Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Sunday Punch posted:

I've just bought ArmA II, what do I need to know? Obviously it's not your standard fps, so I'd appreciate any tips!

Patch it. There's been a couple of major updates since the release and while the game still has many bugs, it's far better now than it was.

Save regularly. Triggers for missions often don't trigger, so being able to restart the level in the hope the trigger does go off saves you the hassle of playing the whole mission again.

Gameplay-wise (for the campaign or single missions, I haven't tried multi-player yet)

Slow and steady wins the race. You can use the element of surprise to bushwhack your opponents, but generally speaking if you're running around all over the place you're just making yourself an easy target. Linked to this, it's often easier to take an APC/Helicopter close to your intended target then approach on foot rather than barge right in, it just makes you a bit less noticeable.

Make use of the time increase function. It makes crawling across a field much more bearable.

Learn the squad (spacebar) and individual (F Keys) commands, because being able to get your team to do what you want quickly is crucial. I find the team AI ok, but sometimes they do wander around aimlessly in the face of fire and as a team member death is game over, I'd rather they stay alive...

More than anything though, enjoy it when it works. It's not yet a perfect game because of all the bugs, but if you get a feel for the game it's better than anything else out there at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Centipeed posted:

This is likely a long shot, but does anyone have any tips for Battle For Wesnoth?

I've just started the main campaign and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help me win easier.

Well, depending on how scrupulous you are about playing fair, you can always save the game before every attack and reload if things don't go quite your way...

Dodgy tactics aside though:

- Start with a beginner or tutorial mission, which will keep things small and give you an idea of how to utilise troops without getting too difficult too quickly.

- Use troops correctly. Blunt and magic damage are good vs undead for example, whilst piercing damage isn't, and obviously you'll want to enage at range with archers and in melee with combat troops.

- That said it pays to check how your enemy will attack back. Even one attack at range might be worth it if it means your enemy can't attack back.

- Use cavalary (if you have it) to your advantage. Double damage when attacking can kill an enemy outright before they get chance to attack back.

- Use healers. If time allows, heal up after each engagement and plan your movement around the speed of your healers. You can pretty quickly form an unstoppable wedge if you can heal any damage that comes your way.

- Force squared. Basically, kill enemies dead with overwhelming numbers. It maxes your damage while minimising incoming - you're almost always better off focussing on individuals than spreading damage around a number of different ones.

...And a tonne more. However http://wiki.wesnoth.org/AdvancedTactics should cover virtually everything.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Jarl posted:

When I've finished Fear I'm going to give Mass Effect 2 a whirl. I'm not looking forward to the mining mini game, but if there is a cheat (PC version) that auto mines the current planet, or alternatively gives resources, that annoyance would be removed.

Some goggling haven't yielded any results, hence it wouldn't surprise me if such a cheat isn't there.

If you think you'll only play it through once, then really, the mining part isn't that bad. Just mine as and when you need to and don't bother building up much of a surplus. Five minutes here and there will be all you'll need to get through most of the game, or, if you can bear it, a solid hour's mining should set you up for the rest of the game without ever looking at a planet again (almost).

It's only really a chore if you plan to play the game a lot, as what little novelty there is certainly wears off after a couple of play-throughs.

Sorry if that's not really answering your question, but a lot's been said about how boring the mining is and frankly it's not that bad if you don't obsessively strip mine every rock you see.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Any tips for Skate 2? Or is it just a case of practice makes perfect?

I've only had it a few days, I can feel my self getting better, but it's far, far harder than any other skating game that I've played.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Rirse posted:

Need some tips on Alan Wake, Prince of Persia (both Sands of Time and Forgotten Sands), and Age of Empires 3: Complete

Ok, well Alan Wake's pretty straightforward really - the only thing that jumps out as something you might not realise from just playing the game is that it's easier in a few places to run to the next checkpoint rather than wasting ammo fighting.

If you get diverging paths and one way points to your objective, always go the other way because it's probably got pickups. The game's quite blunt like that; it's mostly linear so when it isn't it's always worth checking out the other direction.

Other than that, ammo isn't too scarce, so it's not really a game of inventory management like Resident Evil. Your pistol is just fine for all the enemies, but don't fret about breaking out the bigger guns because you'll still have plenty of ammo for them. Shotgun is about crowd control, hunting rifle has more range - your choice really. IMO the hunting rifle is better, but I found less ammo for it than the shotgun.

Oh, and use flares/flashbangs as much as you can. Again, there's plenty around so always use one if you're in a tight spot.

Finally, chapter 4. Play with the volume at 11. You'll see why...

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Alris posted:

Anyone have any words of wisdom for someone playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead for the first time? Are there any major differences between the two games?

Avoid vehicles. You're far more vulnerable in one than not in one, so unless your forced to get in one, don't bother. They improved them a bit for Warhead, but it's still not worth it or even really that necessary.

