Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

LibbyM posted:

Just starting Etrian Odyssey 3 and had a question:

Do the generic "raise hp / rise tp" skills raise the hp/tp a significant enough amount to warrant taking, or would I just be weakening characters by spending points on those when I could be leveling skills.

I've played the other Etrian Odyssey games and really liked them, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember even being able to put points directly into hp/tp before. (My memory might be really off on that though).

The first skill point for both has the largest gain, +10% hp/tp I believe? They're both pretty much all or 1 point skills, since points 2-5 or so have really small gains. As far as neutral skills go, combat study is pretty important if you ever want to change your party, since it works on people in storage so you can create dudes and they'll level up at half the rate of people you're actually using.

The game also has some easy character building traps you can fall in to, the only one I can remember (and is easily the most egregious) is that mastery skills are completely worthless outside of serving as prerequisites for other skills. For example, shield mastery on hoplites has a really similar tooltip to the skill at the top of the skill list but is something like 1/5th as effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jarl posted:

I'm considering buying Legend of Grimrock. What should I know beforehand. Especially if I don't want to gimp myself.

It's good to have one of each class, filling out your fourth character slot with a second fighter or rogue. A second mage will screw you over unless you're really good at clicking buttons quickly. I don't know if there have been any balance patches, but archery was hosed up in that it benefits (a lot) from strength and not dexterity, so minotaur rogues were easily the strongest characters in the game.

Using the turn buttons (default Q and E, I think?) instead of dragging with the mouse also makes combat a lot easier.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

victrix posted:

About to start Dragon's Dogma - any whammies? I'm fine going in blind otherwise, but some basic advice on a class would be cool.

I generally enjoy melee combat if it's really involved, otherwise some type of caster just for the increased tactical options. Whichever is more fun here!

:3: I love that game.

-The SA thread for the game has some links at the bottom of the OP. List of class augments is the important one and around level 20-30 you'll want to take a gander to see if there's anything you really want, but the list of class skills is also nice to have.

- There's an early story quest (the Pawn Guild one) that has two creatures you aren't capable of fighting directly, confusing the poo poo out of a lot of people. You can kill one by getting it to run off a cliff, but the other you have to run away from.

- After doing everything at the encampment there are some quests you can take on that you can actually do but they're ridiculously hard if you're new to the game. If you have trouble with them, just carry on with the main plot-line.

- There're two stores in the residential district of Gran Soren (The Black Cat, which lets you make forgeries, and the barber, which... barbers). They're hard to find, but get added to your map when you do.

- Mage and sorceror are both really boring to play as. Don't do it unless you really want certain augments and/or are weird.

- Fighters and Mystic Knights (focusing on ripostes instead of sword-magic) are the most fun melee combatants and probably the most reliant on player-skill in the game. All the classes besides the two pure magic ones are fun and worth trying, though.

- The difficulty levels off really really hard, the entire game becomes a cakewalk at level 75 or so, earlier if you're an Assassin. Don't grind for levels or dcp.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cryohazard posted:

Dungeons and Dungeons: The Dark Lord.

I've played about an hour and a half and am thoroughly unimpressed by how not Dungeon Keeper it is, is there anything I should know that makes persisting with them worthwhile?

I'm 2 days late to reply to this, but no, Dungeons has absolutely no redeeming qualities. God help you if you spent actual money on them.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mr E posted:

Metro 2033

The game's helmets are functional. Which is to say, if you're using a throwing knife or low-caliber weapon, it'll bounce off of a dude's helmet and ruin your stealth run :argh: Knives still instakill with a throw to the gut, though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

In Immortal Defense, does turning the difficulty down affect the story at all, or does it just lower your high score? I've heard many good things about the story, but I'm not so great at tower defense games.

It doesn't affect the story. Unlocking the bonus chapter just requires beating every level without letting a single enemy get through, with some really obvious exceptions.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

VogeGandire posted:

Any advice for a STALKER virgin starting S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat?

Throw bolts to find the edges of anomalies; major anomalies where you can find artifacts are all on your minimap and visiting them will help you out a lot in the long run. If you have to repair a gun to sell it, it's not worth looting until you've got a technician who gives you a discount.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WarLocke posted:

I'm installing Aquaria right now, anything I should know before diving (:haw:) in?

The number keys are shortcuts for songs; using them instead of the right click thing will save you a lot of grief and time. I can't remember what button it is, but it might be spacebar for dashing/twirling, which is really important for combat.
The game is pretty non-linear, but some of the bosses are total fuckers and if you're having trouble with, say, the sun temple boss, just leave and come back when you have a bunch of ridiculous food in your inventory.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Xander77 posted:

I've got Sleeping Dogs, and the game has a DLC list that costs about twice as much as the game itself. Which bits are recommended/essential? I'm not that interested in costumes/weapons, but additional gaming content would be welcome.

Nightmare at Northpoint, The Zodiac Tournament, and Year of the Snake are DLC with actual new content. None of the DLC for the game is a great deal, the three campaign add-ons I mentioned are all only a few hours long, though they do switch the gameplay up a bit. The Tactical Soldier Pack gives you a grenade launcher in the open world, which is hilarious.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Finally, play on Easy til you get the hang of the game. It's radically different to past X-COM games, so experiment, so take the time to screw up, see how things work. You'll be thankful for it when Newfoundland is neck-deep in Chryssalids.

This sounds like a really good way to make the game boring as hell if you're at all decent at strategy games.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Aphra Bane posted:

My dad is a dork and keeps nagging me to play Skyrim. The only video games I've played in recent years are FF12 and Dungeon Siege so I'm fully prepared to be out of my depth. What should I know before I jump in?

There is literally nothing you need to know about Skyrim. It's a giant world where you can't really gently caress up, there's a bunch of annoying quests you can ignore (or do, but half the quests in the game are idiotic bullshit you'll regret spending time on), and none of your actions have any long term consequences.

Some stuff, anyways:
Enter a waking dream state, get high if that's your thing.
Since you're probably playing on the PC, getting SkyUI from the mods thread is worth doing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 There's also a bunch of unofficial patches to fix bugs and poo poo.
Dual wielding and stealth are both overpowered, most destruction magic is underpowered. This doesn't really matter because the difficulty is a slider and if you specialize in destruction magic you can just set it slightly lower until it feels good to use.
Argonians get the best racial ability. I think the Redguards get a pretty good one too?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I bought Dungeon of the Endless and I'm currently getting thrashed at it. I can't even get out of the first floor 80% of the time, usually getting owned on the way to the exit. Any tips?

This was from a couple days ago, but some advice:
-Build 2 industry generators as soon as you can. One in the first room, and one in the next that has a major module space. Whether you get a food or science module after that is up to you, but I generally prefer science.
-Don't build modules if you think there are only a couple doors left, especially industry ones, since the more doors left there are the more they'll generate in their lifetime.
-Enemies should never be able to attack your core, if they're doing so you hosed up and might have started your death spiral. Building too many defenses however hurts your potential in the next floor.
-Big one for getting to the exit, once all the doors are open your resource modules no longer do anything. Go to the zoomed out map and switch your powered rooms so everything on the path to the exit is powered. Most of the time, on the first couple maps, you can get it so your heroes won't be attacked at all on the way to the crystal.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some Until Dawn stuff;

It's possible to save everyone.

Dont be afraid of strangers

Take the time to search for Tiki's and clues on side-paths if you see them.

Be kind to animals.

Give Matt the flaregun, dont use it or keep it yourself.

Hiding is better than running.

On the other hand, forget all of this besides feeling free to take your time and search for the totems :colbert:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

double nine posted:

Anything I need to know about path of exiles?

The skill tree is ... intimidating.

The goon guild is generally inactive before major updates (like the one in 9 days) but you can and should ask either the guild chat or SA thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754959 ) for advice whenever you're feeling a little lost. There's easy/cheap builds for pretty much every character type you can think of and if there's one in particular you're interested in-- i.e. spell caster, totem user, 2 handed melee fucker --the goons can direct you to a good starter build.

Don't be afraid to sell Orbs of Transmutation for identify scrolls (each one is worth 4) early in the game. Armourer's Scraps also sell for some id scrolls and can be worth selling but generally you want to slowly build up a stockpile of those.

You can get two iron rings really quickly (finding them or buying them for 3 id scrolls from the magic vendor) which will make act 1 a breeze if you're using physical attacks. If you're a spellcaster, there's not really an equivalent early game boost in power besides a complicated vendor recipe.

