Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sentient Toaster posted:

I too would like some tips for Valkyria Chronicles 2. I have no idea how much benefit I'm getting from leveling up classes, but I've noticed the APC is an amazingly easy way to end a lot of missions on the first turn.
A few notes on VC2, which I thoroughly enjoyed despite being a god drat high school anime.

- A Fencer is an absolute necessity for most of the maingame and is by far the most effective way of taking out bosses, especially as said bosses' counters will without exception oneshot anyone who attacks them. The tank/APC also works, but you generally want at least two units going at a boss to keep him turning back and forth, or they'll just dodge most of your attacks.
- If you feel like min/maxing, go check a guide, find out who learns the "Max vs. Personnel/Armor" potentials, and just use them - once they learn those, their attack power completely overshadows everyone else's at all times.
- Flamethrowers instantly destroy bunkers, turrets and towers. The usefulness of this cannot be overstated. Shocktroopers and the Tank/APC can carry them.
- Speaking of which, the Utility APC with the Flamethrower turret is fantastically good. APC rushes can one-turn nearly every "capture base camp" or "defeat boss" mission. It's up against Light Tank B with a Captured Turret, which has obscene accuracy and damage, but can't carry units or all the useful mods - most of the time I stick with the APC.
- Snipers are best used to pop out of a base camp, pick off a target, and return. Don't underestimate them.
- Make a Gunner a commander (once you get an extra) and leave them in your base camp every mission. You'll get the extra CP and they'll annihilate anything that gets close.
- Mortars are useless.
- Anthem Corps are surprisingly useful.
- Regular Techs are useless.
- Entering in the codes for extra content will get you some very good units and a couple decent weapons for techs.

theshim fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cake Attack hit most of the important stuff.

- Normal is indeed Hard, and Hard is Maniac. For a first run, go with Normal (Easy).
- BEXP abuse is enough to turn anyone into a god unit, so you really can get away with whoever you want (though I would strongly caution against using Leonardo, Meg or Fiona, as BEXP is the only thing saving them from being complete crap). Don't give units a level with BEXP if they don't have at minimum one stat capped! It's a waste, they'll average better on a normal level, often even with one capped. Once you hit two capped stats, especially on lopsided units, is a good time to sink BEXP. You can also use it to pump a unit up to 99 exp if you want them to level sooner but don't want to waste the stat gains.
- The game will switch around which groups you get to use (very annoying). If you want to have the army in Part 3 get some goodies from Part 1, give them to Ilyana in the final chapter, she's the earliest unit you'll see then.
- Thunder magic is terrible now, compared to PoR.
- Earth pairs are even more stupidly broken now that anyone can support anyone.
- You can remove skills like in PoR, but in this case it gives you them and you can assign them back to people. Units who have skills innately won't use any capacity on them, but this means you can pass Paragon and Blossom around, for example. This allows for fairly awesome combinations much more easily and rocks.
- Haar can solo half of the second chapter you get to use him for. He is that good.
- Laguz work differently now - instead of having solid stats and getting a boost when transformed, they now have terrible stats that double when they transform (except Luck and HP). This makes them harder to work with (though you can now control when they shift and can shift back whenever you want) and on the whole they aren't really worth it, especially as you get a bunch of the royals at the end of the game who are stupidly awesome.

theshim
May 1, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Just starting Etrian Odyssey 3 and had a question:

Do the generic "raise hp / rise tp" skills raise the hp/tp a significant enough amount to warrant taking, or would I just be weakening characters by spending points on those when I could be leveling skills.

I've played the other Etrian Odyssey games and really liked them, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember even being able to put points directly into hp/tp before. (My memory might be really off on that though).
HP up is useful (TP up less so) but you really want the points in more useful things early on. On full builds you may find yourself with extra points, and the extra HP never hurts, but don't sink your points there in the beginning.

On another note: it just came out, but anyone know anything useful for Gungnir?

theshim
May 1, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I was thinking of making my zodiac have one level in fire/ice/volt mastery and then one level in all the single target elemental attacks. And then just maxing ether mastery.

Along these lines, you say the first skill is almost universally good, and Count Uvula mentions how shield mastery does way less than the first Hoplite skill, is that the same idea for the elemental masteries on Zodiac. Do they do way less damage increase than the generic ether mastery?
This is the better way to build a Zodiac. The most important skill for them, though, is Singularity, which makes hits that strike weaknesses do a ton more damage. Since virtually everything in the game has at least one weakness, figuring them out makes your Zodiac do a hell of a lot more damage and can be exploited in a number of cases.

Once you get into subclassing everything changes, but that's quite a ways off.