I found the game much more fun on Delta difficulty level where the enemies speak Korean rather than English. It also encourages a more stealthy approach to the game which I think is Crysis' strong point. Going loud is incredibly fun, but it doesn't work that often, at least for me. Again, Warhead supports the head on approach a bit more and has some weapons that help with that.

Explore and have fun - it's a solid enough shooter but the best experience is soaking up the atmosphere and fighting like a tough super-soldier in a tricked out suit.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Palleon posted:

Anything about RUSE? Gonna grab it from the steam sale today, wondering if there's any general advice I should know, haven't played an RTS in a while, and this looks like it's a different beast than the others.

The single player campaign has a very long tutorial that eases you in extremely gently, so if you play single player, you'll pretty much get the picture. That said...

The key to the game is basically remembering you're playing Rock/Paper/Scissors where you always want the right unit to go up against the enemy. Don't send light tanks against heavy tanks, use anti-tank guns or ambush with infantry for example. If the enemy has planes, you need anti-air etc.

Because units recover health if they don't die, chipping away at the enemy is less effective than it is in other games, which reinforces the idea of using the right tool for the job and nailing the enemy dead.

Use ruses. Some aren't that useful, others are crucial. It's pretty obvious which are which, but basically if you've got cards spare you're either planning something or doing something wrong.

Otherwise I'd say the game's fairly approachable - I'm not much for RTS games and yet I played through without too much trouble and enjoyed it while it lasted.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just started Alan Wake for the PC, anything important I should know?
I'm just at the bit after you crash in the woods, fairly early on in the game. Really cool game.

Running away is ok. In fact, running away is basically mandated at a few points in the game. If it looks like the odds are overwhelming and you're supposed to be going somewhere, go there - it might be easier than sticking around for the fight.

Also, don't be afraid to use the big guns. Ammo is limited but not too scarce and you can't carry that much anyway so hording doesn't get you very far.

Use flares when you need to too; they really help and again it's use it or (probably) die so don't feel bad about using what you've got.

Turn the volume up when you get to the farm...

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Zotwoz posted:

I've been playing Ikaruga for a couple of hours and it is still kicking my rear end. What do I do to stop sucking?

I'm sure someone will have a lot more knowledge to impart about Ikaruga than me, but here's two things you should know:

First, your ship is much smaller in reality than it appears on screen. It's actually something like a think vertical line down the middle of the ship. So you can 'take' a hit to the wing because it's not actually hit you. That makes tight maneuvers much easier, especially on boss battles.

Secondly, just know what happens on the different difficulty levels. So on normal, ships you shoot of the same colour release bullets when they die, but alternate colour ones don't. Basically if you shoot an enemy of the same colour then immediately switch, you might get taken out by their final shots. So plan ahead for how you shoot things.

On hard they always release bullets on death, on easy they never do. Actually I think that's a third thing - Ikaruga is bloody hard, so don't feel bad about playing on easy with tonnes of lives/credits until you've got the hang of it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

BiggerBoat posted:

I finally got around to picking up Dark Souls today. Mainly, the only advice I hear is bascially "don't worry about dying. Because you will. A lot." Is it like the Dead Rising games in that respect?

You shouldn't worry about dying, because you will die and for the most part it doesn't really matter. Just try and learn from it, and try something new next time around.

I'm not that far in myself, but my advice really would be go where you can fight and feel comfortable. You *can* go to lots of different places right from the off, but you probably shouldn't unless your aim is to suicide run to something so you can collect it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
So imagine I've been living under a rock for the last decade and have essentially no exposure to the Halo series before the Forward Unto Dawn trailer video for Halo 4.

I really like the story/setting - would I be better off starting from the start and playing the games in order or are the games in fact story-free shooters that I can safely play through with my brain switched off? How much would I miss by cribbing the story info from wikipedia and just getting Halo 4?

If I did play the games in order, am I boned because I can't get Halo 2 on Xbox 360? No, wait, 360 can play original Xbox games. Will that look and feel terrible now though? Which is OK since at the minute I'm more interested in the story than the game, but it would be nice if it weren't awful looking.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're interested in the story, start with Reach (and it's a really good game on its own in terms of story and gameplay). Then get yourself Halo: CE.

Ok, cool. Wouldn't have thought to play out of sequence but I guess if that's the game in chronological order that makes sense. Sounds like Reach would be the best place to start.

Thanks!

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Hey gonna dive into Metro 2033 and just wanted to know if there's anything I need to know before I start..??

There's a 'stealth' bit not too far into the game; you'll know it when you get to a bridge with a lot of soldiers on. It's either hard or tedious depending whether you try for stealth or just go loud through it. Stealth works apparently, though I'll be damned if it ever did for me...

