Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Any tips for FFVII? Bear in mind that I don't intend to do the ridiculous endgame stuff like Ruby and Emerald Weapon. Right now, I just out of Gold Saucer, so I'm not exactly at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Poison can stack several times in FFVII. I can afflict it on that Japanese boss about seven times to negate that drat healing he does. I should have used it more often as it worked on several bosses.
Wait for it to kill them and defend.

Consider my mind blown. I love using Bio and have relied on it up until now, but never noticed it stacking.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Also, a lot of the later bosses (Lugar, for instance) will use specials on you automatically every time you use a level 2 or 3 special, so make sure to order your allies to stick with their level 1 specials.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Morwan posted:

Shining Force I/II/II
* Spam heals in easy battles. If you wait until they're actually needed, your healers won't get any XP.
This doesn't work in SF1, at least not on the new Sonic Ultimate Collection or whatever. Healers don't get experience for healing units at full health, nor does any unit get experience for using healing items.

Morwan posted:

* If you can, wait until level 20 for your first promotion. You still get good stat gains.

That's in SF1. In SF2, you can promote at level 20 but should wait until 40.

Also, in SF2, use Slade (the rat thief). He is terribly weak when you get him, but he promotes to a ninja and ends up one of your most useful characters. Also, use Master Monks if you can (promote a priest with a vigor ball).

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Morwan posted:

You should spam heals whenever you take damage, even if it's only 3 or 4 HP.

I should've mentioned, but it applies to every SF game except SF2. (SF1, 3 and SF CD).

Naturally. I sort of implied it when I said 'at full health,' but that clarifies it. Also, I've only played 1/2, so I couldn't speak for the others. Have SF3 Ep. 2/3 been translated? I heard that only Episode 1 made it to America, which turned me off of trying it out.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

FFTA2
As soon as the weapon that teaches Double Sword is available, switch your humans to the Ninja class and let them learn it. Even if they aren't physical fighters, they'll at least be able to equip two weapons at once and learn techs/skills/spells twice as fast.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Patzor posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Tales of Symphonia?

-Look up what combinations of EX-gems are required to grant your characters the EX-skills you want. It's rarely a good idea to equip solely level 4 gems. Also, once an EX-gem is equipped, it can't be removed (only destroyed), but by the end of the game you should be rolling in them.

-After releasing the seal at the Tower of Mana, the next step will be to head towards Hima and fly to the Tower of Salvation. DON'T GO TO HIMA. First, return to Ossa Trail (where you first fought Sheena), enter the cave, and defeat the Sword Dancer.

-Be nice to Zelos, and always keep him as your avatar with the level 2 EX-gem "personal". Talking to female NPCs will earn items based on his luck stat.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Tales of Symphonia:
The stuff you can customize is usually better than what you can buy.

Never sell weapons or armor.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Honestly though don't worry about it too much, the only thing you can potentially gently caress yourself on is not scanning something that only appears briefly like a boss. And the only rewards for that are generally artwork if I recall.

I don't think this happens at all in Prime 1, but the sequels have bosses that you'll have to scan multiple times to get all the data on them. Some have multiple parts (head vs. body), some have minions, some change partway through the battle.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Scanning everything is one of my favorite parts of playing through the Prime series :colbert:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

For Ecclesia:

Pay attention to enemy weaknesses, as you will need to be able to switch your glyphs in and out on the fly to be able to kill anything quick enough. Otherwise you are going to die a lot.

You are going to die a lot regardless. Stick with it and learn from your mistakes.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Any tips for Rune Factory Frontier? I just started and am on Spring day 6 or 7. I haven't gotten an axe or fishing pole yet and would like one soon, and I got to the end of the first segment of the Whale Island cave but couldn't figure out how to get through the door. I figure I'd just spend more time farming and the game would let me know how to progress, but I want to know if there's something in particular I should be doing in early game.

p.s. already noticed that mining isn't broken like in the original

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

So I just got Killer 7 ... for cheap. Any thing I should know ahead of time?

MASK is a generally useless character outside of necessary plot moments; you get extra blood for knocking off limbs and hitting weak points but MASK's grenade launchers just kill without allowing you to get blood. However, he does have the best cutscenes and becomes a superhero so that's pretty cool I guess.

Kevin sucks and is never useful. I don't think any puzzles require you to use his invisibility power outside of one where you have to get through a laser grid. Don't use him and don't waste your vials on him. Put them all into Con until you get his auto-lock ability, then farm blood with him to pump up the character you really want to use (not Kevin/MASK).

Ulmeyda's weakness is his afro.

The fast girl running around and is the only "standard" boss, use Con against her; everyone else is a puzzle/game.

Sidenote: describing Killer7 makes you realize how hosed up a game it is, but it really is one of the best games I have ever played.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

What's the best Disgaea game between the PS2 and DS? Do I need the storyline from the first to understand what's going on in the subsequent games?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I just picked up Civilization III: Gold Edition on the cheap. Any advice? I checked the wiki, but there's only stuff for Civ4 and Revolutions.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Thanks for your response.

