Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

KingSlime posted:

I could use some Final Fantasy Tactics pointers.

Everything that's been said is true, but another thing to note is that if all else fails you can just grind; the final boss is only level 70, I think, while you can hit 99. It's entirely possible to steamroll everything with a solo lv. 99 character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's morale, technically, and it doesn't really do much. If you fight the battle it'll fill on its own.

Much like roads and pants, it's a suggestion; Omega Force games are about murdering everything between points A and B, where A is where you start on the map, and B is... the map.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

anilEhilated posted:

If I remember The Pitt correctly, they're going to take away all of your equipment on start so you definitely want to save that for a higher level.

They do, and it's asinine, but it only takes about 30 minutes to get it all back. The Pitt also has some interesting vertical to its level design which is a nice departure from the comparative flatness of the Capital Wasteland, and gives you the opportunity to grab some fairly powerful gear in case you're having trouble after they take your poo poo. All in all, it's actually pretty balanced for just about any level you'd want to try it at as long as you've got a decent grasp on the game's mechanics.

Point Lookout is the bigger concern; the enemies there are huge sacks of health and have a perk that causes all of their attacks to do an extra 35 unblockable damage to the player.

If you have all of the DLC, go hit Operation: Anchorage first. It's a bit of a slog, but it'll arm you with some stupidly overpowered poo poo that might even up the bullshit in Point Lookout.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 4, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The stealth suit you get after clearing it is also 12 kinds of messed up, from its intended functionality being gamebreaking on, its own to weird bugs involving wearing infinite hats.

And the power armor it gives you is the version that's supposed to be in the "simulation" that has 11 billion health so it never degrades significantly.

As for the rest of Anchorage, I've never really understood why Bethesda decided that the thing their game about exploring and looting poo poo needed was to remove the exploration and looting and just have you run a corridor shooter for a couple of hours. :shrug:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I don't remember the names any more, but the perk that let's you make booster drinks is fantastically useful for the speed booster (doubled sprint speed and endless running endurance for a minute) and night vision booster (see clearly at night without light so you don't alert volitiles, also for a minute.)

The other really useful one is whichever one gives you extra crafted stuff; it doubles your craftes molotovs and medkits and gives an extra three boosters from the crafting recipes.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 26, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ahundredbux posted:

I bought shadowrun: dragonfall during the steam sale, I've played plenty of turn based games before so is there something related to character build or team selection I should have in mind?

AP damage is super powerful, since for most of the game doing 2 ap in a turn will screw the recipient out of their next turn. So yeah, making your character a mage is a really good choice, since they get a number of spells that do AP damage.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Geektox posted:

Trying to play no-kill, no-detection put me off both DE:HR and Dishonoured. Not the games' fault, but really my stupid achievement obsession. My tip is to not play those games this way unless you hate yourself.

At least not the first time through.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ToxicFrog posted:

That, and killing people in the prologue -- where the tutorial explicitly tells you to pick up a gun and start shooting, and stealth is impossible -- counts.

Stealth is totally possible, it's just not intuitive. Turns out those spec ops guys might have been on loan from Foxhound's genome project.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's not exactly an SMT game anyway. Keep healing items stocked, keep your levels up, and you'll do fine. You can get better equipment earlier by playing the fishing minigame, and you need to reach a certain fishing rank for one of the masters, but as long as you're familiar with JRPGs you shouldn't have any trouble if you don't bother.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Anyone have any tips for The Guild 2?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

juliuspringle posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing. Gonna have to try not soldier at some point if I can use whatever gun I want. Is that just the first game or what?

Pistol's already the hands down best gun though? :confused:

Anyway, there's weapon and skill specific achievements for getting x kills with it (or x uses for purely defensive abilities.) When you start a new game with them recognized, you can choose ONE bonus ability that you wouldn't otherwise have access to. You still need to spend skill points into them to make them worth a drat, though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Probably, but I don't have a PC handy right now. Otherwise I'd give it a shot.
And if not, this will help me get the other teammate trophies/unlocks.