It's also about the only time you'll have to attempt stealth, so just push through it and get back to enjoying the game.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

GuavaMoment posted:

The "stealth" part of that segment is not sneaking across the bridge, which is impossible to do. The actual stealth part going under the bridge is a lot easier.

Oh, I figured that out after a couple of attempts - I still couldn't manage it. :shrug:

Eventually just slow rolled it killing everyone.

I think its just proper stealth; most games stealth means don't kill anyone within two metres of anyone else - I can't really remember but I assume I was still trying to kill people during my stealth attempts.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I've played through the first couple of chapters of Kid Icarus Uprising with absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Any pointers aside from growing a third arm to deal with the control scheme?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

limp_cheese posted:

My other question is where should I be building stuff. I know that the lands with bonuses get taken over first but having a keep there let's me lower corruption when they attack the keep. By late game does the corruption spread get bad enough I won't be able to hold those lands and start losing keeps? Is having 3 keeps, 1 crucible, and 1 university enough or should I be building more?

Looking at the bonuses the ones that grant you more xp seem great and the others not so much. Do I have that backwards?

Are there certain items, weapons, or armors I should be prioritizing?

Any other general tips that are not very apparent until after a few playthroughs?

I've played it through to the end once, so maybe don't take me as an authority on this...

I was fine with 3 keeps, 1 crucible and 1 university. To be honest, I can't say that any of the bonuses really felt like they made much difference, so I didn't push for any more.

I was unable to entirely protect all my lands by the end of game - the corruption mechanic of 'here's three, save one' means that by the end, you're shipping corruption and there's not much you can do about it.

I found ranged weapons far superior to melee simply because the small maps and huge numbers of enemies means moving forwards always felt like a bad idea. Killing at range, especially with the no ammo restriction archer types seemed like the best choice. Weapons that pierce were very useful, as well as explosives, just to deal with the numbers. Melee isn't awful though, but I needed health regen or some way of otherwise protecting the melee troops if I was going to use them.

Basically, I just played it though and didn't fell the need to micro-manage too much. It's one of the reasons it felt underwhelming, but this would have been on normal so perhaps hard requires more thought.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
I've managed to never actually play Zelda: Ocarina of Time, so I picked up the 3DS version. I've played through the first dungeon and been let out into the big wide world. Should I just go with the flow or is there anything in particular I need to know? I'm more than happy to put up with it being an old game with old design/controls etc.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Go with the flow it is. Cool; I'll just sit back and enjoy it without worrying then.

Thanks!

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

juliuspringle posted:

Cam someone fill me in on some basic Victor Vran stuff? I have little to no idea what anything is because the standard kill it for being there.

No, you've pretty much got Victor Vran sorted there. Kill everything, enjoy the commentary, approach it however you want. Everything replayable and the fun is in finding the best combination of loadout that works for you.

There's a pretty good guide on the wiki already, I'd only add one thing (and spoiler tags for this even though I think it probably comes up during a loading screen tooltip) The demon mask at the bottom of the HUD lights up when you're near a hidden treasure chest or near the entrance to a secret area containing a treasure chest. So if you're after secrets, keep an eye on it, otherwise finding everything might be tough.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I've done the main quest waaaay past the first village and I never found either of these things. Where are they?

I think the problem is if you take a straight line to the first village, you won't see these things. If you follow the directions you're given, you will do. But directions are for chumps. (Who go back and get the items later, because they're worth having)

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Bizarre Echo posted:

What should I know about Chaos Reborn? I got it for backing Phoenix Point and may as well give it a go.

I haven't really played much multiplayer, so no idea of the meta there, but for single player, some things you might want to know are:

You can hire mercenaries into slots which appear at the bottom of your screen and open up as the level progresses. It doesn't make it massively clear when that limit increases, so keep checking. Having a numerical advantage is always a good thing, but it's massively important at the start of fights because it helps you zone areas of the map and puts the opponent on a back foot from the off.

Also with mercenaries, they last for as many fights as they survive, while summons don't. So if you've a choice between sacrificing one or the other, always go for the summon. Because mercenaries can and will die it's sometimes worth leaving a good mercenary unhired so you can grab them later for more important fights.

Mounts are the only thing in the game that give your wizard an extra hit point, so they're generally a good idea, however note that you can't collect (or even move onto) mana or treasure chests when mounted. Since mounting/dismounting takes a turn each way, you might want to hold off saddling up if there's easy mana or money around to collect.

Beware Magic Bolts - don't get too close to enemy wizards because they might just one-shot you and win a game you were otherwise well placed in.

Area control like Blobs, Woods and Tangle Vine are great for pacing the game, especially if you need to go defensive but also are surprisingly useful on the offense if you can pin an opponent into a corner.

