Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

There is an oblivion thread. This a thread for general starting advice, not bitching about how the game is or is not broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Anything for Driver: San Francisco? I've got it coming from lovefilm in a couple of days. I vaguely remember enjoying the demo even though I was crap at it.

Upgrade your boost bar and recharge rate first, everything else second (except maybe your income rate, since this makes upgrading easier). Also, don't buy any cars until you save up and purchase the ford gt.
Additionally, the bonus missions you can access from the garage menu (ex. "movie" "driver") are easily some of the best missions in the game. However, do as many rounds of story missions as possible before doing these, as the story missions unlock abilities that are very very helpful for getting around the city quickly (and open up more segments of the map).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

A shrubbery! posted:

Jumpkick, Headstomp. Repeat.

Wisdom. Get your fury ability first, then max out the stamina tree completely next, as the final rung nabs you the ultra-stomp which is the best "weapon" in the game.

Also, everyone hates on the gun play, but if you pick Purna and are conservative with your ammo, guns can be a legitimate option, especially against human opponents. However, you will be somewhat crippled for the 1st half of the game until bullets become more common. As such, get a good blade weapon an a ton of molotovs.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Traded in some old games for other old games.

Looking for hints for

GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City

Dark Souls

Rayman: Origins

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Should I play UC2 if I played UC3 and found it very lackluster, besides the graphics which were absolutely amazing to my eyes. The first half of UC3 was fine, but towards the end game I found the gameplay getting stale and the story being the worst part about the game.

UC2 is infinitely better. The story and set pieces are sooooo much better it is scary. I bought UC2 on release and still play through it every few months. I bought UC3 on release, beat it, and sold it all within a week. The best part of UC3 was the plane flight level, and even that you had very little actual control over.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Any advice for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (other than cutitcutitcutitcutitcutit)? I'm only a little ways in but it feels like something hasn't quite "clicked" with me yet.

Parry everything; EVERYTHING. Also, the first boss weapon is very good, especially when upgraded. Learn to use ripper mode to take out tough enemies quickly.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

AASman posted:

Had the urge to dig out my old original Xbox. Ninja Gaiden Black? Dark Souls doesn't have poo poo on this game. I'm only on the second area and I have enemies that block everything, wave after wave of enemies, some jerk on the sidelines spamming ki attacks, the controls and camera aren't the best... any tips?

Google search "on-land charge" and spam the poo poo out of it. Added bonus, you look like a total badass. Only downside, it uses up the xp/health souls in the area, but if you do it right, you will get HUGE xp from the last guy in the area you kill.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anything for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? The website is a little thin. Should I be buying new equipment and upgrading it, or should I just wait to pick it up in the field/quests? Any skills I "must" get for striders/mages/etc.?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Just got Resident Evil: Revelations(sp?). Anything I should know in particular? Not worried about spoilers, but feel free to use blinders for others. Also, are there any weapons that are trash/godly that I should specifically avoid/use?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've not played Origins yet, but if it's anything like the first two, yeah, you won't be able to tackle most of the additional stuff until you unlock more skills and items. The series is more like a Metroidvania in many respects.

Also, think of the combat as being more like a rhythm game - you can get away with just mindlessly attacking for a while, but sooner or later you'll need to learn how it flows. The games are all about timing, knowing when to evade, when to counter, that kind of thing.

These are the only two things you really need to know. Also, to max your score (and be the goddamn Batman), try to increase your combo length and variety as much as possible; effective use of quick fire gadgets is critical (and looks bad rear end). Also, as to the timing for countering, counter just after someone starts to run directly at you (and keep pressing for multiple enemies). Also, the timing for countering/dodging changes ever so slightly between Origins and 00the other Arkham titles, which can be a headache.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anything for Earth Defence Force 2025? I'm playing on PS3 if it matters.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

paco650 posted:

Anyone have any tips for the Dark Souls 2 DLC before I dive in? All I know is "don't start NG+ before starting the memories".

The enemies in both DLC all have relatively high elemental defenses. I'd recommend taking a non-infused strike weapon and a lightning infused stab weapon with you for both DLC. If you see ghosts, find and destroy their body first. For the optional boss in SUNKEN KING, divide and conquer and don't ignore the archer. Take a bunch of poison moss with you to Sunken King, too. Also, they are really great DLC.

Edit: also, both DLC ARE designed as end game content. You can start the DLC as soon as you beat the respective boss, but is wait until you at least have the ashen mist heart or the giant lord's soul.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 20, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. I don't know much about the series. Is there stuff I should buy first or just dive right in?

I've otherwise only played the unrelated first Famicom game.

This was one of my absolute favorite games from N64 generation. First, use the chain pipe you get from MT. Fuji all the time until you upgrade your weapons. Use the camera to make ghosts hittable. Make a donation by throwing 5 coins as Goemon into the shrine's donation box; the fire coin you get as a result can be used to light sconces which in turn will open locked doors. Save your money as much as possible, though; cucumbers are expensive! You will need each person's magic to progress the story. For impact, use the chain grab (the R button, I believe) to pull them in, then use the super laser attack to finish them off (you'll have to look the move up online to confirm, but I think it's a 360 combined with the z button or something). Also, when you are out in the desert and feel you have no idea what you are doing, start looking for an oasis which has a battery sitting in the middle of it. Also, talk with all the NPC'S you can as much as you can; many hold items you need to progress the story and they may be just hanging out in a food shop. Also, go the fortune teller whenever you get stuck and they'll get you on track. God, I loving love that game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Major, major portions of world 4-1 and 5-1 can be skipped entirely with some creative jumping. It's particularly useful in 5-1 because that level is annoying.

You can also do this on 2-2 I believe (there is a HUGE pit you can drop down), but the jumps are incredibly precise. Note that halfway down is a red phantom who has an amulet that lets you cast miracles and spells (very very handy and the only one in the game that has this trait); although I think world tendency affects whether he appears or not.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

He only appears in Pure Black IIRC, otherwise he's a regular NPC.

I believe you are correct. Also, i remember him being an absolute bitch that I cheesed with arrows. Also, Patches is one of the most important NPC in the game, as you can buy infinite heavy arrows from him when he shows up in the Nexus. Also, if you don't want to lose all of your NPC friends (and want a sweet set of armor), consider offing the NPC with large verticle horns on his helmet you find hanging in a iron maiden cage after he moves to the Nexus (he hangs out in the very back of one of the second floor chambers).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Additionally, don't run your boost out fully; if you do, you can't use it until it fully recharges.

Also, keep a heavy machine gun on you from the start of the game, but try not to usr it ever, just pick up copies to upgrade it to max level ASAP. Once fully upgraded, heavy machine gun is an absolute beast that can carry you through the entire second half of the game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

RED DEAD REDEMPTION chat

Bloodcider posted:

- Have your Karma be all good or all bad, since you get mostly the same rewards (crimes aren't reported, etc) while neutral doesn't net you anything. Good is better than evil since you don't have the law hassling you, store prices are better (except in theives landing), you unlock the Duster Coat, and there's a random chance of a nun giving you a item that makes bullets less likely to hit you.

-If you want to do some evil stuff, but still be a good guy, just equip the bandana before committing evil acts. Equipping the bandana temporarily deactivated the karma system (but not necessaily the ramifications of your actions).
-As soon as they become available, complete all the bonnie missions. You get the lasso and a three star horse (I.e. the top tier).
-If you ever need to extract an individual (good or bad) from a group of enemies, etc, simply lasso them from your horse, keep holding down the lasso button and rode away, dragging them away to a safe spot where you can tie them up or otherwise take them to safety. They won't suffer any lasting injuries and it can be a lot easier than killing all the other enemies or trying to tie them up on site. Note that you cannot gallop as fast when dragging someone, though.
-if you throw a piece of dynamite, Molotov, or other throwable via dead aim, it becomes a homing missle. Try it with A stick of dynamite and a flying bird and see what I mean. :clint:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Rebreather makes gas grenades and traps ineffective against you.

Also, the Emp/electricity-proof upgrade makes the final boss a joke.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Yeah, turns out I was just about done (I hadn't played in I don't know a year or so so I thought I wasn't far into it.) so for anyone that hasn't played it yet the final boss fight comes down to pattern memorization. Is Uncharted 2 98% cover shooter and 2% puzzle exploration like the first one because if so I'm gonna work on God of War 3 next.

IMO, Uncharted 2 is a very fun game and easily the highlight of the series. I would highly recommend you give it a go.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

foozwak posted:

If you run into a spot which is giving you trouble (which you might if you play on hard mode) you can cheese your way through with Time Bro by hitting F1 and going into slow motion mode. Normally this affects the player character along with everything else, but Time Bro runs at realtime.

Okay, so BroForce has some amazing little things, but that might be the cream of the crop. Deserves a cross post in the PYF little things in games thread.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Bloodborne?

The webpage only has a few cryptic hints, and I appreciate that, but are there any suggested builds to follow or weapons/items to hunt down/ignore. E.g., how smash damage was particularly effective for most of the story in Dark Souls 2?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Your first character should be a physical attacker, either based on strength or skill (I think it's called skill in this game instead of Dex). There's some wizard poo poo you can do later with an arcane focused character, but until you're more familiar with where to find it and how the game plays, an arcane or gun-focused character is going to be super frustrating and unfun.

Nice. You and the poster below you provided the exact advice I was looking for (and also thanks to the guy who did the effort post above).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so Resident Evil 6 is insane. I get that it's a zombie wrestling simulator and quick shots are vital and I should be sliding around all the time but what the hell is going on, how am I supposed to get good and why is it so dark, and just general advice please.

resident evil 6

Always be diving. Always. You can avoid a lot of damage in this game that you previously would have had to simply tank due to improved mobility.

Always be quickshotting. Quickshot dogs. Quickshot enemies with weapons in their hands (or stuck in their bodies) for an easy melee attack. Keep an eye on your action bar though; quickshotting too much can leave you open to attack.

Always be wrestling. Overabuse melee. Aim for the knee, face, or forearm, look for a stun triggern, then run and press melee attack. Even better, once you learn what stun states lead to what attacks, you can use the AOE melee attacks on a SINGLE enemy to take out entire crowds of punks.

Find the perk loadouts that work for you. For Leon, I recommend zombie killer, quickshot plus, and melee plus. For everyone else, I used javo killer, melee plus, and the medic one (whichever one heals you and your partner no matter the distance).

You will have no less than 20 total and utter bullshit deaths over the course of the game. It honestly wasn't your fault. Let it roll off your back, or it can ruin an otherwise incredibly fun game.

Try playing the mercenaries mode, even if you keep losing. It will help you get much much better at the game, and you won't have to go hours between big fights to get your practice in.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Batman: Arkham Knight?

Edit: y'all are awesome!

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Dishonored counts the "Chaos" of each run, which basically means deaths. The fun thing is, all human deaths count toward chaos, even if you didn't stab them. Knock a guy out and he gets eaten by rats? Chaos. Knock a guy out on a rooftop, and the body slides off and falls to the street? Chaos. Guy you're not even aware of three streets away tries to fight a rat swarm and loses? Chaos.

Still, you shouldn't obsess much. There are two possible endings, and high chaos causes a slightly larger number of rats and weepers in later levels, that's all.

dishonored

You can kill a lot of people in each level and still get "low" chaos. Do not obsess.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anything for Strider (2014)?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

gently caress though, how awesome would a parrot monkey hybrid be? I'm thinking parrot colors and wings on a monkey. Maybe with a parrot beak too.

Have you seen the Wizard of Oz?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yea guys, we should definitely have this debate for the 99th time.

Anything for Trackmania Turbo?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I know there's a page for Metal Gear Solid 5 on the wiki but a rather specific question - I read on several places that there's an online component that you need to pay real money for to be of any use (a base extension or something). What's the deal with that?

Time = money. You can pay to speed things up, or you can just wait for free. Nothing is actually permanently locked behind a paywall, but it can cut down on development time significantly. Also, to build more than one FOB, you need MB coins, which you can either buy with real money or get as log in bonuses.

Note that I haven't played the game in about 6 months, so this might have all changed since then.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Speaking of MGS: Revengeance, is there any good explanation of parrying mechanics anywhere?

Like, I get the basic concept of Press Direction Stick in direction of enemy + X to block, but I can't seem to get the feel for counter attacking.

Also, I watched an LP of the game some time ago so I'm more interested in the actual gameplay.

Am I gimping myself for not exploring for collectibles?

You have to press towards the attack on the directional stick at the exact moment you are pressing X. You cannot just hold the stick towards the enemy the whole time. That is you have to press forward and press X to parry, release the stick and X then release the stick completely, then press forward and press X to parry again.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anything for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? Feel like the wiki entry is a little light for such a big game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anything for Furi?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

No Man's Sky?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

To be fair, if you come into this thread asking about a brand new game, don't expect great advice.

The idea is that there are games where we've already explored thoroughly, and have some early pointers based on that.

For a new game, just talk to the people who are currently figuring it out.

You mean, like, by asking them for some hints in the "before I play thread"? :confused:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

DOOM (2016) page is a little light. Any other good tips? Suggested weapon mods?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

Please post to WIKI, but be sure to give GamePro the credit.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

You should really play For Answer if you like Mecha games. It is a really well developed he with fun branching storylines. Also, if you get annoyed at energy management, there is a specific setting to give you infinite booster (almost).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Resident Evil (REmake)? Just about to start my first play through on the PS4 version.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Everything feels and looks like it's made of meat.

What the gently caress does this even mean?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Shadow Complex: Remastered please.