Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything on Sunless Skies? I played Sunless Sea for a bit but never got far. I also really like the browser game they had for a couple of days. Something about the Eldritch unfathomable weirdness of it all really works for me.

Or should I give Sunless Sea another shot? I'm hoping Skies gives a bit of a, I dunno, smoother more engaging experience that'll hold my interest longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Huh, I used almost the exact same phrasing as the person asking a couple of pages ago. I probably read it and forgot about it, which put the idea of playing it into my head.

Thanks, seems like I'll have to go in mostly blind.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also, the AI is stupid and terrible at strategic combat.

This gives you an obvious edge, but also means that the slower your game setting, the bigger that advantage becomes because the longer units will have to last. The game speed impacts the time it takes to produce units, but not the battles themselves or the amount of HP your units have, or how fast they heal (IIRC).

So say you have a fight and come out on top, your surviving units will have a much longer time to rampage around, heal, conquer a city, etc, because it takes your opponent 10 turns to produce a replacement unit vs. 3 turns at a faster game setting.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Truman Sticks posted:

IMO playing on marathon or epic speed benefits Civs that have early era unique units - such as the Aztecs - because you get more turns to use these units that outclass your opposing Civs.

Oh, for sure! That's another aspect I should've mentioned but forgot about. It's been a while since I played the Civ games.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Gynovore posted:

A while back, some dude asked for hints for Civilization V:

• A good city should be:
    Not on a hill

Wait, I thought it was good to start on a hill because it gives you an extra hammer? Or is that just Civ 6?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Given it's a matter of strategy/preference for more experienced players (though I think the early boost is way more valuable considering how snowbally the game is) I'd take it out. Especially when keeping in mind it's meant for new players who will gain more from the early benefit than the mid game boost. You might want to put in the same doesn't go for tiles that give two or more food, though. Settling on a three food tile doesn't add to the food production over settling a one or two food tile, I'm pretty sure.

Eta: might also want to add that settling on bonus resources is a waste, but settling on certain luxery resources can be a good idea sometimes. For example, settling on hills with gold (iirc) can be a huge benefit because you get both the hammer and the gold (from the luxery) added to your city production without having to work the tile, while also instantly getting the luxery resource once you've researched the needed tech without having to build a mine on it first.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 20, 2020

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yesterday I was bored and clicking around on the wiki reading about games I already played, seeing if there's interesting things I never knew and stuff.

Boy, is the Morrowind wiki something. It's not so much a Before I Play guide and more of a walkthrough on how to trivialize the early game using exploits and telling you exactly where all the best poo poo is.

Like, that's fine if that's how ya'll want it to be, but if it were me I'd at least seperate the list in two sections: one with genuine advice that'll be useful for a first time player and a second, clearly seperated, list with all the exploits and stuff. I mean, there's literally a step by step walkthrough for a couple of early quests in there, which doesn't seem like the point of the wiki? (Also it seems heavily biased towards the writers favourite playstyle, but whatever.)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything for Phoenix Point? Surprised it isn't on the wiki. I've played quite a bit of X-COM but I'm afraid that I'll fall into traps because of that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything about Prey (and the DLC) I should know that's not on the wiki? I've finally got both the time and the mindset to properly enjoy this game.

Also, is it supposed to be hard? I'm playing on normal difficulty expecting a pleasant challenge but not too bad and I'm about an hour in but it's already pretty tough. I'm in the Hardware Labs and the flying bots aren't too much of a hassle, but those walking mimics are scary. Even though I cover them in goo almost instantly they often manage to get a hit or two in which is enough to take away most of my health. I feel like I'm using one or two medpacks after every fight which doesn't feel sustainable because, you know, I'm out of healthpacks already after facing only two of them.

Could also be I'm just bad after not having played a proper FPS in a long time.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks all! I felt like either I was fundamentally doing something wrong and would get punished hard because poo poo would only get worse or (as it seems now) it's just a bump in difficulty I have to get over and it'll get easier once I get more tools at my disposal.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Alright, played another hour or so last night and apparently I was super close to picking up the bullet schematics, and luckily there's a fabricator in the area. After making 100+ bullets the difficulty feels much more aligned to my expectations and if it keeps going like this I'll probably bump it up a notch or two.

The game just seems to be really hard that short period you only have a wrench (that you can swing 4 or 5 times before being exhausted), a gloo gun and a gun with maybe 20 bullets.

Game is excellent so far. Really scratching that system/bioshock itch I didn't know I had, and I haven't even unlocked any special powers yet. :v:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I know it's only just out but I'm sure some of you are already playing it and have a better understanding of these games than I do, so, anything I should know about Humankind that isn't obvious?

