Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That is definitely a good idea. There are a lot of crafting combinations that you can enter into a fabricator to produce certain things, some of them incredibly valuable and some of them not so much. There are sortable Google Docs lists that are linked on the NMS wiki, I would suggest making use of these.

And yeah, the game has gone through tons of changes since release, way too many of them to really list them all. One recommendation I would give is to install a translation mod or something like that - in-game word-finding is a thankless grind and hardly any NPC ever has anything useful to say anyway, so at best it's tedious busywork for little gain.

One new thing is that after you have played for... I think three hours in a single session you can travel to a new system and there will be an armada of pirates attacking a trade convoy. That convoy is important and if you save it, the captain of the freighter will gift it to you when you talk to him. It's basically a free mobile base that you can call into the orbit of most planets. I think you get that opportunity repeatedly if you don't take it right away, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Otherwise, I think you might be better off with a proper walkthrough, because the game is stupid complex and full of various semi-hidden systems that would go way beyond the scope of this thread to list them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That part, annoyingly, hasn't changed. The game will always dump you on a planet with damaging atmosphere to start with. My personal recommendation there would be to beeline for your "crashed ship" symbol as quickly as you can because the game only really starts once you get there. While you do that, pick up yellow plants whenever they are reasonably on the way because you can use the Sodium to restore your environmental shielding through your player menu.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The one exception are golden stones, but those are plot-only, so you can safely ignore them for everything else.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If he's sending you to Port Knot City then the game is warning you because a major boss fight should be waiting for you there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think only a handful of things are really, truly permanently missable at all. Most of these are fetch quests that fall off the roster because the character offering them ceases to be available due to story reasons. You'll be 20+ hours into the game and at the real point of no return (or, at least, point-after-which-begins-the-postgame) before that really becomes relevant.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No kidding. That really comes out of nowhere like crazy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The new Trials Of Mana game should probably get dibs on that name, since it seems Seiken Densetsu 3 didn't really got a proper translation for the longest time and when it did, it was as Secret of Mana 2, Final Fantasy style.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BrightWing posted:

...I should play this.
Everyone should. The Yakuza series is already an experience, but Like A Dragon takes that and then cranks it up another few notches.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You could be excused for thinking it's a spinoff title, really. I certainly thought it was until I looked it up just now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Mantis Lords are sadly kind of mandatory and meant to be a pure test of your mastery of the combat system up to that point, because they're how you get the wall-climbing ability that actually allows you to progress further into the game. For what it's worth, though, they're incredibly easy to simply memorize, because all they've got is a few distinct and massively telegraphed attack patterns and that's basically it. They're fast and hit like trucks, but they're also pretty much the most predictable boss fight in the game. The game expects you to pick up on that sort of thing and make the most of the intentional weaknesses in their patterns that it it gives to the bosses, so it's something you'll just have to figure out how to deal with. Use the gaps to heal, hit them when they can't punish you for it, and play it safe whenever you're not sure. You'll figure it out soon enough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It doesn't really hurt to find the Dream Nail early just in general. In the most recent versions of the game, it eventually gives you a placeable teleport marker if you collect enough essence, which is practically worth the trip just by itself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I assume you've already done so, but be sure to get the nail upgrade(s?) that you can in the City before trying some of those bosses. They are early checks but they (especially the Lords) should be very doable with a better nail. For what it's worth Soul Master was a boss I was super frustrated with but was eventually able to learn the tells to a point where I could usually fight him without getting hit.
I think most of these require more Pale Ore than you just can access if you don't even have the climbing hook yet. At best they can probably get a single upgrade, but that's still a pretty noticeable increase in damage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure what you mean by "break the game." If you mean that in terms of scripting or whatever, then the answer is not at all. The story mode is basically just ultra-low difficulty with massive bonuses to you and equally massive penalties for enemies. The result is that you're about four times stronger on average when compared to the enemies of the same level as you would be on normal. It's about as easy as you could ask for without being outright godmode.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nyeehg posted:

In any event thanks for explaining divinity 2s story mode difficulty. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for :v:
I'd say so. The worst problem you'll likely have to deal with is boredom. The game might not present itself that way, but it is fairly combat-heavy, and the turn-based nature of it makes even a cakewalk through enemies that crumple like tissue paper a bit of a slog. There are enough encounters that you'll feel how much that format makes fights that would be over in seconds in a more dynamic system stretch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey...
"Standard SMT rules, then" was my first thought to that as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Taeke posted:

Wait, I thought it was good to start on a hill because it gives you an extra hammer? Or is that just Civ 6?
No, it does. Hills are generally considered very good places to settle, so I'm a bit confused as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Taerkar posted:

The big downside to building on a hill is that you can't build the windmill improvement in that city later on, which can be a big hammer boost once you have the tech for it. It's a mid-game tech though so there's a question of an extra hammer early on where hammers are fairly rare, or more hammers later on when the multipliers start to become a really big thing.
I tend to think that if you're not Austria then the windmill improvement tends not to have the staying power to make up for the boost that the extra hammer gives you, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not enough of one that it should override long-term considerations like overall placement and good access to luxury resources, no.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose that's probably something you already know since it is part of the selling point of the game, but in case you don't: the narrative is non-linear and chronologically out of order, so expect to see a lot of things that will not make sense right away and may in fact not make sense until a second playthrough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Paper Tiger posted:

I picked up the STALKER series as part of the Steam autumn sale. Is there anything I need to know for Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky, or can I just apply what the wiki has for Call of Pripyat (aside from clearly CoP-specific stuff)? Recommendations for stability/QoL mods (if any) would be great too.
There's a page for Shadow of Chernobyl here, it's just badly named: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=STALKER:_Shadow_Of_Chernobyl

By and large, though, the games are very similar. There's mostly nothing that wouldn't work in one of them which wouldn't also work in the rest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pay close attention to your energy. For your first few missions, it's going to be the biggest limiting factor because scanning is important and you don't get many easy ways to restore it. Carry batteries whenever you can, because having to cancel a mission for lack of energy can easily leave you in a downwards spiral where you end up stuck because you money to buy energy and no energy to earn money with.

Also, the game is very repetitive, so if at any point you feel a sense of "so, that's it?" you've pretty much reached the point where you've seen everything the game has to offer. At that point, you should only keep going if you really enjoy the gameplay for its own sake.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The game calls them the same thing, but as mentioned, there is a separate kind of backstab. They do require charging up your attack beforehand, which makes them effectively useless in combat and something that you can really only pull off in specific circumstances. For all intents and purposes, backstabbing in the Dark Souls sense is not a part of the game.

Parrying in Bloodborne is very interesting and in a lot of ways it's easier than in its predecessor games, because not having to pay attention to your positioning means you can pay a lot more time to your timing. If you equip the right kind of gun, your parries also happen near-instantly, as opposed to in the middle of a relatively slow shield swing, so parrying is not only in the game, it's also very powerful and something that you should try to master as soon as possible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, you can definitely also do it without parrying at all, and some guns are in fact meant for shooting and hurting things rather than to parry with. It's incredibly powerful, though, and the game goes out of its way to make it easy for you. Even bosses can be parried and visceraled. The basic gameplay formula of Bloodborne is what they refined to make Sekiro in a lot of ways.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Got Rebel Galaxy for a couple bucks in the steam sale.

Is it best played with a controller or mouse and keyboard? I'm fine with either.
I'd personally suggest a controller. It's overall a fairly simply game and the "Sid Meier's Pirates!" style of naval combat works well with controllers. If it doesn't work for you, you can still switch, but that's my recommendation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I recall there being some kind of issue if you have too many permanent save files at a time, so I'd clear them out every so often if you hit ~30 save files or more, but even hitting quicksave literally every five minutes will do nothing to harm your game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't worry too much, though. Skyrim is pretty much the most stable Bethesda game I've ever played even when I stuffed it full of literally a hundred mods or more, so chances are that it won't ever become a problem for you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anybody got something for Hellpoint? The game seems to be basically what I wanted Immortal Unchained to be, but it's also confusing as gently caress and basically doesn't tell you anything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something for Bugsnax that only gets explained in an optional sidequest;

