Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Any tips for the first Witcher game?

The plot is confusing on purpose, don't be discouraged when seemingly plot-critical things happen without warning and context. You have amnesia after all. In-game books and your journal help a lot. It gets better towards the end.

Your choices and also non-choices may matter. You may want to keep multiple saves in case you accidentally trigger something you don't want to ("I thought this dialogue option would mean I interrogate BaddieMcBaddie but instead Geralt challenged him to combat!") but in general screwing up only makes the game more immersive.

Voice acting is a lot better when you don't look at the expressionless faces and stupid idle animations. I ended up staring at the side of the screen every time there was dialogue going on. It was hard to adjust to Witcher 2, where they animated the actual conversation that's going on and looking at the screen was again enjoyable.

You can't be 100% completionist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Crusader Kings 2 if I never played a Paradox game? The wiki entry is pretty sparse.

(Disclaimer: I haven't played the new DLC that just came out)

Ireland is an okay start for learning, at least in 1066. You are independent and don't have any too powerful neighbours immediately.

Read tooltips, they're pretty good.

You have major alerts shown in the top of the screen pretty prominently. Do sweat about those but you will basically never clear them all off nor do you need to. If you lack a heir or become landless, it's a game over so those do need taking care of.

I think the Beginner's Guide of the wiki is quite okay in describing what some symbols and basic things are but the advice it gives seems to be a mixed back of basics and advanced (optional even) things. I'd read tooltips.

A badly outdated but still a good LP for explaining the UI: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 25, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Now for a question myself: For The Witcher 2, are there any trap skills/skill trees you can put points into? Or rather ones that aren't very good? The game also recommended easy for me, so should I follow that suggestion? Finally, how nicely does the game play with a controller? Figured it might actually be simpler to play with one since there's hotkeys all over the place for the assorted signs (press 8 to cast this, etc.)

I've played Witcher 2 only once but my experience is that if you haven't started it already, go for the hardest difficulty no matter what the game recommends. All the Witcher games start out pretty hard but if you manage to teach yourself how to play properly, the endgame will be enjoyable instead of boringly easy. You will die a lot all the time, even to seemingly easy enemies (it think I retried the first proper boss like 15 times) but when the game progressed, it became a game where I died if I was reckless and survived if I prepared and focused. Do note that I assume you have experience in gaming in general and that you want to play the alchemy game since it will be mandatory. Since I only played through once I can't say for sure but I think you have to try to screw up the skill tree. Usually in games like this the jack-of-all-trades approach is inferior but I had no problem with it myself.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 27, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about that; there is a boss fight that's an absolute bitch at the end of chapter 1. I mean, yeah, you can learn how to deal with every attack but it will be pretty drat frustrating.

Yeah, that is the hurdle. First boss in Witcher 1 was really tough on hard as well, ditto Witcher 3. I agree 2 was easily the worst though. In each of the games it was the hardest challenge in the entire game, however and the later game was worth it.

Well, okay, there's one other boss like that too now that I think about it. The story is great nevertheless but if you don't want to sweat and swear at times, there's no shame in going below the hardest.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I'm playing Witcher 2 on the easiest difficulty because I killed zero things in the tutorial battle and I'm okay with that

It's a single-player game, what am I gonna prove

I killed 0 enemies in the tutorial as well and enjoyed the hardest difficulty. So yeah, your mileage may vary but I have no doubt I would have liked the game less on easy. Which would still mean it would be one if the best stories I've played through in recent years. The only thing you can do wrong is to assume that the tutorial is in any way fair to throw at a new player. :)

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I suppose this is spoiler-free enough a place to ask: The Witcher 3 expansions can be played after the main plot is resolved without the story becoming weird, right? I've not quite finished the main game but I will pick it up after Christmas again and I only care about the story and not about any powerful weapons or whatever the expansions might bring. Please don't even hint at what happens in the endgame.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Centipeed posted:

I bought Witcher 3, and it's great. I'd avoided it for a long time because Western RPGs are a gazillion hours long and I usually get burned out.

With that in mind, I wanted to run through JUST the main quest, in this game, to make sure I at least finish it.

But then I finished up White Orchard, and moved to the next area, and saw that I was two levels lower than the recommended level.

So I went back to White Orchard and cleared it, as the wiki suggests. I'm not planning to do that for every area, but how feasible is it to run through just the main quest line and not get in a lot of trouble in terms of combat?

I did pretty much everything I could, while role-playing Geralt and not reloading most botched sidequests, and I ended around 5-6 levels a above the recommendation level. Sidequests stop giving meaningful xp pretty soon as you overlevel them. Most of the xp comes from the main questline. I'd wager you'd be fine but let me just say that every quest in the game tells a story and pretty much each and every of them is worth it if you like the story. Hunting for every single question mark and piece of witcher equipment is pretty repetitive though.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Try to have as many gods represented on your ring as possible. Having a trickster (worshipper of Issares, I think) can cause problems because they are pricks, but gives you alot of powerful options for dealing with problems.

Eurmal. Issaries is the trading god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I've got a couple questions regarding Final Fantasy IX:
1. The wiki says to keep items since I'll want to teach their abilities to characters I unlock later, but I just walked into a tutorial on synthesis; does this mean that if I want to obtain new items, I need to buy extra copies of the old ones or is it generally safe to skip synthesizing and unlock the items by progressing in the game? Just how important synthesis is?

2. The card game seems pretty impenetrable; how important is it? From what I vaguely recall from years and years ago, it was a pretty big deal in VIII...

Synthesizing gets you pretty much the best items in game. If you have money, it's advisable to buy a couple of copies. That being said, there are very few items that don't have extra copies available in stores or that cannot be stolen from bosses. You can almost always come back later to the shop or you run into another shop that sells the items. Unless you are being perfectionist, there's no need to sweat it but synth shops are one of the best investments in the game in my opinion.

I'm probably in the minority but I like the card game a lot. There's some mandatory card play at one point but it doesn't require huge investments of time. If you do like it, there's lots of cards to collect and small sidequests to do.