Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

mystery at hog island posted:

The very idea of doing the chocobo breeding without abuse of the W-Item glitch for the rare greens horrifies me.

Or you could just sell a mastered All materia. Hey presto, money forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything to keep in mind for Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days? Probably going to pick that one up in a little bit.

Been a while since I played it, but the first thing that springs to mind is that it is generally worth it to search out all the chests on a level and try to complete the extra requirements the first time around. There are some really good items in some of the chests that can be easy to miss. Also, that way you know that any levels where you haven't got all the chests are ones where you couldn't reach them, so you can go back easily when you've got the right movement skill.

The panels system means you can always completely change your build so you can experiment as much as you like without screwing yourself over.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MrSquarepants posted:

What should I know about Persona 4 ? I'm thinking of getting it on PSN, am I missing a lot by not playing the vita version?(I don't own a vita). Should I play Persona 3 first?

The most important thing to know about any of the games in the series is that this isn't Pokemon and you aren't meant to be holding onto any given persona/demon/whatever for very long. Fusing higher level ones is much more important than leveling up the ones you have and you are going to want to do it often. You also shouldn't worry about trying to complete all of your S-links. It's either impossible on a first run through or you need to adhere to an incredibly strict schedule to manage it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors?

Play through a couple of endings blind and then use a spoiler-free diagram like this for getting all the other ones. Unless you like potentially seeing the same ending repeatedly while you try to work out how to get the rest of them anyway

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Scrap Dragon posted:

Anything for Digital Devil Saga?

If you're planning on playing DDS2 (and you should) be aware that there are choices you make in DDS1 that determine whether you get something or not in DDS2 and it won't be obvious which option to pick. So if you don't mind mild spoilers you'll want to look up which are the right choices. You also get things in DDS2 from doing stuff like defeating optional bosses in DDS1 so it might be worth looking up which bosses give you which things so you can work out how much effort you want to put in before DDS2 (some of them are nearly impossible and some aren't too bad).

It's been a while since I played it so I don't remember a whole lot about the actual gameplay but I agree with dropping Cielo from your party. There's also no shame in using a guide for enemy weaknesses. The game will expect you to take advantage of them at all times and if you don't use a guide you're going to have to trial-and-error it out yourself and then remember everything, which is going to involve dying a lot and having to repeat bits.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

What should I know before I start Supreme Commander: Total Annihilation? I've never played a Supreme Commander game before, but heard that this was a good place to start and it cost less than £2. Thank you!

Unless I've totally missed something in the intervening years, you're actually playing Total Annihilation, which is an excellent strategy game from the 90s and which then later had a spiritual successor called Supreme Commander. It's not a "Supreme Commander game," it's its own game. I think that counts as a thing you should know before you start.

It's been so long since I played it that all I remember is it being a pretty standard strategy game and the music being fantastic.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Undertale not already on the wiki? I remember someone suggested something like play it however you want then go back and play it as a pacifist or something like that?

The worst possible thing you can do for your enjoyment of the game is to feel like there's a way you should be playing it or an order you should do anything in. Take the suggestions of the people above me just as suggestions. If you get stuck or just aren't having fun with a particular play style then switch it up. Make your own decisions about what you want to do, don't get stuck in a mindset of having to complete any particular kind of run through of it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Anything for the first Fable? Never got around to any of them before, just picked up the HD version on steam. What there is on the wiki looks like min/max advice and I'm not interested in that, just if there are ways I can screw up my character that I should avoid or whatever as often happens with RPGs.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've been playing Shadow of Mordor on PC and I feel like I'm missing something about how the combat works, especially because of all the tips here about not making the game too easy through HP increases so that you never ever die. Everything was going fine until I started coming across enemies who you're meant to dodge with spacebar, and now I'm dying pretty constantly. It feels like the key just isn't responding in time, I can be hammering it for a good second or two and still get hit. I've tried not clicking excessively and that works better but there are still plenty of times that I get hit when I feel like I shouldn't have. Am I missing something here about what I'm meant to do mechanically or do I just have to stop getting into big fights and be more sneaky?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Caufman posted:

When you press dodge, are you also pointing your movement keys towards the enemy?

Not intentionally, I guess that must be it. drat, that seems like something much more natural to do on console but I guess I'll get the hang of it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Note: it's nut just towards the enemy, it's always dodge+direction.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Putrid Grin posted:

Gonna dig into original Nier on ps3.
I hear that the gameplay can be somewhat less than stellar at times.
Any tips on making the experience more pleasant before I start this journey?

If you're at a certain point in the story quests and it feels like you just CANNOT do the thing they're asking you to do, check the map to make sure you're in the right place.

Only do sidequests that you feel like doing, some of them are awful and should only be done if you actively want to be a completionist.

That's about all I can think of, it's not as smooth an experience as some games but that's the price of a game that tries a lot of cool experimental poo poo.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

"This game is bad, don't play it" is a useless thing to say because it doesn't actually give any information other than that you have some sort of objection to some part of the game. "This game is full of bugs" or "this game is so unbalanced as to be nearly unplayable" or "you should finish as many sidequests as possible before you finish the game" are useful pieces of information, and don't necessarily have to be tied to a recommendation not to play the game. So if you feel like telling someone not to play a game they're asking advice on, why not just give them the reasons why you think that instead?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

I seem to have bought Sea of Thieves, and I require both tips and tricks.

The only tip you need.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm playing Witcher 3 on Switch and I cannot figure out what seems like an extremely easy basic thing (nor can I find the answer in the in-game tutorials): I have four consumables I can put in quick access slots to access with the up and down buttons, but I can't figure out how to switch between the two options for each button? I think I did it accidentally once but I have no idea what I did. What am I missing?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ahobday posted:

It should be holding down on the direction to switch the two consumables in that slot. I think I played through most of the game on PC without knowing how to do that.

Thanks! Now I can actually use these potions I keep making...

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Are the Ori games okay with mouse and keyboard or should I get a controller? It's been so long since I played a platformer on a PC...

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

As someone who just started playing Hades in the last couple of days, "don't go for upgrade items because you give up on boons that will get you further on your run" seems like really bad advice. I'm not trying to do a complete run, I haven't even unlocked all the weapons and upgrades yet.

What would have been useful to know is how to get keepsakes - I took completely the wrong lesson from getting my first nectar and giving it to charon and he got the next three or four before I realised that he was only going to give me one and I needed to be giving them to other NPCs!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

For Hades: you unlock the ability to buy the "alternate exits" upgrade way before you're likely to find it even slightly useful, so don't bother unlocking it until you have a surplus of diamonds - get all other diamond-related upgrades first.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lobok posted:

For Celeste, is everything doable when I first come across it or do I need to come back later with new skills? I just started playing so I'm only fifteen or so minutes in but there's this one strawberry I can't imagine being able to get without some kind of double or longer dash and even then I'm not quite sure.

You probably need to come back later with new skills, but by that I mean physical player ability rather than something you get given in game. Don't stress too hard about collecting everything your first playthrough, especially if you can't even see how to do it. Come back later and you will have picked up skills that will help you do it! Kinda like a metroidvania but with brain learning rather than picking up double jump.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah people are misremembering, the Mantis Lords are entirely optional and I actually missed their entire existence the first time I played the game. The vast majority of the map is open to you with dash + claw so just keep exploring and finding stuff and growing stronger and more practiced.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm thinking of picking up Horizon Zero Dawn but trying to work out if I'll enjoy the gameplay or not. How much is it actually "tactical" in terms of you have to think ahead and set traps and use clever tricks to defeat enemies, compared to action-adventure hit them with swords/shoot them with arrows? I tend to like hack & slash much more than sneaky traps in a vidyagame and it sounds from the descriptions like it might be more on the sneaky side, but also I know it's a pretty big AAA game so is that just marketing?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll probably pick it up then and just play on normal difficulty and shoot stuff a bunch.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What should I know before playing the viking Assassin's Creed if I have never played any AC games before?

"Play [earlier game] instead" is potentially an accepted answer.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've jumped into AC with Origins and am thoroughly enjoying it, but I also really love action RPGs and am not a fan of stealth games (which is mostly why I've never played AC before tbh) and have built my character into a whirlwind of death that basically doesn't need to stealth, so if you're into playing sneaky assassin then you might be better off with the Ezio games.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I've just finished HZD and the advice about lenses would have been extremely useful to me, I was going off the tip in the wiki that said to keep one of everything just in case so I tried to keep one stack of everything and managing my resource slots was a huge pain.

Other things that would have been useful to know immediately to avoid fumbling around:

Resources stack in your inventory but different types of resources stack in different quantities. When you are picking up resources it will tell you how many resources slots you have left, not how much of that particular resource you have. For example, you might have 35/40 slots full but ridgewood stacks up to 250 so picking up more ridgewood won't necessarily clog up your inventory as much as it might look at first.

