Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Coulis posted:

I ordered Alpha Protocol, any thing I should know about character creation, dialog system and more genereal stuff ?

Yea. When your attacked on the yacht she's not trying to pull out a gun. She's mute and she's trying to give you something. Also Martial Arts is a good thing to put points into if you don't want to kill people and want to deliver a flying knee to their faces at the highest speed possible. In the stats screen, you can see how high you've racked up other people's medical bills with your painful non lethal ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
I've been playing FFXII International recently and while the game is so much more enjoyable now that there is a fast forward button, is there anything I need to know about this version or FFXII in general that may or may not screw me over in the long run?

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Any tips for the Spirit Engine 2? My team is Kaltos, Charlotte, and Enshadu

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Since your on the PC version, you can go right ahead and fight as many enemies as you wish. Here's a direct link to the BIP page if you want more tips.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

S-Alpha posted:

Front Mission: Evolved

Here's some tips.

- There are a bunch of item pickups in the stage, some of which are Emblems and Sensors. Finding them (Emblems) and destroying them (Sensors) will give you new decals to use when customizing your Wanzer and cash for every 5 you destroy respectively. Sometimes this get's you a battle skill. On foot sections have little disks that you can also blow up for cash. If your OCD about 100% collection, then follow this guide.
- In the first boss fight you'll have to just dodge around and blast away at the boss as much as possible to fill your E.D.G.E meter, this games equivalent of bullet time. In this mode you move quicker and do much more damage than usual. The moment the E.D.G.E bar gets to 25% use it and a cutscene will activate. After this point the boss can be hurt. Don't forget to abuse your missile launcher.
- Boss fights will always have respawning ammo and health pickups.
- You can go back and do missions again for cash and achievements. Anything sensor or emblem you destroyed/picked up will be remembered so you don't have to go back and get them all over again.
- Battle skills are acquired via achievements. None of them are necessary though.
- If you don't have the Agility Backpack equipped, you can only boost forward.
- Plenty of missions will have a requirement for body parts and weapons on your Wanzer. Most of them are simply leg restrictions and long ranged weaponry.
- Shields work by using the arm it's equipped arm and protects you from most damage, and your shoulder weapons can still be used while they're protecting you. holding the button let's you do a shield bash. It might be me, but I don't recall the game ever telling me this.
- The difference between upgrading and downgrading a weapon is the number next to the weapon. If it doesn't have "-" next to it's value, it means your downgrading. Downgrading will net you cash though. I spent the first four missions downgrading my Wanzer each time before I realized what was going on.
- During on foot sections, your health will regenerate over time and your guns don't overheat. If you use the machine-gun, you'll never run out of ammo thanks to copious amounts of enemies having them. Melee attacks and grenades are 1 hit kills on all infantry, and grenades will do a decent amount of damage on everything else.
- Don't worry about using E.D.G.E. It builds up quickly enough and sometimes it can make a difference between death and getting past a particularly annoying section.
- Don't bother trying to destroy a boss's arms or legs. I've personally never managed to destroy one and all it does is lower their accuracy and their movement speed.
- If you die during any time in the mission, you'll be given an option to go back to the Hanger and rebuild your Wanzer. Instead of making you restart the mission entirely, it just sends you back to the latest checkpoint with your new Wanzer.

If anyone else here has played the game, feel free to correct me.

Also, can anyone give me any tips on Elona? The rougelike, not the flash game in which I shoot animals for hours.

Warren fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 17, 2011

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Twitch posted:

I just started playing Ar Tonelico, and the wiki only seems to have information for Ar Tonelico 2. While the system in the game seems almost complex to the point of parody, as far as I can tell the whole game's pretty straightforward. Is there any serious stuff I need to know while playing it?

- Always take the time to make sure your Reyvateil has a lot of Divepoints and go into their Cosmosphere to level up your relationship with them. Not only does this level them up, but by visiting various places in their mind you will gain new spells and costumes, which will give you bonus's. Just be warned, some of them are... interesting.