This is the most useful resource for EO3 by far. In addition to being very useful for planning out builds, the skill simulator also tells you the numbers behind each skill, which is priceless for figuring out when points are useful or wasted.

theshim
May 1, 2012

My tips are all from the original, I didn't get to play Overclocked, but most should still hold true:

-Magic MC. Overclocked apparently made it much more viable to run a Phys MC, but there's still the problem that Atsuro is required for the majority of the endgame battles on most routes and fully speccing two phys attackers is a lot harder than ramming all your best skills on one. A Magic MC also has the advantage that he can sink points into Vit as well and become unkillable, while a Phys MC has to drop points into Mag and Vit, and will come up short somewhere. Get strength to 8 at some point for Holy Dance, 10 for Megido if you want (but Holy Dance is overall the best skill in the game).

-The Dances are really strong in this game, as opposed to, say, Strange Journey, in which they were nigh-useless. Two hits from a Dance will outdamage a -dyne spell.

-Get a Tyrant as soon as you possibly can. King Frost was the earliest in the original, not sure about Overclocked. Tyrants have two awesome parts to their passive: they restore mana at the end of each battle, which is flat-out necessary to be able to spam the best spells, and they push back the turns of adjacent enemies. Fuse Resist Fire on King Frost and he'll carry you for a good while.

-Plan your route! Although with the extra day that Overclocked added even Yuzu's route is acceptable. Some of the characters are tricky to save, you may want to have a guide handy for that alone. In short, always do the events with people listed in the Laplace e-mails, give Kaido the bag on the 4th day (I think it's the 4th), and in Gin's e-mails ask about Haru and ask about Aya. Those are the major tricky bits as far as I can recall.

theshim
May 1, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Anything for Devil Survivor 2, while we're on the subject?
-Phys MC much more viable. Magic MC still benefits on the defensive end, though.

-Dances are still great, though they don't seem to hit quite as many times anymore.

-Some of the upgraded Racial Skills are disturbingly broken. Evil Flow in particular brutally shatters the majority of the lategame. Once you get a Python you can wreck enemies' days.

-Tyrant still awesome.

-Unless you're going for the one ending that requires you to get all but one characters' Fate to 4, you don't actually have to save everyone or talk to certain people at certain times to get endings. You do need to get the Anguished One's Fate to 4 if you want his path, but the others are open no matter what.

-It is possible to make demons immune to everything but Almighty. This is awesome. Do it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

I'm interested in playing Fire Emblem 4, but I've only played 6 and 7. It's got skills and love points and babies, all of which look scary to someone who's only played the GBA games :ohdear:

Any tips on not screwing things up/over?
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh boy.

-LEVELS ARE HUGE
-Pursuit is the most important skill in the game for almost everyone. Pursuit allows you to double if your attack speed is higher. Without it, your only way to get more attacks is Continue/Duel/Hero weapons.
-Ardan is useless, except for getting the Pursuit ring in chapter 2. (Send him to the cliff below the westernmost castle once you take it.)
-Alec and Noish are pretty awful as well.
-The evasion formula is aspdx2+luk+bonuses. Attack speed is your speed MINUS WEAPON WEIGHT. This means that swords and wind are broken, and axes and fire are nigh-useless. I say nigh because Lex is awesome.
-Hold onto Lex's Iron Axe and in chapter 1 send him to the outcropping on the west side of the lake. He'll get the Hero Axe, catapulting him into awesome status.
-Most of the pairings, if you leave them and don't do anything, will end up with really good children, so don't stress about that. If you want some recommendations which will serve you well, Lex/Aira, Midir/Aideen, Azel/Tiltyu, Claude/Sylvia, Holyn/Brigid, Levin/Fury.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

-Your main sources of gold are villages (which give less gold as they're gradually destroyed by bandits) and the arena by the way.
-A further note here: The arena is accessible in your base in every chapter but the Prologue and Chapter 6. Every character can fight through the same seven enemies (with a couple switched around for ranged characters), earning escalating gold and exp rewards. The arena is very easy to game (switching powerful weapons around by buying/selling) and you should always do it first thing in each chapter, as well as send any new units you recruit into a castle to do it themselves.

-Speaking of powerful weapons - weapons are not chewed through like in regular FE but can be repaired. This is important because weapons also keep a kill count. Normally, your units cannot land critical hits; the exceptions are people with the Critical skill (Noish, Ethlin, Levin I think) and any weapon which accumulates over 50 kills can also crit. Crit rate is skill+weapon bonus, where the bonus is 1 for each kill over 50 up to 100.

