Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Cliff posted:

Should I play Dragon Age: Origins before Dragon Age 2? Do I have to?

Strike that, reverse it, be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I would feel less strongly about DA2 if I hadn't paid $40 for it. No man should pay that much for a game that's merely mediocre,

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Before I start Resident Evil...SIX, what should I know, specifically regarding how to quickly take out j'avo? In the demo they were quite tough, coming from RE5 where everything died to kneecap>straight>curb stomp.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Anything for a person who missed out on Wasteland and is playing it for the first time as Brian Fargo's Wasteland 1: The Original Classic--inXile Special Edition or whatever?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Xander77 posted:

Deus Ex HR Director's cut

A couple more specific tips for idiots like me:

-In the first real mission in the hub world, one way to get to the goal is a speech challenge. Using the CASIE Social Enhancer aug to insta-win the challenge will pass the objective with a less than optimal result that ends up with the dude irrevocably angry at you; he will let you through and then attack you MUCH later, after you've already forgotten about it and saved many times. It's not especially important unless you want a no-alert run in which case you should avoid using the thing at all. For what it's worth none of the things that require the the Social Enhancer appear until after you've left Detroit.
-Choose what goes in your cyber body with extreme care, and I'm not just talking about the relative scarcity of Praxis points.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I can't beat the tutorial in Civ 5. Should give up video games and become a monk?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Worse! I'm in the combat tutorial (step 4) and I can't beat Darius because he builds archers and poo poo faster than my hoplites and swordsmen. I don't want to switch to improving my terrain because it's a loving tutorial, how could this be a difficulty spike??

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

StoryTime posted:

Civ 5 talk

Thanks for the advice! I sort of assumed that the game was expecting you to ignore everything but the war aspect. Derp.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Pretend it's a stealth game. Use quicksave. Don't shoot people you can use takedowns on safely without getting seen/heard.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
With regard to DLC, avoid the Top Dog and High Roller packs if you don't want to pay real money for cop/triad experience and some in-game money. Some of the other costume packs are fun, depending on the tone you want for your game. The game is great because you can almost choose whether it's a gritty blood opera or Saints Row: Hong Kong.

The story DLC add ons (Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake) take place after the game is over, and have separate save slots. Neither is especially memorable but North Point has some interesting new mechanics.

The guy talking about pork buns isn't joking. Always have a buff of some kind, preferably food for the health regen and massages for the face meter bonus. Tea and energy drinks aren't as useful in my experience but they are all cheap and plentiful.

You should max Cop and Face XP just from drug busts and favors. Triad XP is harder to max; I hit full after the final mission and I wore the +Triad XP duds for most of the game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Captain Walker posted:

So tell me about Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha. What should I know going in? How should I allocate stat points?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Vanilla Skyrim is fine. It's easy to break over your knee at high levels but only in ways that help you. No glass armor bandits.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
You're expected to die a couple times. The first time you bite it, you'll meet a guy who will revive you for money or 3DS Play Coins. Second time the game will give you a difficulty toggle.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get the mod that skips most of the Fade and save your sanity.

For the full Dragon Age experience and ~developer vision~ I'd say to try it once and then install the mod.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Bolverkur posted:

I just started playing Shenmue for the first time. What should I know? What should I keep in mind? I've only played one in-game day but then the emulator decided I hadn't formatted my memory card after all so I couldn't save. Don't know how long I will last if this keeps up. I guess I just have to get a Dreamcast... :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Save yourself the heartbreak of never seeing a sequel. Go play a Yakuza game instead.

Oh, wait.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Well, Kiefer technically hasn't voiced Solid Snake ever. Just Big Boss. I guess the switch is partly because they're no longer effectively the same character, personality-wise.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
All of the DLC for SMT4 is either:

-grinding maps where enemies drop huge amounts of money/exp/app points
-silly costumes
-endgame superbosses with plot relevance that you can fuse after you beat them

I didn't bother with the costumes, but the money and EXP grinding maps can be helpful. Don't get the app points one unless you really hate the game's balance. Obviously you should actually wait till you know if you like the game/need more of a challenge to buy the story DLC.

e: should mention that since armor greatly affects your stats, the Traje de Lujes costume, while sort of weird to look at, is actually the best armor in the game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

paco650 posted:

the streetpass-reliant special attack.

The what now? :psyduck:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Speaking of, I'm putting 2 points into Mag/Agi and the remaining point into either Str or Luck at level up. Is it safe to avoid Dex for the most part, or is this going to bite me later on down the line?

Dex has greater effect on physical skills than Str. I find it's generally safer to specialize in physical or magic in 4 than in Nocturne, but I didn't play that much Nocturne so :shrug:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Dragon Age II: If you're anything like me, the "lock on to nearest enemy and auto-attack" button will vastly increase your enjoyment of warriors/rogues. Simple, I know, but I wasn't even aware the function existed initially.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
What should I know about MGSV: The Phantom Pain that wasn't applicable to Ground Zeroes or Peace Walker? I'm already gathering that Fultoning the world is no longer the correct way, because enemies will start shooting down your balloons.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Brightman posted:

Some people are deathly afraid of spoilers.

Yup, that's me

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I know a lot of you played the Japanese version of Yakuza 5; are there any changes from 4 that I need to know Before I Play the impending English release? Nothing too spoilery, just little stuff that might throw me off, or skills that are essential to buy ASAP, or early game substories that look dumb but give really good rewards. Things like that.

Also, hot tips for the dance battles. I'm not a rhythm game aficionado, how tough do they get?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
One thing for Undertale that I feel like should be on the wiki:

-The game really picks up in the second zone and beyond. If you aren't sold on it right away try and make it out of the RUINS before giving up.

A friend of mine wasn't sure what all the fuss was about, because he stopped right before the first boss, which is where the game gets good. Hopefully this will help others avoid that dire fate.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Coming off the previous games in the series, Yakuza 0 is familiar territory for me, but is there anything a player just getting into the franchise might miss?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Captain Walker posted:

Coming off the previous games in the series, Yakuza 0 is familiar territory for me, but is there anything a player just getting into the franchise might miss?

Just thought of one:

-There's no autosave. This is probably the only series to still have save points (pay phones) in 2017.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
First-time Valkyria Chronicles player here (after buying the PC remaster, then the PS4 port, then the Switch port of the PS4 port). The wiki page has been expanded greatly since last time I looked, but I actually have a story question. No spoilers here, unless you consider "the main character is in charge of a military unit during fantasy WWII" a spoiler rather than the game's concept.

It's early in chapter 4 and Welkin has announced that he has a cunning plan for the upcoming operation. I now have the option to progress the story or view an optional cutscene titled "The Plan". Does this scene actually reveal the plan, and if I progress the story will I be able to go back and view it later? I actually want to continue blind and be surprised when Welkin's stratagem pays off all according to keikaku, but I'm concerned that not knowing how to execute said keikaku will make the mission much more difficult.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

LawfulWaffle posted:

You can skip the side-cutscenes. They aren't essential and the mission will let you know what to do regardless. You'll always be able to view and review the cutscenes

Thanks dude. As it turns out the next required story scene revealed the plan anyway. It’s a good one!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Real quick, is there a way for us plebs to gain edit access to the wiki, or do we just post tips here and wait for for someone who already has it?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ahobday posted:

I get the impression from my first 30 minutes or so that this game gives you some things earlier than it explains them, so the tutorial might be coming up. For example, I could buy arts from a shop before I could equip them or level them up.

In my limited experience with the 3DS port, I found a ton of new mechanics gated behind story progression, and I didn’t get very far at all. The main character wields a sword made of literal junk that can’t be unequipped. However, he spends a lot of time studying It doesn’t take an expert on JRPG tropes to figure out that sometime in the first two hours of a game called Xenoblade Chronicles.
It’s my understanding that the game is just so drat long, you unlock a new mechanic of some kind every few hours. As soon as you’re comfortable with the Monado’s starting ability set, you get a new power for use against really tough enemies. Once you reach the big open Gaur Plains, you find new uses for that same power, and soon enough you pick up a new party member whose ultimate /talent art works in a totally different way from Fiora and the boys. The game is like 100 hours, and I imagine this continues on for another 60 of those hours.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 29, 2020

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Yet more for Yakuza: Like A Dragon:
* Every job has at least two "character skills" which have a red icon even before they're unlocked. Character skills can be used no matter what job you're in; once Nanba learns Pyro Breath at Homeless Guy rank 10, he can use it in any other class.
* Speaking of Pyro Breath, its multi-target effectiveness, like most area attacks, is best when set as a shortcut and used it right at the start of an encounter. Once the bad guys start to spread out, the only really good way to hit more than one is to to wait for a couple dudes to lined up and have Adachi use Reckless Charge on the farthest one.
* I wouldn't recommend doing too much side content until chapter 5. You'll recruit your fourth party member, get the ability to change jobs, and unlock the major side activities including your main source of money.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

BrightWing posted:

So I downloaded Let it Die in tyool 2020 and am enjoying the mindnumbing grind of it all. Any tips or real gotchas to watch for?

I think you've already found the main gatcha :v:

fake e: haven't played it, joke was too easy tho

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Regarding Persona 2 (and 1 to some extent): the stat that determines SP/skill effectiveness is called Dexterity in the official PSP localizations, and the items that give bonus stats are called Sources. The terms like "Tech" and "Vitality Sauce" probably come from the old fan translation of the PS1 game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

CaptainPsyko posted:

Mainly just for opening doors tbqh.

I wish more games would bring back the classic Dragon's Tooth Lockpick technique from the first Deus Ex

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope it was the Vapor Moss in the original too.

I distinctly recall from The Dark Id's LP that on the PS3 there was an extra wrinkle: Part 1 had 51% of the game's side quest for no apparent reason other than the developers just absolutely hating completionists

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

SoR Blaze posted:

Anything for 9th Dawn III?

I'm not convinced this is a real game; is that name an abbreviation or something?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ainsley McTree posted:

A very specific tip for Judgment: For the batting cage minigame

I believe this is also the case for the other Yakuza games using the same engine: 6, Kiwami 2, 7/Like a Dragon.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

pentyne posted:

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

Looks like a pretty accurate representation of the tabletop experience

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
There's plenty of character-optimization resources for Pathfinder 1e; it's probably a good idea to put one at the top of the wiki page. At this point there's gotta be something specifically for Wrath of the Righteous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Tylana posted:

go back the main quests (marked by... stars I think? It's pretty clear.)

They're specifically marked as "Orders for Sam" instead of "Standard Orders". In the Director's Cut there's a few new orders for Sam; the "Ruined Factory" orders have new story content and a new non-lethal weapon, the maser gun.

Speaking of Death Stranding: Director's Cut:

-If you have the platinum on PS4, importing your save will give you almost every trophy right away, except for two that involve all structure types and one for making everything you can at a chiral printer.
-The game tracks separately for each structure type whether you've built one and upgraded one to level 3. Upgrading another player's chiral bridge or cargo catapult from level 2 to 3 will count, as will fully upgrading NPC-built structures like watchtowers, postboxes, bridges, and zip lines.
-Speaking of zip lines, you can now ride one and take an attached floating carrier along. A single carrier holds over three times as much stuff as Sam can carry himself with a skeleton.
-There's no gameplay difference between normal active skeletons/armor plates and the new gold and silver variants at every upgrade level. You do need to craft them all for the new platinum, though.
-Most of the new craftable items are tied to the racetrack (both roadster variants), the orders in the ruined factory (maser gun), and the crossover missions (four items total).