Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I really enjoyed Crimson Shroud and found no real traps or gotchas, but I did get stuck for an extremely long (possibly permanent) amount of time at one point. Not due to a difficulty thing, just that I had no idea what to do and just wandered all over the zone for ages.

I'm sure there are some good ways to break it over your knee though, which I also would like to hear.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Shantae kicks immense amounts of rear end. Now that is someone who should be in Smash.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I saw that the Metal Max 3 translation had dropped. Anyone have any tips?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, the regular blood grenades, and their upgrades, remain incredibly powerful the entire game.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If you want to max upgrade certain types of Armor you will need a lot of gems, all flavors. You will also have a lot of gems if you explore though and frankly none of the items that require gems to upgrade are that good.

Money isn't hard to come by in that game though, just throw your detector on ore deposits and go wild. There is a semi-hidden weapon named a Drillshaft that will always respawn if yours breaks. Its super garbage for combat, but it can destroy ore deposits in one hit and lasts like 100 uses. I almost always had one in my inventory because using bombs on deposits is for suckers.

They also mulch Pebbits and Talos, but it breaks more quickly.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Or just throw a box at them/whack them with a box. Oh, and to throw a box make sure you are holding it in the hand Sam will punch with. Then while punching, release the hold box button. It's pretty loving accurate.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My mother manipulated various Healthcare professionals to get me prescribed Ritalin and Prozac at age 8. I tend to be a little wary of psychoactive medicine.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'd be more wary of your mother, holy poo poo

Oh I am, don't worry about that.

Cardiovorax posted:

Understandable, you just shouldn't generalize from it.

I also understand that and have had treatment from my own doctors with success. Mostly just made me likely to do a huge bunch of research before taking anything. Doesn't help that most mental health professionals in my area are pill pushers of the highest order. One that I quickly had to abandon took all of 10 minutes to attempt to prescribe extremely powerful anti-psychotics. For the mild anxiety I'd been feeling as a result of some issues in my personal life.

I told her she was a corporate shill and left.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 5, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Oh, I absolutely agree.

And might have even given her the benefit of the doubt if it hadn't literally been our first meeting and the only information I gave was "I've been feeling a little anxious lately because...". She cut me off at because, told me she wasn't there to actually listen or hear about anything other than strict medical interactions and handed me the script. Which I did not see her write and she seemed to have ready to go. Plus, I had been on the same one 5 or 6 years prior for a time and it had caused me massive issues. Which I tried to tell her but was cut off again and told once more she was not there to hear about personal problems, just medicine. That's when I left.

This was several years ago, I've found much better help since and have been mentally healthy (for the most part). And the anxiety cleared about 2 months later thanks to another shift in my personal life. It turns out that particular doctor already had a reputation in the area, and was not well regarded by her peers. I only ended up with her due to wait list nonsense.

Edit: Sorry for deraiI.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 5, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Isn't a Nollie just an Ollie in Switch Stance? At least, I think it was in the old games.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This is relevant to all the Yakuza games, including 0.

If you hold down L2 you can hit Triangle without engaging a Heat move. Useful to extend some big combos and such, or just to save on Heat.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Kennel posted:

Hah, I've beaten three of them without knowing this. (hardly matters, since heat conservation is very rarely needed, but nice to know)

It is probably most useful in 3, especially boss fights. Mostly because the bonuses you get for having High Heat are more important than the moves themselves. In that one case.

It also comes up for some of the more complicated Heat moves, like in Judgment. That game has a few that call for something like □□□△△ while enemy is launched △. In this case the first two △s are heavy hits and a launcher while the third activates Heat. If you aren't holding L2 until the third △ you will do a different Heat move after the the first △.

It is totally unnecessary to know this to beat any of the games as mentioned above, but does have some edge case utility. Since Heat moves do less damage every time you use the same one in the same fight it can pay off by using the longer high damage combos that include △ to take down lesser threats.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 1, 2021

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Incoming Effort Post
TL;TR Just do what everyone else suggested. Be warned the Lore sections of the games are almost entirely contained in the last few hours of each game, tied to side content or optional during the modern day sections. This franchise gives out about 2 paragraphs of Lore for every 40 hours of gameplay.

Edit: If you min/max at all, or honestly just level up recruits in the dispatch missions, you have to do the tower defense game in Revalations exactly once during the mandatory, completely impossible to lose tutorial. I ended up doing a second one on my playthrough accidentally, because I forgot to assign a guy to stop it from happening.