If memory serves, you don't actually need to have beaten the game once, so you could start an easy game with whatever class has the skill you want, quickly farm up the appropriate achievement and then start a new game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

But Not Tonight posted:

stick to using CDs but allow DVD support as well! BOOM let's make it happen, I can't wait to get my fat purple rabbit fighter goin again

e: had to look it up, my favorite was Amethyst, Hare + Naga breed with a knockout punch

You'd have better luck doing it as a smart phone game and using QR codes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It should be noted that, while effective, soldier is without a doubt the most boring way to play Mass Effect, so give some consideration to doing another playthrough as another class once you finish this one.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gerblyn posted:

There's nothing really wrong with it, you just don't have any real cool abilities like the other classes do. You can always use the abilities from your team mates, so it's not that big a deal.

Yeah; soldier is very effecyive, and possibly the most powerful/best class for insanity, but it's just extremely bland compared to the other options.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I like the game, but comparing Jade Empire to a fighting game is just silly. It's two-button combat that empasizes swapping styles rather than button-input style combos.

The most complicated part of the combat system boils down to hitting an enemy with a support style, then quickly switching to an attack style and power attacking before the support effect wears off. It's easily doable with KB+M, so just use what you're most comfortable with.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

You can't get the true ending on your first playthrough, but if you meet the other conditions and get the normal ending, you can reload the save before the normal final boss and backtrack and get the true ending stuff, if you'd rather not do a whole 2nd playthrough for it.

That said, there's a lot of little extras in the story for when you play through a second time, so if you're enjoying it, go ahead and reset, even if you do qualify for the true pacifist ending on the first go.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I didn't have any trouble going through Dragonfall with a pure mage, though that's probably in part because status spells are so powerful.

More generally for all three games: AP damage is phenomenally powerful. In the first half to two-thirds of each game you and your enemies will have 2 AP to move and attack with. That means that if you can do just one AP damage to an enemy, they'll probably burn their one action moving. If you do two damage, they've lost their next turn. If you crit and do three or more, they've lost their next turn and part of the following.

There is almost no scenario where doing hp damage is better than doing AP damage. If you have the choice between finishing an enemy off ot tossing a flashbang or stunball at two other enemies, it will almost always be better to knock out the two enemies' turns temporarily than to end one enemy's turns permanently.

In Dragonfall, you'll need to rely on your own character for AP damage solutions. Someone got wise in Hong Kong and gave seveeal team members a smattering of anti-AP options; they're almost all worth taking.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

limp_cheese posted:

Anybody have any advice for this?

Don't get too attached to your heroes; in the early game you'll be lucky to get more than one fight out of them. Don't put any one bloodline in charge of more than one keep or you'll wind up with a ton of heroes from one family that you can't pair off to keep succession lines going.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

StoneyAssassin posted:

Anything for Way of the Samurai 3?

It's been a while since I played that one, but if you've played either of the earlier games or four you'll understand the basic gameplay; wander around, find events, experience different sequences of them to unlock different storylines and endings. The game will indicate locations of events on your map with a symbol of a ink swirl (the game refers to them as "inklings.") 3 adds the ability to prostrate yourself at any time; you can use this to surrender in a fight, and it can also be used to back out of a story event if you accidentally wander into the wrong one for the storyline you're trying for. As always, there's an option to end a run early if you want to restart for any reason.

The inner cloister of the ruler's castle can not be accessed until a certain number of events have been seen. Eight, I think?

If you kill the bandit leader, you'll be allowed to succeed him; you can then talk to the bandit job manager and demand your cut of the days take; you can request 1500 mon per day, but if you ask for more he'll leave in protest. In a similar vein, every faction has a job manager; do quests for them to raise your faction allegiance, most quests will upset one of the other factions, but it is possible to attain high standing with all factions.

Money and inventory persists between playthroughs, so feel free to spend the occasional run stocking up resources for later attempts to complete a specific story.

There's a quest to reconcile the two Dojimas; the rewards aren't anything spectacular, but it's just a matter of running back and forth between the two exchanging messages for them. Both are equally capable at upgrading weapons; you can pay to reroll a weapon upgrade until you get a good one (+15/+15 is the best.) The weapon crafting system has a number of limitations that make hard to make anything worth using even out of the best parts you might find, until you gain access to dual-wielding. The dual-swords moveset is the same no matter what two weapons you choose to dual-wield, so make a pair of weapons with the strongest stats you can, without worrying about what moveset you have to attach to it. Once a weapon reaches level 50, it becomes indestructible.

There's 22 basic endings and a 23rd secret ending for murdering everyone, save bards included. This will require entering each part of town multiple times for each time of day. You'll also need to do enough jobs for the castle so that the inner cloister is opened, too.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting. I'll write more if/when I remember more.