I'm fairly new to the series. I played the original Civilization but couldn't figure out why I always ended up using more gold per turn than I was producing. I also played Civ Revolution a lot and enjoyed it, but wanted something a little more in-depth and challenging.

Specifically about CivIII, I'm not sure how to use my workers. I thought it would tend to be worth more to irrigate the areas around my cities rather than mine them, but leaving my workers on auto tends to result in no irrigation. Should they not be auto-working?

Secondly, how can I produce more science? It seems my research is always going slowly, especially compared to research rates in CivRev. We're talking 12 turns minimum for any research I've attempted through about 4 hours of play so far.

Also, tangentially related to gold production, what buildings are necessary in cities? I imagine that I really only need one city with a barracks and should specialize gold/science cities with banks/libraries, but what else? Aquaducts for population growth, but I don't want to build too much and lose tons of money.

So far, it seems that defense/fortified units are absurdly overpowered, to the point of me not even wanting to build an offensive army past the initial exploration stage. Is this true, or am I doing it wrong?

I think my problems hinge on not building enough cities. Early game, before researching construction and being able to expand my cities beyond 6 population, I wait until a city reaches its growth limit and then start pumping out workers/settlers. It seems like a good strategy to maximize food/trade/production, but I notice that the computer keeps their cities with low population (and almost no gold either), so what's up with that?

Feel free to be wordy, but if "strategy" is something a bit beyond this iteration of the series, that's fine. I really got it because I want to get into a proper Civ game before CivV comes out and it was :10bux: with CivCity included.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

StoryTime posted:

:words:

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Were any of the Shining Force games on the PS2 any good?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Yeah, I know they're not SRPGs :( Feather didn't come out in the US, though. I guess I'll have to make do replaying SF1/2 over and over again.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Frankosity posted:

I just started Shining Force 2 for the Sega Megadrive. Since I'm playing it on the Ultimate Collection I'm basically playing blind, and have no idea what stuff like Terrain Effect is. Can anyone give me a short rundown of the essential stuff I need to know not to totally screw myself over?

There are certain items that you can find to allow you to promote certain characters to certain classes. Look up their locations. IIRC,

Vigor Ball: Priest -> Master Monk
Pegasus Wing: Knight -> Pegasus Knight
Silver Tank: Archer -> Brigand?
???: Mage -> Summoner
???: Warrior -> Baron

With the exception of the archer upgrade, these are all worth taking the time to find, ESPECIALLY the Vigor Ball. Master Monks have the highest attack in the game, turning your healer into a loving machine.

Summon magic works differently than other magic. First, when you promote to a summoner, you lose all your spells. That's fine. However, where as regular spells deal a set amount of damage regardless of the number of targets, summon magic deals a large amount of damage spread out over the number of targets. So if you cast DAO on one guy you might do 30 damage, but on 3 you might do 18 each. Keep that in mind.

e: Also, and this is only important for min/maxing, you can promote your characters at level 20. However, before promoting, you can continue to level them up to level 40 in their base class if you choose. When you promote them, they will go back down to level 1 and have a max of 99, so in order to truly max their stats you'd want those extra 20 level-ups before promotion.

Cliff fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 7, 2010

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Some special promotions are horrible. Your golf cart Brass Gunner characters are slow as hell. The Pegasus Knights have high hp and no defense, but they ignore terrain. Barons don't get the defense boost in place of their swords.
There are hidden game modes with fast play and enemy control. There is also a timed battle.

I think the Pegasus Knights are worth it because mobility is everything in this game. Case in point, keeping Warriors/Gladiators in your party tends to be an issue as they have a hard time getting to the frontlines at the same time as, frankly, the battle.

Brass Gunner: +def -spd
Master Monk: +atk +being a badass
Summoner: gets summon magic
Pegasus Knight: ignores terrain
Baron: +mov -def

e: but I'm with you on Brass Gunners. Frankly, I don't keep the archers around anyway, except Mae, as she has enough mobility (outside of forests and deserts) to keep her useful.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Any advice for Pikmin 2? I've played it a couple times before but never beaten it, and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything (like tips on beating the burrowed buzzard heads).

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

There aren't a limited number are there? I mean, I can keep going underground to respawn them at purple flowers right?

I remember that barbell I needed 100 purples for that I never got.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Bluetooth human being posted:

In Fable 3, once I become king/queen, will I ever be able to go back to the game proper? Exploring, doing quests and jobs, that sort of thing? Or should I have done everything before that?

The point of no return is "121 days remaining". At that point, DO NOT visit the throne room until you're done doing everything you want. The game gives no indication that this is the point of no return.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Any tips for Megaman Legends 2?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Tyma posted:

Inspired by watching far too much Game Center CX, and in-spite of terrible past experiences with 3D Zelda games, I've finally got around to trying out Legend Of Zelda : Wind Waker, and I'm really enjoying it, and determined to beat it without glancing at an FAQ. Any advice besides "take your time and enjoy it" (Which seems to be the only thing mentioned so far in the thread)?

