Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I'm about to start Fallout 1 & 2. I've played both before, but I never get very far because I'm really bad at them. Any advice?

And while I'm asking, do I need to do anything special to get them to play properly on Windows 7? I'm using the Fallout Trilogy versions if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I got the PC version Knights of the Old Republic 2 for xmas, and I was wondering if anyone knew what that content restoration mod was called or if it even got finished?

vvvvv Edit: Thanks!

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 30, 2011

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

One more KOTOR2 question: how viable is unarmed fighting? I know the game balances are different this time around so blasters are actually useful, but if I wanted to be a whirlwind of fists and Force Lightning, how workable would that actually be?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

fridge corn posted:

What should I know about Nioh?

No optional mission will ever be closed off to you, and they are all designed around the assumption that you will come back later with better stuff.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

Anything got Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire? The wiki doesn't have much.

I've just started out, but have played the first one and am a veteran of the old infinity engine games.

Upgrading your ship is expensive but a good idea. A dhow is just the right level of speed and durability to get your through most things, so don't bother dropping all your cash on a galleon or whatever unless you just cannot live without 16 cannons.

If you don't like the ship combat and want to just do boarding, it's a good idea to keep party members who aren't on active duty in fairly up-to-date gear. They will show up on deck during the battle and help you out as AI.

Most skill checks either let you pick a party member to do them or let you use their skill levels as a bonus, so you're free to spread out skills however you want.

First time through, probably a bad idea to go all in with a full party of multiclass dudes. Single classes aren't as versatile, but they get stronger faster and play more closely to PoE1 so they're easier to manage. Also, some party members get unique single classes. Tekehu, for example, get a special bonus as a focused Druid where his water/ice based attack spells don't deal friendly damage, letting you drop a Hail Storm on your Barbarian's head in the middle of a melee without worrying.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The ending is fine and honestly telling someone "the ending is garbage" is not really advice.

I do agree that there's a lot of cool stuff off the beaten path and no actual time limit to the main plot, so yeah, once you've got all the party members you should go exploring.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Check the OP of the Deadfire thread where they're all listed. If you're leery of minor spoilers, their locations are tagged. But generally, once you get to the Big City after the tutorial island and pick up the next plot breadcrumb, you'll either have them all or be within walking distance of the rest.

Cardiovorax posted:

It was bad enough to put me off the game entirely and decide to not buy another Pillars game if they ever make one, so I consider it a fair warning.

Fair enough. I just feel like those sorts of "tips" tend to color expectations and can lead to people disliking something before they ever even encounter it. I know I've avoided games that I ended up loving for years because I've fallen into that trap.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Also, Nero's air taunt gives you a boost of lateral momentum making it a surprisingly effective dodge.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

If I'm going to play through Pillars of Eternity II only once, what character class should I be if I want to see the most stuff?

If I recall correctly, Cipher gets the most class specific dialogue options. Its also the signature unique class of the series.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

baram. posted:

anyone have tips for lunar silver star story & eternal blue?

Working Designs hosed around with enemy stats during the localization process, so you will need to grind a bit every other dungeon to stay competitive. This issue is more of a thing in Eternal Blue. It's not absurd, but it does expect you to power level a bit more than its contemporaries like Final Fantasy and whatnot.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Shenmue games don't even tell you about the time limit because they know you'll never hit it without actively trying. Its more of an easter egg, now that I think about it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Persona has time limits and is a very bad series. Shenmue has time limits and is a very good series. In short, time limits are a land of contrasts.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hiravias is a Druid, so he's better at healing but worse at buffing than Durance, but he can fill the support role if Durance gets on your nerves.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

I've been putting them on every ground window level it lets me (though almost entirely on the west just because of how I worked through) way to late to start over now but I had read online you only need to board certain ones instead of everyone and wasn't sure which was correct because eventually I'll replay it.

Generally, if a zombie busts through a window, other zombos will come through that same window later instead of busting though the one next to it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

So even if one doesn't immediately bang on the window when you get near they CAN possibly come through later (if they break the glass first)?

Yeah, but usually the ones banging on the glass when you first see them are placed in places where zombies respawn later. So if you see one walking past a window, you can usually ignore it, but the ones banging will always result in more zombies if you don't board them up.

But, also, this only matters in areas you're going to be revisiting frequently. After my first run-through, I don't think I ever used more than 3 boards because there's a lot of windows in hallways you only need to go to once.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SoR Blaze posted:

Anything for Judgement?

Money seems tight at first, but a little ways into the plot, you'll unlock the VR mini-game (not real VR, the character goes into VR) and that can make you mad cash really fast.

Unlike Yakuza, some of the side stories aren't found on the street. You'll unlock three location where you can check for detective jobs and you should visit them between every plot event.

Tiger Style is better than Crane Style in almost every situation and gets a lot of upgrades from the skill tree. Unless you're trying to 100% the challenges checklist, you can stick to Tiger Style for pretty much the whole game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ahobday posted:

Thanks. I've just done the Castle Kaneda mission, which I assumed was the last enemy stronghold in the first part of the map, and the map was not revealed. What exactly does a player have to do to trigger the "Reveal the map" mechanic?

In Act 2, new stuff pops up in the first area, so you can't actually complete the map for that zone until then.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

And just to be clear, Venom is the name of one of Miles' powers. Venom the goo-man does not factor into your upgrade tree at any point.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

pentyne posted:

- Character respec unlocks after beating a certain boss, and uses a single rare consumable there are about 10 of in the game world.

This is also wrong, there's loads of the respec items in the back half of the game. I've respec'ed 4 or 5 times and I still have 9 of the dang things gathering dust in my inventory.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

pentyne posted:

Is it a unique drop or farmable? The wiki has 14 listed and the thread says they only drop from non-respawning enemies.

They're unique as far as I know, there's just a lot of them. Like I said, I repecced at least 4 times and gave one to an NPC for a questline and I still have 9 so I'm not sure the wiki is comprehensive yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I would not recommend worrying about soft caps on your first playthrough. In fact, I would not recommend worrying about soft caps ever.