Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Kleptobot posted:

Sengoku by Paradox Interactive. Got it as a Steam gift and I have no clue what I'm doing.

This is from a bit back, but check out the Paradox Megathread for details and help. Sadly, the biggest piece of advice will be "play Crusader Kings II instead." Sengoku was essentially a tech demo for CKII, from what I understand.

If you get CKII and get stuck there, read Kersh's LP. Really, do that anyway. You'll get a sense of how Paradox games play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Katana of Wisdom posted:

I'm a few hours into Crusader Kings 2 and I was wondering if there are any quick tips to help me out. The wiki only has CK1, and the thread is gigantic and intimidating. Like what should I be doing with my council besides fabricating claims? Is it worth using the tech research option?

Council positions: the go-to is usually spymaster set to Scheme on your capital, steward sent to collect taxes on your richest demense province, marshall to train troops wherever you have the most castles, and your chaplain either converting provinces (if you have any heathens) or boosting your relations with any bishops that are still giving money to the Pope instead of you. The chancellor is more or less always on "fabricate claims" unless there's someone you really want to keep happy.

-Sword of Islam and the Republic DLCs only enable you to play muslims/merchant republics. Everything else was built in with the patch. The only DLC that expands on the default Christian feudal lord experience is Legacy of Rome, which lets you have Retinues (essentially standing armies).

-You can outsiege the AI by splitting your army up into smaller units and sieging a bunch of provinces at once.

-If a battle will be close, try to have it so you're defending over a river crossing or on hills/mountains (use terrain mode to check). Straights and amphibious landings are similar.

-Stacking cavalry will cause massive the enemy to take massive losses in the pursuit phase of battle (when they're retreating).

-If you press a courtier's claim and they're either a de jure vassal or of your dynasty, they become/stay your vassal. You can invite claimants to your court, marry them matrilineally to your kinswomen, and press their children's claim when they inherit it, netting you land a full duchy at a time.

-Holy wars against infidels and heretics are another good way to nab whole duchies, but those can get out of control if their neighbors join in to defend the faith.

-If you're kingdom- or empire-level, it can be very profitable to pick a coastal mayor and turn him into a merchant republic. Grant him the county and duchy he lives in. They won't get more powerful by inheriting other vassal titles, and they pay a big pile in taxes.

-You can build additional holdings in a province if there's room. Coastal cities can net you some nice taxes, while baronies (castles) net you more troops.

-Scheming isn't a particularly effective way to break up factions. If a vassal likes you (positive opinion), shares your religion/culture, and doesn't want any titles from you (no "desires X" opinion maluses), and isn't a claimant to your titles, they will leave their faction. Solve what you can with handing out titles and bribing people, and kill or imprison the rest.

Check the thread for other clever stuff or if you have specific questions.