Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Tips for Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit?

Last racing game I played was Burnout: Paradise, wondering how different this game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

RyanManRules posted:

I may not have looked hard enough. But did anyone do one for Dragon Age Origins?

Hold Tab and look around in every room/space you go through. Makes it very easy to find loot and extra stuff. Not sure how to do it on 360 though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Re: Saints Row 2

For large vehicles, use the mechanic south of your main hideout. It's called Semi Broken. I drove around forever trying to find that goddamn big mechanic shop.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Since everybody is all excited about the second one, I decided to give the first one a go. Any tips for The Witcher, particularly about how to level up Geralt and anything that I should definitely be doing? I just finished Kaer Morhen.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Centipeed posted:

Did you check the wiki?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher_1

I clicked the link at the bottom of the OP, it was broken, thanks for this link though. :)

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Alter Ego posted:

If you haven't gotten it, get the DLC for the Parachute Thrusters. Trust me.

Absolutely this. If you're looking for armor parts, take a drive on that highway that goes all the way around the big island. If you're playing PC, I highly recommend getting a black market mod that reduces the prices of the weapons and vehicles.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I'm about to start Ghost Recon. Any tips?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Alpha protocol belongs in any list of games worth playing. Any tips for red faction guerilla?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Just picked up free space 2 off of gog, any tips?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Thanks for the tips, really looking forward to playing a good space sim. :)

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Picked up Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga from the sale on Steam. Any tips?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

What is the best way to learn to play Europa Universalis III?

I'm familiar with Civilizations and Total Wars.

Trial and error. Your first time you'll probably drive a superpower into abject poverty. My first game was as France, back when it was stupidly overpowered and I kept all of my hundred regiments in Paris and wondered why my manpower was eternally zero. Try it out, ask questions in the Paradox thread, try again. Before long, you'll be invading Sweden as the Mughal Empire.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
New Vegas is different in that Speech/Barter are way more useful and you only get a perk every other level so choose wisely.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Oh boy new games.

Any tips for Wings of Prey, King Arthur, Bully, Recettear, DoW 2, or Serious Sam HD?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Enigma posted:

Any tips for Magicka? Without any DLC, if that makes a difference.

Keep moving.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Derek Dominoe posted:

I finally bought Fallout 3. I've done a pretty good job of avoiding all spoilers since I knew I would get around to it. One quick question--I know there's something you can do/a place you can go that ends up locking you out of a significant portion of the main quest (though you can still finish). Unless it's a major spoiler, how do I avoid doing this on my first run-through. (Otherwise, I plan on exploring as much as I can before going through the main story.)

If I remember right, stay away from the northwest corner of the map until the game sends you up there. I'm pretty sure going up there will trigger what you're talking about but its been forever so you might want to confirm that.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

DarkDude98 posted:

I picked up Guild Wars Trilogy + Eye of the north on steam the other day. Any tips or information I need to know on that? I imagine there's a lot, not too bothered about builds and things but knowing if any class is good for a person new to game etc. would be great.

Cheers.

Where you start your character makes a difference in how fast you reach level twenty. Prophecies is slowest, Nightfall is medium, Factions is fastest. You'll reach level 20 regardless so it's up to you. Assassins and Ritualists are Factions-exclusive, Dervishes and Paragons are Nightfall-exclusive.

E: Don't do a mesmer your first time.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 10, 2011

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Any tips for Mass Effect 2, specifically for someone who is absolute poo poo at shooting? (Yes, I've checked the wiki.) I only survived Fallout 3 via VATS abuse, Alpha Protocol would have been horrible without lining up insta-kill crits from behind cover, and I'm currently trying to work my way through Borderlands and Bulletstorm on easy. I am not very good at shooting things, having grown up solely on strategy, RPG, and platforming sort of games.

I'm thinking of being Biotic or one of the biotic hybrids so I can force push things and give no fucks and leave the shooting to my party members.

Infiltrator has a special ability that is a cloak so that you can cloak, come out of cover, line up your shot and take it. The class skill also slows down time when you zoom in so all in all on casual, you have plenty of time to take the shot. Soldier also has an ability called Adrenaline Rush which slows down time. Using the Mattock (which is available from the DLC Firepower Pack, which I highly recommend), you can slow down time almost to a crawl and just start blowing apart enemies before they even have time to react.

Alternatively you can try Vanguard which involves using yourself as a missile and charging into enemies and then while they are staggered, blasting them several times with a shotgun and beating them up. Not a lot of accuracy required. Or you can try any of the non-combat classes which depend on powers that usually home in on their targets.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Keep the militarists happy or else you might end up with a coup on your hands. That was how my first game ended.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm playing Dragon Knight Saga, and looking at the wiki and reading FAQs, I understand that the game starts out very difficult, and then you reach a point where the difficulty drops off and it becomes extremely easy. I'm currently slogging through the hard part in the beginning and I'm not having a terribly fun time of it. What's the ideal build to get me through this early part of the game as easily as possible?

