Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

An Taoiseach posted:

I asked earlier, but is there anything i should know before playing The Movies?

If you are playing through the "campaign" game and not just tinkering aroud with the movie making tools, I highly recommend editing the game to give you more employees.

I know some people would say it is cheating and not playing as intended but gently caress, not being able to hire enough mechanics or janitors, or would-be actors, is really stupid decision.

Specialize on romance or action movies as they never go out of style completely as scifi and horror does. (I think the genre interest variations are hard-coded in the career mode.) Pick third if you can afford it, and in the latter parts allways use the PR department to the fullest before release.

When the next achievement level gives upgrade to script writing, try to get it as fast as you can. B-movie shlocks give you some pocket money but A-grade is like winning in the lottery, and bad script can be padded only so far.

Also, decorating the movie lot nicely forgives a lot of actor abuse in the late game.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

L. Ron Mexico posted:

And they're all either empty/incomplete (the ones that were just restored directly from the source or whatever) or complete fanfic garbage (everywhere the guys who made it actually wrote dialogue)
There's some fan-made patches (at NMA for instance, just don't read the forums) that fixes some retarded problems like the ridiculous encounter rate you get on newer computers and the car bugs and other stuff like that, but the content mods are godawful unless you're really like dialogue written by guys that are really into reading source code.

I have to disagree here. The total restoration project makes some quest-lines make sense and adds tons of stuff that is mentioned in original game (Suliks's sister, home village for example) but cut from the original. There are some places were sorely bad "transition-texts" have been added, but overall it is almost "expansion disk"-level addition.

However, I played the original F2 as the Scandinavian english-version with semi-cut content, so for those who did not live in a nanny state that in the 90's had a boner for censoring video games the milage may vary. (I think we had no children and several broken drug-related quest-lines version, blood and such was present)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Bought myself PS3 and some games to go along, any tips for these?

Mafia 2 with the Betrayal of Jimmy DLC,

Red Dead Redemption, on this I vaquely remembered earlier tip on doing ranch missions until got the lasso, anything else I should know?

and Final Fantasy XIII.

Any tips much appreciated. I looked some twenty pages backwards and found stuff for Assasins Creed 2 and Dead Rising 2, so I think those are covered but IF someone still has something, why not.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

al-azad posted:

The guy can be a bitch without kill droid, you have to fight him solo, and it basically turns into an endurance match which might be unbeatable if you didn't stock up before the "point of no return."

BTW you'll see the point of no return coming pretty blatantly. Still, the final level is long and there's another solo boss fight before the final fight.

To be more precise, there is a reason why the enemies in the last level almost drown you in mega-health-hypos. And yes, it is unbeatable if you think that "I already have more than enough of these, just lets get over with this level" and don't have kill droid-ability. Also do not think that earlier encounter is any indication: The earlier confrontation is a joke compared to the last fight if you aren't prepared.

Also as said, the last fight is a solo fight, one of the three/four one in the game, so play style which heavily draws from group dynamic won't work. Actually, now that I think of it, it is rather stupid as there is no reason why you shouldn't have a group at that point. You took care of the cock block that incapacitated the rest of the people just earlier, and you still should have like five other guys in reserve. What are they doing, looking out for a meter maid?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Luisfe posted:

... There is more than one island in Evil Genius?

Welp, time to get mildly addicted to it. Again.

And as I mentioned on another thread, when on the second island, mod the game to allow you more than 100 minions. By giving yourself 200 or 250 minions the job-related bullshit (commando raids to hotels kill all your social minions, for example) is much more tolerable but the game remains challenging.

HOWEVER, in the first island, do not get yourself more than 100 which is the original limit! The game goes crashes in the moving phase if you have more than 100.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

al-azad posted:

The original or the sequel? I haven't played the original but in SR2 the game's technology improves over time so your items are clunky as gently caress in the beginning but become smaller and more efficient as the years go by. The best way to get money early in SR2 is enter an area that's at war and scavenge floating debris. Just be sure you're near the edge of the map because if even a single dominator sees you you'll be dead in a second.

Aim for dominator artifacts, they weight next to nothing and can be sold for crazy amount of credits at science stations. Also some components, weapon systems and drives, can fetch huge prizes. So unless otherwise impossible, loot battlefield for quality, not quantity, and sell dominator stuff at research stations, they sometimes even pay double.

