Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Talking bout Mass Effect: Andromeda.

So I got it a while ago and dip in and out. Got a lil past the meet with the "noble savage" Avatar homies. The upgrade and crafting systems are impenetrable. There are 3 places menu consoles to walk to before you can identify a good gun to build, build a good gun, and remember to equip that gun 10 minutes later.

I've built my personal weapons around level 2. You get locked into your upgrade path on guns due to research/resource constraints. Anybody got any words on what builds are decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mg2 is decent imo

I FEEL ASLEEP

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Stick of Truth and Fractured But Whole have very different combat systems. gently caress Al Gore he will betray you into a super tough fight. Worth doing his quest, just not the first quest you do.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Personal preference. Would you want to take a course in chemistry and have the theory explained or would you like to head straight to the lab and mix unlabled beakers together?

If you go youtube I suggest Nilaus for accessable sperg, A_Raving_Loon for a working spaghetti laid back approach, and Katherine of Sky for some of her plug and play blue prints. The differences between 0.15 and 0.16 are largely cosmetic. Videos for 0.14 has different recipes, so theory and game mechanics are still sound, but you may or may not be able to rip the blueprints too well.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any advice for Star Traders: Frontiers? It seems somewhat dense and complex so far, and light on the tutorials or in-game explanations.

The campaign escelates into being unforgiving. There is no shame in dropping that dude and his bullshit at any point in the process. If you let his daughter onto the ship you will have to win a spacefite. The smuggler trait did npt help me hide her.

Edit: Also gently caress that daughter. She totally did it. No, I will not try a 5th time to complete the chains that disprove it. Least not until aunties questline gets finished.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 2, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But hubris... I beat the 3rd stage to ninja gaiden, I'm not gonna let this boar keep me from getting through the stage.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dark Souls 2 story: it was my first souls game. After the firelink shine I wandered to the not-first area where there's stone giants and the fat boss from the first game. I didnt know there was that first area so I slammed my dick into all those stone giants until I was able to kill the fat boss with starting equipment and no way to buy healing items.

You dont have to make the same mistake. If you leave firelink shrine and you dont see undead peasents then turn back and look fpr the other path.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mystery at hog island posted:

Anything for someone who played a LOT of Civilization 5, but is totally new to Civilization 6?

gently caress man, its hard to explain. I did the same and I bounced off hard om civ6. Best I can warn you on is that the play is... Slower in development. Districts matter in a way thats hard to articulate. Golden rule is to try to put a city next to a river in the early game, one tile off a river or a mountain after your 3rd expansion to facilitate aquaducts.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

chairface posted:

Space Empires 4 :colbert:

Masters of Orion 1

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

All I know is that apparently the devs are racist because persons of color are under-represented in 15th century Bohemia. :thunk:

They are racists for their vehement defense against putting people of color in 15th Century Bohemia. Upon being shown proof of people of color in 15th Century Behemia, they dismissed it in a super tone deaf way. They pride their game on "realism" and health potions exist in their game. Waypoint was where I got this news from.

If you got an idealistic brand against games made by people with bad politics, this is one of those games. If you want a skyrim like, complete with a clean-face mod, this is one of those games.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My new parachute account will just respond to every request with "Don't play videogames".

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wolfenstein II

* NEVER stop moving. This is a run and gun shooter closer to DOOM than Call of Duty.

* Try not to stealth so hard like Dishonored. Most combat sections end up a murder rampage.

* After you meet pig, you can go into the mess hall pantry ang grab some potatoes to feed him between every mission. This does nothing mechanically. I do it between every mission.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any advice for how to get started in Dawn of Discovery? I have that and the Venice expansion, and was thinking of starting in on one or the other. From just booting up the game, it's not immediately apparent whether there is some tutorial or starter campaign. I didn't see anything in the wiki on this.

Any basic advice for starting out? Is there in fact some tutorial I'm missing? Perhaps an even more basic question -- with Venice content installed, is the entire game just Venice now (and if so, should I first play without the Venice content installed?)

I put a good 12 hours in. If you want a chill experience, just turn off the AI opponent in the sandbox mode. The best way to describe it is that the presence of the AI opponent creats a timer and necessitates a build order so you dont get land blocked.

Missions are effectivelt a cool fidget spinner that generates a lil bump of cash while you wait for resources to generate. Never spend too much time with negative cash flow.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

I wish. Tell that to Konami and their newfound love of Pachinko and mobile games.

Have you seen the MGS Slot and Pachinco machines? poo poo is top notch gambling spectacle.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The gameplay loop for the first 20 hours of MGS5 is unlock a subsystem, play with that subsystem for a bit, then do a story mission which unlocks another subsystem. There are soooo many mechanics that get introduced, but it is paced out in a smooth approachable manner. Nothing is mandatory.

Also, don't fret too hard about staffing ypur base. Just keep collecting dudes like pokemon (tranquilizer darts are SUPER EFFECTIVE) and about every 3-6 hours of game time spend a good 15-30 minutes sifting through your roster. Good rule of thumb is fire everyone who has the lowest grade in their department, fire everyone with a troublemaker skill unless they are at the top of their grade, and only keep low level dudes if they got a vital skill.

Spoilers for the Wandering Soldier sidemissions if you are tired of them knocking your rear end to the ground: Approach the crazy men while you are wearing a box. They'll chill out and recognize you. Then you can knock them out and fulton them up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Get the DLC where you play as Jack's brother. You run around the swamp punching molded to death. And giant alligators.

If you got PSVR the DLCs are really the best way to have a buddy come over to try out VR for the first time.

