparently) because I'm not sure I can get the last two right now.

I think only the flags in story areas are locked behind progression.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

RatHat posted:

Just bought the Doom classic pack on Steam with Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom. Anything for those?

EDIT: Yes I realize this is like asking for tips for Mario but I never played Doom as a kid.

-The standard shotgun is a really good sniping weapon.

-Always try to find a backpack as fast as you can. It gives you ammo and doubles your ammo capacity the first time you get one.

-You can make the monsters fight each other. Do this as often as possible. Note: Most enemies are immune to their own species projectiles (Former humans are not)

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm finally playing a lot of classic SNES games I never got around to when I was young. Anything for Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors!?

Also, advice on which to play first, because goddamn.

I would say for Mario RPG what's on the wiki is decent. I will add one thing though:

-When you level up you have to choose to boost your HP, regular attack and defense, or magic attack and defense. I recommend going magic attack and defense, then regular attack and defense, and HP.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Odd posted:

Isn't there always one choice that gives more than average increases, each level? I would recommend taking that just because more is better

As I recall this is the order of which one gives the best increase each level. I did this and made the game a lot easier than when I was a kid and just chose HP each level.

And two more while I think of them:

-Characters do not have separate MP pools but one they all share. Be sure to stick up on syrups if you use lots of special attacks.

-There is an Item called the EXP booster which doubles the XP you gain from battle. However you do not have to put it on someone in the battle. As long as a party member has it equipped you get the boost.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I've been to that shrine, but I don't recall missing any chests inside it that would have a climbing bandana :confused:. Guess I'll check again next time I play.

The chest is on a platform next to the last ramp. You have to put it up and use stop time on the switch so you can reach it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

Yeah, seconding this, GameFAQs may still be the only option for older games but Gamepressure is much more modern and wiki-like. The walkthroughs are generally pretty much on point without being too spoilery. Depends on the game of course. Also much easier to browse on a smartphone while you're playing.

gameFAQs has gotten better though. There are newer guides that use HTML and as a whole the site is becoming more mobile friendly.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

BrightWing posted:

The Swift Sail is avalible from the AH once you get the first pearl. I think you need about 200 rupees to get it, but I agree it mostly takes care of the one issue I personally have with the game.

I would say 200 rupees minimum. You should have more as a buffer in case it goes high or you have to go through other items before it comes up.

And wile I am at it a reminder: If you add 10% to the bid when you do it you will stun everyone in the room for a time. It's best to do this when the auctioneer mentions that there is only five seconds left.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Centipeed posted:

Anything for Forza Horizon 4?

I imagine it's just "Do whatever you want", since it's an open world driving game, but there might be some things I should be prioritising if I want to get more cars, for example.

If it's like the last 3 do whatever you want is all the advice you really need. You get enough credits and XP from racing that getting cars is no problem.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, reflex.

Anyway, what should I know about the new Battletech. I played a bit before so I know about the Argo, but it performed very poorly so I never got into the meat of the game. Apparently is better now and I'm giving it another go.

I've read the wiki, but no idea whether that's updated.

Everything looks right to me. I would just add one thing

-Cover is very useful. Aside from making it harder for you ti hit it can also reduce damage. With bulwark you can get a 40-60% damage reduction from enemy attacks.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

I have questions for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that weren't in the wiki but might be helpful for future people too.

Is combat less about movement and more about timing hits properly?

Does Easy difficulty take anything away from the content?

There are moves that do more damage depending on position so it is useful to move. But timing helps greatly. Using an art on the second hit of the combo fills your Blade art meter halfway.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

1redflag posted:

Anything for Metal Wolf Chaos XD?

-Any POW's you rescue will stay rescued so if you miss any your first time through you don't need to recollect the others.

-Some enemies and bosses contain health increases and weapons.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
Yeah you need to sign in for Doom Eternal. Doom 64 does not require it.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
Also these two tips for Doom 2016 apply to Eternal as well:

quote:

In single player mode, you can repeat any level with all your acquired weapons and upgrades. It's best to do this in between levels because you'll lose your progress in the current level when you do it.

You don't need to complete a level in order to save any upgrades, collectibles, weapons, completed challenges, etc. that you find. They're saved to your profile immediately upon acquisition. This is most relevant if you're replaying levels for things you missed.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

1redflag posted:

Blaster Master Zero

-Each area has a map that shows where all the caves are and the layout of each area.

-Caves with an item or boss will be marked on the map. If you see a cave is marked explore it.

-Sup weapon energy/hover regenerates so don't hesitate to use it.

-The game has a true ending that requires you to get all the collectables. After beating the area 8 boss you will go to a new area, complete it for the true end.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
I never played a souls like on PC and had no problem playing Fallen Order on keyboard and mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
Some more Battle Network tips:

* You can not collect all battle chips in any of the games until you complete the main story. After beating them you can go back and collect chips from bosses after the point of no return and new areas that unlock post game.

* Some chips, viruses and Navis have elements and attacks from the element they are weak to will deal double damage. The elements are fire, wood, elec, and aqua. Having a folder to take advantage of weaknesses if you have the chips will make things easier.

* Certain panel types will deal double damage when hit with certain chips, regardless grass panels will deal double when hit by fire and ice panels deal double damage when hit by elec. You can stack this with elemental weaknesses to destroy some foes.

* Program Advances are very strong and do not be afraid to use them use them. Gater from BN2 in articular is EXTREMELY broken.

* From BN2 onward you can press L on the custom screen to attempt to run from a random battle at any time.

* Download MegaBoy's maps for BN1 from GameFAQs. The net is a complete mess compared to the other games.

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 18, 2023