Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
I got chased out of the Monster Hunter thread for garbage posting, now I shit up other Games threads with useless low-effort uninformed aggro noise. I somehow think "VN nerds" are beneath me and I belong on your ignore list.

Lacking a 3DS to play the game myself, I'm going to go with how the press turn system worked in the other games that had it and say that mixing physical and magic capabilities is pointless. Pick one or the other, with magic being the categorically better choice due to resistance exploitation and increased resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
I got chased out of the Monster Hunter thread for garbage posting, now I shit up other Games threads with useless low-effort uninformed aggro noise. I somehow think "VN nerds" are beneath me and I belong on your ignore list.

Play the game for two hours while noting down everything about it that annoys you. Then find mods that fix those issues. It's much better to make the effort right away instead of being aggravated into restarting 20 hours in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Baldur's Gate II, anyone?
Cheat. This is not the kind of game you play for the combat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Aphra Bane posted:

The idea of modding makes me feel like an old grandma intimidated by strange technical wizardry, but I love that this is something I can theoretically do so I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Trust me, it's worth it. Skyrim is already an amazingly fun game. Mods only make it even better, and there are some seriously inspired ones.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kanfy posted:

As opposed to playing it for the great story? That's terrible advice.
What else would you play it for, if not the running around, exploring and talking to people? It doesn't exactly have much else going for it. Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my favourite games ever, I probably still haven't seen all the content, but I never would have finished it even once if I had to go through all of it fairly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I thought it was kinda implicit that everything people say in this thread is their own opinion. There is no objectively correct way to play any game. That being said, I'm hardly the first person to point out that the Infinity Engine games aren't all that riveting on the pure gameplay side. People were criticizing that as far back as the original release. You shouldn't feel like you're not "getting it" because you don't enjoy that part. A lot of people never did.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Quarex posted:

Yeah, this goes wonderfully with the people who talk about how Planescape: Torment would have been better if they had taken the combat out and just made it an adventure game, but of course then I would have not played it because adventure games suck IN MY HUMBLE OPINION OK. The combat in the Infinity Engine ranged from "super-fun" to "ugh," yes, but Baldur's Gate 2 was definitely not the place I have usually heard people complain about the combat...indeed of all the Infinity Engine games I think it is the LEAST complained-about in that regard.
Maybe you were listening in different places than I was. The way I remember it, combat encounters were one of the first things people started hacking the gently caress out of. Also, what is it with people in Games turning into pissy little babies when someone says the slightest negative thing about a game they like as if you had insulted their mom?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I don't think the complaint about PS:T torment was ever "it's too hard". You're literally immortal, after all. It's just boring. You're fighting all kinds of interesting creatures, you're one yourself, but the combat doesn't take advantage of any of that.
That's the problem, really. The combat isn't hard, or even particularly frustrating. It's just boring, to the degree that it just becomes something that stands between you and actually having fun. There are some pretty good and fun fights, mind, it's just that so much of it is filler.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Everybody knows that the definite Civilization to stop at is Civ 4, because that's what Fall From Heaven 2 was made for. Even if Civ 5 was the best Civ game ever, it would still not be worth getting, for that alone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Doomstacks aren't something I particularly miss, I gotta admit. Sure, it's more busywork, but at least it's different.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I've been thinking about finally beating Dragon Age Origins. The combat confused me and I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. Any tips?
Mages, as many as you can. Magic breaks this game wide open. Personally, I just recommend cheating, though. It's not really as fun as they made it out to be; for D&D goodness in a great engine you ought to go for Temple of Elemental Evil instead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Alternately, if you're a D&D nerd, go to GOG and get Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2; they recreate AD&D 3.5 perfectly. The storyline, unfortunately, is pretty mediocre.
That's another option. Together with the PRC pack, NWN1 is probably the best D&D3.5 simulator available. The two expansion campaigns are also not that bad. Not great, but very playable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The best thing to do is to ignore all the side quests, because there are so loving many of them and they are all so boring. There are enough main quests to keep you busy for twenty hours or more already, you definitely don't need more stuff to do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

texting my ex posted:

I bought Dead Space 1 and 2 for PS3. They come with all the DLC, which means all weapons DLC. In the first game, in the ingame "store" I see lots of different types of guns with names like "scorpion" and stuff that cost 0 credits. I assume, if I want a "balanced" first run, I shouldn't touch those?
It makes less of a difference than you'd expect, because they're basically identical to the standard weapons of their type with a slightly different model and a tiny bonus glued to it. Weapon power is mostly determined by upgrades, so it actually doesn't matter all that much what you pick in the beginning. At the base level, all weapons come out to more or less equal usefulness and your reflexes matter more than your specific loadout.

One bit of related advice that you didn't ask for: always keep at least one power node in your inventory. There are loot caches that are locked by power nodes and usually contain at least one more themselves, but you can't open them if you have none with you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My guess? Japanese devs care more about quality than western devs.
I wish. Tell that to Konami and their newfound love of Pachinko and mobile games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

*Skills/Spells that have multiple tiers will have an Higgledy requirement before they can be activated. You must have the proper count actively out on the field as they run up for you to absorb them by holding down the skill/spell button.
Is that actually a requirement? I haven't found the opportunity to try it yet, but I've read that it's basically just an alternative to having full Zing on a weapon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Iíve read that too, in the gameís SA thread (perhaps we read it in the same place)
Yes, that's where I got that from. I haven't progressed to having multiple levels of magic yet, so I can't try.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zushio posted:

Anything for Resident Evil 7? Checked the wiki and no mention. Seems like a game where blind overall is best maybe?
I would agree with that. RE7 is one of those games that has a lot of interesting and fresh little surprises for those players who are used to older entries in the series. The newness and the way it does a lot of things differently is probably the most appealing thing about it. I would at least try to play it entirely blind for a while before looking up more information.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for ELEX? Specifically regarding good/bad skills and joining factions; I've played the Gothic and Risen games so I know these are kind of the sticky points of Piranha design.
My biggest personal recommendation would to cheat your rear end off, at least for your first runthrough. As you've said yourself, it's a standard Piranha Bytes game, which means that it's oodles more dependent on gear for combat than on any stat or skill in the game.

Basically everything you know about the Gothic series applies here. Even with perfect stats and infinite skill points, your ability to improve your combat strength will be substantially limited by how much money you're capable of sinking into skill training and better gear. This game is hard and you'll still die quickly and often. It actually won't break the difficulty curve nearly as badly as you think and you'll still be wanting to replay the game multiple times to see all faction quests, so don't restrict yourself from being able to access all content available to you by playing "fair."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

As a general rule, the type of equipment your build would want has no requirements for the stats that you don't use. Pure melee will be pure strength, while caster gear will be int and/or spirit. Dex is one of the swing stats because a limited amount of ranged capability supplements many types of builds.

Since you'll get a large part of your stats from investing skill point into your class level rather stat point into your general stats, this tends not to be a problem in either direction.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Alright thanks. I started in Warfare since I wanted to smash things hard and noticed it only gave me Strength and Dex while I was finding a good amount of upgrades that had Int requirements, but I guess that's just due to being so early in the game that any stat bonus is technically an upgrade.
Yeah, pretty much. It's not until the second act that you really start getting the better and more class-differentiated stuff, which will be a while yet for you. This game is ridiculously long if you choose not to rush. You'll also be getting a second class that can either amplify what you already have or hybridize you into something entirely different with requirement of its own, so you really have all the choices in the world available to you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Never played a Far Cry before, but a video by Noah Caldwell Gervais reminded me of my free copy of Blood Dragon. Anything annoying or untoward I should know about?
It's a pastiche of 80s action B-movies with all that implies, so don't expect it to be serious or to make any sense. It's a side game to Far Cry 3 the studio put out more or less for the hell of it, so it's comparatively more shallow than its parent game.

Otherwise, it's a pretty bog-standard open world first person shooter with leveling mechanics and all that usual Ubisoft crap. If you've ever played the Ubisoft Game (you know, the one they've been remaking over and over since Assassins' Creed 1) then you pretty much already know everything there is to know, the basic mechanics of the game are pretty much just the usual.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

Might & Magic VII? Gonna try to get through some of my GOG backlog and that's what random chance chose

As part of the main quest plotline, you will need to make a decision between two sides at one point. If you find yourself stuck and it seems as if there is no way for you to progress anymore, travel back to Harmondale and see if that doesn't trigger it for you. The quest is a bit random and glitchy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

For clarification, are you talking about the original VtM: Redemption game or are you talking about VtM: Bloodlines? Because that'll probably need a very different solution to the problem, seeing as it's much older.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kanfy posted:

The "less that 15mb memory available" bug is specifically a known Bloodlines issue so I highly doubt it's about Redemption.
A 15mb error sounded like something from about that era, from what I remember of when I played Redemption, so I figured it would be better to make sure.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Obvious enough to not be worth mentioning" is always kind of an iffy proposition because there's a pretty big difference between "obvious to someone who has played the series before and is just looking for extra tips for this particular game" and "obvious to someone who has never played a game like this at all."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

For Witcher 2, does "human" in terms of equipment apply to elves/dwarves as well? Will my "Does more damage to humans" oil work when i'm fighting these loving waterfall elves?
"Adds damage against humans" pretty much means "as opposed to 'against monsters.'"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RatHat posted:

