Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ori Definitive is pretty drat great, yeah. It solves every issue with missables that original Ori had. Some of the achievements are still missable by their very nature (like beat the game without dying or within a certain time limit), but all the in-game collecting and exploring is completely open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Regulation Size posted:

You need to have killed both Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon to fight the real Final Boss.

Only the first of those, though beating the second of those makes the first of those an easier fight. I speak from experience having just run through the game in co-op about two months back; I beat both bosses, my buddy only beat the first, we both got to fight the real final boss.

You also have to have had a number of NPC chats along the way, but so long as you've lit all four great-soul-boss primal bonfires and have been sensibly lighting bonfires in the rest of the game afterward, you'll get those automatically. (You can more easily miss out on primal bonfires though, especially the one after The Rotten since the door leading from the boss room to that one blends in pretty drat well.)

Gerblyn posted:

If you've farmed out an enemy and you want to bring him back, you can do it by burning a Bonfire Ascetic in the area's bonfire, this will reset all the enemies, including the boss, but will also raise their difficulty as if you were in New Game+.

As noted in the other reply, joining the Covenant of Champions will let you farm to your heart's content as even farmed-out despawned enemies will respawn just fine. Switch to another covenant (or no covenant) when you're done farming the specific enemy you want to farm, and it'll go back to being gone and out of your hair. (I don't know if you can farm things out as CoC - that is, if it wasn't farmed-out before, then you kill it a shitload as CoC, would it be farmed-out afterward? Depends on whether CoC freezes the counter in addition to ignoring its effects, I guess.)

Anyway, my addition: like with the first Dark Souls, the DLC content is notably better than the base-game content, especially when it comes to interesting level design. Each DLC has a Designated Co-op Area, and in all three cases you can safely ignore those because they varyingly suck. (Okay, the trio boss is kinda interesting, albeit unrewarding. The second and third DLC's Designated Co-op Bosses, on the other hand, are very uninspired.)

Vil fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 8, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

baram. posted:

if you're playing final fantasy iii 3ds stop. it's the worst version and the balance is all hosed up.

NB that this applies to any mobile or Steam versions as well. If it's got 3d polygonal graphics rather than super-old-school sprites, it's the One Not To Play.

That's not to say it's a total unredeemable sack of garbage, mind you, but it does have substantial gameplay balance issues. It's actually quite impressive that they took a game from the Nintendo, system famed for its, ah, punishing game balance, and made several mechanics worse.

Visually, of course, it's a huge improvement.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Most important thing to know about DS2 is that rolling sucks so you want to get your adaptability up to raise agility to about 100 asap

Or if you're a caster (or even a non-caster who plans to take a handful of utility spells), attunement also raises agility, so raise attunement as much as you plan to and then pad out the rest of your needed agility by raising adaptability. Adaptability does raise agility more effectively in a vacuum, but if you're getting some anyway from attunement, no need to overshoot the mark by raising adaptability first.

Some other things:

Unlike DS1 and DS3, equipment durability is A Real Thing To Think About. There are various ways to deal with it, but early on your main method should be "have some backup weapons on hand and switch around what you're hitting things with so nothing fully breaks". Anything that's damaged but unbroken will be fixed by resting at a bonfire or a co-op win, but anything that's fully broken can only be fixed with a blacksmith NPC for a fee in souls.

Speaking of co-op, it's enormously helpful for sustainability. In the first real area, Forest of the Fallen Giants, when you get to the main bonfire (Cardinal Tower iirc), head upstairs and smack down the "locked" door. (Alternatively wait until after the first boss and just unlock it, but what fun is that?) Beyond it you'll find a small white soapstone. Elsewhere in that zone you can do a mini quest for an NPC named Pate, who'll reward you with the regular white soapstone.

Small soapstone co-op lasts for X kills (or souls from kills?) or Y minutes and you can be summoned even by people who've killed all the bosses. Regular soapstone co-op lasts until you kill a boss (it may have a time limit too, but if so it's very generous). More to the point, succeeding in either sort of co-op, including the low-commitment easy-qualifications small soapstone co-op, will:

- Make you fully human and unhollowed again
- Refill your health
- Refill all your estus charges
- Refill all your spell charges
- Repair all durability for your (not completely broken) equipped gear

It's basically like resting at a bonfire and using a human effigy without respawning everything or having the option to change your spells or teleport. Needless to say, regularly plunking down a small soapstone sign will work wonders for longevity. Similarly, summon peeps with small soapstone signs for the same reason - you get free help, they get a free bonfire-like restore for helping you.

