Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Anything special I should know about going from Shogun 2 to Fall of the Samurai expansion? Both single and multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Help me out with Dragons Dogma. It seems like a lot of fun, but I just get my rear end kicked by 15 bandits as soon as I step outside a town. I'm around 2-3 hours into the game, playing a fighter with a ranger main pawn.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

mitochondritom posted:

I think for IWD1 some good points of advice are :

1. A bard is worth taking along. In IWD the designers actually made having a bard useful, in that they get a variety of different songs when they level up. I think a level 11 bard can basically give the party HP regeneration which is really good. One good thing is to give the bard some heavy hitting AOE spells, as he levels faster than a mage and so will have access to them earlier giving you an edge. IWD likes to throw lots of monsters at you.

2. It is worth spreading weapon proficiencies around. There is nothing to stop you having a team of dagger users, but its probably good to have at least one guy who could use any weapon.

3. You need a thief, there are so many locked boxes and traps full of good loot, it really pays to bring one along. I would say a multiclass is fine because you are unlikely to do much backstabbery.

4. Druids are also great, unlike the BG games druids have a lot of cool offensive spells. They are definitely worth bringing along.

Thief, yes but dual classed as a mage. One warrior for tanking (your PC). Rest should be mages :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

thebardyspoon posted:

Anything for Shogun: Total War 2? Played most of the tutorial set of missions, going to finish those off later (think it was at the sieging the castle mission) but seems like there's a lot the tutorial won't cover.

Single or multiplayer? For singleplayer I really used one strategy in battles: lure the enemy in with cav archers, wear them down with foot archers (half my army was foot archers), meet them in melee with naginata samurai (highest armor) and shock them with cavalry charges. Add some other units for flavor if you feel like it. During the "clash" just maneuver your cavalry archers to snipe the enemy leader and protect your archers.

You don't kill much but you're routing the whole army instantly if everything goes well.

For the "map" and economy stuff: have a few designated training towns, have the rest just generate money. Go naval early and get those trade routes they are ridiculous for income. Acquire all generals you can and stack them in one army (in the beginning) and you have your murderstack of cavalry archers

For multiplayer it's a whole different story, though the game went to poo poo after the expansion

edit: For Dark Souls, try out various weapons see what works for you. For me (and many others) the Balder Side Sword was the best choice because of it's versatility. Quick slashes in close melee, or long range stabs. Really enjoyable two-handing style too!

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 25, 2014

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Kruller posted:

Anything for Thief for someone completely new to the series?

Don't look up guides or walkthroughs

Don't change your strategy when you encounter supernatural enemies. Some people think the game turns into a hack&slash for some reason

Play on hard or expert if you can. Normal locks you out from some areas

Start with Thief: Gold, if you don't like that jump to Thief 2. Deadly Shadows (3) is great if you still like the setting, but it has a janky game engine.

Story is really good in all three games so don't skip the cutscenes, read all notes you find etc

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
anything for Tokyo Jungle? I got the basic gameplay down but it seems it will take forever to unlock anything

I wanna play elephant :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
ok my backlog has grown really much lately, so I need a little help with a few games. All on PC but I prefer to play on a couch via gamepad

I've played Witcher 1 and 2 for about 15-20 hours each but lost interest both times because something was loving me over in combat (I don't remember exactly what part). I really want to finish them before Witcher 3 comes out, what's the recommended "combat" spec for making the games easy?

I really liked Dragon Age, should I bother with the 2nd game at all? Or is it that bad?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm gonna be diving into Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 (The room) most likely in that order. Anything I should know, without spoilers?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Any reason you are skipping Silent Hill 1? Silent Hill 3 references it quite a bit.

Don't have a PS1 :(

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

al-azad posted:

How are you playing the PS2 games?

On a PS2 slim, I heard it's not backwards compatible. And I don't have SH1 either

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

al-azad posted:

There's a short list of incompatible games. But you should definitely play the original before the third game as it's a direct sequel. SH2 and The Room stand on their own.

Ooh thanks I'll try to track it down then

Anyone know how Warhammer: Dark Omen is on PS1? or Diablo 1?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Yeah play the first one for sure, it's a good game on its own even though a bit dated. I haven't finished 2nd game and loved Infinite

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

skooma512 posted:

I've been thinking about finally beating Dragon Age Origins. The combat confused me and I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. Any tips?

make your PC a rogue, use Alistair and 2 mages (Morrigan and some other I don't recall). Alistair tanks, rogue does damage, one mage heals / damages and one mage crowd controls / damages

combat becomes a slog so here's a trick to cheese many fights: park your rogue stealthed in a doorway, have your mages cast AoE spells into the room

Starhawk64 posted:

I bought Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. Any tips, especially concerning the new character creation options?

You want a balanced party because you want to distribute the good loot around. There's some leeway but you definately want one warrior, one thief, one mage and one cleric. You can dual class some of these, mage / thief works fine. Rangers get sick damage later in the game

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
just got The Long Dark, anything I should know? I played for about two hours, so far I'm just breezing through from place to place while hauling tons of loot in several trips. Is there anything else to do, or just "survive as long as possible"?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

DiseasedTempest posted:

About to start Fallout Tactics and I'm looking for some character building advice. Is Intelligence still the most important stat by far?

Yeah, for quick character development. Agility isn't as crucial as previous games, if you are playing on continuous combat.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Gaggins posted:

Anything I should know about Bloodborne? Didn't see anything on the wiki. So far I've found out that there are no backstabs - say it isn't so!

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but the shield you pick up is still goddamn useful for your first playthrough. Keep it up when exploring new areas, enemies can jump out of nowhere and at least you'll block one hit. Then you obviously switch to 2-handed, pistol or torch, in actual combat the shield is loving awful. It's meant to protect you against surprise hits.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just bought Dragon Age: Inquisition and after spending a few hours I'm not very impressed. Still in the first area (hinterlands), and the game seems like a single player MMO. I mean, fetch quests for 10 pieces of ram meat?. Does it get any better or should I just cut my losses here already?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
thanks, didn't know there was an active DA:I thread!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Gonna start a coop of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance soon on the ps2. We finished the sequel just yesterday (dunno why we didn't play in order) and honestly we barely understood the game mechanics. I was just an autoattacking barbarian and the other person was a healer / buffbot for me. What can we do to have more fun? How does the gameplay differ from 2nd game to 1st?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
And if you're tired of tomb raiding, hop onto the 2nd game. I prefer the first, but Thief 2 has mostly "human" levels

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
XCOM 2 is 12bux on humble monthly, what should I know? I played the previous game, and kinda sucked at it

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I bought Dead Space 1 and 2 for PS3. They come with all the DLC, which means all weapons DLC. In the first game, in the ingame "store" I see lots of different types of guns with names like "scorpion" and stuff that cost 0 credits. I assume, if I want a "balanced" first run, I shouldn't touch those?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just bought Space Hulk Deathwing on PS4 because I like big stompy 40k boys. Anything I should know? I'll mostly be playing solo or with randoms, I don't know anyone else who has the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Anything I should know about returning to No Mans Sky? I played a lot at release (and kinda liked it), but the VR update has me so hyped and I want to try it again.

In the same vein, anything I should know about returning to Minecraft? I played this a lot too during release (2011), but am also wondering about giving it a try again. The latest update I remember is the end dragon update if it helps