Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you are into achievements then there is a pointer for Aquaria. The Super Chef achievement requires some work (and a FAQ) and you can end up having to do much more work if you use rare ingedients prematurely. It's generally a good idea to always keep 2 of each ingredient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Big Sean posted:

Divine Divinity
Your character is much faster than most enemies, so kiting is frequently effective if you need to use it.

Make use of your speed when fleeing from enemies. It may be tempting to just teleport away, but the enemies will be probably waiting for you when you get back. It's a good idea to get some distance before dropping a teleporter pyramid so you won't have a tough time recovering it.

The teleporter pyramids also make playing a mage* much easier. Just leave the first pyramid near a free bed (like in the basement you get access to at the start) and you can always teleport away and fully recover your mana and health instantly. I don't remember if enemies regenerate when you rest, but the game is still a lot easier when you can just spam your most effective spells.

*Since DD's skillsystem is freeform you don't actually have to be a mage to cast spells. Seriously, just pick the character with the least awful voice-acting.

Edit: the game also has an easter egg that you'll never find without looking up instructions online. It's at the cemetary and involves a character called Apollo looking for his friend Shrimpo. It's all a reference to a Belgian gamesite/show that now longer exists.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 21, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Anyone have advice for the original Shin Megami Tensei? I know there is a megathread but I don't want to stumble across spoilers and stuff about the other games in the series by accident...

The Law Hero and Chaos Hero aren't permanent companions. You shouldn't neglect them, but don't get too attached to them either.

If you go exploring places out of order, you may find the "gushing jar" prematurely. Having it in your inventory, a certain character will refuse to talk to you before you get rid of it. You can just sell it in one of the shops, because the item will just respawn in it's original location.

Near the city you start in there is this red building, I believe it's referred to as a demon mansion. When you first gain acces to it you'll quickly find out you are way too underpowered for the enemies there. However with some luck (or even better: save states) and timely retreating, you can beat them. This will earn you massive XP and maybe even weapons you shouldn't have access to yet. It's worth giving a shot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The ending depends on whether you harvested or not. I believe you can get away with harvesting a single Little Sister, otherwise you are locked out of that ending. Gameplay it doesn't really matter if you don't harvest, because you'll get special rewards every now and then. You won't be gimped for being a white knight.

Edit: anything for the original Mercenaries (Xbox)? I picked it up again and started from scratch. Previously I stopped right after arresting/killing the second ace. I'm mostly curious on what weapons to use, aside from my trusty RPG launcher.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 4, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Omega Hans posted:

Any tips for Icewind Dale 2?

I don't remember what they call the special races (Drow, Aasimar, Svirfignblin or whatever), but don't pick several of them. I had 3 of them in my party and I think it hurt me in the long run.

A druid and a fighter/thief served me well in both IWD games. The druid has awesome area of effect spells + summons and the fighter/thief is a great scout. I usually had them working together to lure enemies towards my group and weaken them before the real combat begins.

There's a bug with one of the bard's feats which you can exploit to make any fight easier. I don't remember the name, but the feat makes the bard's songs last a turn longer I believe. Now if you pause the game you can select the healing song over and over and it will instantly take effect.

A combination of a cleric and monk might sound awesome on paper, but trust me... it isn't while playing.

There is a mystical forest in the game in which it hard to orientate. Either grab pen and paper and create a map or look up one online. Don't waste time just wandering around because you WILL get lost.

Pick up the Sword of Wrathraven :ssh:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 9, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Are you aware of the Let's Play thread for The Void? CannibalK9 does a good job explaining some of the basics of the game in the early parts. It's a far cry from what the game tells you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252510&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Guild Gold is both on GamersGate and Good Old Games for about :10bux:

half e:f;b

I'm pretty sure I first heard of The Guild through praise on these forums. That's a couple years ago, but if you have archive access give it a search (JoWood probably works best as a searchterm).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 12, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I finally found the copy of Final Fantasy V Advance I've been trying to buy, and two hours in I'm loving it. Are there any sort of missables/hard-to-find things (especially Blue Magic) I should know about early? Skimming the LP here gives me a sense that a lot of areas randomly close/vanish and I'm a bit OCD about getting everything that might be missable.

Save a "complete" run for a second playthrough OR play the game with a FAQ by your side at all times. Especially if you want a 100% bestiary, because some monsters only appear when Jupiter, the Big Dipper and Alpha Centauri are aligned.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

At the start of Divine Divinity one guy gives you a room in his house, the cellar to be exact. That's a great place to drop your second teleportation pyramid, once you've recovered it. You can rest in the bed there and drop excessive loot on the floot. There is a teleporter outside of the fort, so it's easy to get to town and sell your loot to the local merchant/blacksmith.

As for spells, I mainly used the meteoroid/fireball spell since I found several pieces of equipment that were +1 to that skill. The lightning spell is useful for enemies that are protected against fire (ogres/trolls? can't remember). The freeze spell is handy for stopping the tougher enemies in their tracks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Splinter Cell

In the start of the CIA level they tell you to go left, through the air vents. There however is another entrance and it's much easier (less acrobatics required, easier to hide/dodge guards). Sneak to the main entrance and climb up the drainpipe to the left of the door. You'll see a grate you can use to enter the building.

In the Abottoir level, save your wall mines until the end. Edit: every shocker and airfoil round will be helpful at the end too.

Generally, you shouldn't just hide bodies in the shadows. Make sure they're in corners and siderooms, places guards could never stumble upon them. Even if you KO/kill everybody you can still trigger an alarm later if you hide the bodies carelessly.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 29, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Artix74 posted:

Okay, that's some pretty awesome stuff but, I'm looking at it and it's saying "Do this if you've got the DVD or 4CD version but not the 2CD version." (specifically, it's the official patch) Which one is the GOG one? I assume it's the pre-patched one, but I'd like to be sure.

The UI mod that you install after the widescreen mod recognized it as the 4CD version.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

GTA: San Andreas

RagnarokAngel posted:

And initially the flight controls will seem worse than they are. Your flight skill goes up a huge amount when you complete the flying classes. Why Rockstar felt making you drive with awful controls to make you learn how to drive with decent controls eludes me but just keep at it, once you get your pilot license the pilot controls tighten immensely.

Yes, it helps a lot if you do some flying before you buy the airport. You are not allowed entry to the airports without a pilot license, but you can hop the fence near the entrance to gain access to an airplane that way. The easiest way to hop the fence is to hijack one of these trucks designed to transport cars/bikes around, since you can use them as makeshift ramp. One caveat: you can't fly over areas that you've yet to gain access too in the story (you'll be shot down by AA missiles), so it's best to wait until you've left the first city before you grind your flight skill.

Also, if you are playing the PC version: turning the frame limiter off in graphic options will make diving and proper swimming impossible. Some people also say it makes the driving school challenges harder (I can't confirm if this is actually the case or if it's a placebo effect).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Bully: Scholarship Edition

This game is great with a Xbox 360 controller. This is rather obvious considering it's console roots, but I'd still like to point it out.

Once you've completed a class, you no longer have to attend and you won't be chased for truancy. It's worthwhile to be a good student first, so you can focus on the missions later on without being hassled.

If English isn't your first language, just use a FAQ or anagram generator for English class. It will just be frustrating otherwise.

Your reward for completing Geology classes is that the map will point out the collectibles. No need to use a FAQ for those!

Shop class is pretty trial and error and you will mess up the rotations. A lot.

Edit: the only thing you can miss out on in the game is "The Big Prank" mission during Halloween. For everything else, you always have a second shot.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 15, 2011

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

KotOR:

Unless you are a sucker for stealth, don't bother with the Scoundrel class. Going into stealth requires you (temporarily) seperating from the other two party members, which I always found more trouble (no combat support when the fighting starts) than it's worth (pulling off a sneak attack).

Instead of levelling up your character as a soldier/scout/scoundrel, you can save some of those level-ups until you become a jedi. It's a bit of a balancing act; you make the early game a bit harder but you'll have more force powers as a jedi.

You won't be returning to the first planet once you leave. The point of no return is obvious though.

Canderous might come across as a guy who is great with a blaster rifle, but he's far better at wielding melee weapons. In general, projectile weapons are weaker than melee/lightsabers.

On Dantooine you'll be asked to sort out some trouble with a jedi padawan. Said padawan is a possible party member. You might want to avoid, you know... killing her.

When you've got multiple planets you can travel towards, don't pick Manaan first (the water planet). It has some several moments that just drag on, so save it until you are a bit more invested in the game.

Save Korriban for last. Several reasons for that, none of which I'll go into to avoid spoilers. Just trust me on this.

There's a button that'll stop you from targetting enemies and allows you to move freely and escape combat. You can play the game without ever using this tidbit of information... until the last section of the game.

Which ending you'll get is decided by a choice you make near the end. Your alignment during the game does not have much influence on the story of the game (if at all).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

[...] or will their individual stories/quests still progress if I JUST talk to them while in my base?

Yes for the most part. Their personal story arcs usually end with a sidequest. To trigger the sidequest they need you be in your party while exploring a planet (any of the four will do) and a NPC will walk up to your party and start talking to them. A couple of notes though:
-Carth's sidequest takes place on Korriban. If you advance the main quest on that planet to a certain extent, without having started Carth's sidequest then you'll miss out on it. That is one of several reasons to save Korriban for later in the game.
- Bastila's sidequest is on Tatooine. She'll probably be in your party anyway, so it's not hard to miss out on this sidequest.
- Mission's sidequest takes place on Tatooine too. Most people miss out on it because they never put her in their party after the first planet.
- Zaalbar and Jolee don't really have sidequests, but they do have extra dialogue if you take them with you on certain planets. Zaalbar on Kashyyk and Jolee on Manaan. I think Zaalbar pretty much forces himself in your party on that planet. Jolee knows some people on Manaan that are involved with a certain quest in the hub area. Outside of that quest, you don't need him to be with you though.

I second pee air's suggested order of planets, although you might want to visit Tatooine first just to recruit someone there. You don't have to leave the hub area for that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 26, 2011

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Vita posted:

I just got Game Dev Story, how do I get good high-stat employees?

There is a separate GDS thread, which has pretty good advice:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3357514

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

FF III

Not long after obtaining the Scholar job there is a dungeon where they really want you to use a Scholar for the boss (since it keeps changing it's elemental weakness). However, don't make the mistake of turning your Black Mage into a Scholar. Have either both of them represented or just the Black Mage.

And that's pretty much the only thing I remember from that game... besides Dark Knights being awesome.
Edit: The Thief "Steal" command gives you common items 99% of the time. The exception is Odin, from which you can steal the Gungnir. You need a high level Thief to actually succeed in stealing it from him and I don't know why you'd want to level someone as a Thief that much.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 24, 2011

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Terranigma

For my first piece of advice I'm gonna steal someone else's words, since it's ages ago that I played the game too.
"Since once a ring is used, its magirock is returned to your inventory, there's no reason to worry about missing a few, even if you did ever need to use magic."
So basically: don't worry about collecting all the magirocks in the game AND there is no reason to never use rings.

There's one boss in the game that gives almost everybody trouble: Bloody Mary (chances are that you've not forgotten that name).
The solution to that is simple: grind your character to a higher level and your melee attacks will no longer do 1 damage/hit. It's very off-putting since it's the only part of the game where you really need to grind, but it'll work.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Erdos posted:

I was always interested in playing Neverwinter Nights and I was bored so I bought the diamond edition off gog. There wasn't anything on the wiki, so any tips?

Skip the original campaign, because it's boring. Play the Shadows of Undrentide campaign and then Hordes of the Underdark. You can use a single character for both, which I really recommend. I don't know about the rest of the content in the Diamond Edition, but I believe those are standalone campaigns.

Should you import your character into HotU after finishing SoU, you'll have all your gear stolen in the very beginning of the HotU campaign. Near the end of the first act you'll find a chest which contains your stolen possessions. This is one of the few chests in NWN which has items spanning multiple pages. So don't be a fool like me and assume you only get a fraction of your gear back and move on... loot the entire chest!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 7, 2011

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Pierzak posted:

W.S.I.K.B.I.P. Aquaria?

e;f,b on some of these

- You can use the number keys to instantly change forms, instead of using songs. Some would argue that it takes away some of the charm of the game, but... screw them.
- One of the Steam achievements is for learning all the recipes. It's a timesink and if you even remotely think you might go for it: don't use a food item if you are certain you can get more of it. Some of them are hard to obtain, I think some of them are even limited affairs so you could potentially screw yourself over.
- The game uses a made-up alphabet at times. You can gradually decipher it yourself (hint: start with the main menu) or just look up an image that has the Roman equivalent of each character. I suggest doing either of the two, since it adds to the game.
- There's a button to let your character spin, you can use this to shake off creatures that keep sticking to you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

It's a long level but it was designed to stretch your legs and test your mettle after coming out of the long tutorial. They made a smart move by making the entirety of the tutorial and Liberty Island the demo. I think they even released Battery Park in its entirety as a second demo. They made certain in 2000 that everyone knew what they were getting into and it didn't stop it from being Game of the Year.

Well, it wasn't so much a second demo but more of an expansion for the demo. Also, it contained the entire Hell's Kitchen section! It ended when you blew up the generators in that warehouse and exited the place with the black helicopter. Several hours of gameplay.

I played the poo poo out of that demo, so I'm always a bit surprised at all the backlash the first section gets. Maybe it's because I always picked the crossbow with tranq darts in the beginning and had fun using hit-and-run tactics.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

unleash the unicorn posted:

Icewind Dale 2? Hit me

Don't go wild with the subraces during character creation. They require more XP for levelling up and picking several of them will weaken your party as a whole.

Cleric+monk sounds like an awesome combination on paper, but in my experience you'll be just half-assing both classes.

Area of effect spells are pretty awesome at damaging and debilitating enemies before starting melee combat (especially if you have a rogue able to scout ahead and lure mobs towards your party). They're the main reason why I like druids in both IWD games.

There's a forest maze section. Either grab some some pen and paper and map it out OR look up a walkthrough. Trial and error just won't work.

You don't have to fight the boss that you can spawn in the jungle section.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Any advice for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? The wiki didn't have a lot and I'm looking to kick some butt on hardcore mode, but it is my butt that is being kicked. If I'm fighting more than one enemy and there isn't fire nearby to kick them in, I just die.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1665953085855938775

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Adding to that:
  • There are a number of things tied to achievements you can miss. If you're into achievements it best to save them for a second playthrough, since there is an achievement for finishing the game with the commentary track.
  • You can kick things. It's probably the least used way of interacting but it does come into play a couple of times.
  • You are never required to manually switch between characters. Don't feel forced to go back and forth.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 2, 2012

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I can't tell if the above is a serious post or an elaborate joke.

Either way, it's amazing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

So I just beat Hitman: Blood Money and now I'm going back to play the original, Hitman: Codename 47. Is there anything important to know or expect? I understand that Blood Money is considered the best in the series, so I'm expecting a drop off in quality.

Beyond what al-azad said, Codename 47 also requires some work to get running on modern systems. It's one of those games that can't handle modern processors and runs at 500% speed without a workaround. And I doubt it's really worth the effort fixing that. I love the Hitman series, but the second game (Silent Assassin) was such a huge improvement that it made the first game pretty much obsolete.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

There's also the thing where Canderous starts out with a big ol' blaster when he is much better using melee weapons.

Other KotOR 1 stuff:
- There's no way to return to the starting planet once you leave it.
- On Dantooine there is a quest in which you'll meet a possible party member. I say "possible", because you can end up having to kill said person if you pick the wrong dialogue options.
- After several hours the game will open up and you can freely travel between 4 different planets. Generally the order I'd play through them is like this: Tatooine - pick up the party member in the droid shop and then leave, Kashyyyk, Tatooine, Manaan and finally Korriban.
- Jedis are by far the strongest party members while droids suffer quite a bit from the fact that Force Heal doesn't affect them.
- There's a button to cancel/escape combat. You can go through most of the game without ever having to use it. However, you definitely need to know about it for the last section of the game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wait, what? Could someone explain this?

Maybe it's like Deus Ex's "Realistic" difficulty setting where it takes less damage to take someone down but you take more damage as well? I don't know, I haven't played the game but that's how I interpretted that post.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

Carmageddon is free for iOS now. What do I need to know?

There are 3 ways to win a race:
- Race.
- Waste all your opponents (which also unlocks their cars).
- Kill all pedestrians on a map.

Don't even attempt the last method without the blue car with the permanent electro bastard ray. One of the power-ups shows all the pedestrians on the map, so collect as much of them until you've found that one. And, remove the upgrades from your car that determine how much damage you do, because your opponents still like to crash into you while you're hunting pedestrians. They'll waste themselves with their kamikaze antics otherwise.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

You get new cars from your opponents by destroying them but with some random chance, not all and only when you meet the rank requirements for that particular car. All cars(even ones you don't get normally) are unlocked after completing every race.

This is something they changed for the iOS version. Wasting your opponent guarantees that you get their car, at least on the default difficulty.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

From what I remember, the only big thing you can miss out on in Bully is the Halloween mission. You have to do it before the night ends, because there is no way to retry it. The game is otherwise pretty smart about things like that. For example, there are some seasonal decorations you can smash up. If you missed any, you can find them stored in a warehouse later on.

Edit: The detention mission is also different depending on the season. Normally you are moving grass, but in winter you are shoveling snow. Not a big deal really.
Edit 2: One important thing you need to know before playing Bully: your reward for completing Geography classes is that collectibles will be marked on the map. So no need to bother with guides for those!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 5, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Twitch posted:

I just bought the Fallout 3 Ultimate Edition, is there a way to turn off specific DLCs like in Skyrim/New Vegas, and if so, are there any I should skip or leave off until specific parts of the game?

Running the game will first take you to the launcher. There you can select Data Files to enable and disable DLC/mods. Note that if you have the Steam version you'll have to tick them first, the DLC won't be enabled automatically.

Once the DLC is enabled it will add a quest to your log which will show you on the map where the DLC starts (except Broken Steel, because the quest parts take place after the ending of the game).
Point Lookout's starting point is so obvious that it's easy to avoid and you can travel back at any time.
You can stumble into the start of Operation Anchorage, but you can back away before the point of no return.
Ditto for The Pitt. The quest giver will also blatantly tell you that you won't be coming back for a bit.
Mothership Zeta might be hard to avoid without the following piece of information: don't get to close to the crashed UFO.

Like mentioned before, the enemies will scale with your level so you can just play them in any order and whenever you like. I just put 100 hours into the game and I just did the DLC whenever I felt like it. I recommend doing them before you hit the level cap though, the DLC feels a lot more rewarding if you also earn XP (this does not apply to Broken Steel naturally, since the quests part of the DLC is post-game).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 16, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Hitman: Absolution

I think the first mission does a good job explaining all the gameplay options you have. Don't be afraid to play through it more than once.

- Guards are not psychic like in the early Hitman games. They'll alert nearby guards quickly, but it'll take time for them to radio others.
- If guards find a body they won't go back to their regular routine. If they find a pool of blood however (from a fatal gunshot or a messy melee kill, but having hid the body) they will be cautious, but only temporary.
- When reloading/reverting to a Useable Checkpoint guards will often be reset (even if you killed them before) and previous Challenge progress will be ignored.
- Meleeing someone while on stairs will results in you KOing them without a QTE prompt but with the noise that punching someone normally does.
- Radios are really effective at luring guard after guard somewhere and then taking them out. Keep in mind that you might instantly lure another guard if you don't let the previous guard turn the radio off.
- You can use multiple throwables or a single throwable multiple times to lure a guard far away from others.
- Turn of Instincts Hints in the options. They are usually pretty redundant and just get in the way.
- Instead of blowing through the story I recommend playing a level multiple times before moving on. Just improvise the first two times and then try a very stealthy or super aggressive approach. Or try your hand at some of the challenges. I think that makes the game much more fulfilling.
- All the weapons in the safehouse can only be used in Contracts mode. This also applies to the DLC/pre-order guns and costumes.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 7, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'd like some general tips for Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (and just Dark Athena, I've played Escape From Butcher Bay before).

Also, what's a good place to store loot early on in Fallout: New Vegas? I've yet to start playing it, but I suspect the Megaton apartment in Fallout 3 spoiled me in that aspect.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, that's a solid nugget of game wisdom. It's the kind of thing you'd suspect a clever modder came up with it. I definitely will be making use of that.

...and Fallout 3 cured me of my pack rat tendencies, because taking both the "find more caps" and "find more ammo" perks made loot really uninteresting outside of unique weapons/apparel.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Fallout 3

Gynovore posted:

If you have the DLC, Operation Anchorage rewards you with a suit of power armor that totally breaks the game.

It also breaks the You Gotta Shoot Them In The Head quest when you pick it up. So do that quest first or avoid talking to Mister Crowley in the Underworld until after the DLC.

Operation Anchorage will also give you the Chinese Stealth Suit, which is armour with a permanent mini-Stealth Boy. It does an even better job at breaking the game because of the sneak attacks.

The best hunting rifle you can find is probably Lincoln's Repeater, which can be found in the Museum of History. It's in the middle of DC, but if you're doing the Galaxy News Radio quest you are in the neighborhood anyway.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

I'm replaying Psychonauts on my 360; before I only got up to Milkman Conspiracy on my PC. What do I need to know?

Use Clairvoyance on everything all the time.
Once you get Mr. Pokeylope, take a break from the story and show him off to everybody (this is late in the game).
If you are playing a version with achievements, note that some of them (the ones involving campers) are time dependent. Consider using a guide.

Colon V posted:

If you're going to collect all the figments, use a guide.

Seriously.

Also, make sure you've finished Milla's stage before you decide if you want to collect all the figments. The figments there are by far the trickiest to collect.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 18, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

What should I know before playing Alone In The Dark (2008) that is not related to the quality of the game? I'm going to play the PC version which apparently is like the 360/PS3 versions, but different from the PS2/Wii releases.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Brutal Legend
Adding to what's already on the wiki:
- Even if you are a thorough explorer, you will miss some of the collectibles. Instead of grabbing a guide, just finish the game. You can continue exploring after the ending AND you will unlock a secondary weapon for your Deuce which will guide you to the collectibles you haven't grabbed yet. This upgrade doesn't have infinite range, but if you stick to the roads you'll eventually find everything.
- While driving around you will frequently encounter your troops fighting with enemy patrols. If you help them out you'll get some tribute as a reward.
- The PC version has a bug (as of october 2013) with the landmark viewers. After using one, most of the HUD elements will no longer show up. You'll need to save+quit and reload your game to fix it. It's a not a game-breaking bug, but it's annoying.
- If you're stuck in the geometry, try (re-)summoning the Deuce. Usually you'll be free again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Both the Before I Play entries on Alpha Protocol and Assassin's Creed are pretty solid. There's just two nuggets of information I would emphasize:
Alpha Protocol - The boss battle in Moscow can be tough. Before doing it, take a quick visit to Taipei and meet with Steven Heck. Once you know him, you can buy a piece of intel that will make the aforementioned boss battle easier.
Assassin's Creed - It's a very repetitive game in both missions and NPC dialogue. Play it in short bursts and don't bother with the collectibles.