Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Patzor posted:

Advance Wars series

*Snip*

This goes for AW2 mostly:
    *Colin is Overpowered; if you struggle with uneven odds in a war room map just turtle with him.

*Eagle is the best CO if you know what you are doing to win maps fast

*Normal tank + Artillery is a better investment then 1 md Tank. Neotanks are always good though.

Im looking for tips on GTA3, I have played through it once when it came out and I played its sequels but I wonder if people have some good hints on how to tackle that game; especially the combat after playing IV.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

About to play Mass Effect. Tried it for 30 minutes before but now I have serious time to sit down and finish it. Thinking about playing that engineer/psion mix class because playing straight up warrior characters in RPGs is super boring to me.

Tips?

Wrex; Just get wrex. Even if he would not match your class at all he is worth it to have in your party. That said try having somebody with decryption or have it yourself.
For a first class I would go with something like a Vanguard or a Sentinal myself but anything really works.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Ember Lance, and Richochet/explosive shot are really overpowered until you get near the end of the game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Mr E posted:

I just got GTA4

For some reason the "good" 2nd pistol is arguably the best weapon for at least 2/3rd of the game, forget shotguns because until you are comfortable with the wonky cover system the pistol is king.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Kuno posted:

I've been playing Mass Effect, I remember from earlier in the thread that you shouldn't do any quests in the citadel until something or other but I've completely forgotten what I was supposed to be waiting for :doh:

Trying to keep this low spoiler:
If you like a certain battlelord, talk to him a lot and do his quest; it opens up more options for him.
Doing the dig site planet as one of the last plot planets makes for nice dialog
experience with regegade options; some are hilarious.
Singularity and lift are amazing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

SinetheGuy posted:

I just started playing Mass Effect. Got to the point where I command the ship. I'm playing as an Infiltrator, but I recently heard that hybrid classes are worse than pure classes. I wouldn't really mind starting over again, but gently caress if I'm going to go through all that dialogue again (har har). Is it worth it to play as a hybrid class? I don't know if I feel like shooting a pistol the whole time without all the tech benefits.

The hybrid classes are powerhouses, so are the pure ones. Only the soldier is a bit bland by the endgame.

Infiltrator is fun, just get that sniping skill up.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

I want to play Mass Effect and was wondering if the PC version has been fixed. I remember people complaining about major bugs when it was released, have they been fixed? I have a 360 pad to use, is there anything else to know about?

It has been fixed, some random errors from system to system though.
Also use mouse+keyboard, and wrex. you want wrex.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Lordspam posted:

starting up Mass Effect for the first time. Anything I need to know?

Go with a hybrid class if possible, you want to do Wrex's Armor quest (just talk to him a lot) oh and have at least either yourself or a party member that can decrypt at all times.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

I'm buying Mass Effect 2 soon, and I already have a Mass Effect 1 save. But I've heard rumors that having a maxed out Mass Effect 1 char will make Mass Effect 2 incredibly easy, since the added resources would make you able to buy all the best stuff from the start. Is this right, or is it just a rumor?

You just get more resources when you did all the mineral/tags/etc missions, enough to buy 3-4 upgrades or something. but you can not buy everything you want with that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I enjoy the combat in ME but I can see who might not so:
Set it to second lowest difficulty (to make it a bit less pure bore)
Loot stuff, sell everything until you get over a million credits; buy spectre weapons in C-Sec.

Soldier:
Assault rifles
Immunity
whatever you feel like.

Vanguard:
Shotguns
Barrier
Lift/Throw.
Bastion Spec

Just walk up to enemies and shotgun/assault rifle bitches in the face.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've started playing Episodes From Liberty City on the PC. Anything I need to know? I've played GTA3, VC and SA but I never really played GTAIV.
If possible and you own it; try playing GTA4 first. Otherwise you will miss out on a lot of nods and references, and due to the gameplay and mission improvements in EfLC you will not like playing base gta4 after those two.

Just skip the mandates and sidemissions if you don't like them. (Though I do advise going to a bar and strip club with dwayne cause the dude is hilariously emo in his dialog.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Colossus gear in general is great allround, I forgot which license gives you access to it though.
SPECTRE gear does restock, you start out with SPECTRE VII (7) and once you hit level 50 SPECTRE X (10) unlocks; restocking VII in the process.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

If you have the Bring Down The Sky DLC and complete it, you can spend vast amounts of cash on weapons that are even more powerful than the Spectre ones, though it's kind of a crap shoot since I don't think it tells you what you're buying until you get it.
Pinnacle station unlocks a roulette indeed, don't get pinnacle station. It's bad.
And its weird; Sometimes they randomly restock after a storyline mission and randomly show up on the normandy vendor.

