Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

NonContradiction posted:

Anyone got some tips for Illusion of Gaia? I'm at Mu at the moment, just want to make sure there isn't a critical amount of red gems that I need or some other such.

The Red Gems are only to access the bonus dungeon, which doesn't really have anything it other than a tough boss fight. You need all 40, and if you already missed some there is absolutely no way to go back for them.

Beyond that, just make sure you kill every enemy in the zone before moving on to get the most stat ups and explore throughly, some of the stages (Mu espicially) are confusing as hell.

Oh, and the bosses just get more and more annoying, the boss of the desert temple is espicially bad if I recall. Oh, and both Soulblazer and Terranigma are much better games in my opinion, but IoG has a certain bizzare charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Hamelin posted:

Don't worry too much about getting every single stat-up for killing all the monsters. When you beat the boss of a stage the game will give you all the ones you missed.

Well I'll be damned, I really did not know that. It really makes things much easier.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

gos_jim posted:

God how I hated that about Burnout. Was the eventual reason I stopped playing. I'd force an AI racer into a barrier or another car and they would be right on my rear end again immediately, or even fly past me. Yet I'd hit something eventually and be like 3 places behind.

Other than that, games are a ton of fun.

On top of all the other awesome stuff that Burnout Paradise includes, during standard races there in no longer rubber banding. If you get a substantial lead you can maintain it and improve it by knowing city and driving well. I regularily cross the finish line and see the AI racers at the halfway point of the race.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

PlasticSun posted:

I'd really like some recomendations for Banjo Kazoie Nuts and Bolts and Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay / Dark Athena

Thanks!

For BK, the only advice is to think creatively about completing objectives, more than half of them can be done in an unortodox way that makes they easier. An example of this is in an early level, you are tasked with bringing a certain number of items to a silo that then sucks them up. If you do what you're told, it's quite difficult, an better option is to destroy the silo and use a vehicle to carry it over to where the items are, thus clearing the mission in 30 seconds.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The game gets a bit easier as your powers start to advance.

Until you hit a massive brick wall about 20 minutes from the end.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Orfeo posted:

How do you start learning Street Fighter 4? This is pretty much the first fighting game I'm trying to play well and it's on the PC and should I finally cave in and buy a 360 controller and oh god what do the input commands mean

If you want to play well it helps to remember a few things.

1. Just button mash until you figure out what each input actually means.

2. Play around till you find someone you like, then start memorizing the moves. This isn't as hard as it sounds, just pick one move, then find out what it does, then figure out how it will fit in to an overall attack strategy.

3. Know what you're doing. Once the moves are memorized, you no longer have to actually pay attention to what your character is doing, because you'll know what will happen based on what moves you put in.

4. Pay attention to the other characters. You know what you are going to do, you don't know what your enemy is, pay close attention and you can learn to predict stuff.

6. Block.

5. This is where I differ in my fighting game strategy. Most people seem to emphasize memorizing long combos of moves you can link together for optimal damage output. This, I feel, is bullshit. Never actually have a plan, just know what your character is capable of and do what seems to fit the situation.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Question time, for Shadow Complex, is there a way to cook grenades? I ask because I'm still fairly new into the game, but there's a patch of breakable rocks in the very first room up on a ceiling. Is there a way to break this besides a rocket launcher?

Just fire the grenade from a different position so it has more time in the air.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Awkwardly placed grenade obstacles are supposed to be broken by sticking a grenade into foam.

Obviously, but I didn't find any grenade obstacles I couldn't hit by firing creatively.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Minor hint for RE4:

After a certain point (nightfall) sometimes enemies will have their heads burst when you kill them and a parasite comes out and continues to attack you. The game seems to indicate that headshots are what triggers the activation, but in reality, if a parasite is going to come out, it will do so regardless of how you kill the enemy. Always go for headshots on zombies, as they will stumble, or if you're using the fully upgraded default handgun, get critical hits (instant kills) about 75% of the time.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Anything for The Darkness?

The intro section of the game before you get the titular Darkness is the hardest, I found the best way through was to play a it tactically.

In terms of the powers, by far the stabbing tentacle attack is the most all around useful, but don't underestimate minions or guns.

When you enter an area, destroy all the lights, tentacle is good for this too.

You can in fact watch the entire film To Kill a Mockingbird in your apartment. You get an achievement (360 version) for watching 3 minutes of it with your girl.

Unless you're an achievement whore, don't bother calling all the hidden numbers around the game, it's just a kinda creepy side plot that never comes up again.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

I'm on the middle of my first playthrough, the only advice I can give is that, on hard anyway, the Scythe is worthless, don't bother buying it, and get really, really good at dodging or you're going to be dying a lot.

I disagree, Scythe is quite useful at crowd control and range management. I was also playing on the hardest difficulty, Apocalyptic, which makes the game fairly challenging as things now do a lot of damage. The gameplay is more like Devil May Cry in terms of combat style on that difficulty, enemies don't really block though.

Make sure to put in the code to get it for free, with the code you get a permanent effect of extra souls collected while using the scythe:

Enter the Pause Screen during gameplay and select "Options". Under Game Options select "Enter Code" from the menu. Enter "The Hollow Lord". At the store the scythe will now cost 0 souls.

If you need to keep away from an enemy and want to come in for a quick powerful hit the Dash + Heavy combo is fantastic, I was stuck at the miniboss on the broken section of highway until I figured out that move. When dealing with swarms of little dudes you can also do an area attack with it that usually kills in a hit or two if you buy the move.

It's rarely worth the effort to block heavily unless you're really good with the timing to activate a counter attack.

Make sure you fool around with new moves you can buy for the weapons, they really upgrade your combo potential.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

CoD 4 Single Player:

Enemies constantly respawn in any given firefight until you cross a specific point on the map. As such, playing on higher difficulties, you have to not only kill guys, but push through gaps in the lines so you can eventually stop the respawning. Your men are invincible, so if you can get through an area your men will follow and kill all the enemies you've missed (if you have).

In the level Charlie Don't Surf you'll have to assault a TV Station, one room in particular is a huge hassle, you'll know it when you get to it. Quick solution is to clear out a wave of enemies, go through the door, follow the right hand wall to the corner, follow wall again until you get to a side room, then just hang around in there clearing guys until the AI allies show up and you can continue.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Any tips for RTS games in general? I've never had any success with them without cheating, but would like to play through Warcraft 3.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Batman Arkham Asylum:

This game is an RPG no matter how you cut it. It's also just Metroid.
(Most games are actually RPGs if you trace out how mechanics work in your head.)

There is a radius in which enemies can be hit with Batman's attacks (AOE - Area of Affect), as you get a larger combo this AOE expands. As such, getting the upgrade that makes your combo meter go up by 2 for perfectly timed attacks and counters is the most important. This will also let you use the two finisher moves faster.

Only the second finishing move you unlock grants invulnerability frames.

When fighting a group you will knock over enemies without outright defeating them, there is a move to finish them off but it leaves you open to attack. A better option is to leave them alone and continue fighting.

You can't punch a downed enemy right after he falls over, trying to do so will break your combo. You can however knock over a thug, attack someone else, then target the downed thug to extend your combo.

Playing on Normal is for tools, makes the combat far to simple due to the markers on enemies for the correct counter timing. Play on Hard, no marker and fights are actually a challenge.

Movement controls are very fluid in terms of making Batman do what you want him to. This seems to have been achieved by making the context sensitivity for actions quite large. This means it is completely possible to get the timing down to do a jump roll ending crouched and enter a vent as one fluid action. It serves no purpose but is fun to do.

Talking to yourself as though you were in fact Batman while playing the game is fun.

It is not possible to outright miss any collectibles, aka Riddler's Challenge, due to a point of no return. You will always, at some point, be able to return to every area freely.

In each area there is a map that shows the rough location of every collectible in that area, a little hard to read due to ambiguity in some cases, but it makes collecting a snap.

There are 2 achievements that you can miss, one is to rescue 2 cops and 1 thug from poisonous gas (remember, Batman doesn't let anyone die), the other is to beat up all thugs with party hats on, they are all in one place, hard to miss. If you pay attention to Joker's messages he sends to the island over the course of the game one of them should tell you where the group with hats is.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 21, 2010

Zushio
May 8, 2008

McKracken posted:

In the Commanders Room you will face Psycho Mantis. If you are having trouble with this and you can't figure it out you need to switch to the second control port, and now Mantis won't be able to read you This is a pretty famous and well known boss fight, but I spoilered it just in case you're unaware and still want to be surprised.

Alternate solution to this is to destroy the statues in the room.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

[bold]Super Metroid[/bold]

Their is a scanning visor item in the game that will tell you if there are breakable blocks and how to bust them. It is a godsend. Until you get it, when you see something suspicious, or even things that aren't suspicious, bomb the hell out of them. You never know where a missile expansion is going to hide.