Lore wise they don't pick up until the Eizo games like everyone has said. The first one is mostly little tiny drip fed tidbits that are relatively easy to miss. They are all pretty much referenced in the Eizo games.

In terms of how extensive it all is, they keep doling out tiny packets and elaboration with each game, but there are roughly 4 main arcs to the Lore storyline. The actual historical side of things are usually contained pretty neatly within individual games. But usually any meaningful information outside of little clues is contained in the last few hours of each game, often tied to doing side content.

The arc first is covered in AC1, Eizo Trilogy (2, Brotherhood, Revalations) and 3. This is can largely be kept track of because these are the games that let you walk around outside the animus freely in third person. It mostly establsihes the Deep Lore and the ongoing modern day situation. Arguably 2-3 have the most impact on future developments.

The second arc is pretty loose, but does have some clear throughlines. This is covered in 4 and Rogue. It helps fill out the Lore past the point in time where 3 stopped, and also provide significant context for the modern day setting. These games both allow you out the animus, but in a first person perspective.

The third arc is also loose, but has more obvious connections. The related games are Unity and Syndicate. Both again just fill in more time periods in the lore and continue the modern day plot. These games hardly ever let you out of the animus, and usually just to a slightly different menu screen. Any modern day events are depicted in cutscenes only.

The last arc is covered by Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla. They are arguably going all in on the lore and modern day plotlines. They are resolving dangling plotlines from across the series, as well as adding new information. It does dole out that information in a glacial manner however. The games do let you wander in third person outside the animus, but not particularly often.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 20, 2021

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Triplines and Terablast will basically neuter any encounter.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I tried to play it with 3 other people once. It took 3 hours and we were not even remotely close to being done. Pretty sure we completed exactly 0 objectives, completed 0 loops of the board, and defeated 0 enemies with us all having died multiple times over. Everyone was also fighting quite bitterly by the time we stopped.

I know don't play it is frowned up advice, but I really don't think there is any better advice. If you are dead set on trying it read the manual closely and maybe read some guides so you know how the game actually works. If you last more than an hour or two it would be a shock.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Phantom Pain
There is a specific sub quest that allows you to customize weapons freely. You need to the progress the main story until you unlock the second area in order to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

Just picked up Atomic Heart in a Steam Sale and didn't see anything on the wiki.

I just finished it up on PS5 and have a few tips overall. I really enjoyed it, but there are definitely a few glitches and weird choices going on still.

- This is super subjective, but consider using the Russian dub. There is something very off with the English voice acting. To me at least, the English actors just didn't match at all the characters they were portraying and the acting comes off kinda goofy and tounge-in-cheek which makes the plot seem equally silly. Not to say it isn't silly, but the Russian voice cast captures the tone of the world better. There were some glitches with the subtitles when I played.

- The difficulty is divisive. Personally, I found it pretty easy on Armageddon and was swimming in excess resources, ammo, and healing by midgame. Conversely, a lot of people online claim it is crushing and unforgiving even on the lowest difficulty. If you're finding it hard make sure you are actually using your abilities and trying to take advantage of enemy weaknesses and resistances you learn from scanning.

- All the powers are workable, and having Shock as a default ability was a good idea. Personally I used Frostbite and Mass Telekinesis almost the entire game. Frostbite is good for disabling enemies temporarily as well as the extra damage from being frozen. There is also an upgrade to get more resources from frozen enemies.

Mass Telekinesis is just great overall for crowd control, plus there are tonnes of sections with weak flying enemies that can seem overwhelming but become trivial with the ground slam upgrade. Since respecs are free experiment to find what feels best with your play style.

- You can beat 90% of the game using only melee weapons. They are incredibly powerful once upgraded and combined the various powers. Guns were good in a pinch and I kept a variety of options, but it often felt like a waste of time to do anything other than use melee weapons and the special abilities tied to that. Like respecing your character, you get any resources returned to you for recycling your weapons so switching builds and trying new weapons as you unlock better attachments is easy.

- Speaking of attachments, don't sleep in the Test Chambers. They have all the best attachments and some of the best content in the game.

- To throw an object, pick it up with your glove then, very quickly, release the button and press it again before the object drops. At this point you can continue to hold the button to charge the throw. Don't be too excited, most stuff barely goes anywhere. Cardboard boxes are the only thing that goes more than a few feet. Damage seems to be the same regardless of what you throw.