It should be noted that most 3D Zelda games end with me hitting a wall, leaving the game for a few days, and then coming back to hit my head against the wall until I realise that I'm not enjoying the game at all, and playing through Link To The Past to take my mind off it.

The game took a lot of flak prior to release for the cartoony art style, but as I'm sure you've noticed already it's gorgeous and stylistic, plus the lighting is awesome.

As far as tips go, you're going to spend a lot of time sailing from island to island, and it can get pretty boring. You may notice major cyclones from time to time, and if you approach them, a dude appears and sends your boat flying after a brief struggle. Shoot him with a few arrows and you'll be able to use his cyclones to quick travel.

Use the special maps you get. One shows the locations of all the great fairies, which give you the ability to carry more rupees, bombs, arrows, and magic. Another shows you where extra heart containers are. Very important.

You'll need a lot of money later in the game to get maps translated.

If you feed a fish (with bait), he'll give you the map for an area. This makes finding treasures in that area much easier.

If you get too frustrated during the big fetch quest at the end, just know that's the only terrible part (aside from the stealth portion at the beginning).

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Anything for Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis, the GBA one?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The "What should I know before I use Google?" Q&A!

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Anything I should know about The Darkness or its sequel?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Grawl posted:

5. You require 5000 effective readiness to get the best endings.

I think that changed to 3100 with the extended cut DLC.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Are there any recommended mods for Knights of the Old Republic a la the restored content mod for KoToR 2?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Odd posted:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

So far I've gotten to the end of Telos and either the game is a LOT harder or I just suck at it now. I'm playing a Light side sentinel, with 2 swords, and I can't hit anything worth a crap.

Until you get Master Duel-Wielding (third level I think) you will have a hell of a time hitting anything with two weapons. Keep only one equipped for now, and later make sure you have a balanced weapon in the off hand (it will say if it's balanced in the item description).

Also, make sure you max out the force power Burst of Speed and the feat Flurry. Burst of speed will give you two additional attacks per round and flurry another one, at no cost if they are maxed out.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Final Fantasy XIII-2

You don't need to play (or finish) the first game, because there is a nifty little explanation of the plot on the main menu! (Beginner's Primer)

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I have a few Final Fantasy XIII-2 questions since Cliff mentioned it:

Should I bother with min/maxing (it's kind of weird that this is in there) for leveling? I have a feeling that it doesn't make that much of a difference but I'm not 100% sure.

I figure it can't hurt. Some basics:

When leveling up in the crystarium, there are small and large orbs. All orbs give a set stat boost regardless of the class you are levelling up, but the large orbs give a bonus boost based on what class you level up in that orb. You can min/max by controlling which bonuses you get.

For example, I want Noel to be my main COM guy and a physical attacker. Therefore, I will save all his COM level ups for large orbs, because that gives me a bonus +2 STR per level, a total of +196 or something at level 99. Conversely, he will never use magic, so I want to make sure I never level up his RAV on a big orb (+2 MAG).

e: As to whether it makes a difference, I'm about 15 hours in (just reached Academia 4XX) and have found battles on the easy side, but YMMV.

Cliff fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 15, 2012

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I've never played Baldur's Gate, should I start there or is it fine to just go ahead with the sequel?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

YggiDee posted:

(Pokemon Black 2)
1) TMs are now infinite use

:aaaaa:

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Anything for Skyrim or should I just go in blind?

Enemies will scale to your level, so make sure you're leveling up your combat abilities, be in one-handed, two-handed, archery, conjuration, or destruction. If you dick around towns crafting, stealing, and selling, it is easy to gain a few levels without getting any better at combat, effectively handicapping yourself for a bit. However, it's not nearly as bad as in Oblivion.

Dungeons, caves, and ruins also scale to your level, but are fixed the moment you enter them. If a cave is too difficult, leave and come back.

None of the lockpick perks are really worth taking, IMO, since you find so many lockpicks. Wax key is kind of cool, but not worth the 4 perks (or however many) you have to spend to get it.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Anything for Resident Evil 6? Specifically, is there any kind of store where I can sell all the extra grenades and remote bombs I'm carrying, or should I just stop picking them up?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've already found some helpful tips in this thread and on the wiki for Final Fantasy X, but more advice is always welcome.

More importantly, what would be the funniest name for the main character? Preferably a secret villain's name or something else that would make for unintentionally hilarious conversations, like naming Kotor's protagonist after a certain someone.

Name him Sin.

Also, weapons don't have any inherent attack strength stat, so attack damage is wholly due to the character's strength. The only attributes weapons have is the modifiers they come with (or you give them). Same goes for armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The plasma cutter still owns.

The Javelin Launcher is pretty cool. It can be used to impale enemies against walls (so can the arms you rip off of them :black101:), and the secondary fire electrifies the javelins you've already thrown. I'm not sure how much damage the alt fire does, but it has good stopping power.