Dropping a Super Bomb will also reveal any hidden breakable block on the current screen.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can do counter attacks with the hidden blade for an instant kill. It's riskier though, because you can't block and the window for success seems to be smaller.

That's for AC1; in Assassin's creed 2 it's less risky, because you can block with it.

I found this out really late, but used it to kill the last 3 bosses on their very first attack against me. It kills everything in one hit if you can get it down, with a little practice you should be able to in no time.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Harmonic combos: Use a support style like the one you start with (Heavenly Wave), and preform the attack that the description says will start a harmonic combo. Preform that attack, and you should see a bar ticking down around the circle beneath your enemy's feet. Before that bar empties out, switch back to your attack style and preform a heavy attack. Most enemies explode when you do this, and a power-up is guaranteed to drop (changes depending on the support style used). It only works on the enemy you're targeting though, so restart the combo on each one.

I basically did some variation of this starting from about halfway through and never had any trouble with anything in a fight ever again.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, I just picked up F Zero GX the other day. Any suggestions for overcoming its legendary frustration causing?

Make sure to calibrate your stick in the options menu!

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

I picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic at a thrift store recently and was curious about what's the best build for someone new to this game? What kind of build is best suited for the main character?

Force Guardian, which is the melee centric class, is the only one that gets the Jump Attack ability, which can be paired with Force Speed for extra attacks. It makes wandering the world map mostly trivial, as soon as an enemy enters detection range your character will simply leap toward it and usually one shot it. It doesn't work inside, unless there are high ceilings; and does actually have a minimum range so scripted encounters won't get jump attacks.

If you'd like to actually see your party members fighting I'd avoid taking Guardian basically.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Does anyone have tips for R-Type Command?

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I played and loved that game but it was long enough ago that I don't remember most of it.

The main thing, I think, is that charge attacks (forget the proper name) are god and scouting is their prophet. If you know what's going on, you can line your ships up for ideal attacks once they're charged while keeping them out of enemy fire (which will interrupt charging). So always bring along a ship (or several) with good sight range even if they're lacking in the combat department.

Also, the ships that can repair and rearm your fighters in-mission are drat useful. If you didn't bring one you can dock them at the carrier, but that's slower.

Thanks!

Zushio
May 8, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Your enjoyment of the combat will go up immensely if you don't think of it as an action-RPG but instead think of it as traditional RPG gameplay in real-time. If you're expecting a brawler you'll hate it, if you expect a Bioware RPG with real-time combat you'll probably like it more.

The Towers of Hanoi are in there somewhere, but not till the endgame.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Shoot the butterflies.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

How should I get the most fun out of Crysis?

I've played though about 2 hours now, and I can't find a play-style that seems natural. Pegging enemies from a distance Stalker-style doesn't seem very effective, and using invisibility to disappear from view seems almost overpowered.

Basically just gently caress around and do poo poo that seems entertaining. Pretend you're Mario basically, jump on stuff, throw turtles and spit hot fire.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

7seven7 posted:

I just got Oblivion from LOVEFiLM after somebody told me it's pretty much just Fallout with swords, magic and elves. I sunk about 300 hours total into FO3 and New Vegas so I should be fairly OK with it, but he mentioned that some of the game mechanics are pretty different. I don't have much free time in the next few months so I was kinda hoping to breeze through it without much of a challenge. Are there any classes/builds that'll allow me to do that? Or if not, which is the most fun to play? Also any other general tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've been told that rolling a Alchemist/Archer character and plinking away with poison arrows is actually really fun and east to do, works well even in the base game.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Faerie Fortune posted:

I asked in the gog.com thread but here is also a good place to ask; any advice for someone only just now getting around to playing Alone in the Dark?

Yes, you have to walk through the dancing ghosts at least once.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

What is the go with all the crazy buggy physics then? One that happens ALL THE TIME across multiple Gamebryo games (Fallout, New Vegas, Oblivion), is that when you pick something off a table/shelf, every single other item on that table shifts. What the hell is up with that? You would think they would have been able to fix that across 3 different games.

If Gamebryo is like a lot of other systems, then it probably has something to do with the way it handles objects you can interact with.

Objects like glasses, cups, etc are rendered and then placed in the environment in appropriate places, but they are placed not on the actual surfaces but floating slightly above them. You can see it in a few places pretty obviously if you look, and it's in a lot of other games too. Once you interact with an item it is no longer in a preset state, and when put back down will actually come to rest on the surface it was above and have an appropriate physics reaction.

