Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Crows Turn Off posted:

Ski Free
-It is impossible to win, so don't even try.

This is true. People thing the snow monster is a boss to be avoided, but it will always get you, that's just the end of the game. Something to do with memory limits.

Morpheus posted:

I've played Disgaea, had some fun with it, so picked up Disgaea 3.

Oh god help me.

Take it easy. Don't worry about what characters to make early on in the game, just play it however you want. The level cap is 9999 and you can reincarnate to go back to level 1 at any time. You have literally hundreds of hours to work it all out. Healer characters gain exp from healing now, so bear in mind that you don't need to have them throw the last punch to level them up any more.

Also spend some time practising to make sure you know how to handle geoblocks properly, there are some pretty puzzling levels later on.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

Capsaicin posted:

Just borrowed 360 Left 4 Dead from a friend. I won't be playing it online, but will be playing local. Any advice?

Playing local and system link co-op and versus is also extremely fun. I recommend system link versus for 100% reliable, 0-lag gaming with buddies in the same room.
For any L4D advice, you should be checking the thread here, and the many tutorial videos on youtube, they'll provide you with everything you need.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 28, 2009

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

To anyone who has, or is considering a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game:

Practise mode. It always surprises me how many people overlook this and post things like "I'm sooo stuck on Painkiller it's such a long song and the solo kills me every time!! There must be some trick to it." The answer is always play the section you're struggling with in practise mode until you can do it.

Hell, I use practise mode more than the regular game modes when I'm playing alone to brush up on specific parts of songs that I'm likely to break combo in when I play with my friends.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

InsanityRocks posted:

anyone got any tips for Bioshock its a game i've been meaning to complete and never really got around to it

Unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, don't worry about dying. Ever.

Again unless you're playing with vita-chambers off, the way to deal with big daddies is as follows: hit it until you die, then keep hitting it. When you die, you simply respawn at the vita-chamber with no penalty, and the big daddy retains its HP from before you died. Unless you're far away from a vita-chamber and don't feel like a couple minutes of walking, you never need to worry about using health packs.

The most powerful weapon is the wrench when you combine it with the stealth-related abilities like bonus damage from behind and freeze.

Saving little sisters yields greater rewards than killing them, it just takes slightly longer to get the reward.
When someone's standing in water, lightning bolt the water. When you set someone on fire, they will jump into water if it's available.

Hack absolutely everything. Cheaper items, security drone helpers, extra shop items and probably more that I can't remember. It's easy to do if you're playing on the 360, and even easier on PC.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 8, 2009

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Corridor posted:

What are achievements exactly (I don't have a 360)? Are they just e-peen or do they give perks somehow?

Pure e-peen. Every game must have 1000 points of Gamerscore worth of achievements (Xbox live Arcade titles need 300 IIRC) and while some are pretty intense and worth trying to achieve, some are a little silly.
Good game for achievements: Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Beat each instrument/difficulty, get above a certain amount of points on a song, buy out all the custom character stuff, beat the hardest songs. When someone has the "beat Through the Fire and Flames on expert difficulty" achievement, you know you're in for a challenge online.
Bad achievements: Gears of War had one to kill 1000 people online. GoW2 had one to kill 100,000 people online. Many shooters have things like this, where you're rewarded just for grinding and grinding and grinding. One of the Avatar games was possible to get 1000gamerscore in a couple of minutes using the tutorial level, here's the video.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Playstation 1
Some of the gems of my PS1 collection(particular favourites bolded):

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Worms (the original, before it went all cartoony)
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus
Little Big Adventure
Jumping Flash
Kula World
Johnny Bazookatone
Soviet Strike
Pandemonium!
Gex
Rascal
Parapper The Rapper
Bust a Groove
Broken Sword 2
Discworld

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

I've just started playing Little King's Story, anybody have any tips or interesting lesser-known gameplay features?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Events happen depending on the time of the day, like in Chulip.

As in the actual time, not ingame time? Will I be missing out on anything if I only play at night?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

I've just gotten the L4D + L4D2 pack from Steam. Considering I suck at anything even remotely resembling an FPS, am I going to have a hard time or is the game so much fun that I won't notice how much I (probably) fail at playing with any degree of skill?

It's not like your standard run+gun FPS. Check out the Goon4Dead steam group thread in private servers. It will almost certainly be frustrating while you're learning to play because it is not very forgiving at all. Most Special Infected will render you helpless almost instantly, but your teammates can save you.

As survivor:
-Get a cheap microphone if you don't have one and use it to communicate with your team.
-Stay with your team at all times. Going alone = you will probably die. At the very least, you'll take more damage than you would if you were with your team.
-In L4D2, melee weapons are extremely powerful and can kill the Tank, toughest enemy in the game, in seconds. Each different melee weapon has its own small differences, so get to know which one you like best.

As infected (versus/scavenge mode):
-Attack with your team. You are relatively weak when you attack solo, unless it's a spot where you can isolate one survivor and his team can't come to save him.
-Learn the best attack spots for you. The different Special Infected play in radically different ways and need to attack from different positions. Usually, attacking from rooftops is a good bet for most situations (people generally don't look up and spot you).

I'm Sinistar on Steam, if you want you can add me and I'll help you out learning the basics in L4D1.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Can anybody add to the wiki? I'm trying to add a new game to the list and it wants a password.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Centipeed posted:

So, if you want to add tips to the wiki (Page 30 was the last page added, so you'd have to do from page 31 onwards if you want to contribute.) then I can email you the password.

Thanks, I wouldn't mind doing some of this. email is futurist2017 at live.co.uk

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

MF_James posted:

- These games are more of a waste of time than any other game I've ever played. I quit, and you can too.

And money.