Skills need to be linked to be effected by support gems. Not sure how people miss this so often, but when you look at the sockets on your items, linked sockets have a little brass link between them. However, skills don't need to be contiguous in the link to be supported (i.e. a single active skill can be supported by up to 5 support gems, even though each socket can only have links going out two directions). You can tell whether a link is working by whether it adds a letter to the skill's icon in your toolbar.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mister Adequate posted:

Use Dwarf Therapist.

You don't have to worry about this until you have more than 20 dwarves, imo, but yeah as soon as you hit that threshold it pays off to boot that poo poo up to make it possible to tell your dwarves apart and make changing their labors take 5 seconds instead of a minute.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now I have a question about a game I'm playing myself; in Pillars of Eternity, will the named companions you find develop new quests as you travel, or can you safely put them on the bench as soon as you're done with the initial quest that they came with?

For example, I'm finding that I dislike chanters, and I've finished the quest that...Kama? Kara? whatever his name is, gave me when I found him. Can I just swap him out for a generic NPC that I do like the playstyle of, or is more story stuff gonna happen organically by keeping him in my party as I explore the world?

tl;dr--once I finish a companion's quest, can I send them to my stronghold forever without worrying about missing anything, or will I get new quests/interesting stuff by keeping them in my party?

Each companion has one really simple quest-- not necessarily doable quickly, but if I recall Kana's requires you to get to the bottom of the stronghold dungeon so you can probably finish most of the rest of them at this point. The lack of in-depth quests for them is a little disappointing, but feel free to bench them, even if you haven't finished their quest. There's no bonus besides party wide EXP for finishing them.

You do miss out on party banter with generics, but chances are unless you have subtitles for minor dialogue or whatever on already, you're missing out on most of it anyway since you can't hear your dudes more than like a screen and a half away from where they're talking.

Worth noting that chanters are really loving strong at high levels though. Not strong enough that they're required or anything, but they start mediocre and get to be one of the most universally good classes at the end.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mick Swagger posted:

I'm considering playing Etrian Odyssey IV but am not looking forward to the Atlus grinding. What are some bullshit cheese strats I can use to breeze through the game?

Just make a good party comp on your first try :colbert: I can't remember EO4's classes and how they work, but if you're not going for the post game content it should be possible to get through with almost no grinding (unless you count almost dying and returning to town while you explore a lot as grinding)

It's also got an easy mode, if you'd enjoy that more.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Xander77 posted:

I don't think those are a thing in Ground Zeroes (I added MGS5 mostly based on the assumption that the basic gameplay is the same)

The controls are the same but GZ and TPP are very different. Pretty much no advice besides basic "how to stealth around" stuff will apply to both, and even that's a bit different because you get way better silenced weapons really quickly in TPP.
GZ is still really good, and I wish TPP had a single large base as refined as it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Poison Mushroom posted:

but the story tries to be serious, so, IDK, up to you.

This is exactly why I hate the more flowery language of War of the Lions, fwiw.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

IAmTheRad posted:

Another question for Dragon's Dogma.

Will I be gimped if I just make my main pawn a support mage to be a personal healbot instead of trying to rely on support pawns?

No? The support pawns are as capable as your own pawn, as long as they don't have Guardian or Nexus as inclinations (which you can check before hiring them). So to not gimp yourself, just make sure your own pawn doesn't have those inclinations.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 30, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kenny Logins posted:

[*]Your overall account remembers weapon masteries and controls overall currency and storage items. Your avatars (Fighters) can be destroyed and lose Decals and carried equipment, but you can always make some progress

Something important to note here for Let It Die: Paying Uncle Death to bring them home lets you keep everything in their inventory, including the money they found. It'll pretty much always be worth it to bring them back if they die before floor 7 or 8, unless you were sending them in naked and dying without amassing many coins.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Gerblyn posted:

Anything for Battle Brothers?