Also, get yourself a hull with afterburner (doubles the speed, damages engine over time), and start running courier missions at hard (highes pay, shortest time). The game calculates the given time limits with no afterburner, so by using it the missions are rather easy, and the extra pay from quick delievery more than foots the repair bill from early-tech engines.

Thirdly, one easy way of making money is agreeing to play police for the shortest time available. If there wasn't any active fighting going on when you agreed to do it, the shortest contract is usually too short for anyone to be robbed and/or killed during your watch.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 25, 2010

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Monicro posted:

I've recently had the pleasure of having Fallout 1 and 2 gifted to me on Steam, is there anything important about those? Like what about this time limit in FO1 I've heard about?

Yes, there exists a time limit in the Fallout 1, but it is not very restrictive and only used for the first part of the story.

In Fallout 2, one easy way to start is to invest in stealing skill, and take the slave trade master's shotgun and ammo from the guards.Also, get the skill which affects the small guns (whatever the name) to a reasonably high level early on, as this is the easiest way of playing for the first game. You can play through the entire game without killing anyone (or dumb as a rock), but for first run the "small arms sniper" with reasonable intelligence is probably the best (least restrictive) option. Also, try to get enough action points to fire a single shot and reload on the same turn, 6 or 7 should be enough as there is a +1 perk later on.

In the first town, try to acquire leather jacket (first armor) and 10mm pistol (first firearm with a clip) in that order. One of the first things you probably do is fighting rats; the pipe gun and knife are sufficient for this and the loot from the same cave combined with random stuff you come up with within town should be enough to buy armor and the pistol.

Anyway, until you do have them, steer away from geckos, and do not accept a mission where you have to add wood to a still until you are equipped to fight them. And whatever you do, do not sell the hand radio you acquire early on for a few easy bucks, you'll need it.

In both games, auto-shotgun is the easy-mode until combat armors and better start to show up.

Comparing vanilla versions of the games, Fallout 1 is more or less complete as is, but Fallout 2 has some broken quest lines and removed content. Most of these can be restored with the "restoration project"-mod, but some people do not like the additions and they are, for the most part, not neccessary.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yoked posted:

I'm playing through Assassin's Creed 2 right now, and I was wondering if you're able to collect feathers and scan glyphs after you've beaten the game or should I take care of all that before I get to the last segments?

For reference, I just completed DNA Sequence 9, so there looks to be about 3 sequences left and I haven't spoiled the ending for myself, so I have no idea what happens once you complete the sequences.

I'm just seeing if I should plan for this since the platinum trophy seems pretty easy to get with this game.

The absolute point of no return is after starting the first mission in the last sequence, although if you have the DLC sequences (12,13?) you probably want to do the collecting stuff before starting them.

Edit: You also can continue playing after the last sequence in free roam mode, but if you want everything to tie up nicely in the end, you have to do it before starting the first mission of seq 14.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 18, 2011

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yoked posted:

Would you say the DLC is worth the money? I've been really impressed with how much the game improved from the first one, so I wouldn't mind paying a little bit to get more out of the current story if it's good.

The Forli one was a tad short but the Bonfire was good and well worth the money. The first one is one hour gig, the other can take longer (there is one especially tricky assassination which can be a bitch to get). For a couple of euros a piece, I guess they are OK.

If you buy them from the PS3 store, make sure to pick the one with the additional Templar hideouts and stuff. I mean they aren't that much but the Templar stuff cannot be bought separately and the price difference is something like 1 euro between the basic Bonfire and the other.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Monicro posted:

LA Noire

Repeating myself from the LA Noire thread since this can be useful.

There is a way to game the system with intuition points. Following has nothing plot-related, but as someone in the original thread complained that this really breaks the system, I decided to use spoilers.

Always keep one intuition point in reserve, as it allows you to see the "use intuition"-page during the interrogation and then just cancel out from it. On that page the game gives a score "XX% of people got this question right after using intuition". This score is a big help on difficult interrogation questions:

If that score is high, 80+ %, then the correct answer is doubt or true, as so many people got the question right after "eliminate one". Doubt and true are usually also pretty easy to tell apart.

If the score is low (around 40, 60%), the correct answer is lie. Because presenting wrong evidence will still make the result book as wrong, its more likely to fail even if the players have initially selected the option "lie" correctly.