I'm playing as a sword and shield warrior, and I haven't unlocked Life Leech yet. Maybe things get better after that? Maybe I just need to buy more potions.

I played as an archer type and the game got substantially less difficult once I learned Explosive Arrows. The beginning is annoying but once you get to the Sentinel Island, it gets better and also it was around there that it started to get less difficult for me.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Will I be missing out on anything if I just jump straight to Saints Row 2 without having played the first one?

Saints Row 2 is one of my favorite games of all time with hundreds of hours invested. Never touched Saints Row 1. You can piece together most of the plot from one anyway and from what I've heard, SR2 does every single thing better than SR1.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I got the Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World thing, any tips?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Dr Snofeld posted:

Fable 3? The wiki only tells you when the point of no return is. Also Tropico 3 if there's anything the wiki hasn't covered.

The most important thing is to make sure that your transportation works. If builders can't get to sites, or teamsters to docks, your island will have major problems growing.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Jolo posted:

Also, I'm playing on easy cause I'm a giant rts wuss who is terrible at them. I like them, but I'm really bad at them.

Same here, I've played RTSs for most of my life and they were the first games I played as a little protonerd. Still terrible at them. Don't know what it is, I think its because I like to take things slow and deliberately and most RTSs expect you to move faster than I'd like to.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
The cloak can be kind of a pain to use when you only get 3 seconds out of a cell but once you get 5 or 7 out of it, its stupidly effective. A full charge will let you sneak through even the biggest rooms and even just one cell can get you across that one gap in cover that seems to always be watched.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, yes it is. Especially around level 10 or so. I still loved the game but it became obvious relatively quickly that I had gotten in over my head with the wrong character build the second that roving bandits near the starting city started kicking my rear end and there minotaurs roaming the countryside and will-o-the-wisp in every tomb I went in.

What IS the loving deal with will-o-the-wisps anyway? How the gently caress do you beat those things?

I think you missed one crucial word in his statement. Also I always just used magic on those things.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I've had that situation turn out a few different ways so far. First time I hosed around at the office for a long time, they were DOA. Second time I left the office quick then waltzed into the room like an idiot as they shouted at me not to, luckily I was able to use the keypad in time and save the day. Third time I just went in the duct, easy as could be.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

And I hope there's no separate stealth pistol like in DX1; I'm putting all my mods into the 10mm one and wouldn't want to learn that there's an equivalent-but-better weapon. Also, is the sniper rifle (non-silenced, from the gas station sniper) any good?

There is no equivalent-but-better, the game doesn't really penalize you for upgrading a weapon early, if you know what you want to use a lot, you can upgrade that weapon safely as soon as you get it. I guess heavy weapons is different as you get the heavy rifle first, then the laser later and finally the plasma. Stuff like the combat rifle, shotgun and pistol is safe though.

And no idea about the sniper, I've sold it each time, I've done lethal and non-lethal runs so far, I'll save the sniper for my excessively lethal "solve every problem with violence" run.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I was gifted Dungeons of Dredmor, played through the tutorial then was asked to look at poo poo in Minecraft. Anything I should know? I've never really played roguelikes.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

Do you want help with DoD or Minecraft?

DoD

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Nekrews posted:

Soooooooo.....I just went out and bought Battlefield 3, primarily for the multiplayer.

Haven't played Battlefield since high school, and mostly played COD MW1/2/BLOPS. Is there anything superimportant I should know when jumping from cod to bf online?

Every time you see something that even remotely resembles an enemy, press the spot button. It's a huge help in a hectic smoky firefight to have a big triangle over your enemy's head. You'll even get some points if somebody kills an enemy that you spotted.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Anything beyond this stuff for Orcs Must Die?