Don't do this (summon peeps) if you've already murdered everything in the area though, unless you're willing to wait out the small soapstone time limit for them to get their benefits. Also don't do this if you plan to go through a boss room of a boss you've already defeated - that'll kick them out without a reward just like if you'd banished them with black crystal, and kicking out your helpers without letting them get their reward is very poor form.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 18, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Definitive Ori is indeed gloriously free of any and all missables. Except for achievements along the lines of "beat the game without dying". It's a fantastic game for if you just want to jump in and not worry about loving anything up in the long term.

For original Ori, you want to be thorough about exploring and collecting in:

- Ginso Tree
- Misty Woods sequence
- The icy area just before reaching Forlorn Ruins (everything left of the vertical route leading back out to the rest of the world)
- Forlorn Ruins itself

... and finally, do any rest-of-world collecting you plan to do before entering Mt. Horu, because Point Of No Return.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 5, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That's actually a very good analogy, and no wonder I almost always go paragon.

I do think some of the renegade moments are very satisfying though, especially as FemShep, but I have a hard time committing an entire playthrough to acting like that.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Alternatively, just acknowledge that realistically you're just cheesing your way around eating the mako exp loss mechanic anyway if you're doing that, and edit the appropriate line in an .ini file so it simply gives full exp in the first place. Being able to get full exp for combat in the thing is a fitting enough reward for having to put up with driving it (which is a much greater percentage of the time spent in the mako than the time spent fighting in it).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If I recall, the only meal tickets are from the dreams (after the last boss you kill in each world map section) and from buying from goat boy. There isn't an unlimited supply of them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GoneRampant posted:

Also, any starter tips for Persona 4 Golden?

Unless you intend to play the game once and only once, don't stress being super perfectionist about your first playthrough. Most stuff resets, and a number of useful things (like knowledge or courage) carry over into NG+ letting you spend less NG+ time raising them and more time doing stuff that does reset per playthrough. Also, NG+ lets you customize various aspects of difficulty level so you can, say, have more challenging enemies without also being subjected to a more drawn-out grind for experience. You're also not able to challenge the optional bonus superboss until NG+.

This goes double for if you haven't played any flavor of Persona 4 before and you're going into the story totally blind. Incidentally, if this is the case, start keeping backup saves at the beginning of December. (Does Golden let you make backup saves?) There's more than one ending.

Raising party members' social links has gameplay benefits above and beyond the usual benefits of raising social links. Ditto with the fox, but for different reasons. If you want to do some new Golden-exclusive content, then know that the Aeon (Marie) and Jester (Adachi) social links are new to Golden and are therefore also worthy of unusual consideration.

Always Be Fusing. If you've played earlier Persona games where you had to be subjected to the randomness of skill inheritance for fusion, and you had to preview, cancel, preview, cancel, preview, cancel ad nauseum until it finally deigned to offer the inherited skills you wanted, P4G is going to make you very happy by its remarkably sensible change to let you choose.

For high-level hand-wavy fusion goals, try to have specialized personas (e.g. healing, buffing, debuffing, physical damage, ___ elemental damage) though if you can get one that multitasks well, by all means go for it.

(All that said, between persona stat increases and skill cards, it's not as ridiculously unviable as you might think to have a favorite persona and just stick with it forever. But the general intended playstyle is fusing to newer and theoretically better ones, with higher base levels and freshly-fused level bonuses from the respective social link.)

On a related note, buffs and debuffs are good and useful, don't neglect them. Stat-down debuffs work on basically everything, and incapacitation and insta-kills work on more things than you might expect.

If at all possible, bring along a matching persona for social link activities (e.g. one or another Magician persona when raising the Magician social link).

Party members default to AI control but can be changed to manual control like your main character. Take manual control.

Yes, the intro is long and it takes a good while to actually get going into real gameplay, but once you get over that hump the pacing is very reasonable.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Anyone got anything for Tales of Berseria? It's like my fourth JRPG ever, Behind Chrono Trigger, where I never got past the distant future bit, Fire Emblem, and DQ8, and I'm really enjoying it.

There's generally only like 3-4 varieties of random enemy per area, at least so far in my experience (I'm far from finished with the game so this may change). Coincidentally, you can set up 4 attack combos on your controlled character. So, as you meet each new random enemy type in the area, designate one of the combos to be for that enemy, using moves that hit its family and/or weaknesses and avoid hitting its strengths. Flesh out the rest with either your favorite other moves, or moves where you need to up your usage count. Depending on which enemy you happen to be fighting at any given time, then you can just mash the appropriate combo button.

There aren't enormously massive stat differences between gear when taking into account all the various sources of stats, so you'll often want to be using gear you can learn abilities from rather than the gear that gives the absolute highest stat boost. On a related note, learning abilities depends on the grade earned from battle, so anything you can do to improve that (do flashier poo poo in battle, play on harder difficulty, don't substantially gently caress up) will speed up ability-learning.

There's a big pile of achievements/trophies but only one of them, the one to see all the mystic artes, is missable. Because this includes enemy mystic artes that you have one-off opportunities to see in specific boss fights. If you're concerned about such things, look up a guide. The identities of the enemies in question will generally be a case of "no poo poo, duh" by the time you get far enough in the game to start seeing mystic artes from enemies. You don't have to worry about this until you have your full party of 6, so if you're earlier than that don't sweat it.

You can use break souls and mystic artes more liberally than you might think, so don't cautiously save them for bosses or only use break souls when you have 5+ souls. Timing can help a bit with break souls, since you get a soul for getting a kill shot on an enemy (as well as quite a variety of other things, but kill shots are the most predictable).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Point granted. On normal, you can basically just ignore all that and set whatever artes you most need to raise star levels for.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Regulation Size posted:

I get that it's a musou game, but is there anything worth knowing before getting into Hyrule Warriors/Legends?

Sentient Toaster posted:

Seconding this. Additionally I'm largely unfamiliar with musou games. I've played a few, but never really got far into them. This game I like. Advice on How to Fairy would be great too.

If you like playing as a character, maybe give a quick google to look up how they work to make sure you understand all their mechanic/combo quirks. Optimal play isn't anything you need to know, but it helps to know the basics of how a character's mechanics work. For example with Sheik, C1 does different things (most of them cool and good) depending on whether you've most recently done C2, C3, C4, etc. (or none of them: this results in the uncool and ungood C1) since the last time you did C1.

(For musou terminology in general, most characters' attack patterns end with a heavy attack but can have a various number of light attacks before that, and the nature of the heavy attack at the end will change depending on how many light attacks preceded it. So C1 is a heavy attack as the 1st move in the combo, aka a heavy attack by itself, while C4 is a heavy attack as the 4th move, aka three light attacks then the heavy attack.)

Otherwise, the only other thing I'll mention (seeing as it's a musou game and you can repeat stages and nothing's missable) is that if you're playing co-op in story mode, while player 1 has to choose one of the predetermined plot-relevant people for the stage, player 2 can choose any unlocked character they please. Needless to say, this can make things significantly easier if you can just bring in some high-leveled thoroughly-unlocked ringer (who might very well have no motivation to help from a plot perspective) to curbstomp over everything. A corollary of this is that if you want to preserve the challenge, have player 2 stick only to characters player 1 could have chosen from.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You can do most of those on your second playthrough, and on the offchance you miss them then, a chapter select eventually opens up. There's one missable thing in the entire game, one of the bonus endings, but other than that, it's great about making sure you can 100% it with minimal effort.

I think the pod powerup S thing that comes from the golden robots may also be missable, but don't hold me to that. But yes, besides those two, the game's very good about missables and friendly to playing through blind.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

gmq posted:

Is there anything I should know about the Zero Escape games (999 and VLR) before playing them?

Mostly in the interest of not missing out on stuff:

All - play them in order, 999 -> VLR -> ZTD. Later games spoil earlier games.

999 - if this is the Steam version, play in novel mode rather than adventure mode: there's a ton of cool narration you only see in novel mode.

VLR - set puzzle room difficulty to easy and deliberately repeatedly screw up puzzles you drat well know how to solve. Your companions will usually have pretty funny reactions to your incompetence as they spell out the solutions increasingly clearly. (You can hop back in to collect the hard mode rewards later. And no, it does not involve solving every puzzle in the room from scratch again.)

VLR - plot locks aren't the only times that the game reacts to what other branches you've already been down, though they're the most obvious. This is particularly the case in the cyan door routes.

ZTD (not that you asked, but it's part of the series) - probability-based outcomes are legitimately random, so keep trying. And they're never actually as bad as, say, 1/216.

But as far as progressing through the stories and what choices to make? Do whatever the hell you think is best. There's no wrong way to approach it. The in-game flowcharts will give you all the help you need. I'd personally recommend more of a vertical approach until you get stuck, rather than bouncing around between timelines when you can still continue, but you do you.

Vil fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 14, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, Ori Definitive has absolutely no missables whatsoever. Go nuts exploring, let yourself miss stuff, come back later.

One mechanic thing that took a while to click for me is that you make your own save points and probably want to be doing so on a fairly regular basis. There's even an upgrade in one of the skill trees that heals you a little every time you make a new one, eventually letting you effectively convert energy to health at a 0.5 energy to 2 health (or 1 to 4 if you prefer) ratio.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's actually a specific combination you want to take at the start (I think it's take staff, drop sword?) because it'll get you extra MP that you can't otherwise have.

At the start, what you take has a permanent effect. Staff is 2 MP, Shield is 2 item slots, Sword is 1 item slot (and no, it doesn't also give 1 MP to balance out).

Both what you take and what you drop have temporary effects, mainly relating to base stats (more relevant on higher difficulties) and - for what you take - the relative order in which you learn abilities (but you eventually learn everything anyway). But the only permanent effects are MP and item slots which are 100% dictated by what you take, and it doesn't matter what you drop.

Trick Question posted:

Picked up Tales of Berseria when it was on sale. I'm not having a great time, is there any way to make the combat feel better? I've been trying to match my artes to the enemy weaknesses and type, anything beyond that?

On the very easiest difficulty setting, elemental strengths and weaknesses cease to exist entirely. They matter increasingly more as you go up in difficulty. Depending on whether you're struggling with combat being too boringly easy or too obnoxiously hard and/or drawn-out, tweak difficulty to suit your taste.

If you want, you can customize your combos for your controlled character based on the local random enemies, and it's a good idea to do it regardless for bosses. That way you can just spam B-B-B-B for enemy X and A-A-A-A for enemy Y and so on, rather than trying to remember "poo poo, which combo step of which button did I put the strong-vs-undead attack on?". You can tweak this to your heart's content mid-combat.

Try to be at least a little mindful of the actual behavior of the attacks in question beyond their damage types though, so you don't do poo poo like launching an enemy away from you and then doing some close-range attacks at empty air. Sometimes it's worth passing up on hitting all the weaknesses if it means avoiding using some move that doesn't play nicely with the rest of the moves in your combo.

Use your break soul attacks regularly (you can include them mid-combo!), don't save up to the max amount of souls and just chill there. They're good.

Each character has a different playstyle (particularly when you start involving their break soul attacks), so if you don't like playing as one character, try another. Maybe look up a guide of some sort for basic tips on how to play character XYZ effectively.

If you want a shitload of illicit money and cooking ingredients, abuse the ship minigame once it unlocks. The time the ship goes out and consequently when it will return is based on your computer clock which is how it still works when you're not actively playing. But since you can change your computer clock...

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 12, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Another thing, considering that some of the upper tier mystic artes can be a little finicky to use directly, they're arguably a lot easier to pull off in mystic arte chains, where you do the switch character thing that has them fire off a mystic arte as they come in. If you cycle through all six characters like this, characters 1 and 2 in the chain do the tier 1 mystic arte, characters 3 and 4 do the tier 2, and characters 5 and 6 do the tier 3. If a character doesn't have a given tier unlocked (tier 3 unlocks in the final dungeon) they'll use the highest tier they do have.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Final Fantasy IX just dropped on PS4 and I haven't played it in literally 20 years, is there anything not on the wiki to be aware of?

There's a missable items FAQ on GameFAQs. It's short, to the point, and sorted in order of plot availability. Ignore the Excalibur II entry.

The wiki is full of poo poo on the "spirit and speed are not that important" bit, at least as far as spirit is concerned. Spirit:

- Increases critical hit rate
- Increases duration of positive statuses
- Decreases duration of negative statuses
- Increases frequency of Regen healing you
- Decreases frequency of Poison/Venom hurting you

No, it's not the be-all and end-all but it's hardly a dump stat. Its effect on Regen in particular is extremely appreciable given how Regen/Poison and the ATB in general work in this game (Auto-Regen plus any animation of non-trivial length is basically a full heal if your spirit's good).

That said, unless you're inclined to be a spergy min/maxer, don't sweat stats and leveling too much. It's mostly just a thing to bear in mind if you decide to sit down and explicitly level grind, so you get more benefits out of it.

As far as stealing is concerned, realistically, try to steal a good chunk of stuff, but almost everything that can be stolen can eventually be obtained - usually in as much quantity as you like - later on by some other means. (Read: don't forget Zidane's a good attacker too.) If it is unique or limited-quantity, the aforementioned missable items FAQ has got you covered to let you know you should care more.

Most minigames are take-it-or-leave-it. Chocobo Hot and Cold, however, is amazing and rewarding and well worth doing, however, even tying into some sidequests of its own. It's also tied to plot progress, so check back in periodically and see what new chocographs you can dig up.

The game has an awful lot of charm off the main plot-required path. Enjoy loving around, watching ATEs, talking to NPCs, etc. Basically standard JRPG advice of "progressing the plot is the last priority". They did a bang-up job with character animations, including characters who aren't the immediate focus of the scene at the moment. Try to keep half an eye on what characters are doing in the background.

Wrist (buyable in Dali) + Steepled Hat (buyable in Lindblum) synth into Cotton Robe (also in Lindblum) which sells for a net profit. Usually your abuse of this is limited to where the plot will let you go at the moment, but by all means stock up on Wrists and/or Steepled Hats in preparation of future money.

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

im cute posted:

I had a post a little while back about it, let me see if I can find it.

E:

To address your concern directly: some lines of dialogue change toward the end if you've seen more of Adler's letters. There is an achievement tied to finding some, most, and then all of them. They don't really gate off endings; the endings are more concerned with: how much your pals like or hate you, whether you went through the portal at the end, whether you convinced your brother to stay or go and in NG+ and ++, what you said into the radio when they appear

What's different in NG++ than in NG+? You can still get that coda at the very end even in NG+, if you do the stuff in your last spoiler tag correctly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also if the wiki's still going on about how spirit is a garbage stat, ignore that. It's actually got a nice selection of appreciable effects, mostly relating to positive and negative status effects:

- Better chance of inflicting critical hits
- Bad statuses wear off faster
- Good statuses last longer
- Regen ticks more frequently
- Poison and venom tick less frequently
- (And, less interestingly, it increases the damage of Amarant's Spare Change.)

Some important context of this benefit is that FF9 is a game in which Regen is loving godly. So boost your spirit and Regen not only has faster healing per second, but lasts more seconds, even before you get into Auto-Regen setups later on.

That's not to say it's so singlehandedly amazing that it's worth a big sacrifice of one of the more obvious stats, but it's certainly a Thing Worth Having and very much not garbage.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've just started Phantasy Star IV, the first time playing this series. Any tips for a Nintendo kid? I'm a few hours in and I've died for the first time. Not sure if I've got a firm grasp of the skills and battle system.

Use your buffs on bosses. This is the basic suite:

Saner = agility (initiative) boost: all but your super-slow characters will usually go before enemies
Deban/Warla/Blessing = physical defense boost (they don't stack with each other, most recent overwrites earlier)
Barrier = magic defense boost
Shift (single-target)/War Cry (self-target) = physical attack boost

More generally, you've got techniques (which all draw from a shared - and largely finite and hard-to-restore - TP pool) and skills (which have a set number of uses). Except for skills you're particularly attached to for boss fights, feel free to use the other skills on random encounters. Especially the instant-death skills, as well as weaker multi-target skills. (Generally speaking, so long as you're not doing something dumb like using a mech-only instant-death attack against a biological enemy, instant-death attacks work surprisingly well in this game.)

On the technique side of things, if you've played any other RPG ever, you presumably know how to budget your TP (MP equivalent). Bear in mind that this game does not have an equivalent to ethers or elixirs. To restore TP you basically have to get a full heal at an inn or healing pad, though one party member has a TP-restoring skill named Ataraxia.

Steal the Wood Cane that Rune joins with early in the game. It's free (albeit fairly weak) infinite healing if used as an item in battle, which helps longevity, and it's not the only piece of equipment which can be used as an item like that.

More generally speaking, hang on to potentially interesting weapons and shields (especially if they never seemed like an upgrade in the first place - Wren's Pulse guns and Rika's Silver Tusk are more useful than their attack power might imply). Feel free to sell old headgear and armor for cash and inventory space, since most of those are just straight defense upgrades with the occasional minor stat boost here and there, but no more interesting properties than that.

Dual-wielding weapons with different elemental properties (this primarily applies to Rika) works in your favor. The game will roll with whichever element works better for you.

When you're able to cross oceans, knock out the remaining hunters guild sidequests. Some of them are missable if you proceed too far in the plot after that point, and in one case this can include missing out on some top-tier gear or new skill unlocks for one of your party members.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 27, 2018

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Tales of Berseria? The wiki is kinda sparse (and apparently the main character is overpowered?); I'm mostly interested in missable stuff, newbie traps and so on, having never played a Tales game before.

Overall it's actually a very friendly game for missables. The in-game map has friendly green markers which point out interesting things like sidequests and voiced NPC conversations.

I forget if the "sleep at inn" skits are highlighted in this way as well, though I think they may be. There's one of those in the snowy city early on when you've just got Velvet and Rokurou, which gives you a new outfit for Rokurou.

Skits in general presumably have cutoffs, although in the postgame there's a skit viewer that lets you unlock them so that's not a permanent issue.

Probably the easiest missable is seeing all the varieties of boss mystic artes, for the purposes of the one trophy/achievement for seeing all mystic artes. If you don't care about that, don't worry about it.

If you want to be extra completionist although honestly skill-learning isn't that crucial, don't sell or dismantle your last copy of a piece of equipment until all party members who can use it, have learned its skill. (Relevant: there are six party members in total. If you don't have them all yet, keep waiting.)

You can do everything and unlock everything at whatever difficulty level you please, and change difficulty on the fly throughout the game.

Do those "code red hunt" things (for the late-game one that seems like you just can't hurt it, either use reflect-damage techniques available at higher difficulty levels, or set the game to the absolute lowest difficulty level; the rest you should be able to handle on your own at whatever difficulty you prefer). The game has a key-item system called potentites, where various plot points (often bosses) and strong enemies will give you one. These have a variety of passive effects, most of which are at least somewhat useful (though some won't be applicable below a given difficulty level). There are a lot of code red hunts, so consequently there are a lot of potentites from code red hunts.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Anything for La Mulana 2, specifically about permanently missable stuff like there was in the first game?

Specifically for missables:

Use the totem pole set-your-own-warp-point in Ancient Chaos before triggering the Very Clearly Endgame, and don't change it afterward. You'll lose normal access to that section otherwise.

Other useful advice to know:

Do not try to make too much progress in Hall of Malice until you've unlocked the primary door near the grail point (from the other side). Or if you do, don't be a dumbass and save afterward. You're not 100% screwed over, but it'll be a pretty significant slog to get back on track.

Hot springs in the ruins (the ones you have to pay to access) give you hidden temporary buffs, different ones for different hot springs, for a few minutes. A software combo can extend these effects.

It's subtle, but the software screen lets you save software setups. This way you can have one software setup for general exploring with all the miscellaneous utility stuff, and another setup for fighting with all the combat-related software combos but none of the exploration utility. Really just a convenience but it's a nice little QoL feature you might overlook.

e: Enemies ramp up as you make progress. Don't worry, you didn't accidentally activate hard mode. (If you want to intentionally activate it, which is not advised for a first playthrough, it's in the exact same zone and done by the same method as it was in the first game, just not the same room.)

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2018

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

You could really phrase those in a way that's less spoiler-y.

Made some edits. I'm completely open to additional phrasing suggestions that still clearly gets the point across, and will edit appropriately.

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2018

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Alternatively, if you're gonna do the main quest, beeline it. Near the end of the main quest you get an ability that makes fighting dragons considerably less annoying.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Is there anything to know about Ori and the Blind Forest?

Play the Definitive Edition if you can, rather than the original. It includes fast travel, two new abilities, two new sections of the map which add backstory to a character, and takes away any concerns about missables (one-time areas, points of no return) that the original had.

Otherwise, some general tips:
- You can use energy to make your own save point pretty much anywhere that isn't a danger-room encounter. A common early mistake is to forget all about the fact that you can do this.
- Once you get Bash, enemies and projectiles are less "things that you must kill" and more "things that you can use to bounce your way around while they flail adorably off in the background and maybe land on some spikes".
- If you insist on murderhoboing anyway, spamming Stomp is easy and effective for most circumstances, even with no red skill tree investment.
- Blue skill tree upgrades are good for general mobility, platforming, survival and sustainability.
- Purple skill tree upgrades are good for finding hidden poo poo.
- Red skill tree upgrades are good for murderhoboing. Less useful in practice than you might think (see above), though an early point or two doesn't hurt.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

OoT saves everything that's in some way related to your inventory, as well as anything permanent you've done (e.g. opening a chest or solving some puzzle / killing some enemy that's polite enough to stay solved/killed if you leave and come back).

Your physical location and any more-temporary puzzles and enemies will be reset.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Expert mode also lets you remove existing levels and convert that back into reserve experience, so you can basically adjust your levels on-the-fly (when out of combat and able to play around in menus) to whatever you like, so long as:

- It's not lower than the character's starting level
- It's not higher than your net accumulated experience to date would let you reach

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Are there any tips or tricks for the first Ori game I should know?

Belated response, but:

If you have the option between the original and the definitive edition, 100% get the latter. The DE takes all the poo poo that was missable or point of no return in the original, and makes it so you can always backtrack later; it also adds a fast travel system.

You can make your own save points ("soul links") starting very early on by spending a smidgen of energy, and with one of the early Efficiency tree upgrades, making a new save point heals you too. Lean heavily on this mechanic and save regularly; if nothing else, consider it a way to convert energy into health.

The first Ori game is very, very light on required combat. Accordingly you should probably de-prioritize the Combat skill tree until you've maxed out Efficiency and Utility, as they offer more all-rounder benefits.

Once you get Bash, stop thinking of enemies and projectiles as threats that you need to dodge or kill, and start thinking of them as stepping stones to facilitate your movement.

Finally, remember that it's a metroidvania - the more thorough you are about exploring and periodic backtracking, the more upgrades you'll have and the easier the game will get.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

NeverHelm posted:

Actually there is one thing. In VLR, you can get these bonus folder things for doing extra puzzles. Some of them, especially the hard-mode exclusive ones, contain spoilers for future plot events. So maybe don't read as soon as you get them?

For VLR puzzles, I recommend deliberately swapping the game to Easy Mode as soon as you get into each puzzle room (*) on your initial playthrough for two reasons. One of them is the above, with a comforting callout that the upgraded Hard Mode reward is not missable, and you can get it by replaying the puzzle room via flowchart.

The other is that the other characters in a given puzzle room with you, will increasingly spell out puzzles that you're repeatedly screwing up ... and take the piss out of the main character for being an idiot while doing so. They have some delightful :iceburn: sometimes. Worth deliberately loving up puzzles throughout the game, even once you know how to solve them.

As it relates to the difficulty topic, Hard Mode cuts off this line of in-game hints at a point of "reasonable challenge" so you get more of them - including most of the best zingers - in Easy Mode.

(*) It's been a bit, but I think that as far as UI is concerned, the game always defaults to Hard Mode when you first enter any given puzzle room, so Easy Mode is always an opt-in each time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Shazback posted:

I'm continuing with VLR, the story is nice but there is just waaay too much stuff that's repeated & feels like padding, even though I'm zapping skip as much as possible.

For VLR I would in fact recommend that you zap skip as much as possible: there are a number of events that you'll see play out identically in different routes (especially if they're within the same branch from the initial choice of 3), and skip will gloss over everything that's identical and stop only when it comes to a variation that you haven't already seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I know it's a loaded question, but anything for La Mulana? First one.

Save often.

Don't go exploring any deeper than the Gate of Guidance if you haven't unlocked the game's fast travel mechanic yet.

The game heavily rewards an eye for detail. Said detail usually has to do with the text hints, but sometimes is more visual in nature. (Related: take copious notes.)

Do not feel obligated to tackle any bosses or even minibosses right away when you encounter them. Some are deliberately intended to be fought later, and even for those which aren't, the game offers so many directions to explore. Conversely, some areas and puzzles aren't as endgame as their name might imply. Don't be held back by assumptions of what you can or can't do yet: try, possibly fail, make a note to try again later.

StoryTime posted:

If you have a friend or someone else who knows the game and can give you hints when you're stuck, that's probably the best option. If not, here's a good guide that doesn't straight up hand you the solutions:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377234096

And seconding this, both the "start with a friend in the know" and failing that the specific guide referenced. It's very easy to slippery-slope into just looking up puzzle solutions on the wiki, but not only would you miss out on most of the fun of solving them, you also - especially later on - wouldn't know why the solution is what it is.

Vil fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 14, 2023