Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You should go ask in the Dark Souls PC thread. The basic idea though is that every single thing is viable for PvE and you don't need to worry at all. Upgrading your weapons and your shield is usually more beneficial than leveling up but remember the game is about you, not your character.

And also, never level Resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Pryce posted:

This. I wouldn't advise skipping the game completely, but you should play through the main missions to get through the game as quickly as possible; the side missions are boring and don't really do anything for you.

While the first one is indeed pretty meh, this is a bad way to play the other Assassin's Creed games. If you don't enjoy running around and being a douche in a historical parkour simulator, you're not going to enjoy the main story that tacks on a hamfisted plot onto your shenanigans. If anything it's a game about taking your time and just enjoying how pretty everything is and seeing what happens when you try to get away from trouble you've caused, not about powering through Every Bad Conspiracy Theory: The Cutscene.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I've played the hell out of Dark Souls (and continue to do so) but might be able to pick up Demon's Souls pretty soon. I know the main differences, but what are some pointers for what I need to know regarding the stat/level-up system and the weapon/armor upgrade system?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

What should I know about Risen? I got it ages ago, played through a little bit of the intro, and got my face owned off by some tall bird. Are there any skills that are totally worthless, or for that matter, any that are really overpowered? Any general tips are greatly appreciated as well.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Finally picked up Torchlight II in the Steam sales - did they ever fix the game's godawful skill balance issues? I hesitated picking it up at full price because you'd effectively get worse at the majority of skills as you put points in them due to really incompetently-designed mana scaling. Can I level up free and clear or was that kind of poo poo written off as "working as intended"?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything in particular I should know for Don't Starve? Or should I just stumble into it on my own?

Definitely spend a lot of stumbling and discovery time, but know that you get more crafting options once you build the science machine, and more again once you build the next step up. What you can make seems kind of underwhelming at first, but pretty soon you won't really know what to do next, given you survive long enough to start making things.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Bought Kingdoms of Amalur because of the weekend sale and the wiki entry is a bit barebones - anything that it doesn't cover that I'd be well off knowing? Also, it mentions a bug where Adrenaline Surge will damage you rather than heal you at low health, has that been fixed by chance?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

What should I know about the indie game "Knights of Pen & Paper +1"?

As long as you have a character with a heal and some mana regen, you will literally never die, trivializing combat into a boring slog. Because of how resources work, though, relying on healing items rather than a dedicated healer is prohibitively expensive. Have fun! :downs:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

It all depends on how much you value the RPG mechanics of ME1 and how much you like fps gameplay. I consider ME1 to be a 60/40 split between RPG / FPS shooter, hell maybe 65 / 35. Even with the clunky inventory, I liked having to debate between Submachine Gun model 1 tier 3 vs. Submachine Gun model 2 tier 2, things like that.
ME2 reverses those percentages to be 40/60 in favor of FPS. Just the feel of the game is much less role playing than the first in dozens of little ways. Your weapon upgrades are much more streamlined with clear hierarchy and not as much a tradeoff between one model to another. That said, I did enjoy it a lot, some of the missions are excellent.
ME3 is almost a pure action game with some superficial rpg trappings. Call this breakdown 20/80 in favor of the fps side. It's fine for what it is but is easily the worst of the three imo, whereas 1 and 2 are fairly close (1 is my favorite still, but 2 is still very good)

I'd say that this is an accurate breakdown of things, and that the tone of the games also reflects this. Whereas ME1 almost entirely revolves around the galaxy being a really mysterious and at least a little bit melancholy place (see: the title theme), ME2 starts to get a little bit more grimdark/edgy, and ME3 is all about :supaburn: THE END TIMES :supaburn: with some occasionally very personally affecting moments. While I much, much prefer the gameplay of ME2 over ME1, the vaguely retro-futurist, sorta corny but really heartfelt sci-fi of ME1 holds my interest so much more than ME2's drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

ME1 I felt was the most ambitious, but ME2 was the most streamlined. Compare the way the Citadel was in the first game to the one in the second game. The second one is much smaller, but makes better use of space. Despite that, I can't help but stare at how awesome the environment looks in the first ME.

This is actually a much better way to explain it than how I put it! I'm biased for ambitious and obtuse games (which is a good explanation of why Morrowind is pretty much my favorite game ever), so if that's what drew you into ME1, you probably won't find it as much in ME2, despite 2 having a much more unified sense of game design.