I like to put tar and clockwork maces in any space that is that width. Two in quick succession will kill just about anything, including ogres if you freeze them while they in are in the hit zone.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
You're going to run into situations where you need to take down a pair of guards stealthily very often. It's pretty much a mandatory aug if you are going for a stealthy/nonlethal run.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Mount and Blade is all about emergent story. You do whatever the hell you want and deal with the consequences of it from there. My one tip would be to avoid pissing off any of the factions early in the game because nothing sucks more than having to run away from 100+ armies all the time without a 100+ army of your own. Faction choice is also pretty important because it will dictate which of your troops will form the bulk of your army and be most readily available to you. I prefer Khergits because I can have a giant mounted horde ala Genghis Khan but they are weaker in sieges due to lack of horses. Generally, Nords have the best infantry, Vaegirs the best archers, Swadians the best cavalry, Rhodoks the best crossbowmen, and Sarranids are kind of a jack of all trades with good knights, archers and infantry. You can recruit forces from any faction but if you are using them against an enemy of their own faction, they are far more likely to desert. I learned this the hard way when half of my army split on me in the middle of an important siege because they were Nord Huscarls and I was attacked a Nord town.
When it is explained to you, the combat can seem confusing but it is really intuitive in practice. Basically, speed is the most important thing. Even on foot, this is true. The speed that your weapon is going relative to the target grants a speed bonus or malus. If you are galloping at high speed into a stationary enemy, your weapon will do massive damage and likely kill them immediately. But if your weapon glances off them at a strange angle, you won't do that much damage. This goes for you too. Galloping at high speed directly into a waiting spear point or axe will, depending on armor and difficulty, kill or injure you badly. Horse archery can be difficult to master but you will be a lord of death if you can figure it out. And also try not to gallop into anything at a steep angle because it increases the chances that your horse will rear up, which immobilizes you for a few seconds that could result in somebody putting a lance in your rear end.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I had a lot of fun with Fire & Sword but only because I was rampantly cheating. It regresses from Warband in a number of ways. And the musket combat sucks because unless you are playing on easy and willing to Ctrl-H a lot, you're going to get blown off your horse by a musket a lot, which is really annoying. In Warband you get the poo poo kicked out of you pretty much only if you are stuck in a really bad battle or you're not paying attention. But in F&S even mopping up rebels and patrols can get you killed. They took out a number of features like the forming your own kingdom stuff. There is a bit of a novelty aspect to it but Warband is going to be the one that you will play consistently for a long time.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Crusader Kings 2.

Lay it on me.

For a starting country, I would suggest the County of Dublin. You start out with no vassals, you are heir to the County of Leinster under yours, and it is a good powerbase that can easily lead to forming the entire Kingdom of Ireland. It's far removed from any real threat so its a good place to learn. There's a lot to learn, and I suggest you visit this thread for specific questions. If you have played EU3 or another Paradox game, you should find the UI familiar. Otherwise take some time to familiarize yourself with each menu in the upper right. There's a good amount of tooltips that explain what each value and option mean.

The game has a goal. Your primary goal is to promote and preserve your dynasty. If you do not have an heir of your dynasty, the game is over. The game will warn you if this is the case so don't freak out about it. The main thing to look out for on that count is to make sure that if you have a female ruler, she is married matrilineally to somebody. Matrilineal marriages make children of the mother's dynasty. Don't marry a male ruler matrilineally and don't marry a female ruler regularly.

Your power comes from income and levies. Income comes from vassal taxes (which can be set in the Laws tab) and your own holdings. Levies come from vassal levies (also set in the Laws tab) and your own holdings. Each holding, whether yours or a vassal's, contributes income and levies based on what buildings it has in it. When on a province screen, click a holding to see what buildings are available. I highly recommend investing extra money into income and then troop buildings in your castles, unless you need to keep a warchest to hire mercenaries. Your laws create a maximum tax/levy level, a percentage of which is given to you based on your vassal's opinion of you. -100 means you get nothing, 100 means you get everything, 0 means you get half.

Succession laws are important as well. Lots of realms start with Gavelkind, which split up all of your realms among your sons. Primogeniture gives everything to the first-born son. Seniority gives everything to the oldest member of the dynasty. Elective allows the vassals to elect a new King. For the sake of your dynasty's staying power, Primogeniture is the simplest for a new player. The others can be used effectively but I wouldn't recommend them for a new player. You can change succession laws in the Laws tab.

Alliances are procured by marrying yourself or a close relative to a close relative of another ruler. People outside your realm who are of your dynasty are automatically your allies.

Everything else you can probably learn on your own. If you have any questions (you will), go the thread I linked or try out #paradox on synirc.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I got the achievement despite blowing up a guy when EMPing the mech. I still managed to save Malik.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Don't go for either achievement on your first run. Do whatever the hell you want. It's how the game is meant to be played.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Vanguards are awesome in Mass Effect 3, even moreso than ME2. And you can use any weapons you want. I used a Disciple Shotgun, a Saber assault rifle/sniper rifle, and a lightweight Tempest. Kept my skill recharge speed really high so I was charging and novaing like a madman. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
You don't need an overhaul mod. People who say so say it because they can't imagine going back to vanilla even though they played it that way for hours and hours. Don't mod anything except the UI out of the gate. Add other mods as you identify things you'd like to work differently. Oblivion is very much your game to shape as you see fit and if you jam a billion mods in it right away, you're playing somebody else's version of it, which isn't the right way. Your way is.