Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How do I stop losing at Uplink?

Another good way to get more time before a trace hits you is to bounce through servers you have access to. The easiest way to do it is to open an account in each game bank (search "bank" in Internic).

My usual starting gambit is to open accounts in all banks, get loans, get password craker max version (skip the dictionary ones AND TraceTracker), get log deleter max version and complete some easy jobs. If you don't have enough cash for log deleter do a few easy jobs anyway, because if your bounce is long enough the traces will take at least a couple real time hours, enough for you to complete a lot of jobs and still delete your traces on Internic.

A couple more tips:

- If you want to play on the stock market, buy stock for the companies that you take jobs from. After doing the job, wait until it hits the news and your stock will be worth much more.
- Divert CPU power to the program you are using RIGHT NOW with the arrows at each side of the programs. That will speed up cracking stuff.
- Don't make a long bounce chain in missions where you have to frame someone. You'll fail the mission because the trace is too long and the game can't trace it back to your scapegoat.
- Don't do incremental upgrades, at least at the start. Either buy the best version of a program or don't buy it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Cirrial posted:

I just bought Dominions 4 and god help me I have no idea what I'm doing or what anything is and aaaaaaa.

Any tips? (is there a thing I have to do beyond kill all the everyone else, even)

I have only played (briefly) Dom 3 so I cannot offer any good tips, but it's a very complex game, and playing the AI won't help a bit because it cannot use magic properly. Your best bet is the game thread

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just picked up Splinter Cell: Blacklist in the Steam Sale. I've only played the first one, where it was trivial to hang around in the dark, shooting lights to sneak past everyone, but the enemies seem much more obnoxious in here. They have longer search patterns, take a long time to stop searching and look around if some of them go missing.

I consider using guns in this kind of games a failure, but it seems the game expects you to execute your problems away. Any tips?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ghost - Nonlethal takedowns will count towards this, and you get a bonus for sneaking through an area without being detected at all (having to knock someone out negates this, I THINK, at least, but distraction items are permitted without negating the bonus).

Hmnn... I've been moving through the first level giving sleeping hugs to every bad guy, and it's giving me ghost points for each takedown and Ghost points at the end of the level. Are you talking about something else?

Also, stupid question, but how do I melee as a spy while playing multiplayer? I'm mashing the E button but it seems to do nothing, and I don't see any other prompt. Maybe it's that I'm frantically running around while being shot at, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Talisman: Digital Edition is now downloading because i'm interested in the digital board game concept and it was only 5 bucks.

The Priestess or Seer or whoever gets to draw cards twice is easy mode. Other than that, play with friends so at least you can laugh at each other's misfortune. Otherwise the game is just a mindless dicefest with no player agency.

If you're interested in digital boardgames and have a somewhat decent mobile/tablet go to the iOS boardgame thread or the Android thread, they have tons of information and suggestion for boardgames. Off the top of my head, Ticket to Ride, Lords of Waterdeep, Ascension, Agricola and Ghost Stories all have great conversions and are pretty different for each other. They usually go for 5-10 bucks with ocassional sales.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I know it's new, but any starting tips for Sunless Sea? I haven't found a way to make money reliably, so I have to use all my cash just buying fuel. Eventually I end up broke and without any way to improve my ship to battle tougher enemies.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The best DLC is the one that lets you wear the cop uniform in all your secret infiltration Triad meetings.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Any tips for The Last Federation? There's an LP going on, but it's one of those Parliamentary unwieldy things with 3 million posts for each update, and I haven't seen a thread for the game itself.

Besides tips on general strategy, I have some questions:

Is it better to uplift everyone or to focus on the more advanced races?
What's the pace of the game? Spending a year researching something looks like a waste, but apparently isn't such a long time.
Any way of making money fast? Again, without missions the fastest I can do is maybe 1k a year, which seems slow.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Both Fall and Rise are worth it. They feel like completely new games (Fall even more so).

The other stuff is probably not worth it unless you get it in a sale or something.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just bought the original Warhammer: Dawn of War (GOTY) and all the expansions in the Steam sale. The wiki only has tips for the second game.

Anything I need to know specifically for the first one?

IIRC there is a pretty easy way to cheese the game if you want to. Once it's clear that you're winning the battle, but before destroying the last building, you can take some time to build turrets near spawning points. If the enemy counteratact during their turn, your turrets will delay the enemies enough to rush them with basically any troops.

Don't do this unless you're getting your rear end kicked pretty often.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Thanks for this. Mind explaining Junctioning more, the in game tutorial seems kinda bare minimum to me. For instance what happens in battle if you use a spell you have junctioned, can you run out? I think the farthest I ever got back in the day was the end of disc 1.

The amount a stat is increased depends both of the particular spell you're using (for example, Triple may be great for MAG but less good for STR) and the number of spells in your inventory. As you cast and the number of spells linked to a stat decreases, so does the stat it's linked to.

That may cause a situation when you want to avoid casting spells, especially the ones harder to come by.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Also,do not bother the ducks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Best advice I can give you is to take it slowly in the field, Meld be damned. Usually picking up 1 container per mission is enough to keep you supplied.

Never advance beyond of where your first soldier has moved. Leapfrogging soldiers is well and good, but if you advance with your last movement and trigger alien forces the next turn is going to hurt. Ideally, you want to trigger the aliens with your first movement (something well armored, if possible), and then kill the new aliens in the same turn, or at least weaken them a lot and then set overwatch to kill the on their turn.

If you're playing on Normal, ignore that stuff about not using explosives, at least at the start. 3 or 6 (rockets are 6? I think rockets are 6) damage on demand on several guys is huge.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

There are several mods that should be used even in a first playthrough. Right from the Skyrim mods thread:

Scyantific posted:

Recommended Mods for a First Time Play-through:
Generally speaking, you'll want to do your first Skyrim run with as few mods as possible, that way you know exactly what you want to change about the game.

Goon recommendations for a first timer usually come down to:
-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)
-Faster Mining
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

Most of these are things that make some of the glaring flaws of the game a bit less harsh (such as getting tossed into the Thieves Guild questline your first time in Riften), or making sure that vital NPCs stay alive during Vampire/Dragon attacks.

Out of this, I'd say the UI, unofficial patches and Run For Your Lives/When Vampires Attack (basically the same mod but affects Dragon/Vampire attacks) are straight up quality of life improvements that don't change the game if you want to have the "real" experience. And understand the "arrow in the knee" joke.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Nope. Hammer away.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tea Bone posted:

How much of the Bioshock series do I need to play before Infinite? One of my friends is insistent that I need to play the entire series first, another says I can and should skip 2. What are goons opinions on this?

Actually, I don't think you need to play 1, either.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

al-azad posted:

Infinite can stand on its own however the ending hinges on a certain element common to the series and the impact may be lessened if you're not aware of it.

Could you send me a PM about it, please? I can't remember the thing you're talking about.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just started Wasteland 2, and I find I'm running out of ammo constantly. I have a spread of weapons on my guys, but the early enemies are giving me basically nothing in the way of ammo. Should I invest in melee, or is this just the start of the game? Skill points seem pretty scarce.

Speaking of points, do attributes have anything to do with skills? Should I stick my talkie skills on the charismatic leader or ignore that as long as I have all the skills covered somewhere?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

I was gifted X-COM: Enemy Unknown. I've never played an X-COM game before, any tips?

Assuming you don't have Enemy Within, which tries to make you hurry, the most efficient way to play is to use an Assault with Lightning Reflexes as a scout.

You advance with one of your two actions and then the rest of your squad stays behind him/her. That way you'll only trigger aliens on your first move of the turn, so you have plenty of actions left to deal with them. Everyone should end the turn on Overwatch if you have no aliens in sight. If you get bored with this way of planning, at least play more conservatively as your turn advances. Leapfrogging works in real life, but if you trigger aliens on your last move you're probably hosed.

Explosives (grenades and rockets) are great, because they let you deal fixed damage, on demand, no questions asked, and blowing up cover as a bonus. If you're playing on normal or lower, you'lll have plenty of fragments for research/manufacture.

As someone said, plan to have enough satellites and satellite uplinks to keep countries from panicking and abandoning X-Com. That only happens at the end of the month, so you may as well wait in case another alert pops up and you need the panic reduction.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

year199X posted:

That will do, thanks. Also, no one told me I'd spend an inordinate amount of time trying to clean out the crane game in the arcade.