If the score is really low (around 15%), the needed evidence is probably A) not the intuitive choice or more likely B) something not on the "obvious path", possibly picked from other, optional site, where the player is not required to visit before that point.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

The GOG forum has a good list. The unofficial patches are all you really need.

If you have the EU disc release (as opposed to the NA release or the GOG version), you will also want the children restoration patch, which solves the problem of every city being infested with invisible, immortal pickpockets.

As for first-time game advice - the little temple tutorial thing at the start is tedious and the game starts out much more slowly than FO1. If you stick with it, it improves dramatically after a bit.

Quoting myself from earlier post;

In Fallout 2, one easy way to kickstart the game going is to invest in stealing skill. In the second town, there is a slave trade master who has a good, powerful shotgun which can be pickpocketed. Also, invest in the skill which affects the small guns to a reasonably high level (60+) early on, as this skill is very much in need if you do not know the ropes that well. It is true that you can play through the entire game without killing anyone (or dumb as a rock with intelligence of 1 or 2), but for first run the "small arms sniper" with reasonable intelligence is probably the best option as it allows several different paths to achieve stuff without gimping the character in any serious way.

Also, try to get enough action points to fire a single shot and reload on the same turn, go for at least 6 or 7, there is a +1 perk later on.

In the first town, stay there at least long enough to buy or steal leather jacket (first armor) and 10mm pistol (first firearm with a clip), preferably in that order. Also notice, that there is one house which you can, and should, loot for everything there is available.

One of the first things you probably do is fighting rats; the pipe gun and knife are sufficient for this and the loot from the same cave combined with random stuff you come up with within the town should be enough to buy armor and the pistol. Besides rodents and other startertown critter, the pipegun is pretty much useless. When you have the leather jacket (or leather armor) and shotgun your survival chances start to climb up, allowing traveling and exploration, as you can either beat weak enemies or run away from tough ones without becoming minced meat on the first turn.

Overall, auto-shotguns could be renamed "easy-mode" until combat armors and better stuff starts to show up later in the game. At that point you really should have shifted to energy weapons or big guns anyway. There also is a way to break the game completely by acquiring one of the best armors in game along with a large stash of other high-end loot before even setting foot to the first town, but obviously this option should not be used on first playthrough.

Anyway, until you do have the basic items - gun and armor - steer away from geckos, and do not accept a mission where you have to add wood to a still until you are equipped to fight them. And whatever you do, do not sell the hand radio you acquire early on for a few easy bucks.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 1, 2011

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

How is this not considered a bug? No other game I have played with physics does this. From what I've seen it is exclusive to Fallout, Oblivion, New Vegas.

It is distracting, breaks immersion and just plain looks poo poo.

Because it is not a bug but a limitation of the game engine. Who knows, it may be that there is no easy fix to the problem; you either have to approximate the item locations (which causes the physics engine to kick in when interacted with) or create painfully detailed save files with 1Gb+ size and 10 min load times.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slavik posted:

In Farcry 3 ... However it can be worthwhile for a few hours early on to clear out a few bases, climb towers and hunt for pelts and hides. This will remove enemies from areas, unlock weapons, increase your xp to use on upgrades and allow you to carry more weapons/ammo/money.

Finally, some of the skills are unlocked only after certain story missions are completed. At the beginning, focusing on playing missions until you see an ink monster (really hard to miss :D ) which unlocks most - if not all - of the skill trees.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get the jade statues as you go

Emphasize on this: some of the jade statues are locked in places which -annoyingly- are visible, but not obtainable until later in the story. You will know when these statues become available, and before that there is no way to obtain them, so just keep playing.

Edit: Also, the health shrines are not used to recover health, they are collectibles which increase the max health. Always activate them when you see one. For some reason I completely missed this part, it was either poorly explained or I missed some popup, and had to spend one session just backtracking.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 28, 2014

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Oh and one other thing. If you own the Zodiac Tournament, all of the collectible statues are in or near the path the story requires you to take, save for one. The last one needs a boat, or patience to swim around the island.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Any general tips for the Civilization 6?

I just upgraded to a rig that can actually run it, and on my first test run on warlord level I stumbled onto the cultural victory when I was era ahead of everyone else and was sort of just trying poo poo out.

