Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Luminaflare posted:

I've beaten Titanfall 2. What two levels are you referring to?

Can't speak for them but for me it's easily the fake house factory and the time trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Overall it isn't that much more difficult than vanilla, but the starting areas (Forest of Fallen Giants and Heide's Tower/No-Man's Wharf) were all made way harder for basically no reason at all, especially since 2 already has the unfriendliest beginning hours of the series.

Another very important tip: level up your Adaptability to 20. This will in turn increase your Agility to around 100, making your rolling i-frames longer and speeding up some of your animations. Some people can get on fine without it, but I feel like I'm wading in molasses until I do it. It might be a more glaring issue if you had played another Souls game first, I don't know.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

safe harbor posted:

My wife and I got a Switch this weekend and picked up Super Mario Odyssey. Any tips for starting out? I haven't played a Mario game since Mario 64 and this game feels pretty similar except for the hat mechanic which I haven't quite figured out any advance moves yet.

You aren't meant to get all the moons in a kingdom the first time through. In fact, it's impossible to get all the moons in a kingdom the first time through. So just have a chill time and follow the intended path and maybe go out of your way for a moon or three if it looks like it will be an interesting one to get. As soon as you find yourself getting bored with a kingdom, go on to the next one.

You can do fine without fancy trick jumps with the hat, but long jump -> hat throw -> dive into hat -> hat throw -> dive is a combo that gets you across very long distances and makes you feel cool. It looks intimidating but it feels very natural once you get the rhythm for it. Don't sweat it if you can't do it, you won't really need it except maybe for some post-game challenges.

Every side area has one obvious moon and one hidden moon. If you aren't sure if you got both moons, Cappy will tell you when you re-enter if there's a moon left or any purple coins still there.

You can fast travel to checkpoint flags from your map.

Mario can get his nips out at any time so be prepared for that.

Shaking the controllers gives you some special moves or speeds up ones you can already do, but if you aren't playing docked you can also mash the Y button to get the same result most of the time. That's not always the case but it often is.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

Anything important or useful to know for God of War? The new one.

Atreus is really good, and his upgrades are crazy cheap. Don’t neglect him.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Any tips for Dead Cells? I'm playing on Switch if that matters. I feel like I've been playing for a good while and only just reached my first boss (in the Ramparts, iirc). I've more or less gotten the basic gameplay loop sorted, but I'm sure there's lots of stuff I'm missing.

Play the dailies. They’re pretty easy and there are some neat blueprints you only unlock by doing them.

You can bash open the door near the cell collector to leave without handing all your cells over. This is handy if you aren’t in a hurry to get any of your currently available upgrades and want to make a large deposit at the post-boss collector.

In the current build, it’s best to laser-focus on one color, because your damage output will keep up with enemy scaling better and HP upgrades quickly become useless. They’re changing the way enemy and damage scaling works but who knows when the patch will reach the Switch version.

It’s pretty much always better to fully explore and clean out a level than to try and reach speed doors in time.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

SoR Blaze posted:

Playing Metal Great Solid 4 for the first time since it came out. Anything tips? I was having some trouble with the cqc coming right after a playthrough of 3, but I think I have it figured out now. I'm going for a non-lethal run if possible, but I don't mind killing if I'm getting frustrated.

Non-lethal is pretty tough to do on a new game, especially in chapter 3. It’s doable but your ng+ tools make it a lot less frustrating. So don’t feel bad about just doing whatever you need to get through.

The first two chapters place you in the middle of skirmishes between local rebels and the bad guy PMCs, and they tell you right off the bat that you shouldn’t bother with picking sides. This is bullshit. Help out the rebels and they’ll a) give you a free pass to wander around areas they control and b) give you useful or unique items. Unless you’re trying for Big Boss ranking, it’s worth giving them a hand.

Stress is made out to be scarier than it is. Unless you’re killing everyone you see and constantly in danger in status, it’s not going to get bad enough to hurt you, except for very specific plot sequences that are out of your control.

You can take control of Mk II and wander around the airship during the briefing between each chapter. Do this to find hidden items and music. You’ll have to manually select the prologue briefing - it actually doesn’t happen in the course of a regular playthrough.

Cutscenes are LONG, especially later in the game. If you care about the story then be prepared to strap in for a while.

Usual MGS fun stuff applies: holding guards up is super effective, guards are dumb as hell and fall for the stupidest poo poo, if Snake appears to be focusing on something in a cutscene you can probably go into first person even if there’s no prompt, you get bonuses from defeating bosses nonlethally (and since they almost all have two phases you get a different bonus for each phase), just mess around and know that pretty much any absurd solution you can come up with for any given problem will almost certainly work.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Also for FFVIII, nothing is immune to the Meltdown status effect, not even the final boss or any of the bonus bosses.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

[*]Goldfish are this game's "crystal lizards", enemies that flee when they see you and drop rare loot when killed; however, unlike the other games, goldfish that are scared away return when you rest.

They will actually respawn if you just wait around a bit, no rest required.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Nier automata.

Thanks

Don’t sweat sidequests if they’re inconvenient. Fast travel and chapter select unlock eventually.

For the love of god, don’t slam pick the hard difficulty. At the very least finish the prologue on normal. There are absolutely no unlocks or achievements tied to difficulty.

Saving is manually done but is literally two button presses and can be done from pretty much anywhere. Make it a habit.

The game is generally pretty easy. If anything is giving you a hard time, you probably aren’t supposed to do it yet.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

You're right, I swore that the Bandit Blade could steal (also i recalled the wrong name). I edited the example.

The Bandit Blade does steal, but that technique is unique to it - you can’t master it and use it with other swords.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Anything for Katana 0? Other than 'use sword on man' and 'dodgeroll has iframes'.

You can sneak. The game kind of glosses over that and it’s never strictly necessary, but there are a couple instances where stealth is the preferred option.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Barudak posted:

Okami:

Every enemy, when killed by a specific technique specific to its enemy type, gives you a demon fang. The starter demons for instance are the slash brush stroke.

You actually hit them with this after they’re dead. They’ll go into a floaty slow-no death animation, and then you hit them one more time with the right brush stroke for the fang. Usually it’s power slash or blossom, but later enemies have some pretty unintuitive ones. It’s not always a technique that has to “hit” an enemy either.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything for Wonderful 101? I doubt anything gameplay wise was changed in the remaster.

Keep an eye out for circles and other geometric patterns in the environment. You can trace these shapes, or draw circles around conspicuous circular objects, to spawn collectibles or sometimes even items or new heroes.

You can encircle small exploding enemies to convert them to your cause. You'll want to do this a lot fairly early on while you're still building up your team and you want to get to 100 people as fast as possible.

When a character's face cuts in from the side of the screen, that's your opportunity for a counterattack. All you need to do is pull out their weapon and they'll do the rest. Attacking while this happens will make you miss the window.

Enemies spawn in with colored circles. Defeat them with the matching weapon and they will drop their own weapon on death. These weapons are insanely powerful and give huge combo bonuses, so it's worth going for them if you can.

Failing QTEs is almost never an actual fail state, you just have to do it again. And it's worth failing some of them because the animation for doing so is hilarious. There's one in particular that unlocks an Easter egg if you fail it several times in a row.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

I have no idea what I'm doing in Lords of Magic. Help.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Lords of Magic is a turn-based strategy game with party-based realtime combat. You assemble groups of characters and send them into combat against the enemies in the lairs and ruins that litter the world. In between doing that, you research spells and improve your capital city with buildings that improve your income and allow for more powerful troops to be created

Start by trying to take your faction's Great Temple, which will be very nearby and requires only the most basic of forces to take. Once you have it, you will get access to the full capabilities of your capital city and can focus on building up your strength.

For your first few games, pick Water. The amazons are fairly strong, easy to use and they ride war ostriches.

Do not try to fight Balkoth if you see him early on, he is a total rear end in a top hat and really difficult to defeat.

Also, read all the spell descriptions in the library. They're all written in-character and really good and atmospheric.

Thanks for this. Took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to figure out the map is always the same and my temple is always in the same spot. I keep trying to play it like HoMM.

Sometimes, I lose for no reason and it plays a cutscene of Death winning, and sometimes this happens very early in the run. What's triggering it? I have yet to even encounter anyone from Death in any of my games but somehow they keep winning.

Are the Legends of Urak any good for actually teaching anything about the game or are they just fun flavor? I found the "hidden" one by accident.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Some Mortal Shell tips please?

* Watch out for beartraps.
* Always be ready to harden. Harden when the enemy starts swinging, even if you're in the middle of an attack. Harden while parrying. Harden when you finish one guy in a group. Harden when its time to pay rent.
* Beeline for the central tower. It's pretty much directly in front of you after the tutorial area. Inside you will meet your level-up lady and be able to detect where the other shells and weapons are. The weapons are all also at the entrance to the three dungeons you need to clear.
* Thoroughly explore the tower. The first floor holds your shells and the level-up woman, the second floor has your weapons and forge, across from that is a crumbling tower with a large armored birdman thing who will grant you the ability to parry, and going outside on the second floor and jogging around the tower will lead to a set of steps near a bell that takes you up to a merchant and a cat you can pet.
* Keep in mind the difference in tar and glimpses. Tar will drop when you die, glimpses you will hold onto but are exclusive to the shell you got them with. Make sure you're in the right shell before going ham with the glimpse-giving items.
* The shell you start with is kind of lame, it's not real great at anything but farming. The best shell, I think, is the Venerable, which you will find in a kind of blasted-out area surrounded by monoliths. It has enormous health and you should unlock its ability to gain "execution stacks" ASAP which will make it incredibly powerful. It has a small pool of stamina, but considering that stamina comes back faster when hardening, it's not a big deal at all.
* Mushrooms respawn every five minutes. There's a pretty good circuit you can carve out around the central tower that will net you ~6 healing mushrooms and ~4 poison mushrooms every lap, if you need the items and have the time.
* Using an item more will raise your familiarity with it, and maxing that out will either improve its effect or unlock a secondary one. The aforementioned poison mushroom will inflict you with poison the first time you eat it, but from then on it grants poison immunity.
* There are three acids you can get almost right away, which will level up your weapon damage and be a huge help. One is in a chest at an encampment near the big burning effigy, the other two are for sale at 2500 tar each, which seems like a lot but its worth the grind.
* There is an upgrade for the starting sword right by the tower, in a cave across from the entrance. There's a big wolf-beast boss in there, but you aren't locked into a fight with him. You can just sprint in, grab the treasure behind him, and sprint out before he even goes full aggro.
* It's best to start with the fire dungeon, past the giant burning effigy and where you find the mace weapon. It's the easiest, though by no means a cakewalk.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

This is maybe kind of a strange ask, but I'm looking more for opinions than tips.

I've been on a 3D platformer kick lately, and I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game. Is the PS4 remake/reboot/reimagining/movie tie-in/whatever fine? I have seen wildly mixed reports but I don't know how much of the bad reviews are legit grievances or just mad it isn't a perfect 1:1 of the first game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Thanks, all! It's next on the list.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Cool! Does it feel better to play? Occasionally the first one feels a little...Clunky? Not smooth? I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes, it's a little rough around the edges, but not enough to make me quit. I'm having a fabulous time.

Pretty much everything about it is better but the bosses aren't as memorable on the whole.

Get every katana, you can switch them on the fly and they actually have different uses now instead of just straight damage upgrades.

Return to your motel after each boss fight to exercise your cat and sometimes unlock other stuff.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

You're gonna have a great time.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I thought Deadly Premonition had some "don't use the infinite ammo pistol unless you want the combat to takes hours and hours, here are the actually effective weapons" tips, but apparently they're not on the wiki?

Very good weapons:

Infinite wrench - Finish the Delivery Man Q sidequest, which you can start basically anytime after the prologue by visiting and searching Becky's house.
Infinite SMG - Buy and complete Spirit Map A from Keith at the Milk Barn. Be mindful that while the SMG is reliable, its damage falls off pretty bad by midgame and using it exclusively will make combat take forever.
Legendary Grecotch - Do all of Lily's sidequests at the Milk Barn. They're simple box-pushing puzzles. Then you can get the weapon from her garage when she's home. You can give it back to Keith to complete his sidequest, but wait until the very end of the game to do so, because it is without question the best weapon in the game.
Infinite magnum - Basically superfluous when you have any of the above, but it is missable (I think). When you start finding bones, DON'T talk to Forrest or his dog before you find ALL of them. When you've got them all, then after the event you can claim the weapon from the dog house in Forrest's truck.

You can get the wrench and SMG basically as soon as the town opens up.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What should I know before playing Killer7?

There are two kinds of blood, Thin and Thick. Thin is used for healing and abilities and you get some every time you damage/kill an enemy, Thick is experience points and you only get it when you kill an enemy via weakpoint.

There is a limit to how much Thick Blood you can get in each stage. The blood machine will jam and close up for the rest of the level when this happens. Speed, Waiver, and Critical are the best things to focus on first.

Once unlocked, you perform a Counter Attack by pressing X when a crack appears on the screen as an enemy attacks.

Killing a tiny flying Smile will instantly wake up all the Smiths.

Kevin is usually the best all-purpose character. He's fast, perfectly accurate from the beginning, doesn't need to reload, draws more Thin Blood than the others, learns the Slow Enemy property fairly early, can turn invisible and peace out of tough fights, and eventually can use Shine Sparkling to just kill a whole room. Plus he's the best dancer.