Yakuza: The combat is pretty deep for a WarioWare game.
Yakuza 2: Oh, my God, it's full of minigames.
Yakuza 3: Ping pong, pachinko and hostess. And Yakuza, I guess.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

health from buildings is local health, and the game stupidly doesn't tell you this. That means a city can only ever contribute <population> health, even if you have much more in it from buildings, so you want to pump them up fast to avoid being permanently unhealthy. The rest is wasted.

Wait, what? What does the Health counter on the top of the screen represent, then? I had seen some discrepancies when building health improvements, but I wasn't paying enough attention to see a problem with it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

The health counter at the top represents actual health you have in your empire. If you look at the city screens, you also see a health counter in each of those. All those get added together for the top counter, but if say you build a Clinic and a Pharmalab in a city (for a total of +3-ish health), but the city is only 1 pop, then you only get +1 health to your total counter until the city grows, but you still get the unhealthiness of having an extra city.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks. It would have been better to make it clearer somewhere, but it makes sense. So far I've only played in the two easiest difficulties, so it wasn't a problem and I didn't investigate much.

The UI in the cities could use an overhaul.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I started playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in my tablet yesterday, controls are surprisingly good. What isn't as good is that even the easier quests are kicking my rear end.

Weak weapons take forever to kill a monster and heavy weapons mean I cannot touch the velociraptors/mosquitoes. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to facetank the quests with potions, so there has to be something I'm missing.

Besides "get better", I mean.

EDIT: And who's the "old lady" the wiki is talking about? The one next to my house?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 10, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Anything for This War of Mine?

I've only started playing, so take all this with a grain of salt:

- You don't have to feed your characters every day. Once every two is enough to keep them fed/first level of hungry. I haven't tried to fast for longer, I worry about my pixel mans :ohdear:
- Guy with more carrying capacity is more useful than the lady with better negociating skills (or at least at lower levels when you don't have stuff to trade). Restart until you get him.
- Cigarretes are useful for trading, but your cook (and other players) will smoke them, so if you're going to prepare them wait until you have someone at your door eager to trade. You can keep them waiting for the entire day, I think.
- Sniper Junction is relatively easy to go through and gives you a very good reward if you help a guy in there.
- You can generally guess whether armed dudes will shoot you or not by staying out of sight and listening to their conversations for a bit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Anything for Just Cause 2? (For PS3 since I didn't think my pc could run it)

Hijack a helicopter, fly it around blowing up stuff and Rico will do something magical :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Anything for Dynasty Warriors 8:Xtreme:Complete Edition:Yadda, yadda? There's just so much stuff and I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game nor have more than a passing knowledge or RotTK.

Main doubts after dicking around with a some early missions and Ambiton mode:

- Combat seems pretty simple: No dodge, a slow block, no tells from the millions of enemies except for the very slow ones from commanders...
- What does the blue/red bar during battles do? Is some kind of initiative/morale thing?
- Should I bother trying to defend my allies, or just charge to the next objective?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Go to the right.

Eeeeh... I haven't played enough, here's a post from a couple of pages back.

Magres posted:

The game isn't a sprint, it's a marathon - you have to keep moving, but you don't have to always be moving to the right. When the Demon Lord shows up, if you're not feeling ready to fight them you can just run from them for a while and they'll piss off.

Past that, uh, it's been a while. There's a thread here on SA though that has lots of helpful advice! It's only like 19 pages and the OP is pretty good, so it shouldn't take too long to get oriented and fleeing from a murderous wall of darkness!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Anything for Darkest Dungeon? I picked it up on a whim last night and oh god it is destroying me.

Hieronymous Alloy posted a pretty good Starter Guide on Steam

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Does this get better?

If you want the levels to get more self-contained, you're out of luck. One of the selling points was that all the areas were placed in a somewhat logical manner, and that they were "geographically coherent" rather than isolated areas. For example, if you spend two areas climbing stairs and find a path that doubles back and starts going down, odds are that it's a shortcut to a previous area. There are many points were you can look back and see where you've come from and where you're going to be in 5-6 hours.

If you want Dark's feeling of each area being sorta independent, you probably want Demon's 2, rather than 1.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm playing Divinity:Original Sin, just finished everything I can in the starting city. The game seems to give me a lot of options, but everywhere I go there are Lvl 5-7 dudes that wreck my level 3 party. I've been looting everything that isn't nailed down and my equipment is good for my level, but going through enemies is a pain.

It feels that the game wants me to do some lower level area first, but I can't find it, and the low movement speed is getting frustrating when exploring.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks. The main plot seemed to have more to do with necromancy, and I was ignoring the orcs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

If you want to game the system, you can run back to a store in order to sell poo poo if your inventory is full. I wouldn't recommended because a) it's boring and kills the pace and b) makes the game easier, but building a cash reserve to splurge in medkits/ammo/tk serum can help brute force a section if it's too difficult for you. And allows you to break the game over your knee by buying upgrade materials, if that's what you want.

I'd suggest playing it on Hard, because it makes ammo more scarce and makes the game feel more survival horror than 3rd person shooter.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What with it being on steam, now, anything for Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires?

This is also the first :Empires game I've played in the series.

I've only been playing it for a couple of days and I'm not expert, so the only tip I can give is that Change Weapon is your "Oh, poo poo I'm surrounded" button. It clears space around you and stuns enemy officers, even if they are in the middle of an attack. Also, buy a second weapon that fits your character ASAP.

Here's a thread for all things DW

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It may be that Uncharted's arenas are more cramped than I remember, but you should NOT be playing it as a cover shooter. Move around. Try to flank dudes. Punch them in the face. Melee is very satisfying and you're a bullet sponge.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Only on Easy modes, or in Uncharted 2, though I dunno if that holds into UC2's harder difficulties.

Ok, let me rephrase: You can charge a guy, shooting at him while running, and finish him by punching him in the balls and then hide to heal.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tell me stuff about Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'd like to miss as little as possible because I have no time to play long RPGs repeatedly anymore.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Waroduce posted:

what should i know before playing crusader kings 2?

please be as spergy as your heart desires

also i heard the dlcs are good/worth it?

Most of the DLC functionality/quality of life improvements are transferred to the base game when the DLCs appear. The DLC itself will allow you to play non-standard (read: non-Christian/feudal) characters, but you don't need them while starting. On the other hand, at this point is probably cheaper to buy one of the "complete" versions, which include some DLC.

Ireland is your tutorial island. Munster is the biggest fish on a small pond, isolated from whatever is happening in England/Europe, and it has some clear objectives (get a duchy, take over another duchy, create the Kingdom of Ireland, pacify the bastards who don't want to become part of it). Learn about making claims, marriage and other ways to get some more land. Then you can dick around with religion wars (Castille), the HRE, etc... after you get the basics down, get some DLC that looks interesting (Vikings), so you can play some other religion (VIKINGS!) and some new mechanics (PILLAGE! BURN! LOOT! :black101:)

There's a good tutorial Let's Play here. Some things don't apply anymore due to patches, but you'll get the general idea.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Can't help you there, but if it's any consolation, using magic is completely unnecessary to finish the game. It's way weaker than your usual attacks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It'll be more important in the sequel :v:.

:negative:.

You are a horrible person :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Play on harder difficulties. That forces you to use most of your tools (bombs, potions and signs) and learn the combat system, rather than brute forcing your way through.

In general, you want to focus your points in a single tree, because that way you can unlock better upgrades that require a minimum investment before unlocking, plus you get greater benefits from the mutagens that way. Also money stops being an issue early in the game, so you can buy a bunch of potions to reset your points and experiment. The alchemy tree, for example, seems a good candidate for late game investment.

Bhodi posted:

that goes counter to what I was told in another thread, interesting. I didn't try it myself. Flamethrower was garbage? bummer.

I'm pretty sure I've failed an Axii prompt because I didn't have the skill equipped, may be wrong. I'll have to unslot something and try again.

Regarding the flamethrower, I've used it successfully to punch way over my weight. Skull level monsters heal faster than I can damage them with a sword, so setting them on firethem (alternate Ignii ALWAYS procs, the normal one doesn't, in my experience), waiting a bit for your stamina to regenerate and burning them again was a good way of cheesing them. Burning damage works as a percentage of the monster's health, and also stops them on its tracks.

Sundance Shot posted:

It might just be because I didn't put many points in it but it holds you in place, doesn't really stun enemies unless it gets an ignite off and doesn't really do that much damage. It might just be a late bloomer and really shine with the points maxed out in it, but I imagine turning yourself into some kind of albino fire turret is less fun than using your sword.

Try firing it a little earlier and then approaching the enemy, rather than firing when they are close to you. It gets yo a little more time for the ignite to start.

And burning people to death is hilarious

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 1, 2015