Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just Mass Effect for PC, for the bargain price of £5.99 and was wondering if there's any DLC I absolutely must get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fun Times! posted:

Anyone have good advice for a guy who's never played Sid Meier's Pirates? I played for 20 minutes and wasn't sure how to handle a boat I destroyed. I made it my primary vessel or something and it has poo poo health and no crew! (Starting over)

Unless you get a Ship Of The Line, only ever make sloops, sloops of war and royal sloops your flagships. In a sea battle, you want to get your ship into theirs as fast as possible without inflicting/taking too much damage, so a nippy maneuverable ship is your best bet. Only ever use grapeshot against enemy ships.

I usually take my starting sloop and camp out around some Spanish cities stealing trade galleons until they send a royal sloop out to get me. Don't worry about being outnumbered in sea battles, swordfighting is easy enough that you can be outnumbered 5-1 and still prevail.

For city battles, I usually try and equal or outnumber the opponents forces. Cover is your friend: Stay in the trees until absolutely necessary. That way cavalry are hosed against you and you take way less damage from gunfire. As soon as you have the manpower, start plundering cities. You get tons of cash, the battles are easy if you're sensible and if you install a new governor, that country will love you.

The best tactic to start out is to take a few trading ships, return to your base port and get promoted and repeat, until you are famous and wealthy enough to do whatever you want. I generally try and keep at least one nation on side at all times, just so I have safe havens to go to if I need repairs.

Download a mod to make dancing automatic. Dancing isn't fun or piratical, but it does get you some neat stuff.

Edit: Oh, and if a barman tells you that a ship is carrying a carpenter/cook/whatever, ignore its nationality and attack it. The special crewmembers are really handy, and the odd ship here or there won't make a nation turn against you.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 1, 2011

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

scamtank posted:

• Working for the Spanish isn't worth the effort. They've got the most treasure/ships flowing through the Caribbean and they're almost always at war with one of the other European powers.

Working for the Spanish can be pretty rewarding, if you go over to the West Indies (The island chain on the Eastern side of the map), you can merrily plunder away and earn Spanish promotions. I usually save this until I'm fully promoted in all the other countries and am just trying to get all the promotions I can before I retire, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it earlier.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Spermando posted:

Using the detective mode all the time (except for battles) will help you find secrets, which in turn give you experience.
This ruins the game.

Spermando posted:

Buy the combat and armor upgrades first.
Get the inverted takedown first, then the combat upgrades, then batarang upgrades. The armour upgrades are totally pointless: You can go the whole game without taking a single hit.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never found the inverted takedown to be a terribly useful move, but it's bad-rear end enough that I always get it first and go out of my way to use it, even when there would be better ways to handle the situation.
Really? I use it all the time. Not only because it's bad rear end, but it's a really easy way to take someone out. Especially if you've taken out all but two people: They split up, panicking, and you take out one with an inverted takedown then glide kick the other.

Ratatozsk posted:

And then once you've used it, you can occasionally Batarang the dangling goon down onto another thug coming to investigate him.
And this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gaggins posted:

Here's a timesaver for console versions of Fallout: New Vegas.

-Sick of having to save using the slow-rear end save system? Just rest for one hour and the game will autosave. Over the course of the game, this will probably save you 30 minutes (if you are like me and paranoid of being overrun by deathclaws or caught stealing and save every five minutes).

Except that this is terrible advice. I'm pretty sure that autosave is one of the primary causes of crashes in an already pretty buggy game. The save system isn't that slow, anyway.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gaggins posted:

I've yet to have the game crash except once when I tried to use my PipBoy. I've probably totaled less than 50 hours but I would expect to have run into that by now if it's that big of an issue.

You are very lucky. NV crashes about once an hour for me, and most frequently when autosaving. I think it's a pretty common problem.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ice Blue posted:

The only thing you need to win that game is make a deck full of 8, 9, 10, and K. You could throw in some Q and J to gently caress with them if you want.

Keep replacing cards until you get decent cards (not too many 10s). 8+K/8+10 is 26. 9+K/9+8 is 26. You basically can't go wrong with more 8s. Extra 9s aren't bad since you could just do 9+9+8. Too many 10s or Ks is the only problem with the strategy, but I've never lost using this.

There is absolutely no need to bother with all this. I've never lost a hand of caravan since I worked out how to play it, and I just buy all the cards I find and randomise the deck.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just got inFamous and Dead Nation for free by way of apology from PSN. Any tips? More for Dead Nation, which I've never heard of.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 13, 2011

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

More military units. Five or six units total to defend six cities is nowhere near enough.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I couldn't see anything on the wiki, but does anyone have any hints for Caesar 3? It's not the first time I've played it, but it has been a decade since I played it on my crappy old desktop and I've forgotten everything I ever liked about it...

I am so crap at it, I can't even get past the second level. All my population seem to be leaving me at the drop of a hat, and every time I try and build something to attract them, I don't have enough population to staff the theatres/temples I build to make them happy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Stelas posted:

Both. Your map will gain question marks for trophies, or camera frames for riddles. I don't think you ever get the locations of the miscellaneous destructibles, though, and I have no idea what happens if there's nothing left to get.

You do get the locations of the destructibles. Except the Tyger cameras.

When there's no more riddler trophy locations to reveal, the game doesn't tell you, but there won't be any more riddler informants, which is a pretty big heads up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xander77 posted:

Deus Ex:Human Revolution

I just started getting weapon updates, and I'd hate to go the original DE route "oh, you've upgraded the assault rifle? Sucks to be you. Should have turned the pistol into an instant death dealer instead". So which weapons should I upgrade and take with me at least until the midgame? (I have the full inventory unlocked and prefer to remain non-lethal except for emergencies... but I aleady know that won't work with bosses)

Also, which augmentations should I definitely not take, and why?

You'll be swimming in weapons upgrades throughout the game, so don't worry too much about it. If you're really concerned about it, I'd go with the assault rifle over the pistol, as there are rarely any situations where you would use the pistol instead of the nonlethal option.

As for augmentations, don't bother upgrading the fortify or information augs for hacking. They are entirely useless.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm going to go against some of the advice here and actually recommend the pistol for upgrading. A fully tricked out pistol can one shot any soldier with a headshot in near silence from across the room. It remained an incredibly useful tool when the going got a bit rough.

I had a fully upgraded silenced pistol for my playthrough, and I agree that it can be a very powerful weapon, but there isn't a single situation in the game where it's a necessity: If you aren't in a shootout, you can do everything with silent takedowns; if things are getting a bit rough an assault rifle is better. And it can be silenced too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xander77 posted:

- Hacking basics: capture the nodes that are unlikely to be detected first, and if you are detected disconnect and try again. Once you have to start hitting nodes with high detection chances, fortify everything you've got as you start the capture process, and try capturing / fortifying several nodes at ones before the trace starts. A good hack is a mixture of planning out your path to have as much stuff in the bag before a trace starts as possible, and frantically juggling your capture and fortify options ones the trace starts.

Fortify is entirely unnecessary. It is a total waste of time.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xander77 posted:

Not if you're doing level 4-5 hacks and don't have the non-detection augmentation maxed out. Still useful even if you do.

(Particularly if you're trying to get all the rewards rather than just reach the green thingy, which I assume everyone should try due to being as min-max as me)

Nonsense. There is no point in upgrading fortify. I completed every hack wth rewards and I never fortified anything apart from the first time I did it and realised it was a waste of time.

If you are in a situation where you need to use fortify, you're hacking wrong. You can prioritise your targets and work your way around the grids really easily without setting off alarms, especially if you're willing to use the millions of nukes you pick up along the way.

I know that one of the great things about Deus Ex is that it's solvable in many ways, but recommending that players upgraded Fortify is the worst advice. I can't think of a less useful aug.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xander77 posted:

Except I'm not, at all. What are you talking about? I recommend people use the fortify option WHILE THEY HACK, not that they use augmentations on it.

Oh, OK. I thought you were advocating wasting praxis on upgrading the fortify ability.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of Arkham City, I'm finding a bunch of places where steam is blocking my access to riddler trophies. Is there an upgrade that helps me with this, or is there simply always a way to turn the steam off?

There is an upgrade. How far into the game are you?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just got Silent Storm from GOG. Any hints for how to maximise my experience? There's nothing about it on the wiki.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think the one thing that needs to be said about Deus Ex: Human Revolution is that in order to be swimming in praxis points, you need to play stealthily, ideally not killing enemies. If you're planning on a run and gun, you need to think more carefully about your aug choices.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gynovore posted:

There's only one spot in the game where you need to hurry: before rescuing the hostages in the first episode. This includes HQ beforehand.

And also if you want to save your friend Malik.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Lord Twisted posted:

About to start the Witcher. Any tips?

There's a lot of hints in the wiki.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cactus posted:

Wiki appears to be down at the moment.

It's working fine for me. Here's what it has to say:

The Witcher 1

- Get the intelligence talent that lets you gather herbs first, then you can shift click every plant you pass when moving about to grab potion ingredients instantly.

- Prioritize strength and stamina talents above all others, intelligence too if you use signs a lot.

- From there the simplest way to go is to just upgrade sword styles, try to have a few points in fast silver before the end of chapter 1 even though you don't have a silver sword yet, trust me on this. If you want to be more sign heavy Aard and Igni are great, but the others shouldn't be ignored.

- Take the skill herbalism ASAP.

- Buy and read every book you can get your hands on. You need to learn about monsters and plants before you can harvest ingredients off of them, which you'll need to do for quests and potion-making.

- It's probably not worth spending points on any of the signs aside from Aard and Igni

- When you use a blacksmith, you're not a actually upgrading your current sword, you're making a brand new one

- Don't bother using any weapons aside from your swords. They really don't have a use beyond giving the enemies things to fight with.

- If you make a potion with a special additional ingredient, make all future potions of that type with the same ingredient, otherwise they'll take up a separate inventory slot.

- If you take long-lasting potions you can meditate to clear your toxicity while still keeping their effects active.

- Make sure to learn how to make Specter Oil and have a jar of it handy before the end of Act 1.

- In Act 4 make sure to save a Devourer's tooth.

- Get anything you need out of storage at the beginning of Act V, because that's the only time you'll have access it for the entire act.

- Get Aard sigh stun upgrade early, most enemies in game are not stun-immune, even bosses, and you can kill a stunned enemy in single blow.

- Also invest in group style, it awesomely reverses the situation when you're outnumbered(which is, to say, pretty much all the time) - the more enemies are next to you the harder it hits on all of them at once.

- Use potions all the time, ingredients are plentiful, also try to brew potions with secondary effect for extra kick(same color ring around all ingredients).

- Sell ingredients with chemical names(salts, acids, crystals etc) for money when you find some, brew potions from weeds and monster organs you collect, the difference in price is huge. Also grab all the vodkas you find for potion bases, buying it is too expensive and nobody minds you stealing the drinks from their home.

- Perhaps more importantly, there is a very simple formula (which I think you learn in the prologue) to turn any alcohol into a top-tier potion base. Turn all the cheap booze you grab into White Gull and not only will that spare you from purchasing the expensive stuff, you will save a lot of inventory slots by only needing one stack for alchemy bases.

- Don't be afraid to craft a meteorite sword as soon as you have any three stones, instead of waiting for a "good" combination. There's several unique swords scattered throughout the game that are generally better than anything you can craft at those points, so unless you rush through the main quest those meteorite pieces will quickly become vendor fodder.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've read the wiki for Borderlands, but I'm having some difficulty. Namely, I keep getting absolutely mullered by everything that comes near me. Am I just getting ahead of myself and doing missions that are too hard, too soon, or am I missing something major?

I am currently lvl 12, playing as Mordecai, and I am dying very quickly and my weapons don't seem to be doing much damage.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thanks for the help! I've been going for missions that are a few levels above mine, so that probably explains it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just got gifted Civilization V on Steam. I've checked the wiki, and it says that I should download the City State Diplomacy mod. It sounds pretty good, because I do like diplomacy, but will it work with the Steam version?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

theshim posted:

Going to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution soon. Anything to add on top of the wiki's page?

Go with the Augs that you think are cool/interesting. That way, the story and the gameplay will fit what you like. I liked the jumping and strengths augs, just because they meant a non-lethal solution presented itself to most problems. Even if you don't have any combat augs, the bossfights aren't difficult.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

do girls poop posted:

The only exception is countering, sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 dudes attacking you at once and you need to press counter the appropriate number of times not to get hit.

Even if you are only countering one attack, you can press the counter button multiple times. It's a habit I got into when playing NG+, just because I was bad at spotting simultaneous attacks. Every time you get attacked, if you triple press the counter button, you will be much, much less vulnerable to multiple attacks later in the game.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Geektox posted:

Fallout 3
walking crab things

One piece of advice for Fallout 3 is to run away if you come across an enemy you can't kill. Mirelurks can be fairly tough going in the early stages, a problem which can easily be solved by cheesing it every time you see them.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The first Red Alert game is easily the best. It irons out some of the weaker elements of C&C, it has a great story and it's not as stupidly wacky as the later games.

RA2 is pretty good, but a little overly silly. I like Generals, but I've always felt it was bordering on racist.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 17, 2013

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just bought Gangsters: Life of Crime on GOG.com, and I am just as terrible at it as when it first came out. Does anyone have any tips to make me suck less?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because I have very little free time these days, I have only just got round to playing The Last Of Us. I've read the wiki page, and it's all good advice, but I don't think I've managed to clear a room of infected entirely with stealth so far, and I cant work out what I'm doing wrong...

With regular, predictable human beings, I can distract them, creep up and kill everyone in a given encounter pretty quickly, but whenever I get to infected, I kill one or two, then all Hell breaks loose and I have to start blasting my out of it, beating them to death with planks and generally doing things in about as un-pro a manner as is possible.

Does anyone have any tips for being stealthy and doing things as a pro-zombie killer, or am I doomed to panicking and shooting my way out of everything?

Not that I mind particularly, but it would be nice to be actually good at the game as well as enjoy the story!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thanks for the tips for The Last Of Us. I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I'm not tediously trying to clear each room!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All this talk of Far Cry makes it sound quite good. Should I just jump in at the most recent game, or is there a story that I need to follow from game one?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I despise playing video games with other people... I know that's an aberrant attitude, but it's more of a solitary pursuit for me, basically an excuse for some time to myself!

Is that going to hamper my enjoyment of FC4 to any great extent?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is there a point of no return in X-Com: Enemy Unknown? I'm really enjoying just playing the random encounters, and I don't really to stop playing yet... It feels like the game is winding itself up.

I have just got the hyper wave relay, if that gives any idea of how far in I am...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just finished X-Com: Enemy Unknown on normal difficulty and, while I enjoyed playing it a lot, I found it both too easy and too short. Should I kick up the difficulty, play marathon mode, iron man mode, or some combination of the three? I want to make it challenging, but not impossible!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think I'll try classic difficulty and marathon mode, then. I am too broke to get Enemy Within.

Well, I'm not, but I know I should be spending my money on my pesky children instead if slightly better versions of PS3 games I play in the snatched hour between bedtime and my wife finishing work.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ive just bit the bullet, and bought Enemy Within. Thanks thread!

Fake edit:
^^Might want to spoiler that, chap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but I can't see anything on the wiki for the Fallout 3 DLC. I played vanilla FO3 lots of times (on the PS3), and have recently downloaded The Pitt and Point Lookout. Is there anything I should do before starting either?

Currently at about level fifteen on a good karma playthrough, so I imagine I am ready for it, but just wanted to check before I start...