I used to play single player SM-BERT on the higher difficulty settings, but was somehow completely lost at some of the finer points of this game.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I guess this is more like "what I learned while I played" but for the Space Rangers HD: War apart

-If you wish to complete the game with a good ending side solely with coalition OR pirates. Doing the pirates quest line and not ending it with them gives you a bad ending.
-The fixed translation still has bugs in it, so expect problems. Most of the Internet help is in Russian, so you really need to pay attention especially on the new text-based missions. Some of them are sadistical, but usually they are solvable optimization problems so you need to take notes. On pen and paper. No, seriously.
-The pirate missions for promotion have problems, and it is best to just google the solutions for the last one. On capo missions, you do not have to do the given three, just go to another pirate base and they will give you more missions to choose from.
-Getting rid of Keller does not get rid of the remnant forces, so you should expect some heavy fights even if the boss slinks away.
-Giving the Terroid a "no-replication" or "open a landing zone"-virus locks you to that ending
-The easiest way of making money is absolutely drug smuggling. Switch to pirate allegiance, buy from the pirate systems and sell to the planets which have "excellent" reputation. Always bribe the local authorities afterwards to avoid problems. Drug smuggling is also the easiest way of making pirate points.
-GET WINGMEN. Even with the top-of-the-line stuff you cannot survive or kite the battles, unlike the original Space Rangers 2.
-You can always switch you allegiance from pirate to ranger and back at the pirate base. If you switch, the pirate-held systems will have poor reputation, which is the lowest not-attacking reputation.
-You really should start the pirate storyline either at the start of the campaign, or latest when the galaxy hits the atomic vision-level of tech.
-The assassination missions against pirates are miserable because they have fast ships and the AI is rigged to run away, so only accept those where your target is a diplomat or transporter.
-Use the search-feature of the newsroom, especially if you are smuggling drugs. Guns are also something you can do, but why go for the next best thing when you can go all in role-playing Pablo Escobar? Albeit, guns are usually more readily available in larger numbers.
-Use the business centres to buy new bases, especially military bases. Otherwise pirates or dominators will run the coalition over. Even if you are a pirate you can use small amount of money to bribe everyone away.
-Always take every upgrade which increases your armor value or shield power. 1000+ hull, 800+ speed, armor of 40% + 20 is something that you should aim for the endgame when the entire galaxy runs on full tech.
-Only buy hulls with the afterburner ability; the AI does not understand that, and it works almost always as the "see you later s**tlords" option. It also allows you to kite enemies and on raiding runs on the systems where the AI assault was not successful.
-Always sell mechanoid tech at the science bases, they pay full price regardless of your economy skill, and may even pay double price.
-500 credits per cargo size is always worthwhile, even in the late game. The best prices of drugs is ~800 bought and 1800+ sold.
-Skip out of the battle immediately and manually guide your ship to pick up the expensive stuff left by the enemies. If you are winning a battle the AI rangers will show up and will prioritize the high-prize items.
-The "autobattle" -feature is not very clever and you should start doing manual assignments for targets and location if you are against anyone who actually is capable of being a threat. The AI even knows how to play against the autobattle, and tries to lure your ship to the middle of its pack.
-Most of the planetary robot battles are line fights but with a poor UI and aggressive amount of micromanaging. They pay well, but unless you like them you can, and should, turn them permanently off since you will not miss anything important story-wise by doing so. Be aware that selecting "create a landing spot" with Terron will lock you into one.
-Some of the best top-end gear will have negative effects on your personal skills in trade off for something else. For that, you can take drugs at the medical bases. If you made a fortune on the drug smuggling, (3+M credits), they are chump change and you can laugh off any negative module effect with a suitable prescription.
-Equipment upgrades at the pirate base are much cheaper than at the science base, but the science base "top tier" upgrade is always better than the pirate upgrade. Remember, that you can upgrade each component just once, and you cannot detach micromodules once you insert them to components.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 30, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pillars of Eternity could use some extra hints for the first parts of the game, such as
-The first part of the game is pointlessly bleak, and the mood gets noticeably less sour after few hours.
-The basic game gives you all other NPC group members besides Barbarian, Monk and Rogue. If you are playing first time and do not want to micromanage everything in every fight, play Fighter, Paladin or Ranger.
-There is a hard point of no return involving a legal hearing at the midpoint of campaign. Do that only after you are certain that you wish to continue the story and you want to skip rest of the side missions.
-There are hidden caches in almost all maps starting the very first one. You find them by sneaking around and they contain very good loot.
-Collect everything all the time. In this game the stash is not a box in some location, you can drop and receive stuff from there at all times. You can also collect things directly into the stash box. Making enhancements requires stuff found in wildlife maps, collect all bushes, berries and mushrooms you can find.
-You can ignore the army raising mission as long as you like, and even if it is sold "you need to do this now" its meant to be done in late game.
-Relatively easy way to make money in the Act 1 / early Act 2 is to sell plate armors, and everything dubbed "fine <something>" since they pay 200+ cps per item.