-You will get a Silver Sword for Sigurd about halfway through Chapter 1. Have him use this for the entire first gen, it will end up with a lot of kills and having a crit-ready weapon helps the beginning of second gen considerably.

quote:

-theshim's pairing are all solid, there are some I prefer more then the one's posted but his work great for a first playthrough.
Yeah, these just give you very powerful second gen kids. There are a couple unconventional ones (or even conventional) that work really well as well, and it's hard to go wrong with nearly all of the kids, but the listed ones are both very easy to pull off and very rewarding.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Thewittyname posted:

Are there any recommended mods for a first time playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins? I thought I remember people talking about one that let you skip The Fade.
The Fade is really cool though! I might recommend that mod for replays, because it's long, but it's really worth doing the first time at least.

theshim
May 1, 2012

zachol posted:

Maybe the one other thing I'd suggest about Dark Souls is not to attack friendly NPCs. I mean it's sort of obvious, but be extra careful about it.
One of my old roommates accidentally attacked one of the NPCs in the spawn area in Demon's Souls. We spend about an hour just getting killed by him over and over. It was hilarious.

Don't do that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I strongly suspect I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but...

Any advice for Fable III? I've played the first but not the second.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Warlock stuff
I find myself quite intrigued and may grab this myself!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Scientastic posted:

I've read the wiki for Borderlands, but I'm having some difficulty. Namely, I keep getting absolutely mullered by everything that comes near me. Am I just getting ahead of myself and doing missions that are too hard, too soon, or am I missing something major?

I am currently lvl 12, playing as Mordecai, and I am dying very quickly and my weapons don't seem to be doing much damage.
Borderlands scales most off level. Even a couple levels' difference will vastly increase your damage output and lower enemies'.

theshim
May 1, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm picking back up Borderlands (for the 360) and trying out the Siren (having previously played the soldier and sniper classes to the high 50s). I'm familiar with the basic game mechanics and campaign, but anything particular I should know about Siren builds, skills, or play styles?
The moment you hit level 21, respec and max out Mind Games ASAP. Mind Games is probably the single strongest skill in Borderlands due to how ridiculously powerful and crippling the Daze effect is.

Also Double Anarchy. Unless you get a Hellfire. :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

CloseFriend posted:

I just started playing Gungnir. I didn't see anything on the Wiki about it and I know Dept. Heaven games are usually pretty loving out-there with their gameplay. (It's why I love them so!) Anything special I should prepare for?
Ah, Gungnir.
-This game is really short.

-Every action has a Wait time. This is the amount of time before you can use that unit again without a penalty. The penalty is a hit to your max HP equal to your wait time's % - i.e. if you have 10 wait on a unit and want to use it anyway, their max HP will be lowered by 10% for the rest of the battle.

-The more equipment you are wearing, the higher your Wait time will be.

-Wait is independent of Delay, which is the time after each action until you get another turn. Low Delay is a good thing.

-Sometimes you will want to use units anyway, especially a Witch once you get a type-3 broom attack. Do so. The max hp penalty is temporary and on long range units it won't even matter.

-Taking bases increases your max TP by 2, and extends the range of Boosts and Beats (in which allies buff you or join in on attacks) by 1 each. War Gods cost at least 11 to use, so taking a base or two early is always a good idea.

-TP is filled by moving with units. Each unit has a TAC score - this is how many TP they can fill up on their turn, at one per space moved. If someone only has 1 TAC, moving more than 1 space will not grant more TP.

-Beats can only occur on single-space attacks without knockback.

-The game rerolls targets for the War Gods every tick of time, I think. With a little patience, you can have them only hit enemies, which can make battles very easy.

-After an early mission you will be given some Four-Leaf clovers. Don't bother holding onto them, they don't do anything.

-Your ranking on a mission is determined by completing it within a certain amount of time and without casualties. Higher ranks will mean more treasure chests will spawn on the next stage (which are obnoxiously durable and have loot ranging from useless to amazing) and the difficulty of the game will increase slightly. If you are playing on Basic it will never get too crazy (it caps), but if you play on Advance it can keep increasing the challenge. It'll never get impossible but some enemies can get tough.

-Don't use a Priestess or Sorceress, you have Paulo.

-Don't use an Archer, you have Elise.

-Giulio can go with the Gungnir or Sword/Shield. I like having the Gungnir on him, but both work pretty well.

-Use a Thrower, get a spear with a type-3 attack (I think the Pilum has it, though you'll have to attack with it a few times to unlock it) as early as you can. The type-3 attack knocks the target back a space.

-Knockback is stupid good. It's easy to knock people off cliffs or out of the map entirely. Note that the enemies are more than happy to do this to you too!

-You can drown. (Thanks, Sting.)

-Once you get a broom with a type-3 attack, get a Witch, she will be your MVP for the rest of the game with ease. You can get one from an old friend, and I'd reload if it doesn't drop.

-There are only a few drops that are really worth reloading for. That broom and the Chrono come to mind, maybe the Oni Lance (but that battle is long and kind of tough).

theshim
May 1, 2012

The above only really applies for the first ten levels or so. Pretty soon you should have no trouble hitting with every single attack, especially once you max out dual-wielding and flurry (or whichever styles you choose to fight with).

D&D doesn't scale very well, especially once you get past 15 or so. The game's not very hard (I actually played through it without touching my lightsaber, just because I could - the idea of a gunslinger Jedi was too good to pass up) and all the accuracy problems are early ones. The listed advice is good and helps you compensate for early weaknesses, but later on you'll have more freedom to do absurd amounts of damage.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Lord Banana posted:

It's actually very easy to get more keys by doing some ini editing. Go to (where ever you installed to)\DLC\POPremierClub\Lic and open the WillowDLC.ini file. In there you'll see a golden keys entry, just change the 1 to however many keys you want (I don't know if more than 99 would work though) and viola, more keys.

Don't do this if you don't want to break the game too hard, because rolling in all purple equipment will make you pretty strong.
They already fixed this exploit, and you really don't need it anyway. You'll get plenty of good guns.

theshim
May 1, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Finally decided to start playing Fallout 3 on the PC, after buying it during the Steam Summer Sale.

Are there any skills that are a big "no no" because they either never get used, or you have to get them so high it's pointless and you might as well use a different tactic?

I remember reading something about lockpicking somewhere...that either you really want to have a good skill level with it, or you don't want to bother at all because everything requires such a high level you're better off just opening the door by blasting it or bombing it, or something.
Do not take:
Speech (almost meaningless)
Barter (money is very quickly not an issue)
Whatever weapons you're not using

Take:
Lockpick
Science
Sneak
Repair
Preferably specialize in a single weapon, Small Guns and Energy Weapons are favorite. Small Guns has an easier early game, though, as it can take a while to get any decent Energy Weapons, and while EW has a slightly better lategame you'll be fine either way.

theshim
May 1, 2012

This is primarily for a couple people I know playing Yggdra Union:
- There are hidden items EVERYWHERE in this game. There's one in the first level (all the way off to the top left). You will never find most of them; if that bothers you at all, use a guide. I very highly recommend Shadowchaser91's guide here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/930490-yggdra-union-well-never-fight-alone/faqs/46178

- You cannot unequip an item. Once equipped (same goes for your starting equipment) it lasts a certain number of battles. For example, Milanor starts with the Silver Moon [7], which will last for 7 battles.

- Battles have a certain "turn limit" for getting the MvP +2 boost, a permanent randomly rolled +2 small stars for one stat for the unit that did the most damage. Try to spread the MvP boosts around a bit; it's easy for Milanor to grab them all, but a few for your other characters can make a huge difference.

- The game (as is Sting's wont) doesn't explain almost everything, including stats. Here's a quick breakdown on how they work and what they do. Note that for all calculations, only the large stars matter - small stars are just progress towards your next large one.

- GEN: Defense against charges and skills. The higher your gen, the less damage you'll take from charges and counters. Additionally, most damaging skills are calculated as TEC vs GEN - if your GEN is higher than their TEC, the skill will be blocked entirely (though some skills on the PSP version get a bonus). If their TEC is higher, skills will inflict more damage, etc. A higher GEN also means you'll take less Morale damage when you lose a fight.

- ATK: Functions as both attack and defense in battle after the charge/counter phase. A higher ATK than an enemy means their units will die faster and yours slower. Also means you'll inflict more Morale damage when you win a fight.

- TEC: Affects both the strength of your charges/counters and your skills. You need to have TEC at least equal to your opponent's GEN for status skills to work (stuff like Steal is included in this). TEC also affects how full the skill gauge starts - each star gives a certain value dependent on the Move of the card you picked for the turn (the lower the Move, the higher the gauge starts).

- LUK: Does a bunch of stuff. Increases how often flash attacks happen (those little windups your character will sometimes do in battle - these deal a bit of damage and interrupt skill charging, making high LUK enemies a bit more annoying). Increases the likelihood of critical hits (which are really powerful in this game; I think it also decreases the chance of being critted, but I'm not certain). The most important function of LUK, however, is the drop rate - enemies will only drop their equipped item if the unit that defeats them has LUK equal or greater than theirs. This means units with 1 or 2 LUK are kind of lousy for finishing some bosses off.

- REP: Your REP value goes up by 1 for each consecutive battle you win, capping at 6. REP is used for determining certain items you can get and is mostly ignorable unless you're going for something specific, in which case, use a guide.

- Units have up to four abilities, and a fifth slot that is added by equipment. For example, Milanor has [O] Wasteland :), which greatly increases his combat ability when standing in Wasteland terrain, and [O] Void Stone, which makes him immune to petrify (this is almost completely meaningless). You'll also note on a new game that the fifth slot gives him [O] No battle penalty, which allows him to go up against multiple enemies in a row without penalty. When the Silver Moon is gone, this ability goes with it! Using the right item for the right battle is a huge part of the game's strategy.

- Stat boosting items instantly boost the stat to the next large star. Try to use them on people who just got a large star in a stat to maximize returns! With the way stats are raised, you get the biggest return using it on someone with one or two large stars.

- Anything which conditionally raises your combat effectiveness (like Milanor on wasteland) is very strong. The game uses a number of weapon triangles and the like (the axe>lance>sword is here, but all lose to staves, which lose to bows, etc.), which give the upper hand a boost to their combat (think of it as an extra star for ATK, for example) and a penalty to the loser. (The combat status is expressed by the icon below your units - from strongest to weakest it's Red Star - Yellow Star - Yellow Circle - Green Circle - Green Dash (neutral) - Blue Dash - Blue Triangle - Grey Triangle - Grey X.) An advantage will bump you up to Yellow Circle, a disadvantage to Blue Triangle. However, Milanor on wasteland terrain will always have a Yellow Circle, even fighting against a guy with a sword. Making good use of your units' and items' abilities is very important!

- Most classes (excluding Milanor and Knights, as well as some monsters) change to dealing elemental damage when going Aggressive/in Rage mode. Yggdra, for example, deals Holy damage when going Aggressive. This means that while she can be extremely effective against anything weak to Holy, going Aggressive against a Valkyrie, which nulls Holy damage, means you will do nothing. This can and should be exploited - enemy Valkyries will go into Rage mode against Yggdra, giving you a large window of opportunity to beat them down with them dealing no damage to you! Once enemies reach Max, however, they will return to dealing non-elemental damage.

- You'll get a couple options for a few weapon types. Choose one and stick with them! Each of your choices is very good, there are no bad units in this game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Anything for Civ 5 for someone who hasn't touched the series since 2?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Seems to be working just fine for me? I'll copy it over for you.

quote:

- Press a movement key twice quickly to roll that direction. Double "S" - roll backwards, is very useful in many of the early fights.

- You can block (parry) with "E". It is hard to block fast opponents. It is easier to block slow opponents but they can still damage you (the block just reduces damage). Blocking uses Vigor (stamina) the same as Signs (spells) so if you have no Vigor you cannot block. Blocking is not that useful compared to dodging at the beginning.

- You can lock onto a target by holding down Alt. There is no "cycle through potential targets" key.

- You will get murdered if you leap into the middle of a group of guys, which is all too easy to do early on. Don't be afraid to do a strategic retreat: attack, roll away, attack - etc. If you are getting closed in then run away a bit. If you are in an enclosed area then it is hard to find space but just keep moving.

- Left mouse button is a quick strike and right mouse button is a heavy blow. You should favor the quick hit early on, but a good way to take someone down quickly is to do a couple of quick hits followed by a heavy hit. Quick hits even work on armored guys: if you try to take someone down just using heavy hits then they will usually counter you. You can do a lot of damage if you attack someone from behind or the side, and the same applies when they attack you.

- Signs are great, even at the start before you increase your skill in any of them. Aard can stun people but it is not that reliable at the start. Yrden places a trap on the group that can completely disable one foe - very useful if you have the space to use it. Igni does not do enough damage at the start. Quen should be your "default" Sign most of the time, since it protects you from being staggered when hit. Note that you do not regenerate health when Quen is active. Axii is good at the start of an encounter to mind control one person to be on your side. You have to power up Axii by holding the "Q" key down, so it is only useful before the fight starts, unless you can run a distance away.

- Use your potions and bombs. They make a big difference and it is easy to make lots of them not too far into the game. You can also find or craft traps.

- As the previous poster mentioned, don't hoard stuff. Collect things you think might be rare, but common stuff like iron ore, timber, cloth is all over. You can leave it where it is until you discover a need to collect it. You will find way more crafting/recipe items than you need so do not hang onto potions, bombs etc. You really are meant to use them - it's what Witchers do.

- Geralt usually uses swords, but there are some good alternative weapons to be found. Don't be afraid to use these weapons, particularly early in the game.

- There are stealth portions to the game. They are quite hard, but forgiving if you fail. Although hard, they are quite doable if you proceed with a lot of patience (not easy in a usually fast-paced game). You can extinguish torches. You can knock guys out if you approach directly from behind and right-click. You cannot stand against the wall and have a guard walk past you like in the movies - they will see you. You just have to wait until they have their back to you - even if they are some distance away - and then rush them. If two guards can see each other then don't even try to knock one out, wait until they split up and do not have LOS. If you watch guards from afar then you can easily see the best time to approach them from behind. You don't sneak right up to them, you get close-ish but not too close, wait for them to turn away (back directly facing you), and then rush them.

- If you have a Witcher 1 save then it imports some Orens (gold) and items, plus it may have minor dialogue influences. The items imported are not that much better than what you start with by default, so do not expect having a Witcher 1 save to make the game easier. Any imported items start in your inventory - not equipped. You have to equip them.

- There's no traditional tutorial. Do the flashback sequences in order because you'll be tossed into the furnace without being able to practice.

- Combat is deadly as the developers openly stated their Demon's Souls influence. One-against-one Geralt is a beast but you're almost always fighting three or more guys. Enemies inflict +200% damage on your flank and certain hits stagger you which means you can be juggled to death in literally two seconds. In tight spaces cast quen (absorbs damage, prevents stagger) and use every bomb and area attack to not die horribly. In open areas use Geralt's speed to your advantage by running circles around enemies, laying traps, casting yrden (creates a paralyzing trap), cast igni or aard to whittle away opponents, and dodge roll behind people to stab them in the back. Understand there's a slight pause between certain actions so be patient and don't jump the gun or you'll die. Simple as that.

- Axii is an underrated spell. Hold down the casting button over an enemy to temporarily mind control them. You have to pull it off from a good distance but in large groups it causes all enemies to target the hypnotized enemy which makes flanking them easy.

- Before going out in the wilderness or a dungeon suck down some potions. You have to be in a relatively safe area to do this and they last about 5-10 minutes. Swallow is an important one because there are no conventional healing abilities.

- Don't horde. I keep reading posts about people hitting the weight limit but this is ridiculous because there's no point in hauling a bunch of junk around. It would be nice if they brought back the storage from the first game but you have plenty of space. Sell weapons and armor you don't need, sell anything labeled "junk" in the menu screen, and sell off any common crafting equipment that you can find by looting a random house like cloth or timber. Brew some potions and bombs when you run low and sell off everything else that's terribly common like monster ingredients.

- You have to keep your formulas to use them despite the fact they're added to the journal. It sucks that they weigh .1 pounds while books (which add an entry to your journal) somehow weigh 0 pounds so hopefully next week's announced patch fixes this oversight.

- Pressing "Z" activates the wolf medallion which highlights objects. It also reveals magical auras and environmental hazards.

- You can double click on a quest in the journal to mark it on the mini-map. Blue and green dots that show up on the mini-map are important NPCs while enemies show up as red dots if you use the wolf medallion to mark them.

- The game is about delayed choices so you won't notice the effects of your actions until later. Be warned about the occasional quick-time-event (they're fortunately rare) and timed dialog choice.
On that note - anyone have anything to say about Pokemon Conquest?

theshim
May 1, 2012

I've read the wiki, but does anyone have any more advice for Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura? Specifically things like what are all these abbreviations on equipment, and how do I stop falling over every time I get in a fight?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Going to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution soon. Anything to add on top of the wiki's page?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Anything I should know for Suikoden Tierkreis?

theshim
May 1, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Thanks for the Grimrock tips guys, I'm having a much smoother time of it now. Running with an armor/sword fighter, evasion/dagger rogue, archery rogue and an ice mage. I'll report back if they get horribly murdered too often. :v:
I'm running two fighters, a throwing minotaur, and an ice mage. Everything was going fine until I backed into a wall by accident and got eaten by spiders. :ohdear: But echoing the thanks for the tips!

Of note regarding P3P - the game is far, far easier than vanilla P3/FES because of two factors: Direct Command and Skill Cards. Skill Cards especially shatter the game later on; it's really easy to just slot Growth 3 on everyone and get even more high-end skills. There's a place at the shrine where you can get a skill card copied (randomly selected, just keep retrying until you get the one you want) so don't feel like you have to hoard them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Alouicious posted:

How is going into Tartarus set up, is it like going into the TV World in 4? Does it burn a day you could have spent developing Social Links, is basically what I'm asking.
You go in at night, so you can do a link during the afternoon and then go at night.

theshim
May 1, 2012

One thing that this doesn't mention about Physical Shield - the spell basically functions like the Energy Shield of Diablo, absorbing damage from mana rather than health. However, in addition to that, it also both prevents flinching and - far more importantly - taking damage does not reduce your combat multiplier while active.