You are more or less guaranteed 2xVII and 1x X in one playthrough though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Oops, yeah I meant Pinnacle Station.

Edit: I actually kind of enjoyed Pinnacle Station in a way, it was pretty low content, but some of the fights were quite challenging and it was nice to go on a rampage without having to stop to explore or chat every once in a while. gently caress the final mission though, I had to do that poo poo 8 times before I managed it by hiding in a corner.
I also enjoyed it; but objectively speaking its pretty drat bad, any ME2 DLC is better, even the costume ones.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Mr E posted:

Just got GTA IV complete edition for cheap, anything I should know about it? I know that the pigeons are pretty much worthless to shoot.
Go drinking with Dwanye the man deserves it. :3:

Gay Tony:
Yussef Amir is the best.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm playing Episodes From Liberty City before GTA4 because I bought it before the steam christmas sale, when it was in the rockstar sale for $7.50. It's making me wish I waited until christmas and got it and GTA4 for $10.

I'm mostly just wondering how much content is in here, I'm not really sure where to set my expectations, since these were both DLC. I'm 7 or 8 missions into The Lost and the Damned, I just did the political assassination one (wow, what an opening cutscene that one had). Is it going to end soon or is there still a lot of content left? Is the city eventually going to populate with more stuff to do, or not because this is just DLC?

Also, how do I make money?

edit: Basically I'm asking if Episodes is played solely for the missions and if I wont miss anything noteworthy if I just blitz through all the missions.
Both are about 20mission storywise; gay tony adds replay but tying to 100% missions (tedious in some honestly, but it has some great missions and being able to replay at will rocks)
You unlock turf wars/drug wars in the respective storyline's and 2-3 other things, but GTA4 didn't have a lot of minigames to start with. The game is a lot more focused around story as opposed to the GTA3 era.
Vanilla GTA4 did have more of them though with assassination missions, vigilante, criminal chasing, etc.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Kifisonfire posted:

I recently picked up Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and have heard some daunting things about the game. Just curious if I should start a certain character/class to ease into it.
Do every origin story once before you pick something that appeals to your full playthrough.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Anything special or awesome that you can miss going on in Mafia 2?
I know how these type of semi-sandbox games work but If there are things and tricks I should know please share. :)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I just Mass Effect for PC, for the bargain price of £5.99 and was wondering if there's any DLC I absolutely must get?
Get the free dlc bring down the sky (first result in google gives me the correct/working like for it)
Skip pinnacle station.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

eyebrow posted:

I just started playing Dragon Age since it's a game I really should have played a while back considering my love for Baldur's Gate and BioWare in general. I'm planning on doing all the origin stories, but what are some possibly missable events/items.characters/etc. in the main game? Any other tips that you would think could help a new player are welcome as well.
There are some very obvious parts where you can permanently loose a party member or two; one is a little less obvious.
Your second rogue will need to be around 50 or higher approval when doing a lot of quests in Demerin.

The other ones are literally things like don't destroy something holy with the nun present.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The bars max out at 700 or 1000. (I forgot) so yeah 4-5 points don't influence it much.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

fozzie dunlop posted:

All I know about Mass Effect 2 is that Vanguard is the most fun class and that you should wrap up any loose ends before the IFF mission. Anything else?
- Vanguard has the best risk:reward and satisfaction but all classes are fun.
- both voiceactors are good, and don't let nobody tell you different.
- If you play on PC use gubbed's editor to give you a fuckload of minerals to avoid mining (also possible on 360 but harder)
- If a class you pick feels limited in regards to weapon loadout, you can get an extra weapon type later on.
- Random biotic power + warp = warpsplosion.
- different types of ungs have different multipliers for types of defences.
- Have fun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Vita posted:

GTA: San Andreas.
This is honestly the first GTA that I've ever played on PC, and I'm coming from SR2.

- Do not spend all your cash on guns before the desert unlocks, You'll understand why when you get there.
- Try to swim underwater a bit during the first 2 zones so you don't get blocked out of a mission halfway the game and have to grind; it is the only mission requiring you to make a character stat higher.
- Bikes start out decent but if you get the handling skill maxxed out they are almost impossible to fall off.
- the flightschool isn't remotely as bad as people make it out to be unless you want to 100% it. And I beat SA around 6 times amongst wich a 100% run and a 100% excluding collectibles run.
- Have fun, the game is amazing and the world is well made, if you do not like the while gang culture at the start keep in mind it is very tongue in cheek and the game drastically changes once you complete the first city with regards to "da hood"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

AC1:
Once you learn counter grab use this a lot then once they are on the ground shank em with the hidden blade; this works especially well for the ending "bosses" since they throw a shitload of dureable guys at you that would otherwise take ages to kill.
- hidden blade counters are instakill but hard to time right, the second makes them a lot easier to use.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Uou also want to go to Tenpenny Tower before you choose to do a certain thing to Megaton; see the people that make you do <megaton> thing first helps with how you feel about it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I'd say you should not stick with one path for the first playthrough; do what you like best and stuff. IT makes the first save really yours and later on you can always powergame one side.

- You can use the "move up" command while aiming at an enemy in the tactical pause to assign target to your squadmates.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Picked up Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga from the sale on Steam. Any tips?

- Mindread everything, at worst you get a insignificant throwaway though, but usually it unlocks extra stuff/hidden things/passwords/skillbooks/experience/statpoints.
- Points in mindread cost reduction are pretty useless.
- There is a very obvious point of no return about 1/3 into the gamee, play intro > broken valley > plot point place. The fjords are for later so don't go there yet.
- You can overtrain skills once you get your dragon form, use your trainers for it.
- Keep malachite gems, they are needed for the best enchants, are limited and you only get more in the expansion.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

And Arrival if you can get it on discount, It sets up the opening for ME3 but isn't all that good; hence the discount.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Burning Sensation posted:

Kasumi is worthless and is a walking cliché, but all the fat Nippon-worshipping anime nerds will love her.
The gently caress, you can say a lot about he but that isn't it. :stare:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

75% overall synch gets you an extra ezio's-past thingy; but that is very easy to get since doing everything once and stuff puts you very close to it. And chapter 1-2-3 are almost always 100% sync due to how easy most of them are.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

For squadmates; not really no; Auto level should be disabled though.

- Go something other then soldier, Adapt, vanguard are great fun.
- Pistols have the highest DPS of any weapon once maxed out
- Don't buy guns until you get 1million credits, this unlocks SPECTRE weapons.
- The start of the game is slow but stick with it.
- Once you get SPECTRE status and get new plot missions save Noveria for after Therum and Feros.
- Biotics are very overpowered.
- You need 1 person with tech skills in your party (you, or one of the squadmates) to hack most things.
- Sideplanets are fun in small doses, but they can be skipped no problem.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The intro/raid on Sarif/before you get augmented also counts for the achievement and in that you only get a gun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I like the Icarus landing system and breaking walls so much.
Strolling around , punching walls and jumping from buildings into fastfood stands.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The first game is very flawed (and this is coming from a big fan) but very much worth playing really.
Just don't play it for the combat; get a character with biotics.

ME2 is a great game but there are many things the first game does better then it and the last 2.5hours of the game is one of the coolest drat endings to a videogame setpiece wise.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd go in the thread to ask, but I don't want anything spoiled--in Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boss fight against Barrett, is there a non-lethal way to take him down? I took him down pretty easily by throwing remote explosives at his feet and taking cover, but I'm going for a no-kill playthrough. I'm inclined to think that because he explodes himself at the end of the fight, it won't count as me having killed him, but I'd like to know now if I need to reload and do the fight again.

Actual bosses don;t count for the non lethal achievement, everything else does.
(ambushes, the opening, etc)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The silent walking/landing one should have been passive really.
Either that or do it like some other games: Make it take "upkeep" limiting your max energy since a set rate is needed to keep the aug working

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

HE:HR stuff:

Take too long in Sarif and they are dead.
You can sneak around dudes and disable the bomb and stuff.
You can also just walk into the room, have the bomb trigger and then just shoot the fuel tanks. This disables the bomb

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Must haves:
- Wall breaking
- High Jump
- Heavy lifting
- Icarus Landing system

Extremely useful:
- Rebreather
- EMP Shielding
- Typhoon System (You will understand why when you get to those parts)
- Hack to at least 3
- CASIE Social Aug

Other very nice ones include:
- Cloaking system.
- Extra inventory space
- See-through-walls
- Hacking stealth
- Disable bots/turrets
- Double takedowns.
- Energy recharge.

By the end of the game you will be able to have at least 60% of everything even if you go full combat so you really can't go wrong.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Go Adapt (or Vanguard) for ME1; Biotics are hilariously overpowered in ME1 and it has to be seen and played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

That isn't a mod though; that is DLC.

I would suggest looking up a HUD replacement, the default one is very cramped for PC's and ones like darnified free up a lot of room.