I've dipped my toes in these last couple of days but never made it past the classical age but I've got 2 days off and I want to do a real run now. I've played civ 5 and 6 (and even finished a couple of runs in those) so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the genre, but I don't want to play all day tomorrow only to realise I've fallen into a trap and have to start over the next day and not actually win or lose a game, you know?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same.

100% to me is getting to the end of a game, finishing the story and enjoying it. Everything beyond that is just gravy, and I usually don't bother with collectables and stuff unless they're either an interesting challenge in and of themselves (like getting the strawberries in Celeste) or they offer extra story or worldbuilding (Horizon Zero Dawn), and even with those I never force myself just to get the achievement. I just naturally move on to a new game without even consciously quitting the former game, you know? And then at some point I need to clear up some space and I'll realise I haven't played it in weeks or months and don't feel the urge to keep it so away it goes.

I get there's a sense of pride and achievement for some people in seeing and doing everything, but that just isn't me.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

This is as good a place a any to ask, because I'm feeling like I'm playing Two Point Hospital wrong, maybe?

Is room size important at all, like with diagnosis or treatment chance of success? I've gone through like 80% of the campaign now and I've even 3 starred some hospitals, and the only reason for me to go beyond the minimum size requirements for rooms is either to fill in a gap or it's a ward or whatever that handles multiple patients at a time. Like my GP offices are all the same 3x3 prestige level 2 rooms with 5 medicine cabinets lining one wall and heating/cooling, a bin and hand sanitizer. Does prestige level factor into diagnosis/treatment success or is just a staff happiness thing?

But I feel like either I'm actually good at this game or that I'm playing it wrong. I'm doing Roquefort Castle now and it's huge, and I looked up the requirements for getting the stars and already got the first, but I'm only using like 1/5th of the available space and I'm already at the hospital value requirement for the two star, needing only 1,5mil for the third star. They're giving me so much more space than I actually need?

Also I feel like the reception room and the cafeteria are a trap? The reception area is kinda useful in those wave levels where you get dozens of patients at once but in regular levels it seems fine to just have two or three desks, and the cafeteria simply doesn't add any benefit over having vending machines and some entertainment scattered throughout the hospital. I never even tried it because I feel like pulling the patients away from where they're diagnosed/treated is a bad thing.

When I look at screenshots of the game on google images or whatever (I haven't watched any letsplays) I see these 'realistic' hospitals where they have fairly large rooms, but it's like 4-6 rooms per building/segment and it's laid out very spaciously, whereas my hospitals are just 2 space wide corridors lines with rooms at their minimum requirements and it's super efficient and just works? Maybe it's a different way of playing the game. When I play Sim City or City Skylines for example I find those games to be so easy that the challenge is in making the city look realistic, but I find that the realism in Two Point Hospital leads me to make it as efficient as possible. When I look at those online examples it's just not right either way: too roomy for realism and too inefficient with regards to the game mechanics, you know?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything for Grounded? I started playing it yesterday and I feel like I've got a good start. Made a base at the mysterious machine and working on a second one near the hedge. Got myself a bow and a full set of red ant armor, which allowed me to get the materials to upgrade my gear a bit since the ants now think I'm one of them but I'm still getting wrecked by stuff. I can take on ants and larva and stuff fine as long as there's not too many and I feel like the next step would be stinkbugs and msoquitoes but they just destroy me. I'm staying far away from spiders because I think that's late game stuff.

I feel like the game is pushing to go to the hedge but there's a bunch of bombardier beetles and spiders and I'm hitting a wall in my progression. It's either that or explore the toxic areas but for that I need to kill a stinkbug which I can't yet.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks for the tips on Grounded. I'm getting blocking down and got some new gear (mosquito sword owns), finished the Hedge and now I feel the world is opening up somewhat.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been a while but I remember pogoing to be pretty easy because the arc of your swing is fairly big (and can be made even bigger with a charm) so getting the timing right isn't all that hard. It's very generous in that regard.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything for Two Point Campus? It seems very similar to Two Point Hospital but it's just different enough that I'm afraid of making dumb/obvious mistakes.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also if you want to see some amazing parks check out Silvarret on YouTube. He designed a lot of the campaign maps and is playing through the campaign.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oooooh, I loved Freelancer so much. I'm gonna give this game a shot.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any early advice for Dave the Diver, in particular about running the restaurant at night? I think I generally have the hang of it, particularly now that I've added staff, but at least two things are a little unclear:

--Is it always a good idea to put a dish on "Auto-Supply" rather than just offering several of the dish for sale? This seems like the best way to avoid wasting more than a single serving, but since it's merely an option, and the default is to put out multiples of a single dish, I'm wondering if I'm missing some downside to "Auto-Supply".

--I placed my first version of the second tier ad, and got two candidates, one of whom had 125+ service skills, which is where I needed help, but another of whom who had a single point in every skill (and cost only 4 gold to hire). I hired the first guy because it seemed like an immediate need, but I assume the second applicant wasn't some kind of bug, so is there some special advantage to a cheap hire with no skill who -- what? -- you can train up cheaply?

And one tip, in case this helps anyone else, as it was confusing me -- if you craft a new weapon, it will give you the option to equip it immediately. I couldn't figure out where my previously equipped weapon had gone, and thought maybe I lost it and needed to craft a new one. But it's not gone -- it's just in the storage box on the boat, next to Cobra. If you access that box before diving you can pick which weapon and charms to equip

Don't upgrade your suit too much too early on. You won't be able to go deeper than I think 150m? until a certain plot point, so upgrading your suit to deeper than that is pointless before that. Don't sleep on the other upgrades though, because they're really useful. Halfway through chapter 2 oxygen simply wasn't much of an issue anymore except as a health meter, and the carry weight and harpoon upgrades feel really hefty. You really notice the difference, which is nice.

I just got to chapter 3 and it's super fun, but also seems to be simple enough that there's no real ways you can handicap yourself? Playing suboptimally just means you take a couple of days longer to reach the next plot point, I guess.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of camp supplies: I was running low in Act 2 and getting worried after the Waning Moon (the pub/brewery) when I realized that many, many of the bottles there are worth 4 or 6 camp supplies each. Easily missed because they don't highlight and just seem part of the scenery, but now I'm thinking I missed a lot of supplies that way.

Also, while camp supplies can be used from the traveler's chest, for some reason it doesn't seem to include them in the check when you're about to rest and it'll warn you that you don't have enough even though you do.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Then it suggests using 400 supplies worth of food.

Yeah, that's because it doesn't split the stack of the 40 supplies worth items, so you have 10 of those and not enough random stuff and it'll just want you to use the whole stack lol

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The Talos Principle 2

Idk if this is something appropriate for the wiki but the seizure warning at the start is appropriate. Not for the main gameplay exactly (although I've read and seen people complaining about nausea but that's more of a FOV and bobbing issue I think) but there's one point in the game I've across so far (and I'm in the last area) where even I had to look away and I'm not prone to to that kind of stuff. (Only other time I had to look away for this reason was looking at a zootrope thingy at a Picar excibition.)

There's a point where you interact with a broken/protoype piece of technology called a somno-something and the visuals are a lot like those in Cyberpunk 2077 before they fixed it. Lots of flashing lights in a way that could easily trigger an episode if you're prone to that kind of thing.

On a lighter note, for those on the fence because they hated the time/rewind puzzles from the original, none of that kinda poo poo in the sequel, yay!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's become standard practice for me to checl the wiki when I start a new game, or at least shortly after I started it and I come across a choice where it's not immediately obvious that I can't gently caress myself over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been playing Tears of the Kingdom lately and I finished the four regional problems, so now I'm about to do the next step in the story but first I just want to chill for a bit, explore the world, do sidequests and shrines and poo poo. So occasionally there's something I can figure out for myself but it'll be a drag or I can just google it, so I do. Like I'll find a point of interest and after a bit it's not clear to me how to interact with it, so I google whether there's a solution I have to figure out or if it's gated behind the story at a later point. Or I'll google what materials I need for a particular upgrade and/or where to find those (like Gibdo wings.)

Often I get an obvious AI text that's structured and worded weirdly.

[Paragraph explaining the difference between upgrading and fusing]
[Paragraph on how fusing works in general]
[Paragraph on why would want to fuse items]
[Paragraph on what you can use material X to upgrade]
[Paragraph on the fuse effect on weapons]
[Paragraph on the fuse effect on arrows]
[Paragraph on how upgrading works in general]
[Paragraph on why you would want to upgrade]
[Paragraph on the usefulness of the armor sets you can upgrade using this material]
[Paragraph on how to cook in general]
[Paragraph on the usefulness of cooking]
[Paragraph on using this material in cooking]
[Paragraph on what enemies drop the material]
[Paragraph on where to find those enemies, but only vaguely, like Gerudo Desert] <- This is the actual information I'm looking for and it's not even loving useful.

All worded weirdly and inefficiently, describing completely obvious things as if they're new information. "Fusing a material to an arrow adds to its attack power. This is useful because it will do more damage to an enemy, thereby depleting it's health more quickly so you defeat it sooner, thus making the battle shorter and giving it less opportunity to do damage to you. This is a great strategy because if enemies do damage to you you lose health as represented by hearts and when you have no more hearts left the game ends and you are forced to start anew from an earlier save point."

gently caress AI.