Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone got tips for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast? I'm having a hell of a time keeping my inventory well managed. Right now I have three objects that are probably gonna be used for puzzles, a small key and my knife, gun, ammo, etc, so I can't pick up an item I need to finish a puzzle. Apparently theres no drop item option, and I have no items I can use to get rid of. I'm in the Police Station, is there somewhere to store items I just overlooked or something, and will I have to be running back and forth to storage places a lot for puzzles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I might just restart with these tips. I think I'm almost out of the precinct, but I'm out of ammo, and almost dead, and have a dog between me and all the shitloads of healing items I left where they were. Thanks everyone.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Breakdown for XBox
I'm borrowing an XBox since mine is dead and I have about a week to beat this and Chronicles of Riddick. Riddick I think I have down well enough, but I don't think I even finished the tutorial of this before my XBox died. Any tips for beating it quickly?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Don't be afraid to turn it down to easy because the game is HARD AS HELL. Other than that there's not really a lot to miss as the game is pretty straightforward.

Dear god, you're not kidding. I think I'll need to get used to dodging and blocking.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Well I learned another tip for new players for Breakdown: It might randomly ignore the fact you have any save games. :argh: gently caress you Namco.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Started playing Pharaoh, with the expansion, because I thought it would help me with my horrible base/city building in normal strategy games. Nope, I can't even get through the Pre-Dynastic Period. I just got entertainment buildings, and I have one housing unit that won't improve. It's near a water source, a temple and a juggling school, and close, but not too close to a bazaar, a fire station, a police station and an architects station, the town has enough food, and single digit unemployment, but all it says is the area is undesirable. This one housing unit is stopping nearby ones to not improve, causing a chain reaction of not improving. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Astfgl posted:

Sometimes there are topographical "undesirable" spots on the map, that will just always be undesirable. If that's not the case, I usually just demolish the building and stick a plaza or something there.

Okay, that kinda sucks, but it makes sense I guess, I'll try destroying it.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

And here's a helpful hint, don't bother racing Canary Mary the second time in Bubbleworld or whatever it's called. It's not worth the trouble at all and if you're an achievement whore it's not tied to anything.

Real men do it anyways though. :colbert:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Picked up a Japanese Dreamcast copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for decently cheap at a con this weekend. Any special things I need to know about either the Japanese version in specific or the Dreamcast version in general that would be different from more modern ports?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OxMan posted:

Unless I'm mis-remembering or mistaken, you'll basically never be able to unlock all of the characters in the JP version of the game without a gameshark or something similar due to the fact that some characters are only unlocked by (at the time) taking your VMU to japanese arcades and downloading character data from the arcade machines.

If you're looking to download the data on the VMU, if you check GameFAQ's Shenmue 1/2 FAQ pages there is a VMU hacking guide which will allow you to use the same method to place a "complete" VMU save of MVC2 with all characters unlocked onto your VMU.

VMU.

Ah, dammit. That's what the insert in the manual was explaining. I'll look it up, thanks.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

F.E.A.R.

Use your Reflexes(/Slow-Mo/Bullet Time/Whatever You Wanna Call It) fairly freely, and always be aware of your surroundings so you can use your environment to your advantage. It's one of the few FPSes out there with more than half-way competent AI. Also, hitting enemies dead on with a grenade isn't USEFUL, per se, but it's very pretty. The game has some very fancy particle effects that make the resulting cloud of vaporized "human" bits look oh so nice.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm on Sequence 8 of Assassin's Creed 2 and some of the platforming is getting really frustrating. Is it because I'm using Mouse and Keyboard, or is the camera and turning just as bad with a gamepad?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 9, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

PJStelford posted:

Playing Assassin's Creed 2, and this may be a stupid question but I have no idea how to start the DLC chapters. It is a little bit frustrating.

Just warning you, prepare to be disappointed by the first DLC. It's short and even then, it's just padded with normal fighting instead of assassinations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Follow the instructions in this thread to get it looking pretty, after that, it's up to taste.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Okay, I am about to get back into Morrowind again.

What is the best way to run faster? Because my god, my character runs so slow. Is there a way I can level up athletics really fast? How do I get more fatigue (stamina)?

Try to find an athletic trainer and run everywhere. Boost Strength at level up for more Fatigue. You're weak as poo poo when you start out unless you cheese character creation to the max, and even then, you'll just be decent, so just keep training at all the skills you want to use.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

CardTech posted:

So my buddy keeps insisting that I play Legends of Dragoon, as he is always raving about how that is one of his favorite games of all time. Anything I should know before giving it a try? I've never played it and I know absolutely nothing about it.

The battle system is a very love it or hate it kinda thing, so don't feel bad if you end up not liking it. Other than that, it's a pretty standard jRPG, so if you've played jRPGs before, don't expect anything mindblowing.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

10bux posted:

I've been on an rpg craze this summer and recently picked up Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I can't loving believe how much different poo poo there is in this game and obviously I have a few questions.

Firstly, I'm a combat Nord, with some points in destruction. I'm currently level 1 but I could easily sleep ~5 levels. I'm about halfway through part 1 of the main quest.

When should I level up?
Should I buy spells and weapons, or just pick up stuff while doing quests?
Should I focus on trade skills or wait until I've progressed further in the game?
What guild should I join; and when should i try to join?
Another other information would be helpful.

It's no where near as hard as people say. Leveling up only makes it harder if you go for pretty much a completely non-combat build for major skills.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Bayonet whenever possible. Not because it's particularly good, but because you'll feel like a hardass when you bayonet someone with a submachine gun because they panicked when they saw you charge them.

AFAIK, Red Orchestra is the only commercial FPS where a mass bayonet charge is a legitimate tactic, and because of this I will always love it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I finally fixed my Saints Row 2 crash problem, it was because I had a non-360 Gamepad plugged in. Now that it's working, I know there was a few mods suggested for everyone to have. I installed Gentlemen of the Row and SR2 Powertools, is there anything else I need?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Omega Hans posted:

Yes, I have played the first game and BG 1&2 but I'm clueless on 3.0e.

Instead of low THAC0 being good, high AC is what gives you lots of armor. That's probably the most major difference that will absolutely screw you over if you don't figure it out.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

sexual rickshaw posted:

It looks like I'll have a cart-only copy of Knights in the Nightmare heading my way soon, and knowing what I've heard about this game, it's a daunting task to learn it, so, where should I start?

Honestly, it's one of those games where playing is the best way to learn. The in-game tutorial is good enough for the basics, and if you get stuck, you can grind items and levels in the practice areas. Also, don't force yourself to play on Hard or try to get every character the first time through. You'll fail.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Monkey Island One and Two on the 360?

Just use the hints when you get stuck, and in One, look under the table, not on the stove. You'll get it when you get there and save yourself a lot of rage.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

I just bought Blacklight: Tango Down on steam, what should I know?

You should know that you just got screwed. There are lots of balance issues that COULD be fixed in a patch, but the devs have said they're not gonna fix any of them because they're working on their next game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Anphrax posted:

Also curious about Puzzle Kingdoms. Why does the computer always do so well? :(

If it's the same/similar AI as that in Puzzle Quest, which I assume it is since it's the same devs, it's probably just paying better attention to cascades than you, plus confirmation bias where you look for times it's doing better, but ignore times you do well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You guys are thinking of The Suffering.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Just got Assassin's Creed and Ninja Gaiden 2 on clearance at Gamestop. Been a while since encountering the former, and I played NG1, but anything I should know going in?

If it's Assassin's Creed 1, don't worry about doing absolutely everything. Yes, you CAN go for all flags, all pre-assassination missions, etc, but you don't NEED to, so don't unless it's fun for you.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I picked up the Strongbad games when they were $5 on Steam a week or two ago, just finished episode 1. If I uninstall Episode 1, will it keep my saves or delete them? I wanna go back and finish doing all the side stuff in Extended mode once I finish the series.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

The complete list of things you need to know about Assassin's Creed 2:

* The game never tells you this, but you can buy/learn new combat moves from the training guy in your villa.

Seriously? That's great to know when all I have left to do is about half the feathers. :\

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, I just picked up F Zero GX the other day. Any suggestions for overcoming its legendary frustration causing?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Picked up Cities in Motion. I'm good enough to barely keep in the black with an occasional loan or period of waiting, but without loans I never hit the 5 digits in the campaign after initial setup. Is there a good guide as to how to design routes efficiently? Not a walkthrough of the campaign, but just something to show me the basics of route design to get me to the point that I can keep afloat on my own. The tutorial just shows how to place routes and that's it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Picked up Cities in Motion. I'm good enough to barely keep in the black with an occasional loan or period of waiting, but without loans I never hit the 5 digits in the campaign after initial setup. Is there a good guide as to how to design routes efficiently? Not a walkthrough of the campaign, but just something to show me the basics of route design to get me to the point that I can keep afloat on my own. The tutorial just shows how to place routes and that's it.

Reposting from the last page. All I've found myself is a really short guide based on excerpts from a city planning text book that didn't address game mechanics, just general theory.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
DoW 1 and 2 are completely different games. DoW 1 is a traditional Starcraft/C&C/AoE style RTS with base building and large armies of generic units. DoW 2 is small scale tactics based based combat with unique units, and no base building.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Any tips for Little Big Adventure? It doesn't seem to be on the wiki.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Every monster drops at least one "rare" component. These are usually used to create nice stuff, so if you fancy the grind (at least it's fun to fight monsters) then it might be worthwhile. Apart from that there's nothing fancy.

The drop rates are way too low IMO. It's like the developer thought "Oh, 33% chance means they'll get one every 3 battles!".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
"I flipped this coin 4 times and got 4 tails! What kind of witchery is this!"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I only bought Guild II Rennaisance, before someone mentioned it doesn't have a tutorial. So tips for it would be helpful, please. :p

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lord Nelson posted:

I just bought Two Worlds II- what should I know before I dive in?

There's no set classes, so you can mix, say, archer and mage, or mage and warrior skills. You just end up sucking at both if you do though.

Also after the ending you can finish every side quest except those on the tutorial island. There's no plot reason, you just can't.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In REmake for Gamecube, is Mountain Climbing hard and Hiking normal, or is Mountain Climbing normal and Hiking easy. The manual writer is a dick and just says it's a tricky question.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

McKracken posted:

It's been a while for me, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Once you beat the game you get options to make gameplay much more difficult.

Sweet, mountain climbing it is. I love Capcom, but they do some weird annoying poo poo sometimes.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are there any major issues with Gears of War for Windows or differences from the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

DarkDude98 posted:

No major issues that I recall. The biggest difference is a whole new act (or at least chapters in an act, I forget which) and a couple of multiplayer maps.

Thanks. I'm digging it so far. I'd just like to add for anyone in the future, play with Post-Processing on Vivid or Muted. The default and the other variant are ugly as sin. I prefer Vivid personally.