Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SpitztheGreat posted:

What do I need for Bioshock 2? I just played Bioshock on easy and feel like I missed out on some really good mechanics because of the lack of challenge. I hear the sequel is weak, but I'm hesitant to read too much because of spoilers.

I wouldn't say the sequel is weak. In fact, I think the sequel is better in a lot of ways...more refined, while remaining mechanically a "Bioshock" game (unlike Infinite, which I found enjoyable but a significantly different game). And judging from the fact that I didn't have much of a problem beating either game on the hardest difficulty with vita-chambers disabled, yeah, I'd say you might want to try the sequel on a higher difficulty. I can't imagine how loving boring the game must have been on easy.

Beyond, that, I don't really think you need to know a lot about Bioshock 2 to get started. It runs a lot like the original, although you play an older Big Daddy model instead of a person. The research mechanic is different in the sequel: Instead of taking photos of enemies, you actually "tag" a target with your camera and then try to hurt and kill them in various ways to increase the quality of your "research", which is a little more hectic than the original game.

Since you're a Big Daddy, the whole Adam harvest mechanic is pretty different too. You find a Little Sister and let her lead you to Adam-rich corpses at your leisure; because you choose when you harvest Adam (and subsequently attract splicers like flies to poo poo), you can plan ahead on how to temporarily fortify/booby-trap an area. That's a pretty different gameplay mechanic as well, but the game gives you better tools to defend yourself than the original game...and it can be pretty fun to protect the Little Sister from a hoard of surly splicers with miniguns, hijacked bots, and sentry turrets.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU