Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Dragon Quest V info on the wiki is pretty light. Came across the DS version of this and figured I'd play it while my PS4 is getting repaired. Anything I should know with regards party makeup or classes to avoid and so on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

DQV stuff
Excellent. Thank you!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

The best way to play any Deus Ex game is to be stealthy right up to the point where you get detected or poo poo hits the fan, then kill your way out of it without saving ever.
Agreed. This is exactly how I've played every Deus Ex game.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Anything for Final Fantasy 3 that isn't in the wiki? DS version, if that matters.

More specific questions:

If I have a spell in my inventory and equip to a character can I ever remove it and give it to someone else?

Is it job levels or character levels that increase Strength, agility etc?

The status screen says For Next Level: xxx. Is that necessary exp for character or job level? The way it's lined up it looks like character level. How do you know how close you are to your next job level?

Do I retain everything learned in a previous job when I change?

Does this game just expect me to grind like crazy? I know it's an old game, but I just wandered into Mythirl Cave (first dungeon basically) and got destroyed by skeletons. It wasn't even a contest. They're hitting me for like 40 hp a swing and I'm doing maybe 6.

There are a lot of systems in this game that aren't explained very well at all.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Bravely Default
I appreciate the recommendation. I've already played Bravely, however. I've just been looking for something to play while I wait for DS3 to come out.

Ok, thanks for all of this. I appreciate you answering my questions.

As for not playing or getting a refund - I didn't buy the game. Was going through my sons shoebox of old games and found the DS cart at the bottom. I think it's the only FF out of 1-7 that I never played. It sounds horrible from the way you describe. I'll see how far I can get before I rage quit.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Ok, I loving hate FF3 at this point. I've played my fair share of bullshit games (Life Force, I'm looking at you) but this game is just straight up "gently caress off everything that was ever wrong with any RPG ever made" levels of bullshit. I'm so irritated right now I can't even articulate what I hate about it most. Tower of Owen can go gently caress itself with an Onion Blade.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Games > "What should I know before I play this game?" Don't play Final Fantasy III

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Kind of a bad question, because the game has been out for 24 hours, but I expect someone has already dug into the mechanics: In Dark Souls 3, are there any trap stats, like Agility in DS 2?

I don't want to dive into the thread here or look the answer online, because I've come unspoiled to this one, for once.
You can also respec something like 5 times per NG cycle, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Anything for Steamworld Heist? Doesn't look like a page even exists for it on the wiki.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Metal Gear Solid 3. Anything I should know for the 3DS version? Looks like the tips were written for the PS2 version. Are there any major differences? I've never played a Metal Gear game aside from the very first NES game and a bit of 5.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Darksiders 3
Yeah it’s new and it doesn’t seem like very many people are playing it, but does anyone here know what the point of no return is? It feels like I’m getting close to the end with only 2 Sins left to kill, but I was wondering if there was an obvious “go back and finish all collecting and exploring before you do..” point??

To add a couple of things that weren’t immediately obvious to me when I started:

Nephelim’s Respite works like Estus Flasks do. Don’t waste souls on buying healing items from Vulgrim.

Weapon enhancements can be easily swapped to another weapon with no penalty, so don’t worry about where you stick them.

If you die your souls can be found floating near the spot you died, and you have two deaths to reclaim them before they disappear forever.

Also, I know this isn’t really the thread for this, but I can’t believe this game has been getting poo poo on so hard. It’s actually pretty drat good and I’ve only had one instance of buggy/sound popping in and out in ~12 hours of play on a PS4 pro, so I’m not seeing any of the complaints about terrible bugs and crashes.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Centipeed posted:

Must have missed them - they've been added now.

I've just started playing Darksiders 3 - any tips specifically on how to break the game/cheese it? I'm not used to playing games where I have to be so careful, so I'd like to get closer to the "button mash all the enemies" setup of the first two games.

I haven’t found a way to completely break the game in half yet, but:

Socket the Barbs of Scorn with the Chaos Fortifier and upgrade it along the Angelic path

Socket the Chains of Scorn with the Marauder Fortifier and upgrade it along the Angelic Path

And you’ll pretty much never run out of health or Nephelim’s Respite. Just remember to finish enemies off with the Chains to snag the Respite refill.

I’d also recommend upgrading the Barbs first, unless you really like the move sets of the other weapons. It’s hard to beat that reach and the damage scales nicely.

Also, this is playing on Balanced (Normal). No idea yet if any of this holds up for higher difficulties.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have anything for Aliens Infestation? Doesn’t look like there’s even an entry for it on the site. If not, I’ll type up anything that seems pertinent when I get further in.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I don’t know if this is enough to even bother with an entry for, because the game is really straight forward, but here are a couple of things regarding Aliens Infestation.

Ammo, grenade, and health boxes continuously respawn. Don’t worry about grabbing a box if you only need to top off 5/6 grenades.

Perma-death exists in this game, but you can pause & quit before death to save marines. Abuse this, as the boss runs are fairly easy.

Run through everything once you know the area layout. Xenomorphs, androids and enemy soldiers can almost always just be run past once you know where you’re going. You don’t have to fight all of them.

Right trigger is sprint. I bought the game used without a manual, so it wasn’t immediately obvious that there was a sprint button.

Weapon upgrades are automatically applied to whatever weapon you currently have equipped. Upgrades are found like any other ammo or health box, but if you step on it it will immediately upgrade the weapon you’ve been using with no choice to apply it to another weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
There is only one APC sequence and yeah you’re right. It is probably the most terribly implemented on-rails shooting sequence I have ever played.