Subscription-MMO tip #1: Quit playing, and see how much money you save.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Astfgl posted:

That applies to most fights in the game, except cliffracers. Levitation, increased speed, and jump spells will substantially confuse most enemies and give you a huge advantage, particularly if you combine them with marksman or ranged destruction attacks.

Levitating will actually make most humans run away scared, even town guards.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

I don't know if this can be done on a Playstation 2.

The PS2 resets when you open the tray, so without a case mod (they exist for bootdisc-swapping) it is impossible.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Artix74 posted:

Picked up the Oddboxx in the Steam sale and I'll be firing up Abe's Oddysee as soon as it finishes downloading. Anything important to note?

To add to Lightguy's advice, you only get the 'good' ending if you save (almost) every single worker. It's been a while since I did it, but I seem to remember that you can leave a maximum of 3 dudes behind without getting the bad ending, but you're not allowed to kill any.
I'm probably wrong, so somebody please correct me here.

What I know for sure is that Abe's Oddysee is a dick about hidden paths. In general, look for tiny falling pixels rocks to indicate a ledge that you can climb up or down, and the spray-painted Mudokon smileys usually indicate a secret. There are even hidden paths in some of the hidden paths.

Don't be afraid to use a guide if you want to rescue them all first time, because you are guaranteed to miss some of them.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 27, 2010

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

I just got Civilization V. It's my first Civ game aside from about half an hour of Civ4 and I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong/could do something better after about an hour and restarting.
Is there anything that I specifically should be doing with every civilization I start?

Any helpful features that I have probably missed would be cool too.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Kennel posted:

Yeah, the easiest difficulty is very forgiving.

I don't like that Deity is described as something like "Only the best players in the world will beat this setting". :(

opaopa13, I'm the same with a lot of games even without those features. I'll just stick at it then, habit-breaking time!

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

thanks, I figured i was pushing my luck with just me and my housecarl rocking it, especially when getting my head kicked in by the automatons in that dwemer ruins. I do have conjure familiar so i'll let him do my dirty work

Another thing to know is that your companions can die, but only if you strike the killing blow. If they're beaten by an enemy, they'll crouch/catch their breath and enemies will ignore them, but if you accidentally hit them while they're like that you can finish them off.

Also if you plan on using Sneak ever, don't take companions because they are retarded and will pull enemies towards you.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

I've started playing Final Fantasy XI with some friends, are there any useful things I/we should know about?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

About to start Dead Island from gamefly, tips? I am pissed that it doesn't have local coop that's the whole reason I got it, but oh well.

Jumpkick, Headstomp. Repeat.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

FTL: Faster Than Light

My first game went ok until I got boarded and all my crewmembers were slaughtered.

Help me please, I am bad at space.

It's a pretty hard game. I'm not that great at it either, but it's usually best to target shield>transporter>weapons>engine if you're using standard weapons, prioritising engines if they're trying to run. With the Kestrel, I'll spend a rocket on taking down their shields then power down to save ammo.
Rockmen and Mantises are the best at combat, so try to have at least one of these in your crew if possible. Also, try to lure enemies into fighting in your sickbay as your crew will be healed and theirs won't. One more thing, don't be afraid to run away when it looks like it isn't worth fighting. If an enemy ship's going to take off 75% of your hull and you're only going to gain 30 scrap for winning, you should high-tail it ASAP. A good indicator of this is how often they're getting through your shield VS how often you're getting through theirs. Most games will go pretty fine, until you run into a ship that's built in a way that directly counters your set-up (they have missiles+ you've focused on shields, they're about to board and you have a crew of Engis), and you should leave those guys alone.
I hope someone can provide some more advice!

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 9, 2012

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Pick the pendant, the creator of the game himself said that it is very important.

Has anyone picked the game's code apart to find out if anything is linked to the pendant? I know people do it with stuff like Minecraft all the time, but obviously Dark Souls is a little more complex.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Seedge posted:

Got Catherine free on Plus, any advice?

Don't be like my housemate who arbitrarily plays every game for the first time on Hard. Hard mode in Catherine assumes you've already learned all the necessary techniques by completing Normal, and makes you use those techniques before the parts in the story where you're given tutorials for them.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

I think the crux of his reply was how is he supposed to know when the final hour of the game begins if he's never played it before.

As long as it's decently written and you're paying attention, you should pretty much always get a feeling of 'I'm approaching the end of the story.'

Is there anything anyone can advise about Dungeons? I've had it on my Steam library for ages and haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

I did it on Normal, then 1999. 1999 mode has a couple of serious bullshit sections that you will probably have to look up and cheese, but for the most part it's very challenging but do-able and rewarding. I don't know if it's true, but I read that in 1999 mode, you have a blanket 50% damage penalty on all weapons from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Ezzer posted:

What should I know about Bioshock Infinite's god-damned moral choice bullshit? They decided to make the consequences of your actions far less transparent in this one and I'm caught wondering if it's gonna be one of those deals where unless I go fully goody-two-shoes or fully drowning-orphaned-kittens-for-fun then I'm locked out of an ending/some end-game content.

For real though, I wanna know if stealing that prototype heater shotgun is gonna come back to bite me in the rear end or not :v:

Stealing the Heater sets the guards off against you, and the heater only comes with one clip so it isn't worth the hassle.
Not pulling your gun on the ticket guy gets you stabbed in the hand which Elizabeth bandages for you, though the bandage sometimes doesn't appear and sometimes does in later scenes.
Pulling your gun on the ticket guy doesn't really do much at all other than not making you need the appearing/disappearing bandage, since Elizabeth freaks out at you killing the other guys anyway.
The other choices like which piece of jewelry you choose makes no difference, though sometimes the brooch(?) changes when you go into other dimensions.