If you reach a seeming dead end and get a weird ascending guitar sound, there's a puzzle there to solve. If nothing else seems obvious, you might need Kaede to remove a barrier or Coyote to jump somewhere.

Most boss fights are actually gimmick puzzles. Some tricky ones:
Julia (Sunset 1): This is just a battle of who lands more shots. They trip you up by automatically setting you up with Mask in the previous cutscene, but he is the worst for it. Switch to Con and you'll win easily.
Ulmeyda (Cloudman): It's cat and mouse, and he can kill you in one hit, but he also can only take one shot to his disembodied brain/afro. He's very slow and makes a low droning noise. If you hear him nearby, wait until he's visible so you don't accidentally run right into him around a blind corner.
Ayame (Encounter 1): She can only be hit in the light. You could try to time your shots, or just use Mask and spam grenades at the streetlights.
Curtis (Encounter 2): You have to shoot him when the dove flies away. It will coo when it's about to do that. Listen for the cue and don't jump the gun. Personally, I just didn't even look at the screen until I heard it.
Greg Nightmare (Smile): Alternate shooting him on either side to build up momentum until his pants fly off. After that, it should be obvious.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 8, 2022

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Some stuff for Ghostwire: Tokyo that nobody asked for:

- Trader Nekomata have quite a few features that are never described. They are fast travel points, and their map icons will show a checkmark if you have an item they want. Also, talking to them opens up the trading menu, but each one also has their own shop through which they sell music, photo poses, clothes, and either KK Notes or Magatama for a premium.
- Don't ignore dogs and cats. If you pet a dog they will follow you around for a while and bark if there are Visitors nearby. Feeding a dog will have them track down and dig up some nearby money, and is always a huge return on investment in dog food. Most cats will give hints about nearby tanuki when you read their thoughts.
- Visitors that are preoccupied with sealing a soul cube/attacking a yokai you need to defend are vulnerable to backstabs.
- Don't sleep on talismans. The stun talisman allows you to get free backstabs in a wide area, and the exposure talisman both lowers the threshold for exposing a core as well as dealing hefty damage on its own. Throwing down a couple of those is an excellent panic button and will instantly turn a fight in your favor.
- Food is separated into normal and nether varieties rated from one to three stars. Nether food will give you some kind of bonus but heals a little less, and the number of stars determines how much the food heals. Your quick consumable is shown under your health bar and you can tap to cycle it to a different one. Make sure you have three-star food at the ready if you're anticipating a big fight.
- Once you unlock the ability to summon tengu, you activate it by zoom-aiming at the edge of a rooftop. You may have to wiggle around a little - there's a very specific range at which it works, and it won't work at all on angled rooftops.
- Perfect blocking is way more useful than it seems. The game only tells you it fully negates damage and you can upgrade it to generate ether, but it also greatly boosts the damage of your next attack and can reflect thrown projectiles back to the source.
- If you're fighting multiple weak enemies (flying sheets, umbrella guys, students eventually) you can expose multiple cores then steal them all at once. Setting up a chain like this is much safer than going for the core immediately every time.
- The bow deals extra damage when you aren't detected.
- Don't sweat timed cubes. They will respawn eventually.
- In instances where you are separated from KK, you can still do sneak attacks. This is usually not a great idea since those sections are set up for you to just sneak away and get the hell out of dodge, but there is one specific instance where this is incredibly valuable knowledge and most players I've seen don't seem to realize it. Specific spoiler: You can sneak attack the giant cat woman boss.
- There are only six hand symbols in the game, and you can usually tell after the third stroke which one it's going to be. You can interrupt the pattern at any time to go ahead and get it over with. You can also just instantly mess it up and then have KK do it, there's no penalty for doing so other than him getting a bit snappy with you.
- Get caught by the parade at least once.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm going to start up no more heroes 3. I couldn't make it through Travis strikes back, is there anything I need to know plotwise? I know bad girl is back, and friends with Travis?

Important plot stuff from TSB:
Badman (Bad Girl’s dad) and Travis worked together to battle/unlock a magic wish-granting game console to bring Bad Girl back. All three are cool now. There was an evil games CEO named John Damon Riccitiello who drove the console creator to suicide so Travis beats the poo poo out of him for crimes against Gamerkind. He now owns Santa Destroy. The developer, Dr. Juvenile, is now a ghost in the machine and has somehow granted Travis his video game powers in real life. Travis and Sylvia had kids at some point and are currently estranged. Travis became friends with Kamui from The Silver Case. Jeane the cat talks now.

I think that’s everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks! More plot than I had anticipated. I think the guy in NMH3 who befriends FU is named Damon, must be the same guy?

He is.