Since Dead Cells is coming out August 7th on basically all platforms, any tips you guys have picked up from the PC Early Access?
If you feel like you no longer can keep up with the power levels of the enemies, just kill yourself and start over. Due to the structure of the game, the power level of enemies is directly dependent on what level you're in, but you have no way of growing stronger except for the randomly-generated power ups that are scattered through all the levels. If you don't get enough of these spawned, it's easy to fall behind the curve, which means you're staying behind the curve permanently.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Anything for Middle Earth: Shadow of War? I've played Shadow of Mordor back when that came out, and now they've removed the manipulative gatcha game bullshit I thought I'd give the sequel a try. I'm a couple of hours in and its just not hooking me the same way the first one did. I'm assuming that (much like the first) I should more or less mainline the story until they unlock branding?
One important thing to know that I rarely see mentioned: the level of runes and/or items that orcs drop is dependent on your level, not theirs. Level 5 orcs will drop level 60 legendaries so long as your own level is maxed out. It's kind of annoying, makes it feel a bit like punching above your weight level isn't really worth it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't had a lot of trouble with that myself, because I didn't really make much of a point of recruiting too many orcs close to or equal to my own level and usually outpaced them as a consequence, but yeah, supposedly that's a pretty big problem if you push against the level barrier too much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Thats good to know, I think one of the early areas does have a "Level 11 (legendary)" orc, that makes him worth going after. Also explains why I was so dissapointed when the loot dropped from a captain a clear 7 levels above (who was immmune to almost everything, had a gang of those troll looking orcs and called more if if I killed them) me was so mediocre.
Yeah, it kind of sucks. It's nearly always worth going after the purples, because legendaries can be upgraded infinitely and therefore always scale with your own level, at least as long as you have the money for it. As such, never sell them ever. Uncommon or Epic captains (blue and orange, I think?) are something you might want to keep around until you enter a new zone and/or feel you've reached a power level where an upgrade is absolutely necessary, though. You'll always get better stuff the longer you wait, no matter where you are.

SiKboy posted:

I loved Shadow of Mordor but I think the problem with Shadow of War is simply there are too many orcs and I'm cutting through them at such a rate that none of them make much of an impact, especially as sheer numbers means I'm seeing repeated parts more frequently ("Oh look, its another skinny hunter with a metal bird skull helmet. Whats he not immune to? Okay, thats him dead.")
It may sound counterintuitive, but it's actually a good idea to let an interesting captain kill you every now and again. The Nemesis system (the part of the game that makes up special recurring orcs who have history with you) depends on player deaths to determine who gets to be your Nemesis for the zone. If you want more interesting, unpredictable or plain funny stuff to happen to you? Die a lot. I only realized that after getting through most of the game without dying more than twice or so, which made for a very bland experience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Frostpunk:

Expeditions travel twice as fast when their destination is known, so travel to a distant known location before spurring off to explore. The direct path back is fine.
This kind of little thing is what I read this thread for. Holy poo poo but this is going to save me so much time, in the long run.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 14, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

-Build your weapons around complimenting stats from other weapons. If you can set something on fire, roll for +damage to targets on fire & +oil streaks etc,.
This is a big one, take note of that advice in particular. Exploiting weapon synergies will allow you punch above your weight class to a ridiculous degree. Your effective damage, DPS style, can be a whole lot higher than what the displayed stats will tell you it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any mod for Tales of Berseria to really knock down settings? I can play Sniper Elite 4 seemingly fine but Tales From Berseria seems to run slow enough to be painful while still being technically playable.
It might be worth checking for incompatibilities or driver conflicts on your end, because that game really shouldn't be visually demanding enough to produce slowdowns when a game like Sniper Elite doesn't. Might be the game just doesn't play nice with your system. I upgraded to a GTX 1070 a while ago and have had strange and seemingly completely arbitrary issues with random games ever since.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...does that also work on time doors? Because, you know, gently caress those things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Aw, bugger. I guess it was too good to be true, anyway. Those things have been a persistent annoyance to me for as long as I've been playing that game. It just seems like such a bad design decision. There's nearly always something really good behind those things, but it's practically never worth what you'll lose by not fully exploring previous levels for any permanent upgrades that might be hidden deeper in side branches.

It makes the entire thing feel like a newbie trap. It's absolutely not ever worth rushing for them at the expense of stat ups, they're just there to make you feel like you ought to. It's kind of pointless for those things to even exist.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This is a bad take. Enemies get stronger when you acquire stat ups, so missing them isn't really a big deal.
...they do? Okay, I guess I really missed a lot since early access, because that very much didn't used to be the case. It used to be that enemy strength was directly tied to which zone you were in and completely independent from your own character's power progression, so missing even a single stat-up wasn't just a bad thing, it was often outright crippling. If that has changed, then I suppose the time doors are a valid alternative for people who prefer to do rushes instead of picking through everything more slowly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The mechanics for how it works are still muddy, but there has been testing that shows concrete proof of scaling to players stats.
Thanks for the warning, then. I gotta say, that really kind of ruins the fun a bit. The finished version did a lot to fix the previous problems with the stat system, but I really loathe level scaling. It makes getting stronger feel really pointless, because in relative terms, you never actually do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The absence of the classic Bullfrog sprite style in favour of more sterile and generic 3D graphics does take away a bit from its charm, though. The goofiness did a lot towards making that game fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Got another persona 5 question. Is it possible/feasible to max all confidants out on a single new game plus run?
It is completely possible to do this even without a NG+ at all and do it right on your first playthrough, but let me speak from experience as someone who tried to do the same thing in Persona 4 and tell you that it isn't very fun. You need to follow a pretty tight schedule and will only get to visit dungeons during the plot-mandated sections, which you'll then have to finish in one sitting.

If you want to actually experience the game and enjoy yourself doing it, don't try.