Probably in the case of Gamebryo, rather than repeat this process every time the player character interacts with an object it just applies physics to all of the objects in the area/room once the player interacts with the first object. Hence, the slight shifting of the rest of the nearby objects.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

itrorev posted:

3)Punch through Wall aug (lets you access hidden areas that typically contain goodies. *Not absolutely required as weak walls can be destroyed with explosives. However, having this aug will highlight these weakened walls an make them easier to find. Otherwise the weakened walls are very hard to spot, you can pass by them dozens of times and never notice)

Okay, so I'm halfway through the second hub and I don't think I've ever seen a breakable wall, and I've searched all over the goddamn place. I assume I've missed several by now then. Gonna buy that aug.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

gohuskies posted:

I'm only about 2/3rds of the way through and I have been punching tons of walls and finding all sorts of shortcuts and loot. It's a must-have aug, in my opinion.

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty much just have fun ghosting past everybody and stealing everything not nailed down. And leaving people's refrigerators on their beds.

Also, I can not possible recommend Gas grenades enough for knocking out dudes in small rooms with hackable objects.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 4, 2011

Zushio
May 8, 2008

itrorev posted:

You mean the Cloaking aug? I actually felt the same way initially, I assumed that it ate up energy way too fast to be of any practical use so I never planned to get it. But eventually I got all the augs I wanted so I ended up maxing out Cloaking.

It actually turned out to be pretty useful; it's great for re-positioning yourself so you can flank enemies, even if they're all shooting at you. And also great for running right smack into a group of them and busting out with the Typhoon bombs. (without the risk of getting shot at). If you're fast enough and use it sparingly you can minimize energy usage.

I agree with this fully. At first I thought cloak wouldn't be useful, but it's drat good for getting tightly timed stuff and positioning. Running around invisible throwing mines in the middle of an engagement is always laughs.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Or don't, it doesn't really affect anything. Other than making you feel like a huge piece of poo poo. I liked the unintended consequence for exploring the office actually since I wasn't expecting it at all, it's not often a game makes you feel like a total fuckup and then let you continue on.

You'll miss a side quest if you wait too long as well. Not one that gives an achievement though.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Combat-Jack posted:

Man I loved this part. I walked down the hallway to those cheering idiots and looked about me. Like some justice dispensing God thought "No...no this shall not do." Without any provocation I proceeded to introduce fist to face for every guy in that hall and ended with one of my best combo chains in that game. One of the few times in a video game where I came out the other end just feeling all

My private goal in both Arkham games has been to beat the hell out of everything living thing possible.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

This is the predecessor to Resident Evil 4. Murder things and murder them in combo to build more points. Save points let you buy more ammo. Ergo, never stop murdering.

The plot is dumb as all hell so do try to ignore it as hard as you can.

The 180 button (R1 I think by default) is a great asset. Quick turning to blast Dinos can be a real life saver.

There are like maybe 2 puzzles in this game and they require the critical thinking that a game about shotgunning dinosaurs requires.

Run from the T-Rex whenever you see it unless the game otherwise demands it, and unless you have a strong weapon fighting an Allosaurus is best avoided.

I have never in 5 times though the game found all the dino files. Use a guide if you care.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Same as above. My friend mentioned that there was a guy I need to keep talking to over the course of the game to get some bonus guns. Is this true, and if so, who and where?

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Basically, although ODST and Reach are both really good.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

blakout posted:

Hey I haven't played much zelda so i'm starting with a link to the past any tips?

Honesty is the best policy.

Pay close attention to your surroundings, if it looks like you should be able to go somewhere there might be a way.

You can interact with nature in a variety of ways depending on what gear you have, keep it in mind if you're hurting for resources.

There is a dungeon that was tweaked in the GBA version to be less annoying, which version are you playing?

Zushio fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 5, 2012

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I pretty much never stealthed in that game and I found it basically trivial on medium. I used a gamepad. The bow is very strong but there's no real reason not to just blast dudes apart with the assault rifle if that's how you feel like doing it.

I played through on hard and Lara Croft was still an angel of death essentially.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

You can hide in bushes in GTA V to evade cops too.

Cops (helicopters included) seem to have trouble if you park under a bridge or overpass. The ground units can still find you if they get close enough, but it's pretty rare they will. Also, cops won't take jumps. There is at least one section where you can jump down from an upper section of highway on to a lower road and they will be completely stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

I just picked it up on the cheap, so have some tips for

Rogue Shooter

Where did you find this cheap? That would be a great tip.