Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

InfinityComplex posted:

You can counter-parry pretty much anything that isn't glowing yellow or orange
Don't be afraid to use items, you're not penalized for them and they actually expect you to use them
You don't have dodge at the start, BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
To counter-parry, or parry-guard in general, you want to be in the neutral position (thumb off stick) then tap in the direction and press X/Square/Light Attack button at the same time of an attack
You get new stuff after every mission clear, so check out the shop and upgrade

On the final boss, you don't have to be precise, just make sure you cut 2 points

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, because the game doesn't explicitly tell you, you dodge by pressing X+A on an Xbox controller, or the equivalent for whatever you're using.

Well, for that matter, it's worth noting that you can access the store at any time (though it forces a checkpoint reload once you exit it) from the Codec menu by pressing Back. (Just using Xbox inputs for sake of ease.) Then, any moves you buy get added to the move list, which is accessed through the pause menu. The move list also updates automatically when you equip new weapons.

The dodge is called "Defensive Offense". Forward dodge works slightly differently than side and back dodging; all three give invincibility frames but forward dodge in particular doesn't lock you into a lengthy animation. It's best to get a feel for all three. The reason for the goofy name is that dodging is also an attack.

This video is a pretty good primer on the game's combat.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What's wrong with shooting the tires out? That was my preferred method of escaping the cops and it always worked fine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not when they're nowhere near close enough to smash into in the first place.

Looking back, I probably used a combination of both, though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's been a while since I've played IW, but I think that was a bug/oversight that affected every stackable item at some point or another, not just multi-tools.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
AFAIK, Last Light always had more traditional difficulty scaling and Metro Redux does as well. You only need to play in Ranger mode if you're serious about immersion (or want a little extra oomph/risk to the combat).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 6, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sociopastry posted:

Saint's Row 2

I'm going to assume you're playing on PC, in which case the Gentlemen of the Row Mod is absolutely mandatory. Beyond "just" fixing a good deal of the crappy port issues, it stuffs even more content into the game, mostly in the way of clothing and vehicles, and has a number of optional fixes for common annoyances like vehicle handling, controller prompts, etc.

juliuspringle posted:

Ok so, with that mod in Breakdown if I hit a Juggernaut with a truck the truck won't take damage right? Because if that's so than the mod isn't working for me.

According to Taerkar's post up the page, the mod only removes impact damage with regular zombies, presumably not Juggernauts.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 24, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

al-azad posted:

It's primarily a stealth game and every time you kill an enemy a new one spawns elsewhere.

Unless my memory is failing me, new enemies don't spawn in unless you loot the dead ones.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kruller posted:

Another tip for Jade Empire if you're playing the Steam version. There's a pretty nasty bug in the game where the Steam overlay murders performance, whether you look at it or not. Turning it off makes the game run fine. Unfortunately this turns it off for all the other Steam games as well.

You can enable or disable the overlay on a game by game basis. Right click on a game -> Properties.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kenny Logins posted:

I don't think there are any mods because the codebase is a mess.

There are actually some mods despite that. Though there doesn't seem to be a vanilla "fan patch" amongst them.

The big one that gets brought up a lot is Dylan's Mod which from what I can tell (and have heard of) it kind of cranks up the FarCry 2-ness and turns the game into something closer to the Stalker games. It (along with a handful of similar mods) does reduce some of the bullshit with the checkpoints, but it also comes with much more realistic combat and a greater emphasis on stealth tactics. Sounds great if you're into that sort of thing, but if you're not...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was bouncing around random wiki pages and noticed this uh, insightful bit of information on the Deus Ex: Human Revolution page:

quote:

- The shotgun is a rape machine, even without the upgrade.
:catstare:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Geektox posted:

Trying to play no-kill, no-detection put me off both DE:HR and Dishonoured. Not the games' fault, but really my stupid achievement obsession. My tip is to not play those games this way unless you hate yourself.

For games ostensibly about making choices and playing your own way, it seems like a lot of people unironically insist that it's the best and only way to play.

Dishonored is especially awkward because AFAIK like 90% of your arsenal is made for killing dudes in super cool ways. At least HR is already hilariously slanted towards non-lethal stealth due to dumb design decisions.

Keeshhound posted:

At least not the first time through.

Yeah, that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Retribution only has its own campaigns and the current version of Last Stand. You need to install base DoW2 and Chaos Rising to play those campaigns, though it's worth noting that the Steamworks integration left things weird. IIRC, you have to install both to be able to play through both campaigns together, but each entry in your library is technically a totally separate game for the purposes of achievements and stats and stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Torquemadras posted:

Any good advice for La-Mulana (the remake)?

