Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
^^^^ What is your party setup like? Usually you want to stick to the Fighter/Rogue/Mage/Priest formula with the 5th slot being some hybrid or utility character, maybe a Bard or Ranger. If you're really having trouble a second front line fighter never hurts. D&D rules can be pretty brutal at low levels as you won't have many strategic options and bad dice rolls can really hurt you. It helps in that regard to spend a little extra time and make sure you get good starting stats for your characters (18's in their most needed attributes). In combat make sure you use your turns efficiently and maintain a good position. Also I'd really suggest checking out the manual and familiarizing yourself with the battle mechanics. ToEE doesn't have much of a plot to speak of and is mainly combat focused, so it'll be a lot more rewarding experience if you at least mostly understand what the hell is going on in a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
About to start Dragon Quest 8 and its the first DQ game I've played. Any advice?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gerblyn posted:

Anyone have any tips for Civilization 5?

Put it down and pick up 4. :colbert:

Nah just kidding. Kinda. Anyways the biggest change as you may know is units are limited to 1 per tile. This fucks up the AI a lot for whatever reason so if you play on the medium difficulties all you really need to do is amass an army and go stomp their faces. Also there will be this new mechanic called Happiness. Its pretty hard in the early game to keep your population happy, but really you can just ignore it for the most part. Its suppose to limit how fast you can expand or something, but as you'll see the AI expands at a ridiculous pace, so they apparently just ignore it too. In that same vein, over expanding is not always bad in this game as opposed to like 4, and sometimes "city spamming" is a decent strategy. I've only played the original release unpatched version, and I heard they added some changes for the better so it may not be that way anymore.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So I got Drakensang: The River of Time and besides the usual tips, I was wondering if its even worth playing? The beginning seems painfully generic with some pretty bad voice acting. I've heard the combat is what makes it, but I'm skeptical.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Quarex posted:

:words:

I'll be honest I was quite impressed with the graphics. Like you said, a nice use of bloom, and it runs flawlessly on my rig. The animations though seem a little over the top. I chose a mage type character and when he casts the starting fire spell his body bends in half at a 90 degree angle and the fire appear like a foot above his hands. Its kinda strange, but not a deal breaker. One thing I do like about them though is when you talk to NPCs you get to see their whole bodies animate, and it looks quite a bit better than DA:O's talking heads.

About the combat, this game was recommended to me as someone who thought DA:O's combat was lackluster. Drakensang seems to have a more robust character progression system and a really great interface. So its got that going for it. That being said, how the hell do I remove something from the toolbar?

The comparison to DA:O is pretty unavoidable with a game like this, but I think is some ways it has an edge. I'll continue despite the VA, any general gameplay tips I should know?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Oh! Another one. Going waaaaay back. Ultima VII. I bought the complete Ultima collection (I say complete, it was apparently made before IX came out) at a car boot sale for £2 several years ago, because for that price I'd be daft not to, but never played them. A feature in PC Gamer has made me want to give it a go, VII being apparently the best one. Apart from using the source port (Exult, I think?) is there anything I need to know?

Yea, Exult is excellent and you should familiarize yourself with all its features because it will vastly improve your playing experience. A few of the most helpful things to note are that by pressing F2 you can pull up the cheat menu. In there you can enable Hackmover, which allows you to move anything in the game regardless of weight restrictions. You can abuse this of course, but its also just generally helpful for getting around the somewhat cumbersome inventory system. Also if you hit F3 you can bring up a map which will teleport you to wherever you click. This is extremely useful as a time saver, but its generally not wise to teleport somewhere without knowing whats there first. Also knowing the key bindings will save you a lot of time and frustration, and you can view them at any time in game. Concerning the game itself, if you wanna progress with the storyline, make sure you take note of anything anyone says that might in anyway be important. Also it's nice to have a map handy for quick reference as the in game map doesn't have any location markers. Really, there are tons of little secrets in U7 that would pretty much break the game wide open if you knew them beforehand. The fun part is figuring them out for yourself.

You may also be interested in checking out this hilarious and informative Let's Play: http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/Update%201/

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its worth noting that IWD1 uses the AD&D rule set where as IWD2 uses 3rd edition. If you're not familiar with them it helps to look up a guide because there are some pretty big changes between the two. For instance while MockingQuantum is right that Bards aren't great in IWD1, they are actually pretty good in IWD2 because of the buffs from the 3rd edition rule set.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I now have Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4. I've never played a Silent Hill game except for a little bit of 2 that I don't even remember. They're all PC versions and I'm pretty sure I know how to do all the patching and everything but tips are appreciated. Also anything I should know about the actual games is good too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Anyone wanna type some words on Alpha Centauri? Picked it up on a whim after beating XCOM (needed more sci-fi turn based goodness) and god drat does it seem complicated, like way more so than Civ. I have very little clue what I should be doing and I even read all the tutorial tips :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Awesome, thank you. I think this is enough to get me going. Good stuff for the wiki too, the current entry is pretty bare bones.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Flame112 posted:

Is there anything I need to know about GTA IV to make it prettier or run better or whatever? Just bought it from Steam.

