Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm looking to play System Shock 2 again for the first time in a while. What graphical mods should I look at to update the game a bit visually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ToxicFrog posted:

First of all, everything you need is hosted here.

SHTUP is an unalloyed good, it upgrades a lot of world textures with much higher-resolution versions.

Rebirth is more of a matter of taste; it replaces enemies with much higher polycount models, but this necessarily changes the visual style of some of them a lot as well. It's worth at least checking out.

Straylight's ADaOB is not a graphical mod, but is basically an unofficial patch, fixing a shitload of minor mapping errors (things stuck in walls, accidentally indestructable or super-fragile weapons, etc) and typos in the game text, along with some other fixes.

I still haven't found a weapon models upgrade I like, so let me know if you find a good one. :)

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Out of the box, Oblivion is a pretty bad game. I did sink about 200 hours into vanilla before I started modding the poo poo out of it, though. Bethesda is still pretty good about creating immersive worlds and games, as unexciting as TES4 was.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Count Chocula posted:

Fallout: New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is currently on it's way to me. I should have it within the week. What do I need to know? I know about Wild Wasteland and the goony Easter Eggs.

Unlike Bethesda developed games, Speech is a very good thing to invest in.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cliff posted:

Are there any recommended mods for Knights of the Old Republic a la the restored content mod for KoToR 2?

Last time I played with the KOTOR1 restoration mod, there was all kinds of unnecessary crap - most notably, a Hutt in the middle of the Dantooine Enclave.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

2 Support
1 Sniper
2 Heavies
1 Assault.

I usually always roll with 2 Heavies because goddamn those rockets, and they just get better as you upgrade and level your dudes.

I roll with 1 support, and 2 Assault though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anything on Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Didn't know you could upgrade his bike, but yeah, upgrade those cars. Also put the bull horns on top of Trevors.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Hank Morgan posted:

Any advice for playing or recommended mods for SWAT 4 + expansion?

First off, great loving game. One of the best. I never play it with mods, but I do force all the high quality graphics options for the game in my graphics panel (16x AA, etc.)

I honestly don't think it needs mods at all. I'm going to reinstall it now that you mentioned it, hot drat.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There is no "good or bad", rather, you have the Open Palm and Closed Fist. Open Palm being more sympathetic, Closed Fist being more decisive.

You can set your followers in support mode (do this) where they regenerate your health/stamina/chi depending on the follower.

Not much other than that, it is pretty "on rails", but, in my opinion, one of Bioware's finest games before they went off in the Mass Effect direction. The tropes are pretty generic, but really, just pick a style/character and go with it. Enjoy The Last Good Bioware Game (TM)

Make sure to talk to your companions after every major event, in order to get the most out of them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

James Woods Fan posted:

Any tips for Final Fantasy XII? I am not interested in that weapon you have to read a FAQ for though.

Try the International Zodiac Job System version if you are playing on emulator or whatever. It is the "definitive" version and is pretty good altogether.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There is an expansion coming out soon that fixes many of those gripes. For what it is, it is a good game and certainly worth playing if you are a fan of the setting.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Seejay posted:

Anyone got any beginner tips for Fallout: New Vegas? Thinking about kicking it off for the first time. Also any vital mods?

Josh Sawyer made a mod for the Ultimate Version that basically balances the game and does a little design cleanup. It could be considered an official/unofficial patch of sorts. There is also a stutter remover that I'd consider if the hitching in the Gamebryo engine bothers you.

Aside from that, there is a giant thread on modding on these forums, although I recommend just playing through the game and enjoying some great writing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Oblivion and Skyrim endgame is basically modding out all the poo poo (and there is a ton of poo poo)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Holy poo poo, HD FF10?!? I'm way out of the loop these days.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Looks like I have some Blitzball to play, gentleman.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Not getting all the stardusts is depressing when you realize what you're missing out on.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks for keeping that wiki alive, you beautiful goons.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Great post, Magres. Thanks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any tips for Dawn of Discovery Gold?