Theres a "Red Light Green Light" escape room, an action game with ya boy Chris Redfield, and the aformentioned swampman super punchout.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

any advice for endless space 2? i'm familiar with 4x stuff and i played a couple of hours of both ES1 and EL when they both came out

This game is so god damned esoteric I love it.

- You will want to invest in military ships tech at around turn 20-40, always just slightly sooner than you think necessary. You have to research the weapons on the top tree and the frames on the left tree.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

What's good to know for the new God of War?

:kratos: "BOY!"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Let the cold rage of revenge course through you. Dont sweat too much. The DLCs are tonally different, the second one is tropical Broken Arrow.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks for all this -- very helpful.

And should I really just wait on walls until later? I've had a number of early starts that fell apart on me after a few zombies sauntered into my tent camp from some direction I wasn't watching. Should I be popping up a few walls strategically early on, just to block ingress from certain directions? Or should I just be covering that with groups of rangers?

Yes, this game is the first time I ever used the Starcraft 1 patrol command.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kruller posted:

Anything for Oxygen Not Included, Feel the Snow, or No Man's Sky (other than don't play it)?

I say this too often, but this game is best played on drugs. It is a slow moving roadtrip across the galaxy to nowhere in particular. Have a podcast or a netflix or a youtube on the second monitor.

Every couple of jumps you'll get a chance to see a big scary deathstar and pop in to meet your friends Nolo and the other guy.

The atlus path is nice. Unnecessary, but a really good source for fuel and alien words.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PMush Perfect posted:

I took the axe to the Persona 3 and 4, and Final Fantasy Tactics pages for the same reason. But not knowing Disgaea I don't know how to cut it down to the necessary.

Thats the thing about Disgaea. All of that is necessary... Or none of that is necessary. There is no real line or single bullet point that doesnt hang. The game is pretty good about not forcing you to go into crazy town for main plot progression, maybe make the first bullet

• This game series is loving nuts. None of this matters if you want to see anime hell characters be mean to penguins... but the true Disgaea starts here.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm not here to sell games. I'm here to tell you what you need to know before playing Farcry 5.

• N O T H I N G M A T T E R S

And I type words on my phone as a public service.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Philisophically, Ive had a better time with the game realizing it is all for naught. Makes the fishing minigame and the Clutch Nixon that much sweeter.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I dunno man, I played Evil Genius before. You dont dive into a 90s era game without the half inch thick manual. Mierenneuker you are doing God's Work.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im about to load up Two Point Hospital. Ill have words to type after today, but if anyone beat me to the punch hollar.

Ive played A LOT of Theme Hospital in my youth :corsair:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

Going to play Grand Theft Auto V for the first time on PC.

Also I've never played ANY GTA game before.

Any general stuff I should know, and are there any must-have mods?

Dont worry about money too much. Most missions will not get you paid until it pays a lot.

Hold up a liquor store for funsies.

There is a fully functional subway system in San Andreas. It is never referenced and there are no npcs there. Secretly the best joke about LA.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Currently eyeballing Far Cry 5. My main question is this: what percentage of gametime can be spent with my doggy companion by my side?

His name is Boomer. Just keep talking to folks in the initial farmland area with pretty boy Yes man. A bear is in the north with mind control militia man and a cougar is down southeast in the lsd river land. As soon as you are unleashed on the world you can go WHEREEVER.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

Is it wierd that I reached a point in Dying Light where 90% of my problems are solved with the upgraded drop kick and the instant kill curb stomp?

Nope. Learning curve in that game goes from powerless to badass with a few key upgrades and a handle on zombie AI. FEELS GOOD DOESNT IT?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything I should know about Sunless Skies?

Save editing still works, but is not as powerful as it was in Sunless Seas. They made fuel consumption into a slider at game start I think.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

I just got Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition on sale for $4.49 on Steam and know literally nothing about it, except that everybody says it's really good. :v:

What are some basic beginner tips to get a decent start in the game?

This game will teach you every possible use case for the word "Bok Gai". Incorporate it into your everyday speech.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The last boss was an incredible and emotional scene. Then THE THING turned red and Sleepy Dogs topped itself and made me cringe my last cringe.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There isnt much to say about NMS without getting into the nitty gritty of mid to late game mechanics. Like the number 1 tip Before You Play is to smoke a bowl.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Comparing anything to the Witcher 3 is the most unfair, apples and oranges thing you can possibly do

It is a fantasy RPG based off some books or poo poo. Witcher 3 is a fantasy RPG based off some books or poo poo. Above poster is right hth.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We dont... Videogames.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mafia 3: the first tier of upgrades on each LT is game changing, every tier beyond that is aight I guess. Enjoy KKK murder simulator 1968.

The DLCs are W I L D, especially if you've seen Broken Arrow.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have begun playing Void Bastards

It seems that staplers to the face are ideal for Spooks. I have no idea how many damage upgrades I will need for screws.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Scalding Coffee posted:

Getting State of Decay YOSE. Was anything changed from the old version or new things get introduced I should know about?

Mods on the Nexus are hard split between YOSE compatible and OG release compatible.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Guys, the wiki all these posts get cross posted to is right there. Just post in wiki comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PJOmega posted:

Other note that's halfway between "before I play" and "need to know eventually" for Cyberpunk 2077: Save files corrupt if loaded when they are over 8mb. Crafting and looting inexorably increases the save file size, so there is a finite amount of those you can do before your save file is unusable.

Have fun!

Fuckin lmao. This game's bugs are some of the most black magic brainhack poo poo. Love it.