Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Two new games for me here:

Rebel Galaxy
and Satellite Reign. Anything I should know about either?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
XCOM: Don't dash into new territory. Don't take anything but high cover if you can. Don't overwatch constantly. That's pretty much it as far as really, really basic things for a new player to keep in mind. Oh, and going for laser weaponry early on is a good move.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And ignore the guy about steam vents and restarting, too. It'll help, it its not worth giving up over. Roll with it.

Use grenades if the alternative means risking a soldier. Lasers as early research will do more for survivability than armor: dead aliens can't shoot back, and lasers by the end of the second month will make certain missions far, far easier. Plus, scopes help you hit more, also saving your guys. Always have a backup plan, ideally explosive (see point 1).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Basically what Panic said, spells that use Int instead of Willpower. I just wanna be a Technomancer :(
Hong Kong lets you technomage a little better because 3 ranks in cyberware gives you 1 Essence back, negating the datajack hit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

Thing about silencers is that you're probably not going to kill an enemy before they fire a shot so you may as well not even have them. Maybe your weapons are louder than the enemy's but I'm already gone by the time they come to look around. Rifles, for whatever reason, are useless in stealth kills so silencers are kind of a waste except on your infiltrator.
Silenced pistols will kill in one shot on unaware targets though. There's no reason not to have silenced pistols on basically everyone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Rebel Galaxy? Just started.
Get out of the first system as soon as you can, a lot more options open up once you do. Follow the plot and you'll get there. The Icarus makes a fantastic upgrade to your starting ship and it can carry you through a large chunk of the game, certainly far enough for you to decide what you like on your own. Join the Merchant Guild asap: their missions pay out tons of money and their Dead Drops are probably the fastest way to earn cash if you stay on top of upgrading your shields and engines. Early on, your mining turrets (get these) will probably feel like they're doing more damage than your broadsides. That's okay, they are, just get in close and let them carve things up for you. As your ship and the targets you're fighting get bigger, you'll want to diversify your turrets a bit and you'll rely on broadsides a lot more.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Decker chat. The Dragonfall decker is not "serviceable". He'll basically never make an optional check that would have made your life easier, and will fail even very basic tasks. By contrast, the HK Decker is just better than you, unless you focus exclusively on decking - and she's even a fairly competent combat character in addition to that. I really can't imagine going through Dragonfall without some decking skills of my own.
Yeah, HK's decker is almost entirely better than you: while you can match her in terms of decking ability, you have to pay for your own deck upgrades and program upgrades while hers are free. Decking is also less 100% required than it was in Dragonfall, which is a shame. I'd love to see the cyberaffinity skill added back to DF, because a Decker/Mage would be a fantastic character there. As-is, Rifle/Decker or Pistols/Decker is probably your best character in DF, imo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any tips for King of Dragon Pass? I'm playing the updated Steam version.
Don't gently caress with the ducks.

That said, the big thing is to remember that you're effectively roleplaying a weird pseudo-bronze-age clan. If you try and minmax events, you'll run into problems. If you decide that your clan started out by not taking on slaves, then dammit, your clan doesn't take on slaves. If you hate outsiders pretty consistently, then suddenly taking on outsiders because the event looks really juicy might very well come to bite you in the rear end. Being pretty consistent with regards to your decisions goes a long way.

A few other scattered tips before I go sleep:

1 cow = 1 good = 7 food (roughly) when you're doing trade, so you can use that as your baseline. Of course, you can get better/worse deals depending on what each party needs, but that's a good rule of thumb. Explore your tula thoroughly before you start exploring more, you can find some pretty good deals. You'll want a pretty balanced set of nobles on your Ring: if you have a mostly even male/female split, your birthrate should be pretty good, and having only one of each god on the ring helps you get more magic. Growth only goes so far before your tribe starts splitting, so its not like a 4x where you want to maximize growth forever. That said, the easiest way to lose early is to go into a famine spiral, so early game prioritize your herds and fields. If you do get warlike, building a shrine to Maran Gor for her Earthblood shrine can let you literally water your crops with the blood of your enemies. Its handy. Other good Oaths/Shrines include most of Humakt's war-related stuff and Issaries for trade. Trade starts off very weak but eventually gets you enough money that you can basically just buy off all of Dragon Pass, so once you get good amounts of food and a large herd going, start looking to sacrifice to Issaries.

Don't gently caress with the ducks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Your infiltrator and hacker will easily be your best two units. You can give your hacker augs to let him cloak and use the same vents infiltrators can, or you can give your infiltrator an aug that lets him use the hacker's hack skill instead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anything for Gat out of Hell? Its been awhile since I played SR3 and SR4, but I'm mostly familiar with those two.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but off the top of my head, no. Just have fun loving up New Hades.
Gotcha, thanks. Pretty much did that happily. So far, seems a lot harder than SR3 or 4, but I may just suck at games now that I'm old and decrepit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Rebel Galaxy on ps4, going in pretty blind. Heard its kind of similar to black flag boat but in space.

Anything in particular I should know about?
Merchant Guild blockade-running missions are ridiculously good cash, so try to beeline for those asap (and the Merchant Guild in general). At the beginning, your broadsides will be pretty weak and your turrets will do a ton of your heavy lifting as far as damage goes and you'll be zipping around. Mining lasers are pretty good for this purpose. As you upgrade your ship a bit, this'll change and you'll want to shift turrets back towards anti-fighter longer-range duties. I prioritized engines, then broadsides, then defense and turrets as far as my upgrades went, but generally kept them all within the same tier as much as possible since iirc the enemy levels are based on your highest single upgrade tier.

And yeah, its very similar to Black Flag.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Samara's is probably a safe good option.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Is there anything I should be prioritizing in Black Flag?
Shanties and piracy. Once you advance the plot far enough to get the diving bell, you've pretty much opened up everything you need to pirate your way across the world.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

One of you is close to someone who needs help... find this person... fast.

That's just a reference to Lucca's mom right?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Medium is fine for a first playthrough, but Realistic is interesting and kind of its own thing. It's not necessarily harder than Hard because it applies to the enemies as well as you. It makes you fragile as hell though, so it's better for when you know what you're doing.
It starts off much harder but gets much easier quickly: Without augs running, a pistol shot to the chest will kill you, but an assault rifle won't. As enemies upgrade to rifles instead of pistols, their overall damage per second might go up, but their chance of instantly ending or crippling you goes down substantially. Then as you get augs on top of that, you can defend yourself much better, and the difficulty falls off dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Anything for the new Doom?