The Tripshot can conduct elements. Place it in water, it won't ignite on contact with a flaming Bugsnax. Set it on fire, burning tripwire for frozen Bugsnax.
You actually don't even need to place it in water. Just shoot at a puddle first before using it on something else. The projectile doesn't even have to attach, just come into contact with the flame or liquid. It really expands your range.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Resonance of Fate wiki puts it like this:

quote:

Colored Energy Hexes on the other hand, can accomplish what the white ones does, as well as power up terminals. However there are a few disadvantages to these: They are much more rare, each color only has one shape, and they can only be first placed near either a locked hex with the same color or next to a Colored Energy Station. Each color can also be overwritten by other colored hexes, if you choose to change it.
Basically, they're both more rare and more difficult to place, so you don't want to use them up too quickly or without planning ahead a little.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmkay, so I'm good to go if I go wild with whites, but save up colored hexes for when I have a specific use for 'em?
Basically. They're just there to get you where you need to go and don't do much in and of themselves. They can't power up terminals at all, so never completely surround those with whites.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Im playing through Cross:Code and should I be doing all of these side quests? What about these trade offers? A lot of it feels overwhelming when just starting out without getting into the flow of the game.
The trade offers you can ignore if you want to, in reality they're more like the game's crafting system - you collect a bunch of raw materials in the wild and then turn it into better stuff at the trader's. Largely, everything you find in one zone will be superseded by the stuff that you find in the next, it's standard RPG behaviour in that sense.

The side quests can be fun little things and sometimes give you stuff you can't find anywhere else, but you still don't have to do them. I like to scatter them in just because I find them entertaining, but the game works fine even if you don't. I hear some can even end up giving you things like new NPC followers to contact, though, so you might want to do those at least.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, it definitely doesn't hurt. Just never consider it obligatory if you don't feel like it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it covers pretty much everything that is important.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, Yoko Taro has a bit of a thing for using New Game Plus as an integral storytelling mechanic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Did they increase the drop rates for single player in Borderlands 3? As compared to the previous games I mean.
They did, from what I've heard. Most people seem to agree that they're actually pretty good now and that legendaries and such drop with some regularity just from regular play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

What should I know before playing Might and Magic VII: For blood and honor?
Trying to get good magic coverage is especially important, so playing a class spread like Knight/Knight/Rogue/Rogue is highly challenging to outright crippling. Based on what you select during a major mid-game story split, your characters will be able to perform class-evolution quests that will provide new abilities and increase their maximum mastery rank for their most important skills, so look up what each one gets first before committing to a lineup.

Trying to get a good coverage in elemental skills and Light/Dark magic is particularly important here. You absolutely want Grandmaster Water Magic on at least one character for the absolutely essential Lloyd's Beacon and Grandmaster Town Portal spells, for example. If you do not have these available to you, the lategame will quickly become something that is somewhere between frustrating to painful to handle.

As such, I would recommend looking at a wiki like this one and checking what the various magic schools have to offer and what character classes would be able to cover for each other's weaknesses there. You can get away with nearly everything else, but a bad skill spread and lack of the essentials can shut down an entire run once the difficulty starts to increase.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I see, it's actually necessary to be able to get at least one grandmaster in every school of magic, water aside? The default party of Knight/thief/cleric/sorcerer seems pretty good and it covers all magic skills.
Oh no, not all of them. Some you can completely do without, it always depends a bit on which game of the trilogy you're playing and how they balanced the resistances. Since we're talking Blood and Honor, there isn't a lot of point to Grandmaster Mind Magic (for example) even if you can get it, as far as I remember ever using it.

If you take the standard class spread of Something/Something/Cleric/Sorcerer, you will get someone capable of grandmastering every school of magic by default, though, so there are some very solid arguments for going with that. You can't particularly go wrong with it. I would maybe use a Paladin instead of Knight, personally, because they make good off-healers once they get their class-ups, but otherwise you won't go wrong with that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is that for the original Eador or the remake?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pierzak posted:

the remake is called Masters of the Broken World.
I just figured I'd ask. I never see anyone actually call it that, just "old Eador" and "new Eador."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pierzak posted:

That might get confusing, since there's another "new Eador" called Eador: Imperium :v:
Yeah, it does, actually. :v: