Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Aafter posted:

The Wiki is awesome and not caught up with the thread. If I could make an account, I would update it. I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend.

Did you email the guy? You gotta email the guy

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Help:Contents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Mayor McCheese posted:

Since Mount and Blade Warband was brought up earlier I'm interested in starting it again with mods this time. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

The Floris mod is essentially the basic SP game but way more fleshed out and with a lot of the unfunness/tediousness removed or changed to be fun. It's what Warband should have been. It does require a bit more power out of your rig tho. The Native Expansion mod is similar.

Prophecy of Pendor and Brytenwalda are the most popular/polished total conversion mods, with new maps/factions/etc. So get one of those if you're tired of Calradia.

There's a bunch of other mods, but these four are some of the most polished/fun I think

A good place to read up on this is

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?board=165.0

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Project1 posted:

Speaking of Mount and Blade: Warband, any tips for taking over the world as factionless? I've done factions, but now I'd like to be Emperor. Can you get lords to join you? It'd be nice to have distractionsstaunch allies.

Regarding Huscarls, how do they do against Khergits? I've always gone with Swadian Knights, as they seem to handle anything, even sieges, but I figured the Nords could handle anything except open terrain battle against the Khergits, so I never took them.

Easiest way to form your own kingdom is to do the vassal thing for a nation that you like, building up a huge army. Then once you have your army conquer a city or preferably town (towns bring in more money) that is part of your nation's enemy nation. Not join a siege run by your allies or anything, but specifically siege a town and take it on your own. Once it's yours you can ask your king for it. If he gives it to another vassal you get the option to rebel. If you rebel you form your own kingdom with that town/castle as the capitol and your former king throws a fit and declares war on you. This is what that big army you built up is for. Wait out the storm in your castle and eventually your old king will make peace with you. Lords that like you or that are pissed off at their own kings for whatever reason will offer their services to you and you can also make your companions into lords. Also, Right to Rule is a big deal here, because if you have low RtR when you splinter off EVERYONE will declare war on you. So keep sending out your companions to spread word of you, this increases it. I think you need at least 50 to keep other kings cool with you? 70? Can't remember. Also consider installing the Floris mod (this mod is great, seriously) or at the very least the Diplomacy mod. Vanilla Warband is not very fleshed out when it comes running your own kingdom.

Oh and make sure you have a solid stream of income before you do this. Dye-works in different nations work best because you stop receiving the income of dye-works that are in countries you are at war with.

Huscarls are amazing for any and all purposes, especially sieges, both sides. At the very least stick them in your garrison.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

poptart_fairy posted:

I've read the wiki but is there anything else to add for Mount and Blade: Warband? I'm completely new to this sort of game and it's kicking my arse. I can't break out of the Skyrim action-RPG mindset for it.

The thing that you want to do right away is swear fealty to a king. Once you're a vassal, you'll get called when there's a war(and there will be one soon). Come and join up with the Marshall and follow him and his army around and get into fights that he gets into. It's the best way to make money/get exp for you and your army/have fun in the early game. Once you get money, use it to buy whatever town improvement that produces the most money per week (it's usually dye works). That's going to allow you to have a bigger more expensive army that you can use to kick the AI in the balls on your own.

Random tips:
Some of the village/town elder quests really suck, like the one where you track down bandits. Seriously, don't do that one, its retarded. The quests in this game in general are not nearly as fun as bashing mans in the face with a mace. Only do them if you're trying to raise reputation with a town in order to buy an improvement there.

Don't worry about buying new weapons/armor, you'll find good stuff on your own. Dye works everywhere are a much better investment of money.

Best melee units are nord huscarls, best cavalry are swadian knights(almost tied by sarranid mameluks), best ranged are rhodok crossbowmen(because of their shield, dammit)

The Floris mod is awesome.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

This is amazing

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Dongattack posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is free this weekend, and it seems we don't have a wikientry for it. Should we scrape something together to put up there?

Free? Where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Anything for a single player playthrough of Borderlands 2? Nothing on the site.