Get a couple dudes with heavy armor and the "damage taken is reduced based on armor" perk (a level 6 one iirc) ASAP. It can still take a while to get heavy armor if you're learning the ropes.
Spears are the king of the early game weaponization, since they give a huge bonus to aim and spearwalls are great against some of the early game nightmares like Dire Wolves, undead, and Nachzehrer hordes. Intelligent enemies will avoid spearwalls if they can, causing you to waste precious fatigue.
Flails and daggers can be used to steal intact armor by killing a dude without damaging his sweet scale mail. An easy way to slot in daggers is to put one in the pockets of each of your good melee dudes and switch to them if the only enemies left are fleeing and wearing poo poo you want.
Retreating is your best friend in Battle Brothers. It can be done at any time, including in the enemy's turns, and saving the life of your good boys is worth the injuries retreating unsafely causes.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tollymain posted:

- give your first character 18 in every stat except ego, unless you take mental mutations in which case get 18 in ego and sacrifice something else (toughness?)

:confused: But every weapon skill tree is pretty much balanced around you taking max ability points in your favored weapon...

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Some of the tips for xcom: enemy unknown leave a little to be desired...

I don't have editing rights on the wiki but I'd pare it down to this personally:

quote:

The most important upgrades from the Officer Training School are the ones that increase party size. Get them ASAP.
No one is invincible, but Rookies are cheap.
SHIVs take a lot to build. By the time you've gotten them formidable, they're probably outclassed by just about everything, so either be ready to throw yourself into SHIV research, or don't feel bad about passing them up.
Interrogations usually make research in some other area go quicker, so do those first when you can.
Assaults can equip rifles in place of their default shotgun. A shotgun Assault plays completely differently from a Rifle one, and using one like the other will quickly get them killed.
There's an Assault skill that makes the first Reaction Shot against that character each round miss. Get it, it increases their survivability by leaps and bounds, and the other skill is only good with a very specific, specialized build.
A powerful psychic is extremely good and it can be worth training one up before the story requires you to.
If you want to break the game in half: Get a Sniper with Squadsight, drat Good Ground, Double Tap, put them somewhere high up, and rejoice in your angel of death.
Always, always be ready to fire 2-3 satellites into orbit at the drop of a hat. Get your engineers going early (and make sure you have a lot of them!) and make uplink construction a priority.
Countries with 5 panic dots will leave XCOM at the end of the month. Satellites placed in a country reduce panic a little immediately. You don't get any income from them until the monthly report. Therefore, a good idea is to hold onto your satellites until the day before the report, and launch them into any countries with full panic.
If you haven't spotted aliens yet, best thing to do is take your move action and Overwatch with everyone. Don't dash into unknown territory.
Flank, flank, flank. If you sit around taking potshots from cover for ages you'll get nowhere.
Beelining for lasers is a good strategy, the increase in killing power is extremely noticable and being able to reliably kill Thin Men in a single shot is a massive boon.

Attempting to get rid of the "obvious enough it doesn't need to be stated" information and give a little more context to the vague tips.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cardiovorax posted:

"Obvious enough to not be worth mentioning" is always kind of an iffy proposition because there's a pretty big difference between "obvious to someone who has played the series before and is just looking for extra tips for this particular game" and "obvious to someone who has never played a game like this at all."

I'm aware, but stuff like "an enemy type that shows up after like 5 hours of playing is not a pussy" is not particularly useful, while "flank the enemy!" is super obvious to most people but worth reiterating.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mayor McCheese posted:

*Lots of missions require you to have gear that you unlock later before you can 100% complete them or achieve S-ranks.

Isn't this only true for like 2 or 3 missions?

Mayor McCheese posted:

*Throwing a smoke grenade into a vehicle and driving it will cloak you, and is very silly.

This absolutely breaks the game and fucks up enemy AI so don't do it for anything besides loving around IMO.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

McKracken posted:

I've read the wiki already and most of the games manual but I think I hosed up just assuming I could figure out the Pillars of Eternity combat on my own never playing an isometric RPG before.

I'm playing on normal and late-ish game frequently getting my rear end absolutely handed to me anytime there's a group of 4+ enemies. I'm getting hit with tons of afflictions/debuffs and frequently die because all my characters are stunned etc.

Is there a good YouTube channel that will explain things or am I just missing extremely obvious poo poo as someone new to this genre?