I've gotten through a few areas so far (defeated the double-headed snake and the stone mecha). I love all the puzzles and hidden trinkets, but once I found the teleporting grail (would've been nice to have that right at the start!), I knew this game is NOT afraid to hide essential gadgets. So I'd like some pointers about stuff that removes tedium, or permanently missable stuff. I really like figuring out all the little bits (drat I'm glad I bought the glyph decoding app on a whim), but I don't want to run into the danger of missing massively useful items like the teleporting grail... The wiki for this seems a little sparse!

Any tips?

I don't have a firm remembrance of how many things are permanently missable, but it's not many. I know there's one major upgrade you can screw up getting and a few minor items and achievements, but honestly considering you're always going to be grail warping between save points, you should never be without a recent save in case something completely disastrous happens.

The one big thing that can have a lasting impact is a tablet in the Tomb of Giants telling you to not read it again. If you ignore the warning and read it again, it locks you into hard mode which makes things far more of a pain than they need to be, to the point where if you did trigger it you're probably better off restarting from scratch than trying to fight through it as a first playthrough.

Other than that, so much of the game is based on figuring out obtuse puzzles and exploring that I can't think of anything that wouldn't spoil some of the fun or be hard to describe out of context. Broadly speaking, I don't think there's any shame in looking at a guide for the Gate of Illusion in particular. Some of the puzzles in the game are just dumb.

The thread is also still active, so you can always pop in and ask for some more gentle hints if you get stuck and don't want to resort to just looking it up.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 7, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: Oh, hey, maybe I can ask this here since the main thread for it seems to be archived - The Talos Principle. Just picked this up, loving the puzzles, loving the storytelling - but I hear tell there are three endings, and no real way to make a save at a point where it's easy to go back and make different choices? Weirdly, just knowing that has kind of turned me off - how hard is it to see the endings, and/or how likely am I to get locked into one or another by accident?

You can't mess up the three endings, but there are a few mutually exclusive achievements/story beats, based on how you interact with the MLA. Outside of following a guide, the only easy way to game those is to save every terminal (and subsequent conversation) for the very end of the game, which would ruin the experience anyway.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vidaeus posted:

Since the Metal Gear franchise is on sale on Steam, I thought about picking up Rising Revengeance based on people gushing about it on these forums. However, I have never played a Metal Gear game before and have no idea about the storyline. Will this hamper my enjoyment of the game?

I'm always hearing about all these characters with stupid names will have no idea what the hell is going on.

Rising is almost completely separate from the main series, so you should be fine.

Edit: More importantly, make sure you read the wiki entry.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 28, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
(More Metal Gear Rising)

owl_pellet posted:

He doesn't mention it in the video when it happens, but notice in the MG Ray fight that he parries the foot stomp which due to the size of the foot and the direction the attack is coming from you may not think you would be able to do. You can parry all kinds of stuff in MGR:R. ABP - Always Be Parrying.

Something that tripped me up about parrying is that attacks that are bright, bright yellow cannot be parried (early on they're usually grapples, but there are legit unblockable attacks later on), but attacks that glow orange can be parried just fine. I don't think the game makes that distinction super clear; you can totally parry Gekko kicks and Grad punches and such.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Huh, I swore there was more on that page.

"Missables" Minor Spoilers ahead:
-Weapon Chain Whip is the easiest to get screwed out of as the room requires you to ride a crushing pillar trap to the chest that doesn't reset. Obtained after defeating Puzuzu.
-Weapon Flail Whip only gives you two chances to solve its puzzle. Obtained after defeating Tiamat.
-Sub-Weapon Angel Shield can lock you out of getting it if you do not revisit its treasure chamber between Sub-Bosses. This is triggered after defeating Enlil.

-Any of these can be reset towards the end of the game found at The Hidden Shop at the Gate of Time.

Edit: Some other basic tips

It's also worth noting that you'll be hitting check/save points regularly, so worst case scenario it's not difficult to roll back a save as long as you're using multiple slots.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

al-azad posted:

It's a Zelda game so the meat is the dungeon with the over world being set dressing and mini-games to get you gear upgrades. There's a lot, like a ton of stuff including the gold skulltulas, but none of it is necessary. Like you could be doing the happy mask quests which result in the bunny hood which let you run super fast, there's the Bigoron sword, I hope you got Epona by now but I don't even think she's required (although I could be wrong, I never not got Epona), and there are hidden poes scattered around the world as well. Just do stuff until you get bored then push on to the next dungeon and you'll be fine. 100%'ing Zelda games always felt pointless to me post-Zelda 2 when the games stopped being balls hard. You're going to see the best content regardless, the games are easy enough to not need all the optional stuff, and you don't really get a reward for doing everything.

Pretty sure the bunny hood does nothing (for you, anyway) in OoT. (Fake edit: Huh, it actually stops enemies from spawning in Hyrule Field at night. Neat.) And I think you need Epona to make a jump in Gerudo Valley at some point.

But yeah, ultimately the side content in OoT is pretty bland and largely optional. Outside of a few necessary items and some odd ancillary equipment, it's all capacity upgrades or pieces of heart, IIRC.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 26, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't give actual advice because I only dipped my toes into it, but it seemed like the opening stages of Skylines were just kinda slow going. Once you reach the first several population milestones things start to open up and you'll have actual income to work with (at which point you start coveting the even more expensive next tier of stuff...).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have no idea how Steam wraps them (presumably just DOSBox?) but you might as well plug all those .wads into a modern Doom sourceport so you can meticulously customize the experience and make it look real nice.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

graventy posted:

How about Ori and the Blind Forest?

I remember talk about a few unrepeatable sections that contain collectibles, but I have no idea when to expect them. Did the Definitive Edition fix those?

I recalling hearing in passing that the new edition did fix that, and I notice that the store page specifically mentions "full backtracking support" which must be talking about those sections.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TearsOfPirates posted:

Any good tutorials/tips for Fallout: New Vegas?

Finally snatched it on the sale and I feel like giving it a go.

Also removing the "easy jumpstart" DLCs would make the game a lot more enjoyable, right?

The wiki page for it is a bit messy, but the advice there worked a treat for me.

The worst part of the Courier's Stash is that it gums up your inventory with stuff, thanks to it being 4 pre-order packs worth of items. They're not necessary, but I also don't think their presence really ruins anything. They seemed pretty sensibly balanced and at the very least not obnoxiously overpowered glorified cheats like some games' pre-order stuff. Primarily they'll make the early game combat a bit easier and frankly if you pick up the companions from Novac and Primm the combat will turn into a bit of a joke regardless. New Vegas's strength isn't really in the combat anyway, so all said and done it's entirely up to you.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 6, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IAmTheRad posted:

Anything that's not on the Wiki for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

If you bought the pre-order equipment DLC, keep in mind that once you take the various pieces of equipment out of the chest (located on the side of the tavern/inn in the starting town, IIRC) you can't put them back, so anything you don't have an immediate use for will just clog up your inventory and is better left inside. I think you can technically just sell them off to any shop and they'll stay in the buyback menu, but I'm not 100% on that.

Even without your inventory clogged with all that stuff, you might end up maxing out your inventory depending on your packrat tendencies (and thieving). The first house, with proper item storage, is located in Webwood. You have to do a short sidequest and upon completion you'll be given the house.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Just do the story, only do sidequests if you find yourself underlevelled. The game started life as an MMO and it shows because there are waaaay to many side quests and if you try to do them all you will be massively overlevelled and burn out.

It didn't. It was always an actiony, vaguely Elder Scrolls-like open world game, but then purchased and wallpapered over to act as the prequel? lead-in? backstory? ummm, something for the actual MMO.

That said, especially if you have the story DLCs, trying to clear out every last task is definitely going to lead to burn out. Though most of the more generic side quests are stuff like "go to this area you were already headed over to and kill some monsters that are hard to miss anyway".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pizdec posted:

Anything for Deus Ex 1 that's not on the wiki? (especially regarding fan mods and difficulty settings)

I personally think that Biomod is a really good way to play DX1. Fixes my number one problem with vanilla - augs are a cumbersome pain in the rear end - while also sensibly rebalancing or otherwise fixing a lot of other things (ie, replacing Swim skill entirely with Athletics, which eventually gets you ledge mantling straight out of Thief) on top of a bunch of the usual outright bug fixes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

revdrkevind posted:

The way the average person probably expects to play a stealth game- sneak up behind everyone and choke them out- isn't present in this game.

The stun gun is effectively the same thing, and you'll be buried in ammo for it if you're clearing maps and looting everything that isn't bolted down. Also the Director's Cut gives you 2 recharging cells on everything but the highest difficulty, so that helps.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

A Bag of Milk posted:

There are two sections that cannot be replayed, so if you don't get all the collectibles there on the first go you won't be able to 100% your first playthrough. It's kind of apparent which sequences these are, especially if you're looking out for them. I think combat upgrades are the least important. I wouldn't prioritize them unless you feel like the combat is tedious or something. Best abilities to go for would be Ultra Spirit Magnet and Triple Jump.

The Definitive Edition changed it so that you can now properly backtrack to those sections, AFAIK. I'm pretty sure there's nothing missable anymore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kenny Logins posted:

There's an entry on the wiki for it, but having played and finished the core vanilla game coming from the first game, I'd add the following:
  • There's a facility that unlocks a hidden non-class skill for each of your squaddies once you build it. Build it before they rank up too much, because these skills only reveal on rank-ups.

Or install the retroactive AWC mod because the way it works vanilla is kind of dumb. The skills it gives your soldiers will only appear if they level up to the exact rank it's looking for, so if they happen to have already reached or surpassed that rank, they just never get their bonus skill.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's also Wheels of Fury, which isn't story DLC per se, but is more involved than just a wacky costume + weapon unlock pack. You do a bunch of test trials for a super car packed full of special weapons and then at the end you get to keep the fully upgraded super car.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Anything for Obduction or is it best to just go in completely blind?

Like Riven before it, there's an alien numbering system to learn. One puzzle using it comes after a point of no return, so if you haven't grokked it yet, you're a bit screwed. That said, the point of no return is after several other instances of using the number system, so if you feel like you brute forced your way past those, you'll definitely want to stop and work through it first.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Year of the Snake is set after the main story, you can do the other two whenever.

Nightmare in North Point is also post main game. Though I don't remember if either it or Year of the Snake actually have any major spoilers or whatever. They're both accessed through the main menu so it's not exactly hard to wait to do them.

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any shame in getting the Red Envelope pack? I've got $10 I can drop on dlc left after the 3 big ones and I kind of want some collectibles to chase because I know that will pad my gametime.

There's already a bunch of money collectibles in the game as it is, and money isn't even particularly important unless you're going out of your way to buy every last outfit and car for some reason. Or eat thousands and thousands of pork buns.

While I get why people recommend the old classic chain shot pistols stuff for Alpha Protocol, I really think it ought to be stressed that you can pretty much go with whatever if you're not intentionally trying to skip through as much of the gameplay/cheese the bosses as much as possible. I think only SMGs are kinda hard to get a handle on? Like hey, if you wanna go nuts with shotguns and punching, feel free.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 15, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah maxing out Triad XP is obnoxious because you really have to mindfully game the system in some missions. Like instead of going nuts with instant-kills, you need to land a bunch of combos to rack up those points, then go for an environmental kill on each enemy. You also get more points for some of the later moves you can learn in the dojo. Things get a little better once missions introduce gunplay and in situations where they just throw a ton of guys at you, but trying to actually get to a full three triangles in the early missions sucks.

The DLC definitely helps, but I wish it wasn't a bit tedious and :effort:. That would be the "Triad Enforcer Pack". (There's the other alternative of paying for the Top Dog pack(s), which just give a direct boost to Cop, Triad, and Face XP, but yuck.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For Borderlands 1, you honestly can probably get away with any character except Brick. Roland is good all around and has his turret to help out, with a good fire SMG Lilith can stomp all over the game and you have a get out of jail free button, and Mordecai has the sniping tree, the pistol tree which is also pretty good, and the Bloodwing tree which is the single most broken thing in the game to the point of making it boring.

For Borderlands 2, Gaige is definitely up there since Deathtrap can be your co-op buddy the whole way through. Axton is basically Roland 2.0. And Salvador can be nicely self-sufficient.

I haven't actually played the Pre-Sequel but I imagine Jack can get rolling pretty good since his whole gimmick is spawning his own squad of clones to use as a personal army or as suicide bombers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have been afraid of ending up restarting with Borderlands 1 after finally finishing Pre-Sequel years later and this thread is only pushing me closer to this :mad:

:same:

PMush Perfect posted:

If you decide to do this, and you're on PC, shoot me a PM. I never got a proper playthrough with friends, so I wouldn't mind following along a co-op through 1 and 2 with someone.

Oh noooooo. But I just bought a bunch of other RPG shooters to binge through. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm using a loose definition of RPG shooter but Killing Floor 2, The Division, and Farcry 4. All not-so-coincidentally on sale right now.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 27, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh jeez, I remember having a hell of a time with the poker minigame. And that was with being able to (sometimes) cheat at it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Question about Dead Space 1:

I know I have to disable V-Sync, but if I recall, I have to do that from an outside launcher because there either is no in-game option or it doesn't work. Is that right?

Pretty sure you can turn it off in-game. It's just that if you want/need it on for whatever reason without ruining the game you can force it on through the Nvidia control panel or equivalent.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It also drowns its handful of creative ideas in a sea of edgy violence, tits, dead babies, and poop. Plus the story is pretty badly told and just eventually goes bonkers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Depending on where you get it I think Bring Down the Sky is also baked into the base game now, but I could be wrong. I remember having to activate the extended ending via free DLC on Origin, but more to the point if you end up checking out the legitimately fun ME3 multiplayer don't forget to grab all of the free DLC for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The arc thrower doesn't work on chryssalids or zombies, and it doesn't work on any mechanical units with the exception of drones, though only if you buy an upgrade to let the arc thrower hack them over to your side during a mission. Floaters are A-OK too despite being cybernetic.