Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm about to play The World Ends with You, what should I know before playing this game? (sorry if this one's been asked).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

KillerApp posted:

:words:

Ratatozsk posted:

Samog posted:

Thank you, both of you. Wow, one game and they already got a wiki for it. I haven't gotten that far, but I'll keep you guys' advice in mind.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I need some advice on the Thief series:

1. I am having an extremely hard time with these controls. I mapped them as best I could and it still feels awkward (I did not have a PC in the FPS golden age). Is there a key configuration that's considered best for the first two games?

2. I mapped the run button to the Shift key and occasionally Garrett gets stuck in a weird auto-run that won't stop unless I load my last save or reload the level. The TTLG FAQ is great, but they did not answer what the problem with that is,

3. I'm currently playing the first game in the series, Thief: The Dark Project and I really hate this tomb-raiding bullshit. I hear Thief II completely gets rid of all that and focuses on open-ended gameplay and actual burglary. Is there any reason I shouldn't skip to Thief II?

4. Is there a mod or something available that fixes the hit detection?

Actual gameplay:

What's the best way to deal with zombies that I can't immediately perma-kill with holy water or fire arrows?

How can I tell if a corpse is a zombie? I know there are really obvious ones, but there are also corpses that don't look like regular zombies and get up and scare the poo poo out of me when I get near them.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Skilleddk posted:

Counter question: What OS and processor are you using? I can't get these drat games working.

Windows 7 and AMD Athlon Phenom X4.

It took me a while to get it working, but I followed this FAQ and I eventually got the drat thing working. If you have a multi-core processor, make sure you set the affinity to just one or else it will just crash. It's an old game so I wouldn't imagine a dual-core 2.0 gHz processor would have problems running it on just one core.

Thanks for the advice by the way, I'll man up and stick to The Dark Project until I'm finished.

Also, about the hit detection: that's just me being really lovely at videogames. I always try to hit them from too far back.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicFrog posted:

WASD - move
QE - lean
space - jump/mantle
shift - crouch
ctrl - run
Z - hide weapon
X - hide item
CV - switch items
1-0 - select weapons/arrows
F1-F12 - select items
tab - map/objectives

This helped immensely actually. What do you have set as 'toggle speed'?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I was just gifted Amnesia: The Dark Descent from a friend. The problem is that I have never played a game where I can't defend myself and at the same time have to avoid being in the dark for too long. The closest I've ever come to a game like this is the Thief series and even in Thief I can still incapacitate things that would rip through me normally. So, any tips?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks pigdog, Dr. Snofeld, and Faerie Fortune for the advice on Amnesia.

I just got past the part with the invisible fucker in the water that chases you to the second big part of the castle. So far it's seemed like I haven't come into contact with any visible monsters that I've seen from gameplay videos online. Is my game broken or do they just not appear until later in the game or have I just had dumb luck avoiding them? Also, please tell me that that I don't have to deal with that invisible water thing again. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Jesus! You weren't kidding about that storage room. Welp, it's sure been a long time since I've made use of my good ol' brown pants.