In addition to what others have said, remember to eat, drink, and poop. Hours and days will pass faster than you could imagine.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anything for Aarklash: Legacy or Might & Magic X Legacy?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Nothing for Divinity Original Sin on the wiki, any suggestions?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There is a dice game in one of the first villages where you can save scum and make loads of money if you're patient

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fan mods for Titan Quest? Please do tell. I loved that game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Tell me about power gaming KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 (Restored Content Mod) for fun and profit.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Save yo' typewriter ribbons.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Metal Gear Solid - you should probably play The Twin Snakes version if you can track that down... for Gamecube but I've seen it be hella expensive before.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Invisible War was an OK game when it came out, has a ton of shortcomings but it is not a good Deus Ex game.

Still some interesting ~~ lore~ bits but the shortcomings (small level design mainly) are really terrible.

I remember beating it on Xbox when it came out, the load times between each zone sucked rear end but with a SSD these days it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The guys with gold names are backer NPCs who have their own backstory or whatever, but that is the only thing they have (not critical story related, etc.)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Untrue, they give really good loot when you murder them

did not know this

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think the GBA Advance Wars and the Fire Emblem games are great, some of the best in the genre. Bonus points for being able to emulate on most phones/handheld devices these days too.

I think both series are an example of games that get better with each iteration, or at minimum are as good as the predecessor.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah you can go to all the hubs in whatever order, pretty much whenever you need to.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What does this thread have for Dead State in terms of character builds, priorities, etc.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I don't get mmorpgs. People seem to love them and seem to have fun with them and I've tried wow like 4 times but I really don't see the fun in it. You either kill something, collect something via killing or kill a one bigger thing while you level up and your fireball gets bigger. That's it I guess? Why are they fun?

great post for the What Should I Know Before Playing This Game thread, thanks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MGSO includes an unofficial patch (although it isn't "the latest and greatest" but its good enough.

For a `~~~`~`` LORE FRIENDLY ~~~~`` MGSO install, I recommend these options:

code:
	Trees:
		Solstheim
		Mournhold
	Ascadian Isles:
		Vurt Lorefriendly
	Ashlands:
		More Branchy
	Grazelands:
		Vurt Lite
	Bitter Coast:
		Vality (NO balmora trees)
	West Gash:
		Vurt Lite
	Grass:
		More Colorful
	Solstehim:
		Grass
	Misc:
		New Voices
		Dagoth Ur Voices
		Fireplaces
		Animated Containers
		Left Gloves
		New Magic Sounds
		New Game Sounds
	Armors:
		Detailed and Reflecting
	Crosshair: (preference)
	Heads:
		Improved Heads
	Lighting:
		Realistic Brighter
	UI:
		Vanilla UI
	Better Bodies: (underwear)
	Magic Items Glow:
		Shimmer
Although the only choice for Crosshair is the moon & star one.

Skip animated Morrowind and better Heads and install this head replacer instead.

There is a good guide for updating MGSO 3.0 here to the latest with the latest fixes and what not for the mods inside, although not completely necessary, especially if you're not familiar with modding Morrowind.

The other things I recommend:

- Enabling "Swift Casting" in the Morrowind Code Patch (makes casting spells work like Oblivion by pressing V, even when you have weapons out)
- Set your draw distance in MGE-XE to 21 cells, which is similar to Vanilla but still good.
- Set crosshair autohide in MGE-XE.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Nohman posted:

You can buy either a silenced pistol and shoot everyone in the head before they even know you're there to make the crappy game a cakewalk. Or you can buy a grenade launcher to blow everyone the gently caress up and make the crappy game a cakewalk. These are both immediately purchasable in any weapon shop.

This is good advice

The only other skills I found worth purchasing were the ones that made driving better, the one that disabled helicopters (although the camera is such a piece of poo poo that it is really hard to work) and the ones that manipulate the game world in some way (bridges, etc.)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do you goons have for Underrail?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

juliuspringle posted:

Does Enemy Unknown ALWAYS shove you at the next mission when you finish a mission?

:xcom:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

poptart_fairy posted:

With Pillars of Eternity is there any advice people have for upgrading the Stronghold, or can I just be really sloppy with it and not worry too much?

The stronghold, is, as of right now, completely worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Anything for Kerbal Space Program? Did all the tutorials and am going to try the career mode.

Don't worry about the body count