You can only climb on or hang off marked out edges and handholds. These will have beige/yellowish paint or be bright yellow mechanised parts. Aloy simply refuses to grab onto anything that's not marked out as specifically for grabbing. While you can often jump to get up mountains or other rocky terrain, the game won't expect you to ever have to so if you find yourself doing that to get somewhere for a quest you might want to look for some proper handholds instead.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is there any good reason to play Disco Elysium on PC compared to console? I don't know much about the control scheme but it seems like it's possible it's better with a mouse than a controller?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My PC is like five years old and has a middling graphics card from five years ago, and I have a PS5 so I'm trying to get games on that where possible, but also it looks like the kind of adventure game I'd be more used to controlling with a mouse.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Except the first few times you do this the text is just a transcription. Although I think the message you get is different for audio/video with just a transcription versus ones with additional notes, by the time you start to run into these you've probably scanned enough data points that you're ignoring the hint text.

Yeah this is exactly what happened to me. I only realised there was a point to reading the vantage point ones when I saw someone elsewhere on the internet describe them as a short story and was very confused.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

1redflag posted:

Just got Hades for PS4. Anything new/different than what’s on the wiki page?

It's pretty much right, but I wouldn't say spear is the best weapon, the best weapon is whatever your favourite is. Also the advice about not taking rooms with gems/darkness/nectar etc is useless because the game will essentially never offer you a choice between meta-currency and in-run currency, also it's wrong anyway since there's nothing wrong with prioritising meta progression over individual run strength.

I think I'm the one who added the advice about not taking the alternate exits unlock too early, but having been playing a new ps5 save file myself I am pleased to report that they have fixed it at some point so it's less tempting to buy it early.

Anyway basically game is good and you can't go wrong! Enjoy!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, should I be sticking to upgrading a small selection of specific weapons or is the upgrade stuff plentiful enough that I can pretty much upgrade everything without shooting myself in the foot?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pokemon Legends: Arceus - You can fast travel while in town to different areas of the town, which is especially great for not having to slooooowly run back from the beach.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Things you should know about Horizon Forbidden West if you have any kind of fear of drowning/claustrophobia: you get an item through the storyline that lets you breathe underwater, and there are places you can wander into before you get it where you will absolutely 100% drown if you don't have it and the game will not clearly warn you that you don't have what you need. So if you're uncomfortable with that just avoid any unnecessary swimming until you have the thing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I've had Alot repeatedly tell me that an area is too deep or that she's lacking some sort of equipment whenever I've tried swimming into an area that requires the breathing mask.

Maybe I just got unlucky but the place I wandered into she didn't say anything of the sort. There was a corpse in front of the water which she said had drowned which I guess was meant to be my warning but I had no idea at all there was an underwater upgrade so no reason to pay it any mind.

Anyway even aside from the certain death places, the game loves making her almost run out of air swimming through tiny cave systems and it was super super stressful so it would have been nice to know to just beeline the upgrade first.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

yook posted:

I think I eventually stumbled into that place again accidentally via a back door elsewhere in the map, so I’m not sure you really need to actively worry about going back there.

I forget if the game tutorializes it, but you can down slash to pogo off of spikes and enemies. That doesn’t necessarily apply to the thorns in the greenpath area early in the game, but it gets used a lot later on.

This absolutely does not get used a lot later on, it's essentially a speedrunner technique that is only necessary in the extremely optional stupidly hard platforming challenge area. It's a useful technique for fighting some types of enemies but if you are doing it to get somewhere or do something you are sequence breaking.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ok I'm misremembering that there's a couple of other places in the game where you can get optional collectibles by doing it, but you definitely don't need it to finish the game and I think it could discourage a new player if they think it's going to become an important necessary technique.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm kinda stuck but I'm assuming that it's very much worth it to save up for the key?

The key is useful but if you don't have the lantern yet get that instead.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

Are you trying to tell me that you beat the Mantis Lords without ever pressing attack while in the air, but that “use sword while jumping” is an advanced technique to you? If so, you are an impressively patient person but I am mildly concerned about the state of your manual dexterity.

There's a huge difference between attacking enemies in the air and traversing distances by timing multiple chained jump-downswings repeatedly in a very particular rhythm. I didn't realise this would be so controversial an opinion!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

yook posted:

There’s stuff like the coliseum of fools too.

Though this did jog my memory that when I played hollow knight on switch, it was also around the time when I’d decided to get a second controller with a d-pad for some of my 2-d games. The thumb sticks were noticeably less reliable about registering “down” rather than “down-forward”, which would send the sword swing in the wrong direction. Then I’d usually have the long nail as part of my default charm setup, which gives a bit more of a timing window.

Sure but coliseum, especially the later ones, is a late game area. It just seemed strange to me to advise a newbie to learn to pogo as a thing they will need to know that gets used a ton in the game, but I guess it's possible I just never really paid much attention to it as a technique even in late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

As someone interested in playing BG3 those character multiclassing/leveling tips are way too much information yeah. I think "single class is absolutely fine, do some research if you want to multiclass especially spellcasters" gets the message across.