Check this poo poo out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Skip Mother 1 but play Earthbound before Mother 3.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

GloomMouse posted:

Anyone played Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System and know what Jobs to pick? I'm pretty familiar with the original version, and I'm aware of a couple of changes regarding item locations (Nihopaloa for example), so I just don't want to end up without an important Technik/Magick. I'll be playing it on PCSX2 for the save-states and graphical boost, so I could use a save editor if I gently caress up, but I'd rather not have to.

Hi, I know entirely too much about this game.

So check it, choosing your jobs is important for a couple reasons. Firstly, you can never change jobs. Once you pick them you're stuck with them so keep that in mind. Second, most of the game's content can be completed with literally any party so don't stress too much. That said here's some stuff to chew on:

-Each class has a different license board and each board is unique to that job. You may notice that small sections of the board are unreachable. This is because the gap must be bridged with an esper/quickening tile. An esper can only be assigned to one board and its permanent. Why this matters: these unreachable sections of the board often contain very valuable licenses, since esper tiles can only be used once, you won't be able to unlock the full board for every job. An example, because that probably made no sense: the Ultima esper can be used to unlock the Telekinesis skill for the Knight or unlock two speed nodes for the Monk or unlock three magic nodes for the Machinist. So if you had all those jobs on the same team you'd have to make the call between which licenses are most important. The point of all this is that you generally want to avoid job combos that unlock powerful licences with the same esper.

-Magic owns, way more than in vanilla. Black/White mages are awesome and can go with any team. Red mages are pretty good, with Time mages being fairly awful.

-Generally you want to take either a Monk, Breaker or a Uhlan. They all have access to two techniques that are extremely useful (Expose and Wither). Also, unlike vanilla, polearms and spears can hit flying enemies which is nice.

-You'll also generally want to take either a Hunter, Archer or Machinist. The reason being that they have access to all three levels of the Remedy license.

-Finally, Knights and Samurai are the biggest damage dealers. Katanas have been re-balanced (higher base damage, lower combo chance) and now appear throughout the game instead of just towards the end. Also a Samurai's damage is based off your MAG rating which is why they wear light armor.

-Chests have been almost completely re-balanced as well. What this means is that there are far fewer chests with stupidly low spawn/drop chances, and way more 100% spawn/100% drop chests. Lots of unique items and spells can be found in them (sometimes you can't find them anywhere else) and in general its much more rewarding to go treasure hunting than it was in vanilla.

Well, that's all I can think of for now, but ask more questions in the FF thread if you want. A pretty good number of active posters have played IZJS and we love talkin about it.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 3, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Kind of. The reason people recommend staying at a low level early on is that eventually you'll come across a mechanic that allows you to gain stats when you level up. By staying low level you'll have more opportunities to increase your stats. The point when this happens will be obvious, but honestly don't sweat it. FF6 is pretty easy and there's no need to metagame that hard.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nohman posted:

I'm going to give Demon's Souls a shot now that I've finished up Dark Souls. Any tips for a first time playthrough just staying mostly away from PvP?

There is no poise and there is no medium roll so you always want to stay just under 50% equip weight. Intelligence = attunement (increases your mana) and magic = intelligence (increases your spell power). Strength and Dex have their own dedicated weapon upgrade paths. Don't worry about the world tendency poo poo until you're pretty familiar with the game. You can do the levels in any order but 1-2, 2-1 and 4-1 are good to start off on.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Phobophilia posted:

Wait, there's no entry for Dishonored in the wiki? How can that be!?

So, usual questions, plus a mechanics one. I think there's some kind of shadow system in the stealth, but how powerful is it?

Actually compared to say, the Thief games, Dishonored's stealth doesn't really rely much on the shadows. Its much more important to understand the line of sight and sounds. Grab the darkvision and blink 2 upgrades asap and that's pretty much all you'll need in terms of stealth. Use darkvision to get an idea of the guard's vision cone and use blink to constantly stay above them. When you're above a dude you're practically invisible (unless they decided to have a stretch right at the wrong time since they look up when they do this). And of course crouch-walking is the name of the game when it comes to keeping quiet.