Quantity beats quality. That's probably just play style, but to me the game seems weighted towards quick wins such that taking time to try and get 'bigger' units on the fields doesn't work.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Does anyone have anything for Neurovoider? On the switch if it makes any difference.

I guess it's meant to be pretty hard, but boy it's kicking my arse after a few runs.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
One thing I can think of that you might miss:

There’s a little fenced off area just to the right of your shop. After you’ve killed enough of certain different types of enemy, pet/companion dudes that you can take into the dungeon with you appear there.

It’s been added recently apparently and doesn’t tell you that I can see, so if you don’t think/know to check, you’re missing out on a (little) bit of help.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

PJOmega posted:

Any tips for Moonlighter? Could've sworn some people had advice but it's not in the wiki.

A few more things now I've finished this and feel like I can offer some proper advice:

Jellies and Crystals are crafting items that will drop across all four dungeons. They're used for potions and upgrading items. You almost certainly don't want to sell them - they're not worth much and they're far more useful for crafting than for their monetary value.

If you get to the third floor of a dungeon and open up a portal back to the surface, you must use it to go back as your next explore else it'll disappear and you'll have lost your money. In which case just use the merchant pendant as normal rather than paying extra to open the portal.

Since you can't access your inventory while enemies are on-screen, you can't access potions in your backpack either. So make sure you've a full stack in the item slot before entering a new room - it's embarrassing to 'run out' of potions when there's plenty in your backpack that you just can't get too...

The game gear checks you pretty hard all the way through. If you're finding a level hard, you probably need to upgrade your weapons and armour and then you'll find it much easier.

Apart from efficiency, everything cash-wise in the game can be dealt with by just doing another dungeon run (or five). Unless you're speed-running or something, you can't really make mistakes.

For that reason, the Hawker and Banker upgrades don't really offer too much. If you've got cash spare, fine. Otherwise don't worry.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Athaboros posted:

I didn't see anything on the wiki for it; does anyone have any tips for Duskers?

It's been a while, but the main things I can remember are:

The game's really difficult, so don't take chances. If you get a yellow signal in a room, prove whether it's safe or not another way - like opening a door to a green signal and seeing if that room changes because something has moved into it. And wait longer than you think, because some things are very slow to move when they're not wrecking your bots.

You can set custom aliases which speed up certain commands. In particular, something that tells your tow drone to go to room and tow whatever's there back to base saves a lot of typing. As is a 'gently caress it, I quit' alias for quickly returning everyone to the ship.

I believe that rooms with vents in link to other rooms with vents in, so if you're in a room that has them, don't stay there. It may be safe now, but might not be later. Better safe than sorry.

Fuel is obviously a requirement, so prioritise getting more of it whenever you can.

With that said, I never completed the game - something always goes wrong eventually and failing a mission is so punishing coming back mid-run felt nigh-on impossible.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Spiritfarer is an extremely chill Stardew Valley-like experience that has a couple of really dumb early annoyances that I think people should know about.

On your map, there are a couple of areas marked off by a line, one in particular a blue one to the north west. You can't cross this at the start of the game. If you to try to plot a course through it, the game won't warn you, but at some point your ship will just stop, and sit around doing nothing till you figure it out. You'll need to back up and go somewhere else.

When you're fishing (possibly some other points too) you might receive a bottle of glim. This is currency, but you don't actually get it until you go into your inventory and open the bottle. Same for a couple of other items. So keep checking your inventory. You'll need cash early on and you'll probably have enough if you check your inventory. Again, the game doesn't make this clear at all.

You can put more than one item in anything by selecting it multiple times, even things like the oven where nothing says this is possible.

--

On the one hand, "waaaah, why don't games tell me everything?" On the other, pointless annoyances to a very casual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Talos Princple 2 notes:

- You will return to New Jerusalem, so if you want to put off exploring and just start doing puzzles from the off, you can. (But you really should explore to get more out of the story). However you can't go back there whenever you want, so just be aware of that.

- No puzzle requires anything more than is in the room, and everything has a 'simple' solution. If you're trying to get cute with item positioning or jumping around trying to exploit the landscape, you're likely missing something.

- Puzzles can be solved without using all equipment but generally speaking no puzzle outright misdirects you - if there's something in a room it's useful by at least one definition of a solution.

- That said, lots of puzzles can be 'solved' by weird interactions or straight up glitches, and the game doesn't care if that's how you do it. It's hard enough as it is, so take your wins where you can get them.

- The puzzles tied to shrines very clearly say that this is not the case and expect you to be thinking outside the box.

- You only need eight of ten puzzles on each level to proceed, and the two forgotten/hidden puzzles on each level are not necessarily harder than the previous ones (they're essentially just more puzzles). So if you're stuck, take a look at them.

- If you use a terminal inside a puzzle and spend a Prometheus spark, this auto-solves the puzzle. So if you were after a hint or something more gentle, be aware that this isn't that.