- WAY later on in the game your Cosmosphere progress will grind to a halt until you get certain items from story related missions. If I remember correctly, Aurelia caps out at a early point if you've been diving regularly.

- The game isn't hard by any means. Just get used to the combat and everyone's skills and you'll have no trouble with any bosses.

- There is going to be a lot of Innuendo. A LOT.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Anything on Etrian Odyssey III? I just started and I've gotten my rear end handed to me really god drat hard. Just got to the second floor but I'm only level 7 and I have a tendency to die to the giant green bird.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Ulio posted:

Any useful tips for Dynasty Warriors 7?

- If your going to play story mode, keep in mind that most characters you play as will most likely die the very mission they are introduced.
- When you start playing as a new character in Story mode, pause immediately and go to their skills. based on where you are in the story, you will have Sp to spend. Late game, this means you can max everyone out from the get go. If you play as a character you have not played in a while, this also applies to them.
- In Conquest, you'll find Legendary Battle tiles. Beat them completely and you will unlock the character.
- Though it is a pain sometimes, always max out a weapon's skill. Especially Movement Speed.
- Weapon skills like Movement Speed and SP Up stack, so be sure to have SP Up on both weapons your character is using.
- Pronunciation of names are they way they are supposed to be now. This may be a little jarring.
- The last Twin Sword is gotten via 100% all of the Scholar's questions. Have fun.
- You can buy Bodyguards in towns when the Merchant is in town. This let's you raise their loyalty a little and then you can make them a Sworn Ally in time.
- Lu-Bu can be pursued fairly early I've noted. This might be me, but I took him down at the Battle of Shi Sui gate.
- Find a weapon style you enjoy and stick with it. Almost every character can equip all the weapons, Gender Specific's aside, and with the Weapon Mastery for them you can run around using Flying Swords with everyone.
- Switching weapons mid combo produces some interesting effects, but I never found it useful enough to keep doing.
- You can buy a Pet that will follow you into battle. They include horses for just riding around (I found that two movement skills were more than enough), a tiger, a bear, and other various animal's that will join you in battle.
- You can ride the bear. It is amazing.
- You can change the song of the battle in the Pause Menu. Find a track you love and jam away as you shove sharp pointy objects into everyone.

Warren fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 12, 2011

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
For Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I never seemed to run out of ammo for anything other than my wonderful, wonderful Tranq Rifle. I just mostly ran around knocking people out, running away to a nearby box/wall, and hiding until the next guard game by and went to check on his buddy. One headshot later with a tranq and then off to drag them to a secluded area/vent and steal their ammo and credit chits.

Later on in the game if you've gone the stealth route, being invisible with 5 full energy bars will let you bypass almost any room in the game. In particular, when Adam is tricked by the OH WOE IS ME act by the one chick and she shoves you into a room with guards everywhere, sneaking into a vent to the right and when your ready to leave, going invisible and sneaking past them for a whole 5 seconds is one of the mroe satisfying feelings I've had playing the game

EDIT: If you enjoy sneaking around, always put points into Cloak / Energy. If your worried about being at a loss for bosses, don't be. So far there are always an abundance of weapons/ammo/healing item's around that if you have nothing that can do damage, there's a shotgun nearby and a concussion grenade waiting to stun the boss your fighting.

BOSS SPOILERS AHOY
The second boss can be taken down by going up to the balcony and disabling the robots from a control panel. Full hacking level required.

The third boss can be trivialized by grabbing the Shock Protection augment and standing next to the giant towers around the room. Make her claymore one of them and unload shotgun shells into her face until she runs. Rinse and repeat.

e;fb
VV

Warren fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 13, 2011

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
There's nothing I can say that the others haven't already said before me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Any advice for Alliance Alive? I'm having a ton of fun with the game but I feel like I'm missing out on a ton of mechanics... like how in the hell I'm supposed to raise my hp.