But really the best starting advice is to not reload if you get caught. The game is designed around it and gives you plenty of options for either escaping or fighting and you'll probably find it a lot more fun as a result. Save your perfect no kills no alerts run for the second play through. To go along with that, don't worry about killing people either. You can kill a decent amount of dudes and still get the low chaos ending, but honestly the high chaos ending is way better IMO so kill away.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RillAkBea posted:

I've played about 2 hours of Terraria now and I still have no idea what I'm doing apart from making random objects and digging deep deep holes in vain attempts to find metals.

How the heck do I play this game?

Sounds like you're playing it right.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Plus the music that plays when you save them is way better than if you kill them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The original, RA 1, RA 2 are worth going back too IMO. I liked RA 3 and Generals but I heard C&C4 was really bad.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So I bought Endless Space yesterday because of the steam sale without realizing that apparently this game is quite a bit more complicated that I imagined. Noob tips greatly appreciated.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh word I'd forgotten about the wiki, thanks. I didn't splurge on the expansion so this is all good stuff.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mr. Maltose posted:

As long as you don't double up on jobs, you can make pretty much anything work.

And seeing as how you can't pick the same job twice its never an issue.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

GhostBoy posted:

If you want to cut out a good chunk of grinding throughout the game, by putting in some work in the beginning, here's a tip.

Companions join your party at "Vaans level -1", once they join permanently. After the palace, you'll have Vaan solo for a little while, and access to the Giza Plains. Towards the southern end there should be 2 werewolves that are level 20-ish (aka, about 10-15 levels more than you at this stage). They are weak to wind, and you can steal a Gladius (dagger, wind element) from the Lindbur Wolf, which is an early hunt (also impossible to beat for you at this stage, but you can steal and then run away). The Gladius just speeds things up a bit, and is not required.

Anyway, get yourself to a point where you can beat one, and eventually both of those (abuse Quickenings if you have any yet). Run 2 screens away to reset (through the village) and repeat. Since Vaan is alone, he gets all the XP for himself, so you could get him a comfortable buffer, that will also improve all your subsequent companions down the line as you get them. I stuck with it until I had him at 20, which carried me the rest of the game, but you can do with less. It is a little rough to get the ball rolling (the werewolves don't mess around), but I'll take a few hours spent up front on a 50+ hour game, rather than having to grind on and off throughout the game.

If you're gonna do this might as well just use the Dustia leveling trick (google it if you don't know) as its safer and faster in the first place.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MrBims posted:

FF8's combat is only fun if you do not try to learn how the systems work and game them. That is really all you need to know about the game. Even learning some simple facts about the magic system and junctioning will shred the game's pacing completely to pieces and turn cheat mode on.

On the other hand, its not that fun relying on GFs and drawing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
He has a really cool attack animation/stance with spears if you want to make him an uhlan.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Really surprised there is next to nothing on the wiki for Stardew Valley.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Don't stress about choices or consequences. The game is designed to be, well, painful. Embrace the pain, in the end you'll get through it fine and have an overall cooler experience.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Game is super complicated and its probably best to ask the main thread questions as you think of them while playing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754959

There are like a million things to learn, but I think this overview from the POE wiki sums up a lot of beginner stuff nicely, especially if you're coming from a D3 background: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Diablo_Player%27s_Guide_to_Path_of_Exile

Main thing for starting right now is make sure you create your character in the Breach Softcore League.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 7, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mzbundifund posted:

I just got Obduction. This is a bit of a weird question, but how important is it to keep the audio on for that game?

Not very, although there are some audio logs with pertinent info (probably subtitled if you turn that on) and some nice music cues as well. IIRC there are not any puzzles that rely on sound specifically, but there will be nonessential hints that are delivered via sound cues.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Definitely go hard into the alchemy tree and get the auto-apply oils mod. I also like the one that lets you track all quest markers from the map, and you can get the fast travel anywhere one too to save a lot of time as long as you're confident you know when not to use it so you don't break scripted sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bobfly posted:

I want to play FFXII: Zodiac Age, but I don't want to grind at all, I have no patience for that. Is that realistic? Are there any choices I could make to ease that?

Yeah that's realistic as the main story progression isn't too hard. Probably the best thing to do is just pick strong job combos for your team. A goon actually made this long rear end reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyXII/comments/6mm06s/how_about_a_team_composition_megathread/ explaining potential combos if you wanna take a look but if you just wanna get going I like this team:

Breaker/Hunter
White Mage/Machinist
Samurai/Monk
Knight/Time Mage
Red Mage/Black Mage
Archer/Uhlan

You can put the jobs on whoever, character stats don't matter that much.