Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Muppetjedi posted:

Anything for RAGE?

I have the sewer missions and the extra items if it helps.

You can skip through conversations by walking away until the guy you're talking to stops talking, then walking back to start the next part. Repeat until the talking is done so you can get back to shooting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

thebardyspoon posted:

If I buy Persona 4 and play it for awhile will some of the terms and stuff in the section on the website become clear and then I'll be able to understand it better or is it stuff I should be keeping in mind from the off?

Read the instruction manual too, but Persona 4 is a pretty easy game to pick up and play. Most of that advice isn't too necessary, just have fun and experiment with the battle system.

The only thing you should know in advance is that you should finish the final dungeon by December 22nd, even though you have a couple of days after that before receiving a game over, otherwise you'll miss out on a couple of events.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

This comes with the first and second one, right?

For the first game, don't get caught up in doing every side quest. They're boring (kill 20 drowners, repeat ten times) and destroy the pacing of an otherwise fine game. You still get tons of experience points throughout the main plot.

Almost all of the "collect this many monster remains" sidequests you'll get enough of anyway as you progress through the game normally, and having all that extra cash around really helps. I'd agree that you shouldn't go out of your way to do this with the more annoying enemies to find though (the Alghouls in Chapter 2 or 3, for example). You do get some nice rewards if you do the trophy hunting quest though, including one of the best swords in the game.

A lot of the sidequests that aren't the trophy quests or collecting monster parts are usually good, so you should always do those.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Another Planescape tip: Do NOT leave the Mortuary until you obtain the Raise Dead power.

Similarly: Do NOT leave the Dead Nations until you obtain the Speak-With-Dead power.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Argon_Sloth posted:

Speaking of the forward dodge, use it. A lot. It gets you out of nearly everything that doesn't hit your legs.

Keep in mind that this will raise your difficulty REALLY fast, so if you want to keep your level down it might be better to backflip away and charge back in once the enemy has exhausted their combo.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Also is there a way to lock my camera on a target? I think the camera is what I'm struggling with the most.

RB locks onto an enemy.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I want to try getting into Dark Souls again, but the wiki entry is VERY sparse. What else should I know before going in? I'm going to restart with a new character, are there any classes that are more noob friendly?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

McKracken posted:

Ahhhh. Okay this makes a lot more sense now.

So if I want a parts, like a radome, go after just the AI pod. If I want boards, go after the parts and not the AI pod.

Do I have that right?

Yes, that's right.

Drop rates for some parts are stupidly low though, so it might take you a bunch of tries even if you only damage the pod.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
At the very least, get something that fixes some enemies having health multipliers (enemy health is equal to your level times some multiplier, most enemies are not like this). Gloom Wraiths and the highest level goblin types in particular will end up with absurd amounts of health at higher levels even if you have 100 Strength and 100 points of weapon skill, to the point where it takes a long-rear end time to just kill one and the dungeon you're in is going to have like 15-20 or so of them.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Twee as gently caress posted:

TES 4: Oblivion
1 - How different are Oblivion and Skyrim?
2 - In terms of gameplay and interface and so on, is Oblivion a real step back from Skyrim or is it more or less the same?
3 - Whatever you would want to add that's relevant?

1. Oblivion is Skyrim except not nearly as good. Skyrim doesn't really require any modding to be fun, Oblivion needs mods almost to be playable.

2. Both yourself and enemies have way more HP. Spell effects are less numerous and less fun, but you can create your own more powerful spells. Instead of everything being determined solely by skills and perks, you have Attributes as well (Strength, Intelligence, Endurance, etc) which affect things. You can increase attributes at level up, skills are tied to different attributes. How many times you've leveled a skill while at your current level determines how much you can level your attribute at level up. There are still "perks", but instead of Skyrim's huge amount of choices you get one perk every 25 levels of a skill that's always the same. The level and quest design is not nearly as good as Skyrim except for the Dark Brotherhood questline. Where Skyrim tried pretty hard to have every dungeon have at least one unique thing going for it (although we probably could have done with less Nord zombie tombs), Oblivion's dungeons outside of the main quest feel very same-ish.

3. Get a mod that fixes leveling lists unless you want Bandits to be wearing Glass and Daedric armor and certain enemies (high level Daedra and ghosts) to take two minutes to kill each at high levels.

EDIT: Everything in the post above mine is good advice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Heavy Lobster posted:

I've played the hell out of Dark Souls (and continue to do so) but might be able to pick up Demon's Souls pretty soon. I know the main differences, but what are some pointers for what I need to know regarding the stat/level-up system and the weapon/armor upgrade system?

Demon's Souls is like Dark Souls except the gameplay is nowhere near as polished and the difficulty spikes all over the place from "pathetic" to "blatantly unfair".

Major gameplay differences: Poise doesn't exist and there is no midroll, so go with light armor. You have a magic bar instead of set casts for spells. You have a stock of healing items instead of a limited number of Estus Flasks you can restore at checkpoints, and can carry up to 99 of each of them. This both breaks the game wide open and also makes it very annoying when you run out because then you have to go grind up some more.

There's something called World Tendency and it is the dumbest thing ever so just ignore it unless you are massively concerned about seeing every little bonus event and a couple extra weapons.

No levels have mid-level checkpoints, so be more cautious because dying is more frustrating than fun.

Learn how to dupe items to 99. Grinding in this game is more necessary than in Dark Souls and gets really tedious really fast. You collect souls a lot slower and you have to grind up upgrade items. Some upgrade items will almost never drop, and some you can even exhaust every source of them on a playthrough without having any drop. It also means you don't have to grind for healing items.

There's a guy hidden in 2-1 that can upgrade your weapons further once you give him the soul you get for clearing 2-2.

Armor variety is nowhere near as good as Dark Souls and you can't upgrade any armor sets.

Careful not to roll land onto Sage Freke too many times. Walk around to him, don't jump down to him.

You lose half of your max HP in spirit form, which you enter every time you die and can only leave by doing stuff online, killing a boss, or using a rare item of which there are a limited amount in the game. Find the Cling Ring in 1-1 to reduce the loss in max HP.