First game? Bring a priest and/or craft scrolls of the Prayers that block afflictions. There's also tons of items that summon creatures to fight for you, and they're extremely good-- one of the reasons being enemies will get distracted by them and maybe waste some good abilities on them. Suppress Affliction (and the similar but stronger Liberating Exhortation paladin skill) is also available from a lot of sources and lets you keep your most important party members in the fight.

Outside of that it depends a lot on what you're fighting or what level you are, but try to disable/kill enemy casters quickly.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kuros posted:

- When you kill an enemy it starts a Greed Kill chain. The more enemies you kill in a chain, the more gold you gain. You don't have to kill another enemy to refill the Greed Kill timer, as long as you damage an enemy it will refill the timer. Enemies with a blue health bar are summons and do not refill the timer.

hitting summons does refill the timer they just don't increase the multiplier when they die.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

moosecow333 posted:

The websites post for Battle Brothers is pointing me in a good direction, but is there anything else I should know?

Are the DLCs worth it?

All of the DLCs are worth it if you like the game.
Beasts & Exploration adds a couple things you have to be really careful about loving with (Schrats and Hexens, and to a lesser degree Alps) but is overall good.
Warriors of the North is pretty great overall but unless you're a masochist it does mean you'll eventually stop spending time in the north because the barbarians have absolutely gnarly end-game fights without an accompanying increase in reward for winning against them. Still worth it for everything else in the DLC.
Blazing Deserts adds a ton of content that's pretty decently balanced with the main game's difficulty. The retinue system is extremely useful and lets you specialize your company in a way you can't without the DLC.

FWIW I'd also update the wiki to something like:

quote:

When negotiating a contract, the number of skulls at the top of the window shows the difficulty of the contract. Pay rises based on how difficult it is, but it can be smart to stick to 1-skull contracts if you're having difficulty progressing.
Caravan escort contracts are a death-trap if they're going anywhere but a neighboring city. You can get several fights in one journey or multiple groups of enemies attacking you at once, if you're unlucky.
When you're hiring people, backgrounds determine their base stats, not how much they increase per level.
The amount a stat can increase per level is based on talents, the little stars next to a stat. They're completely random and separate from a character's background.
When you hire a character you're also paying for the equipment they have. Expensive backgrounds have better base stats but be careful not to spend a lot of money on equipment you wouldn't otherwise buy, when recruiting.
It's often better to have fewer, better armed soldiers than a large number of poorly armed ones.
Armor always takes precedent over weapons. Enemies strike fast and they strike hard, and being lightly armored is a death sentence when facing anyone but the weakest enemies. You can get some decent armor for relatively cheap.
One handed spears give bonus to hit chance so start the guys with low accuracy out on spear/shield.
It's possible to bring extra replacement shields with you for when your pawns' shields break, which they often do. This does reduce their maximum stamina a little unless you have a specific perk, however.
Goblins and orcs can be extremely dangerous. You can take on orc young without strong equipment, but other orcs and goblins are a nightmare without high level mercs using good equipment.
Specialized mercenaries are best, so decide their role early based on their stats and talents and build around that.
You want a character with sky-high resolve and decent stamina to be your bannerman. The merc holding the banner spreads a percentage of their resolve to your other bros, and can use the Rally the Troops perk to raise the morale of everybody around them.
Shieldwall and Spearwall are great skills but keep in mind they cost a lot of stamina, it's better to save your stamina than use stamina on abilities inefficiently.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WaltherFeng posted:

There has to be a real example where the dictator joins the rebels and they elect him again.

Not quite what you're asking for but:

Maximilian I, emperor of Mexico, refused an attempt to save him from execution and at his execution said "I forgive everyone, and I ask everyone to forgive me. May my blood, which is about to be shed, be for the good of the country. Viva México, viva la independencia!"

After using them to get in to power, Ataturk completely disassembled the Sultanate and Caliphate of the Ottoman Empire/Turkey and replaced them with a democratic government. This one's more of a mixed bag because he was a militant nationalist and carrying on the ideology of the rebellion that did the Armenian genocide. I guess the upside is that he killed everyone that wanted to get rid of the democratic elections in addition to a bunch of innocent random racial minorities...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Don't enemies take like 3x damage from the wrench when frozen with the gloo gun? Seems kinda relevant as to whether the gloo gun is worth using when talking about how little ammo you'll have for all your guns :v: