Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have any advice for Final Fantasy XIII? So far it seems like it's not going to be super difficult, but I don't know if there are any secret things I need to jump through 80 hoops to get, or that I could miss forever by opening one stupid chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the FFXIII advice; I'm really sad Sazh is so terrible, since he seems like the most tolerable character so far.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice on Wasteland 2? Should I go with a single PC and pre-gens, or should (can?) I make 4 separate characters myself? Is first aid/doctor essential? Do I need to have good coverage on all the noncombat skills, or is that not a huge deal?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

theshim posted:

Doctor is used to revive people who are bleeding out, while First Aid is used to heal people who are wounded but standing. Both are helpful, but it's particularly useful to have at least two people with Doctor so you don't lose everyone if the one goes down.

Intelligence, as usual, is cruicial, and the break points on it are 4, 8, and 10 - make sure to be on one of those. 8 is probably best for most characters.

Make a party of 4 (take pregens if you want), none of your people have character of their own, so it shouldn't matter too much.

There's a thread with a bunch of people and information.

Thanks. Should I worry about the seemingly joke skills? (e.g. toaster repair)

EDIT: nvm, reading the Wasteland 2 thread. Thanks.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anything I should konw before playing Divinity: Original Sin?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 9, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Yes, but these all (almost all) require you to use "per-rest" abilities, which can only be refreshed (obviously) when you rest. So either I nuke every major encounter with spells while the tanks just hold the enemy attention, or every fight sucks. And that means I basically have to rest every few encounters, eventually heading back to town if I haven't found camping supplies. My stealth strike-insertion into a hostile lords keep should not take several days, drat it.
I never played an MMORPG, and I'm kinda annoyed that single player RPG's are taking cues from them. It was annoying enough in Dragon Age, and at least that game didn't basically autokill your casters for trying to kite a melee goblin.

(Also "just have everyone shoot a single guy" worked perfectly well in Wasteland 2 and Avernum / Avadon)

How big is your party? I found some early content was pretty rough with only the early and obvious companions, but once you have six people things seem to ease up. If you have less than six, I would strongly recommend going to the local inn and hiring some adventurers. They will let you fill any holes in your party composition and give you much needed staying power.

As others have said, party composition is critical too. Remember a few things. First, there's really no penalty to swapping to new weapon types. You lose access to any weapon focus talents, but if you aren't that far in the game you shouldn't need those to hit anything. So don't be afraid to hand your squishier characters bows and guns and the like so they can shoot from far back. Second, pay attention to how much armor you are slapping on them. The heavier armor types can make guys much more survivable, but slow down everything you do. So your back line wants lighter armor so it can hit more often, while front line guys want more even if it lowers damage. Third, as others have said you need some sort of front line. Not that many fights that I have seen (I am not done with the game) involve more than three or four enemies. So if you have two front line dudes with sword and shield, that ought to be enough to "engage" three or so enemy melee attackers.

As an example, have each of your melee'ers attack one separate target at the beginning of the fight. Then pause once they are in melee range and have them attack a different enemy that is also adjacent to them. That will hopefully stop those enemies from making it to your back line. In the mean time, your back line can be pelting your foes with all kinds of ranged attacks. Bows, crossbows, wands, scepters, rods, guns, etc. You can control the back line by basically having them all attack one guy at the same time. Frankly, I play by basically only having two groups. One is a single melee guy that tanks some foes with heavy armor and a shield. The second is everyone else (five characters) who I just band select and right click on one target at a time. It cleans fights up pretty well. You'll get a hard fight every now and then, but that's where the per-rest abilities are needed.

If you are still having trouble, who is in your party? (Generically speaking, I mean) There's a fighter, mage, and priest available pretty early on. If your main character prefers to play from the back line, hire another front line character. Fighters, paladins, barbarians, chanters, and ciphers all work pretty decently there, I think. I haven't used a barbarian or rogue, but ciphers and chanters get lots of per-encounter abilities and can flex between front and back line based on armor and weapon sets. Your back line can be whoever you like. I also count lighter armor melee damage dealers in the back line camp, since you will want them to start in the third or fourth party portrait slot so they don't immediately engage the enemy, but instead swing around to the side of the targets you are focus-firing to help bring them down. You'll use them just as part of your band-box selected damage crew. They can benefit from medium armor.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can I get some tips on combat in The Witcher 3? I feel like every time I go into a group of bandits/drowners/whatever, I flail with a few light attacks, get parried and stabbed in the back a bunch, and then have to run in circles for like five minutes. I've tried throwing bombs but I'm terrible at aiming them.

Basically, how do you parry/counterattack? When I try to wait for the enemy name to flash red and then hit my left trigger, either I miss and get hit anyways, or another enemy comes up and stabs me in the side.

Also, should I make decoctions or mutagens and which ones are good? For level-up points I'm a touch overwhelmed too, but have been sticking stuff in random places. Is there a respec later on in case I screw up my points and want to retry?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Useful info about Witcher 3.

Thanks man. I'm glad I'm mostly on the right page with combat. I think I have been over-using the longer dodge roll. It seems to always take me out of range of a counter-attack. I avoided doing that on a recent side-quest and that helped a lot, as did just giving up on parrying entirely.

I'm glad I can make decoctions and still put mutagens in my skill slots. At first I thought it was an either-or type of thing where I could either get the griffin decoction or have a blue mutagen. Now that I've started to get some as random drops it makes snagging the decoctions much less worrysome.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Abductions and terror missions you really should do if at all possible. You can skip them if need be but it's not great. Trying to shoot down medium and small UFOs is almost always worth it if you've been keeping up on air technologies and equipment. Trying to shoot down large UFOs is doable later on, but you can occasionally let those go. Running missions on crashed UFOs is almost always worth it, and landed UFOs are generally worth it too but don't be afraid to run away if need be.

The alien base assault will sit there as long as you want.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

A) Can I get more eggs for Specter Lady, and if so, where?

Can you buy them from the shopkeeper? I think I can but I don't know if he has a limited supply. So far he hasn't run out for me.

You also don't always need eggs if you can reach and beat up your ghost. It's the equivalent of reclaiming your souls in Dark Souls.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Only downside of FFX was the "don't get zapped by lightning" minigame.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice for Dead Cells? I have unlocked 3-4 weapons and made it to the second boss, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing to really move the game forward, or what synergies exist, or how to make shields good.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

- The inhaler system is a bit confusing. Using an inhaler will take one of the health restoring items, but any other consumables that gets put into the other open slots will also have their affect applied. Additionally, it does not appear to consume that item when used, only the health one. So if you have only one of a good consumable then slap it in your inhaler and vape your way to victory.

Wait what? This is amazing and NEVER EXPLAINED. Does that also give the buff to your companion with the relevant companion ability from the 20 or 40 pt skill?

Also how do you get more vape slots?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice for Railway Empire? I haven't played a train game in decades.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nah, for the most part you can do what you like and ignore what you don't want.

Regarding your second spoiler, the game's menu for that topic will drop hints if it needs you to go do side-quests or exploration in an area to advance things.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I just reinstalled Medieval 2 for the first time in approximately ten years. Anyone have any good advice for understanding the economy or how to handle unit recruitment/replenishment? Almost all of my total war experience is with Warhammer, Warhammer 2, and 3K, so I'm very used to units replenishing to full strength just for being in friendly territory. I have a vague sense that's not how Med 2 works? Also a vague sense that I kept restarting as England and getting grumpy that I had a hard time early on.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'd agree with looking at the thread, but in general:
- It's easy to overextend yourself with too many armies, because upkeep gets murderous. Stick to one army and consolidate your areas for a while, until it feels like you have too much money and nothing to spend it on, in which case you can probably afford a second (and then a third, etc.).
- Building walls is actually super handy, both for delaying AI attacks and for giving you some forces that can fight off AI/rebel stacks. Even the smaller settlements can often use walls.
- I typically build a single province for unit production and the rest dedicated to economic concerns, because gold is king.
- When it comes to battle, ranged units are often really strong. If you are playing a faction with decent archers, they can do unreasonable amounts of damage if you can keep them out of melee. (So don't do this with Vampire Counts or Lizardmen, because they don't have good archers, but definitely do it with High Elves, Skaven, and Vampire Coast.)
- A few artillery are really handy for forcing the AI to come to you and doing outsized amounts of damage. Mortars, cannon, plagueclaw catapults, etc.
- As always, the hammer & anvil of melee infantry & cavalry is great. Depends on a bit on faction, but if you have good cavalry (i.e. are Bretonnia), definitely do it.
- For lord skills, lightning strike is absurdly powerful. Most lords that feel like they can be good in combat (i.e. aren't mages) can, in fact, be pretty good in combat, so feel free to pick those yellow skills if you want, but typically the red-line skills are really good.
- Don't be afraid to put your agents in your armies. If you've mostly played earlier total war games, you might assume your priests/spies/captains are mostly overworld heroes. And they are great on the overworld, to block armies and punch holes in walls, but they are also often really good as combatants. This is often the best way to get mages in your armies, it can give you really nice replenishment boosts, etc.

Good newbie factions tend to be relatively straightforward and depend on what DLC you have access to and whether you have Warhammer 1 or 2. I'd recommend Empire if you are vaguely interested in them. They're not the most exciting faction, but the army basics are very intuitive - build some archers/crossbowmen/handgunners and screen them with swords/spears/halberds in the early-mid game, occasional cavalry for flanking smashes. Late game, rocket batteries are absurd, steam tanks are neat but not particularly overpowered, demigryph knights hit like trucks, etc. Plus you have a great spread of magic to experiment with.

High Elves are similar newbie factions from the Warhammer 2 factions. Your early archers are bonkers strong, Lothern Sea Guard can substitute for them and are totally fine in melee if you get caught, and Sisters of Avelorn are absurd in the late game. You get access to awesome dragons to play with if you want, and your cavalry are good too. The big downside is the artillery is kinda poo poo, but build one or two and just accept that you mostly need to do something other than artillery.

Lizardmen are also awesome for newer players, because dinosaurs are amazing and really show off the great combat animations in the game. Early on you'll discover that skinks are kinda poo poo, but at least they're cheap. Saurus warriors are...aggressively mediocre until you get the later ones. BUT YOU HAVE DINOSAURS. Carnosaurs are brutal at knocking out high value targets. Stegadons have artillery on their backs (and are arguably better than the Ancient Stegadons that are better in melee but have archers instead of ballistas). I haven't played much with their flamethrowers or fliers, but those are neato too. Lizardmen are also really forgiving because, if you get a surprise wardec and are in trouble, you have an emergency "SUMMON THE DINOSAURS" button to build an army in an instant.

Dark Elves are probably neat, but I don't really know their army roster. Shades are super annoying and great early on.

Skaven are awesome, but might be trickier for a newer player. They build absurd gun lines, but their blocking infantry run away super fast, so you need to know how to funnel/delay enemy armies while you commit war crimes against them. It's like playing World War One against Napoleonic foes. You mow folks down with machine guns, flamethrowers, mustard gas, poison catapults, and giant lightning guns, and they die horribly until they make your front line evaporate. (Minor unintuitive tip - Plague Priests are bonkers because they can summon chaff to block for your armies.)

E: Dwarves used to be a really good newbie faction, because they're really straightforward. Build a wall of grumpy dwarves who don't want to move. Have quarrelers/artillery behind them to erase your enemies. Repeat, layering in flamethrowers and better artillery later on. Unfortunately, the most recent Orc DLC really buffed them and the Dwarves have a hard time early on.

Beastmen have amazing combat animations but are in a rough spot.

Vampire Counts are unique because they don't have any ranged units, but they have cool spooky monsters, can drown people in hordes of zombies that you just re-raise when they die, they're great. Play if they look fun.

Tomb Kings are also neat, because you play as spooky mummies. Their big strength is also their monsters - giant scorpions, statues, and sphinxes are killer. Like the Vampire Counts they have great chaff in their line skeletons, and you absolutely don't care if you have to re-buy six new units every fight, because they're free. They also have some archers, which is nice. But their campaign mechanics are a little unintuitive at first and their economy takes a while to figure out. (Very low income, but no upkeep costs.)

Vampire Coast I'm not as familiar with, but I think they get a gunline of artillery and have zombies in front to block for them. Play if you like pirates and sea monsters?

Chaos & Norsca I dunno, be annoying with good melee infantry and super frustrating skirmishing cavalry, then be sad because you live in the frozen north and the only thing you love is the hellcannon mommy left you?

Wood Elves go pew pew with archers. And have trees? Dunno much about 'em.

Bretonnia are also a totally fine newbie faction. Early on your archers and trebuchets are good, though they'll fall off as the game progresses. But by that point you'll have better trebuchets and, more importantly, the best cavalry and air cavalry in the game. So sacrifice some peasants to let your pretty dudes on horses kill everything in their way.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 13, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The only really sad change with Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla is they took away the instant-kill counter if you're dumb smart enough to use the assassin's blade as a primary weapon in combat. That was the best way to whirlwind your way through giant piles of enemies as Ezio, instead of trying to stealth through things or chip through huge health bars. Just get good at the counter timing and insta-gib everything.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I could be wrong, but I think you only need one type of fertilizer at a time, depending on what stage your rice is at.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Question about Persona 5: Royal. I've read the tips on the wiki and appreciate them, but I'm wondering more about allocating my time - how tight are things? Is it reasonably possible to max out most of the stats/relationships you want in your first run without slavishly following a guide? Should I be following a guide? Doing so doesn't bother me, it's more an issue of how much effort I need to put into planning things.

Relatedly, are there easy ways to break the game with fusions, or should I just roll with whatever and call it good?

(I've never played an SMT or Persona game before.)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I have the ps5 version of p5r, so I’m not sure if I have free dlc characters? Or if so, I don’t know where to get them.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I really like a no-blood and grime on your face mod because I felt like my characters were constantly covered in gore for cutscenes and it was distracting, but yeah, otherwise it’s all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anything for Risk of Rain Returns? I didn't really play the first one and just snagged this, and it's been kicking my rear end.