Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Is there anything I need to know about GTA IV to make it prettier or run better or whatever? Just bought it from Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not really for the "first time", but can someone give me some basic advice on Dishonored before I put it through a wall? I'm not very far into the game (the Distillery), but I'm having a really hard time making any progress that doesn't end in either me killing everyone in the area, or getting killed in two shots by fire breathing assholes.

If you get discovered walk around a corner and blink away out of sight, and eventually they'll stop looking for you. I forget if you have to upgrade Dark Vision to see where people are looking, but that's a helpful feature. You can also use the Possession power to get out of bad situations.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Are there any sweet mods for KoTOR1? I just picked up both in the sale. I know there's that new-ish restored content mod for the second one, but I don't know of anything for the first.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
For Tropico, if you pick the Booze Baron trait for your Presidente and then export rum/spiced rum you will make utterly obscene amounts of money.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Vadun posted:

Fable III:

I'm past the Point of No Return and trying to be super friendly happy King. I have enough funds on hand to make a huge investment in the real estate market but how does the uh.. Calendar system work? Can I literally just idle in town, and as long as I don't turn in the last quest on the days agenda the day wont tick over?

If you're on the 360 you can change your system clock to get a million dollars from real estate. I don't know if it'll work on PC but I think you could just idle in town.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
My absolute most satisfying Mark of the Ninja moments have been from frightening a guard and having the rest kill each other. Bonus points if the last guy walks backwards off a cliff and dies too.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I don't think I have ever seen a place where the enemies wouldn't stop spawning.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

On top of that, even if you manage to find something better or even slightly worse than what you have, it's easy to just upgrade it to be worth it. Or just upgrade everything to sell it for a little more cash.

When you discover the orc settlement with the ebony mine you will break the game balance and economy like a twig made of dust.

Don't you need like Smithing 80 before you can do anything with ebony? By that point you should already be rolling in money.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I picked up Risen 2 in the Humble Bundle and started playing it, but now that Risen 1 is a part of it I wanted to start with that one. I read the wiki article on Risen 1 but it didn't tell me everything I wanted to know. What are the pros and cons of using different weapon types, and that sort of thing.

Also, I know I'm supposed to pick a faction but in Risen 2 you end up with the inquisition, so is that the 'canon' choice? Or does the end of Risen 1 lead into that no matter who I side with?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Artix posted:

Anything on Expeditions: Conquistador? I played the tutorial and it seems to be an SRPG of sorts so I think I have a decent bearing on it, but any long-term tips or stuff that isn't very obvious would be appreciated.

Don't bother with bringing hunters into combat, melee is much more powerful than ranged. My combat crew was 2 soldiers, 2 scouts, and 2 doctors which ended up working pretty well. You should still have a couple hunters in your party though, for catching food.

If you want to be nice to natives, try not to recruit too many racist dudes, because their morale will go down every time you don't slaughter a village of women and children.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Okay, the wiki doesn't have anything on Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. How exactly do skill powerups work? I apply them beforehand which costs rage and then they only affect the next use of the skill?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

TerryLennox posted:

Anything about Risk of Rain? I'm getting my poo poo pushed so far in I feel I'm playing Bionic Commando on the NES again. The gameplay is pretty fun but unforgiving.

My advice is: play it in co-op. Kite dudes whenever possible. The enforcer is really bad because he has no mobility. I've only played the first three characters but the bandit and commando are much better than that guy.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

owl_pellet posted:

I have a question about Lara Croft: GoL: the wiki says that not all level challenges can be completed in one run through, but what about the challenge rooms? Can each one be solved the first time you encounter it or is there a little Metroidvania in play here such that I will have to come back after earning some ability or item in a later level?

You can solve all the challenge rooms the first time through. The reason you can't do all the bonus objectives at once is because there's always a "beat the level in this time" objective, which is gonna be really hard to do if it's your first time going through the level and you're doing all the other puzzle objectives.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

ImPureAwesome posted:

Any tips for party configurations and the like for expedition conquistadors?

For fights, I always brought some combo of 4 scouts/soldiers and then 2 doctors. Ranged attacks are pretty crappy, I'm pretty sure they do less damage in addition to having a miss chance. Flanking with melee attacks is really good and scouts are great at setting those up.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I just bought the Geneforge series and I don't know where to start. Are any of them incredibly outdated and should be skipped or anything?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
It's pretty easy to get something to max happiness. And Return is also good on pokemon with Aerilate or Refrigerate or whatever all those abilities are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
What should I know about Arx Fatalis? Someone told me to install Arx Libertatis, which I did, and the wiki has some info on not missing out on some stones or whatever, but I'm looking more for basic "where do I put my starting stat points" kinda stuff.