EDIT:
Also add
-There is no reason to ever run with less than the full party of 6 members. Do not take any extra missions or try to tackle side dungeons before you have full party, they are designed around having six members. Follow the story until you get a fighter NPC from the first town; after that you will find more NPC characters by visiting places, talking to people and following the roads, almost all of them are obvious based on the discussion with them. In a pinch (or not wanting to just walk around) you can hire a couple of custom characters from the inn. Since the base game does not give barbarian, monk or rogue, it would be wise to manually create those; they have their uses later in the game.
-Some content was added after launch or with DLC expansions; there is no strong in-game messaging that you are now entering DLC content. This also means that some sub-maps and places are beyond your level even if you can, or are expected to enter the "main map" of the region.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 13, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Red Dead Redemption 2 tips could usean extra warning for the story mode, telling that the mission "Banking, the Old American Art" in Chapter 4 will trigger an intermission leading to the last act of the story, which pretty much goes on railroad tracks that point onwards.

If you just wish to do some unharassed hunting, fishing, exploring, camp activities or some other stuff, this is the point of no return. Take it when you are absolutely certain that you mostly just want to see handful of new stranger missions and the rest of the story.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

In Satisfactory it should be said that at least for the V0.3.5.4

-The desert starting area is actually the best starting area in the game. You should rush for the first Tier 3/4 update via the starport to get coal mining to automate electricity.

EDIT: Everything you need later is relatively close, and if you rushed to the Tier 3 coal mining you do not need to go full Brazil on the few spots of biomatter and biofuel in the region.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 27, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Thanks to the various folk replying to my Q - that's been super helpful!

This "you can recruit anyone" extends to the regional leaders and ranked mercenaries. They also tend to be legendaries and are available if the last used attack was non-lethal.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

An easy way to do this, I've found, is to use nonlethal arrows for the final blow. They do a good chunk of damage so I find it a lot easier to finish the enemy off with a few of those than trying to find the right moment to switch to your fists (pitiful damage so the last sliver of health can take a surprising amount of time) or do a perfectly-timed spartan kick (if you gently caress it up and don't KO the enemy you have to wait for it to come off cooldown; plus it takes an ability slot which you may or may not want for something else).

The latter two options are perfectly valid mind you, I just found the bow easiest personally.

The combo attack while unarmed is also considered non-lethal and does relatively reasonable damage, and parry works also empty handed to recharge that with a quick counter set.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm treating RDR2 the other way around: a big ol' world for loving around in at my leisure while ignoring the plot except in as far as it gates my access to certain types of items.

Its also annoying that in single player campaign there is no point at which the entire map is available and all collectibles are completable if you want to do it as Arthur while still inside the actual story.

EDIT: So my tip is to not overtly worry about getting collectibles done before you hit the end credits, because most of the collectibles have stuff in the Blackwater in South and its soft-locked until way way way into the overall story.

But do keep in mind that "Banking, the Old American Art " is a sort of point of no return, so take that mission only when you definitely want to advance the story because for the next several hours you will be railroaded into a side story after which some things are no longer available. Its the next mission after the one in which you assault a residence and which ends with a body being tossed from boat into the swamps.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 6, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

That's what Yojimbo is for. Literally pay 2 win.

I'd also add as a tip that "check out from the Internet how Yojimbo works" because the game in the PS2 era really did not give you any idea besides "throw some money at it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Truman Sticks posted:

Isn't Yojimbo a late game/post game summon? I wouldn't even mention him in the context of "Before I Play"

If they didn't make any substantial changes he can be found during the campaign by being thorough on one dungeon on the latter half of the game.