Edit: 3 reintroduces the Awase mechanic from the first game; it takes some practice, but you can avoid any attack by tapping guard right before it hits you. This will work any time except when you're attacking; whether you're jumping, guarding, staggered, even after you've been knocked on the ground. There's also a chance to "learn" these attacks which will auto-awase the attack in the future.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 5, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ainsley McTree posted:

e2: She's in act 3 and complaining about doing a fetch quest for Anders and I'm just biting my tongue. She has no idea what level of "oh gently caress you anders" is coming

He was the one tolerable mage in origins and awakening, too. :smith:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gynovore posted:

Endurance and Intelligence are vital, Perception and charisma are poo poo. Good Natured, Pack Rat, and Logan's Loophole are good perks.

An exception to this is that Perception 6 is necessary for Better Criticals, which affects both random crits AND sneak attack crits, so if you're planning to do a stealth build, you'll want to get at least 5 perception and buy the implant once you get to the followers' clinic.

Also, Logan's loophole is very powerful once you have a good idea what you're doing, but if it's your first time leave it off, since it's purpose is to limit your max level to the pre-DLC cap, in exchange for some other benefits.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chairface posted:

EYE Divine Cybermancy has so many twists most people who beat the game still aren't sure what the hell happened.

That's more a function of the translation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mister Adequate posted:

Pretty much anyone can actually get broken once you know what you're doing

All you really need to know about Breath of Fire 3 is that it's not hard, and most of it is chill as hell, so relax and enjoy yourself.

It's basically a JRPG road trip.

Edit: To clarify, this is the reason it's still one of my favorite games; I can find a game where I save the world anywhere. A game that just follows the misadventures of a JRPG party is still pretty drat unique.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 17, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I really love sci-fi, even if it's sometimes considered bad. Loved BSG, including season 4. Also the game's story reminds me of Revelation Space a bit. From how I understand it, as the games go on, the combat gets better but the story gets shittier? Or is the main lovely part just how it ends?

It depends on what you want out of a game story. Each of the games' core plots are at least serviceable when it comes to providing your motivation to "go here, shoot this thing, talk to this alien, etc." but if you have specific preferences or if you have expectations of thematic continuity, the shift from 1 to 2 can be rather jarring. In blunt terms, if ME1 is like old Star Trek, then 2 and 3 cleave much closer to JJ Abrams' Star Trek.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Broose posted:

Has anyone here play Hard West? I'm wondering how I should be approaching the mining stuff. Should I be using all my lease between each mission dispite increasing taxes from the cartel? I've already learned to explore before mining to unlock more sites and other bonuses.

Don't worry too much about that; each chapter has a unique mechanic, mining is only in the first chapter.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ToxicFrog posted:

Their crowdfunding has done well, but they've stated before that it doesn't come anywhere close to covering the cost of another project like Alpha Protocol.

The thought occurs that a studio could cut some, if not most, of those costs by making all of the conversations text based (some kind of cyberpunk dystopia where your only communications with other people are through emails and text messages, maybe) but it would be taking a risk and I'm not going to blame anyone for not wanting to take a shot at it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gynovore posted:

Basically this. Things that the game gives you little or no information on, and if chosen will gently caress you up.

For example, for Fallout 4: do not take the perks Lead Belly, Basher, Aquaboy, Ricochet, or VANS. They are all totally useless and you can't respec without console commands or mods. Also, if you are wandering around and see a hatch in the ground labeled "hatch", do not click it, you will die.

There's no level cap in Fallout 4 though, so how badly do poor perk choices REALLY screw you?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Soldier is arguably the most powerful but most boring class in ME1. The biotic classes have the more visually interesting powersets, since it's all about applying physics to the enemy. Vanguard is probably the easiest one thanks to better armor and barrier.

As for weapons, your aim will be poo poo with anything you don't have at least one point in, but pistols will out damage everything until the very last level of assault rifles anyway.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zaodai posted:

Wait, what other RPG shooters did you buy out of curiosity?

I wouldn't mind hearing this either; I've kind of run dry.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Oscar Wild posted:

I just started jonesing to play some Fallout 3 again. The first time I played stealth, small guns. Any other fun play styles? Is strength melee any fun or unarmed?

I remember enjoying big guns, as long as you're willing to do the extra mercentile work to keep yourself in enough ammo. Never stealth, just hold down m1 and plow through everything.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Anyone have tips for Hacknet? I've already played Uplink, if that helps.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

haldolium posted:

special tip: mute every voice audio to avoid brain damage. You can also skip every cutscene and make up your own dialogue when interrogating. That way the game is much more fun.

...huh. How hard is it to mod ubisoft games?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Something for Tyranny that I just discovered which is making it way easier to stay invested; the numpad +/- buttons control gameplay speed in and out of combat. Putting everything at max speed is really helpful for exploring and at least personally, makes the early game combat far more tolerable since you're only waiting 2 seconds between actions instead of 4.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lakbay posted:

I still don't really understand the Push/Pull/Parry system even after reading a bunch on it. There's a bunch of conflicting reports on what you're supposed to do when there's a red or blue light above your opponents head

It's easier than it sounds, but it does get pretty complex. Short version is that it's a combat subsystem that provides some additional effects based on what direction you're pushing the left thumbstick (I assume you're using a controller) at the moment your sword meets an enemy's. .

There's really just four states to be aware of. To break it down further:

When you are attacking:

- If your target is guarding, and has no indicator over their head, if you push the thumbstick towards them during a light attack, you will push them off balance, breaking their guard and letting you get a free attack or two in.

- if your target is guarding and has a blue indicator over their head, it means they're going to try to pull when you attack them. If you're pushing towards them when this happens, you'll stumble and be open for them to attack.

When you are guarding

- if the attacking enemy has a red indicator over their head, press the thumbstick away from them, and you'll pull them off balance, the same way as I just described, letting you counter attack.

- if the attacking enemy has no indicator over their head and you try to pull them, you'll drop your guard to do the animation, and leave yourself open.

Parrying is when you tap guard right as an attack is about to hit you; you'll negate the attack entirely, and when you parry a weak enemy (health bar background is green), you'll get a button prompt to instant kill them, kicking off a chain kill where you play ddr to one shot each nearby enemy in succession (this is how you beat the "kill 100 dudes" missions without going insane.) Stronger enemies (purple background; mostly story characters) will just take a lot of damage. The timing is a little tricky, but it doesn't add any heat to your sword and you can do it in any state except when you're in an actual attack animation (you can even do it during an attack's recovery, while guarding, in the air, on your back, etc.). Also, there's a mechanic where your equipped sword can "learn" whatever move you parried, making you auto-parry it from then on.

There's a lot more permutations to the system (you can pull mid attack, and push during a guard) but if you start with those four states in mind you should get a handle on it pretty quickly. I had a lot of fun with that game's combat, it's deceptively deep.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 27, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty much. Lester's missions are all about playing the stock market by messing with various companies, so you can take advantage of that by dumping your money into the company that'll benefit from your murder and/or mayhem antics.

I haven't played 5, so maybe it's not an option, but wouldn't the simplest way to play the market be to short whatever company is owned by the targets?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RatHat posted:

Wait what? When I did it close to release(on PS3) you'd do the assassination, wait a day to update stocks, invest in the now super cheap company, wait a few days(weeks?) until it goes back up again, and sell all your stocks for sweet profit. Was it changed at some point or something?

To expand on what PJ Omega said, shorting a stock is where you "borrow" a stock from a bank, sell it at it's (presumably) high value, wait until the value drops, then rebuy the same amount of stock to return to the bank.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Watch the trailer (narrated by Tom Francis, the dev) and decide for yourself!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It is; your social links have a mountain of gameplay effects atached to them, but the most important one is that they provide an exp bonus when you fuse a demon of their associated arcana.

For specific battle tips, the single most important thing to know is that modern smt games use the press-turn system, where attacking an elemental weakness has significant tactical benefits (for both you AND enemies). In P5, hitting a weakness knocks the target down and gives the attacker a free turn. These can be chained together. Additionally, there are bonus actions that can be taken when all enemies are knocked down.

Don't worry too much; the tutorial does a decent job explaining press turn and other important concepts. The ones it's a little lighter on are: instead of working rarely, instant death abilities will hit something like 1/3 of the time by default. 2/3 if the target is weak to it. Debuffs and status effects are very powerful, and can completely change a fight. Panic in particular is enormously powerful. Try it on bosses and special fights in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I find that to be very strange.

Certain fights take advantage of that to brutal effect.