If you don't feel like doing stupid things like beating your wife, which is stupid, there's an arena a decent chunk of the way through the game. With Physical Shield and a nice stock of mana potions, you can get your combat multiplier into the mid-40s without trouble. Just quit out of the quest around 8 waves in and you'll retain the absurd amounts of XP and can run it again.

Also of note is that the rare potions you can find which give you a straight 1k experience of one type? Those are boosted by your multiplier too. Anything that gets your multiplier crazy high, use your potions then for a ridiculous amount of experience.

theshim
May 1, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Anything for Devil Survivor 2? The first one had a few "blink and you'll miss it" things, 'it' being ways to save people. Also, the viability of any builds would be helpful too, as I tend to go Strength builds in SMT games and that kinda screwed me last game.
As the wiki says (heh, I think those were my comments) Strength builds are much more viable now. Specifically, Str/Agi builds, as there are skills which hit multiple times based on your Agility, the later version of which targets all enemies. It's also possible to have more than one person with Pierce, removing the biggest problem DS1 had. Do note that the various characters you recruit will fill pretty much every niche, though - there's one in particular who specs very well on the Str/Agi build, for example - so don't feel obligated to go with any one build.

In terms of saving people: the game notifies you in advance when someone is going to die much more clearly than DS1, and there's basically no gimmicks about it - just do the events with that person/searching for that person, and you'll save them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

Any tips for Fire Emblem: Awakening?

I'm specifically looking for non-spoilery info on when generation 2 starts (Chapter 11? Or 12?) and if you have to have everyone paired off before then. And what about Robin (your avatar)? Can you still get Morgan if you S rank a relationship with a 2nd-gen character?

I also seem to have two extra 1st gen males with no one to pair up with (not including my avatar). Is that supposed to happen?
Aight, let me take a crack at this.

Gen 2 doesn't work the same in Awakening as it did in FE4. The way it works for everyone but Chrom is that once you finish Chapter 13, any married couple's child can be recruited through a Paralogue. If you haven't paired anyone yet, fret not; the Paralogue will open when you get the S-rank - though do note that you will not be able to reach some of the Paralogue chapters from the World Map until you advance the story past certain points. There will be a couple guys left high and dry, this is normal.

Each of the women you recruit by that point can have a child. In addition, Chrom will always have a child who joins you during Chapter 13. Robin is unique in that he or she will always produce Morgan, even if paired with one of the second-gen characters (who can be paired with each other and Robin but do not produce children of their own) or one of the later first-gen characters (who also do not have children). Morgan will always be the opposite gender of Robin. If Robin is male and marries one of the first-gen women, they will have both the woman's child and Morgan.

Chrom is unique in that his pairing is locked in at the end of Chapter 11, even though the child doesn't join until chapter 13. If Chrom does not yet have an S-rank, whoever he has the highest rank with will shoot up to S immediately. If all of Chrom's potential wives are taken or he has no support points with any of them (even if he didn't get a C rank, for example), he will marry a nameless village girl. Pairing Chrom with Olivia, who you only recruit in Chapter 11, necessitates you avoiding or marrying off his other candidates and having Olivia pair up with or dance for Chrom in Chapter 11 to earn some support points.

As far as inherited skills are concerned, Chrom is again the exception. Everyone else passes down the last skill they have slotted to their child (so you can freely reorder them to pass down whichever one you want). Note that the skills and stats of the child are not locked in until you actually select "Fight!" on the Paralogue - you can even go in and exit back to the world map to reset skills or level up more. Chrom, however, will always pass down Aether to his daughters, and Rightful King to his sons, even if he has not learned the skills.

All of this is nifty and you can really not worry about any of it unless playing on Lunatic or trying for the super-hard DLC which isn't even released yet. Enjoy yourself with the game, it's pretty much impossible to screw up!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

One thing about Borderlands 2's slot machines to keep in mind though: The loot they'll spit out levels up with the level of your current main storyline quest, so you might want to gamble once that levels up (and is equal or higher to your current level) rather than after doing a bunch of sidequests when you might be a couple of levels over your main storyline quest, otherwise all the loot you'll get from the slot machines will be underleveled.
And one other thing: in the bar, you can also tip Moxxi. Do this enough times (it's somewhat random but around 15-20k is usually enough to trigger it) and she'll give you one of two purple SMGs, one corrosive, one fire. They are really damned good and will last you for quite a while if you get them level-appropriate. She will give you new ones later on as well, it's not a one-time thing IIRC, but since they scale with storyline level rather than your own, like the slots, just get them whenever.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

Not true.
I've recently left most of the sidequests in Sanctuary open and did some other stuff on the side, and even some 5 levels later they're still at the level they were when I got to Sanctuary and I had tons of level 8 and 9 quests when I was already at 13.

E: And by leaving them open, I mean not even touching the quest so they'd still be set to "(Undiscovered)" in the quest list, if they showed up there at all.

In fact, this is honestly my biggest complaint about the game right now and kind of keeping me from wanting to play it even.
This only applies to the second playthrough, not the first; in the first all of them are set at a given level. The reason the tip is important at all is that some sidequests give unique, one-time rewards when you complete them that scale to the level of the quest in PT2 - it is therefore recommended to avoid these quests until you reach level 50 and the items are maxed out, as some of them are used in top-tier builds.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Anyone got anything for King's Bounty: Armored Princess? I'm around level 10 in the game, clearing out the second and third islands, and Royal Thorns and Royal Snakes are kicking rear end (though I haven't been able to find more than the 3 Royal Thorns on the first island, which means they're falling a bit behind).

theshim
May 1, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Anything that summons or revives is amazing. You should always have Demonologists, in particular.

e: also, learn to kite around mobs as much as possible and get maps for islands further in. Even if you can'tdo the combat in those islands, you can always just park your boat next to some runes and grab them.
Where the hell do I get said Demonologists?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You do not need to play any other Persona (or any SMT) games to enjoy P4. There are a couple references and little things, especially to P3, but nothing terribly significant.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Anything I should know about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?
Go pure Light or Dark side; there's no bonuses for being neutral.

If you really want to min/max, don't level up past level 4 or so until your class changes (you'll know when this happens). It makes a small part of the game a bit harder but gives you more powers towards the end. It's not necessary, though; KotOR isn't terribly hard.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

3). A True ending that has a few anal requirements but is absolutely worth getting:
One minor addition which is one of the biggest "how the hell should I have gotten that" in a completely ridiculous set: When talking to the mushroom, you'll get the Mushroom Badge. You now have to open your inventory and examine the mushroom badge, and only then can you talk to the mushroom again and fight it.

I love Cave Story, it's a fantastic game, but some of the requirements for the True Ending are utterly counterintuitive or just plain dumb.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Mass Effect 2

Gun fights are so slowly paced. I'm an infiltrator. What's the most optimal play-style for that class?
Find cover. Cloak. Headshot. Repeat.

A cloaked headshot will oneshot anything below miniboss tier, cripple minibosses, and will deal a huge chunk of damage to bosses...and that's before you get the Widow.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Anything for Orcs Must Die 2? I did not play the first, sadly.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Artix posted:

Help me out guys, I just got Etrian Odyssey IV. I've played a decent amount of EO3 if that helps, but it's been a long time.
Resting only costs two levels now, so it's pretty easy to move stuff around if you don't like your build.

The game is far more generous than the earlier games in the series, for the most part, and nearly any party can make it through. A good starting party should probably have at least one of Nightseeker/Sniper and Medic/Dancer. I ran the party on the game box my first run - Fortress, Landsknecht, Nightseeker, Sniper, Medic, and it stood me in good stead, though you'll want to run the Link skills on your Landsknecht if you go this way for some elemental damage.

Once you get to the second land and gain a few levels, the sheep FOEs on the worldmap are the easiest grinding in the game. The rare mushrooms you can find there will make them rare breeds, which are worth nearly 50k exp a pop.

Nightseekers are decent early on but become the undisputed kings of damage once you start hitting the third tier skills at level 40. In particular, Venom Throw is insanely good, dealing 700 damage per turn when maxed out. Combine that with Auto-Spread and you can one-round virtually all encounters with one shot.

The Runemaster's first set of runes are worth getting to rank 3 if you run one, which will cut down on damage of the appropriate element by a huge amount.

For the first maze, Arm Bind from a Sniper or Blind from a Nightseeker are extremely useful against the FOEs and boss, and it doesn't hurt to have both. Leg Bind and Paralysis are very good in the second maze, and both remain very useful for the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Don't feel like you need a Fortress to progress in the game. A lot of people really like defensive strategies, but I didn't have one for the entire game because I hate pure tank units, and I did fine.
Seconding this - I ran a group in my second run that had a Landsknecht as my primary tank for a while, and later switched to a Dancer/Fortress as the tankiest member, and I beat the postgame superbosses with that party. EO4 is extremely generous with what classes it will allow you to run.

Also there's a General EO thread over here where people will be happy to answer more detailed questions.