Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I kind of want to give Skyrim and Fallout 3 another go. In both games I was very engaged by the story, but my early-level character was constantly being killed by really stupid enemies like fire mages or those walking crab things or whatever so I ragequit. Assume I just suck at Bethesda combat, are there any mods that make combat or character progression a little easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Anything for Dragon's Dogma specifically for the Strider vocation? My blades seems to hit like a wet noodle.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Nohman posted:

I've finally gotten around to playing the Mass Effect series and have made it up to Mass Effect 3? What should I know? Any DLC worth grabbing? What's the score?

Most people would suggest getting Leviathan and From Ashes due to hating the original ending. I personally didn't mind the ending too much but I wasn't very much invested in mass effect and Cmd. Shepard, either.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Vadun posted:

Fable III:

I'm past the Point of No Return and trying to be super friendly happy King. I have enough funds on hand to make a huge investment in the real estate market but how does the uh.. Calendar system work? Can I literally just idle in town, and as long as I don't turn in the last quest on the days agenda the day wont tick over?

I just left my 360 on for 3 days and forgot I was playing Fable 3 until I turn the TV back on. Voila, millions of dollars. The calendar stops at some amount of days.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Any tips for Crawmerax in Borderlands with 2 people? We can't even make a dent in his health and he one shots us both. We're level 68 and 69 Siren and Hunter respectively.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Any tips for Persona 3 Portable? I'm on the fourth block and I'm finding the combat a little tedious. Use x element that shadow is weak to, All-Out Attack, repeat until win. I'm not normally much of a min-maxer in RPGs but I'd do anything to make the combat go by quicker.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Any tips for the original Final Fantasy? It's a lot harder than any RPG in recent memory.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

There's a Dragon's Dogma thread, people there are very helpful!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486035

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

bhaltair posted:

Recently bought Dragon Age: Origins -- what else should I know other than what's already here? http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Age:_Origins

Thinking of rolling an Arcane Warrior on my first play through based on how good they seem to be.

Arcane Warrior is unlocked in a quest which you could do first (Brecillian Forest), but it is suggested that you save it for last.

I'd recommend rolling with 3 mages (yourself, Morrigan, Wynne) and Alistair, instead. Save Arcane Warrior for a second playthrough. All the other advice there is pretty solid, though. If you do Circle of Magi first, don't like The Fade sour you on the rest of the game.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Malcolm posted:

In Dragon Age: Origins I thought it would be fun to mix it up and play a sword-and-board dwarf. I was wrong, and should have played 3 mages.

I played sword and board for my third playthrough, it's not impossible, I think my party was Leliana and the two mages. Generally having more than one melee character is a bad idea though. I also built Morrigan as all debuffs, because I was tired of taking Cones of Cold and Fire to the face.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Sounds like it should be, at the very least, something worth experiencing? Nice.

If that was what The Leper Colon V was implying, I'm going to have to strongly disagree. My old terrible :spergin: of a roommate loved that game, he wouldn't shut up about his loving "loli waifu" and man there's some real dumb poo poo in there.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Just picked up Fiz. consistently making a profit on anything higher quality than Grubbs Light seems beyond me. Is it hopeless?

Are you selling in Eddy's? Have you gotten the upgraded version of Grubb's? That one sells well.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 22, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

- Many of the pawn inclinations suck. Your pawn can have a primary, secondary, and hidden tertiary inclination. Scather/Challenger as primary and utilitarian as secondary seems like a good combo. Guardian and Nexus can be pretty bad unless you know what you are doing and have some scheme in mind; avoid hiring pawns with these inclinations

Related to this, don't use the D-Pad commands, they will change your Main pawn's inclination.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Anything for Watch_Dogs? There are... a lot of skill unlocks. What's best to do first? Is money important to accumulate? Also, any weapon unlocks come highly recommended that you can do early on?

I actually thought the game was pretty OK, typical Ubisoft "dickhead protagonist with holier-than-thou attitude" aside. I went for hacking and driving skills first, since there's few missions in the game that doesn't involve either. I never went out of my way to farm levels or anything but I had all the skills unlocked by the end.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm playing Fire Emblem on GBA, like 9 chapters in, 3 characters have already died, I guess I won't get them back? Am I supposed to start over? Or can you restart missions where people died? I have no clue how to play this. Is there a right way to do it?

FWIW I actually enjoy replaying the levels after my guys die, and because I like to keep the same group of people going sometimes I gotta figure out how to work around my squad's weaknesses. It's by no means the only way to play the game though.

Also the people who die in Lyn's story don't die permanently, but you can't use them in Lyn's story again.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

They patched GZ so you can upload your save then download at any time on TPP. The most important thing is getting the S Rank support operative. Some achievements unlocked in GZ give you a handful of mooks. You'll get the Solid Snake skin if you unlocked it in Deja Vu and an alternate sneaking suit. You'll have to beat a mission or two after transferring before they show up.

Does the ranking of the mission in GZ affect the quality of the prisoner recruits you get from the other missions that's not the rescue intel operative?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

What do the extra objectives in MGSV actually get you? One that I still haven't been able to get after numerous tries in the Don't let the Man on Fire attack in the prologue and I can't figure it out. I wish there was a way to check on the objective without completing the mission so I know if I should load a checkpoint.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I'm picking up my playthrough of Mass Effect 1 after 2 years of leaving it alone. I was apparently doing some moon base side mission and I'm being immediately murdered by drones with rockets. I don't remember having much trouble with this game back on the Xbox even one Insanity (I'm playing on PC now on Veteran).

Am I misremembering or do I just suck now? Also was the ally AI always this bad?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Thanks for the tips y'all. I have the rich achievement so equipment isn't an issue but good to know those rocket drones were just fuckers regardless.

exquisite tea posted:

There's no shame in cheating yourself into some God Armor or 99999999 credits using the console commands for Mass Effect 1. As someone who has played through it legitimately three or four times now, I can say the combat has not aged well and all the inventory management is a pain. Just cheat into the best weapons so that you can focus on ragdolling dudes and shaking down some space jellyfish for extra credits.

I'm OK with the combat but yeah the inventory system is total rear end.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

I've been playing Rogue Galaxy and the only thing that I wish i had known earlier is that you can scan an asteroid to tell if it's going to have anything in it when you mine it.

You're probably talking about Rebel Galaxy and not Rogue Galaxy right

I've repeatedly made the same mistake this last week

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes but it requires the 2nd rank of the Local Leader perk to do so, and then you have to assign citizens to do it for each settlement (1 each). Note that if you have several, linking one to another also links it to any that one is linked to, so you can have a spoke-and-hub or a big circle arrangement.

It's actually just the first rank, second lets you craft workstations and the stalls that passively generate caps.

The trade routes don't need to loop and can just be a straight line. If you only connect A to B to C to D, all 4 will have all the resources you have even though D doesn't link back to A. For OCD's sake though I made it a big circle.

Adding on to some of the tips mentioned before

-You can equip any settler in your settlements also in the same way as Dogmeat but as far as I can tell they're invincible? So it's just aesthetics

-Farming seems to be the only job that settlers will assign themselves to without you asking. But if you have one settler assigned to a guard post, and you build a new guard post that guard will assign themselves automatically so long as they have a free work slot (I think this is 3 guard posts per settler, or 8 crops per settler)

-The standard gun mods seem to only cost basic materials plus screws and not adhesive, so if you see one you like it still might be worth it to craft a default mod so you can swap it out.

-A shirt and slacks will give you the same amount of CHA as a suit and weighs 2 less, so that's an extra 20 Tin Cans you can pick up!

-When you dismiss a companion you can choose which settlement to send them to, and if you fill their inventory with stuff it's an easy way to move gear to equip settlers with, but again I don't think it's necessary to do that but it is fun

-Settlers also seem to have infinite ammo so long as they have at least one bullet of the appropriate type in their inventory

-Certain side quests that seem to be randomly generated, like kidnappings can expire if you don't get to them quickly enough

-With the super-mutants that are intent on delivering a certain football sized package to your face, shooting the arm they are carrying it in will make them drop their cargo much to the chagrin of their homies

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

They're technically infinite, I'd say 3/4 times I've talked a merchnat they've had a core on them

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone explain how to manipulate the stock market in GTA V? On PS3 if that matters. I'm basically just dicking around trying to raise stats and stuff before I get heavy into doing missions.

The only major changes comes after concluding an assassination mission, which is why most recommend saving those ones until you've got a big bucket of change.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Can I play E:D as an open space shooter or will there always be an hour of bumbling about trading spice at a 0.7% markup between fights

There should be plenty of combat missions to take and you can shoot pirates to get their bounties also.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

X-Com Enemy Within - I'm about mission four or five into this game, and it just seems unbelievably difficult. I am presently assaulting an alien base, I have a sniper, heavy and support guy and two mooks - there are trios of chrysalids who can kill 1.5 dudes per turn and then turn them into zombies. The Chrysalids have got 8 HP or so and zombies 10 HP, and the most damage I can possibly do is around 6-7 per turn. I managed to get past the first section after a few reloads but I'm in a room with 2 beam drones, 2 stealth guys and 3 chrysalids and it just seems completely impossible.

Is it the intent for me to fail this/some/most missions including having my 'best' guys die? Is it the intent to save and reload multiple times for the perfect execution?

Also keep in mind the save-scumming particular actions will not work. For example if you save before your sniper takes a 75% shot and he misses, reloading that save does not mean he gets another roll. All the rolls are based on seeds generated every time anything happens, so you have to do something different to get a different result.

As well, it's not always advantageous to Overwatch. If an enemy unit can see the overwatching unit, it will 99% of the time take a shot at whoever is in range rather than move and trigger a shot.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Trying to play no-kill, no-detection put me off both DE:HR and Dishonoured. Not the games' fault, but really my stupid achievement obsession. My tip is to not play those games this way unless you hate yourself.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Anything for NEO Scavenger?

I made it to Boston and I still have very little idea what I'm doing in terms of combat and what the poo poo I'm supposed to be doing.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Booted up my PS3 for the first time in a long time today and it seems that at some point I've acquired Yakuza 4. I've never played a Yakuza game before but I hear good things, so I'm going to give it a go. I've looked at the advice on the wiki, but is there anything else I should know? Thank you.

Nope, that's pretty much it, it's a very straightforward game aside from the hostess stuff which is entirely optional pretty much. If you want to do that part just google for a guide.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

The world ends.

It's also one of the missions that the game will let you retry even on ironman mode.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Anything for the PSX version of Final Fantasy 1+2 that's not already on the wiki?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Is there a place to read the lore of King of Dragon Pass before buying it?

Hrm, I'm sure it's online somewhere, but part of the game is unlocking the lore through in game events so I'm not sure you'd want to spoil yourself. You could read the wiki and get some background info though?

http://kingofdragonpass.wikia.com/wiki/King_of_Dragon_Pass_Wiki

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Useless. You get minor amounts of coin, sometimes cards, and there's gwent quests that grant XP also but XP isn't exactly hard to come by. Really the only reason to play gwent is to get more cards for playing gwent.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Watch Gaijin Hunter's videos on Youtube for any weapons you like, and Kiranico for armor sets and item locations etc. it's not a game that should be played without external resources

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Wouldn't you be better served looking at a walkthrough? This threads is more for general tips and not specific plot points?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

UPDATE: I was wrong about this. Basically, these 'steal the X and deliver it to a racket to increase its earn' optional missions will be available as long as you have a racket available that hasn't maxed out its earn yet. I was confused because the game seemed to indicate that I had a mission available despite having all of that particular assets' rackets earns maxed out, and yet when I went to the spot, there was nothing to steal.

So yeah, if you have available earn to increase for a particular asset, their right hand associate will have a "steal a boat/truck and bring it to a racket" mission ready for you to bring that number up. If everything's maxed, don't bother with these missions, no matter what the game tries to tell you, it's tricking you.

On a related note, since it appears that you can max out your rackets in this manner with just one optional mission per racket, there's no particular reason to recruit informants or bosses, since that extra earn money is superfluous. Might as well just kill them and take the instant cash, unless there are rackets later on that are harder to max out the earn for them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Every person you recruit increases that racket's max earn, rather than just contributing towards it. You still max out the max earn with the optional missions though. Since the abilities unlocked by each underboss is determined by how much their total earn is, you'll want to do all of these (and their loyalty missions) should you want to unlock as many abilities as possible.

Money has been completely superfluous in the game when I finished it, eventually you can unlock the ability to collect all the Earn automatically without having to pickup yourself. I never bought all the guns but I did max out the upgrades for the two types I used.

You can't max out all three underbosses, so you'll want to pick and choose your favourites. I was able to max out 2, and I had done literally all the missions in the game and spared everyone.

I also didn't see a point to assigning an different underboss the hold a racket and then assigning the district to a different one. None of the abilities were really so powerful that I would've wanted it temporarily so I just assigned the rackets to whichever underboss I was going to give the district to in the end.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any advice for else Heartbreak? So far I have looked in about 20 garbage cans and smoked a cigarette some guy gave me.

Dunno if it has changed much from when I played but most of the fun was in trying to break poo poo or do weird stuff to the world, the story was thin and at times just incomprehensible, if you're stuck it's entirely possible that the game itself is broken, I'd probably just play with a walkthrough

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Also going back to 3 after 4 and 5 is painful. I found 3's dungeons bland even before playing 4 and 5 and I can't imagine doing it after having played 5.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I seem to remember that it also came out at the height of when "guerrilla marketing" bullshit was prevalent and they hired some actors to enact a Westboro Baptist Church-lite protest outside E3 which certainly didn't leave games industry people a favourable impression of the "franchise"

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I feel like this should be considered a spoiler in Journey's case.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

The short version is it doesn't really. The whole conceit is that you are the one Warrior of Light that's gonna save the world or whatever so multiple people don't factor into it.

Nothing is stopping you from doing the quests while in a party I guess, but you'll all have to talk to quest NPCs individually and the "cinematic battles" you'll fight with NPCs are also instanced to only you and might ask you to drop party first. You might be able to

The party aspects of FFXIV really only comes in with dungeons, FATEs, hunts, trials, raids and path of the damned. But that's really the meat of the game, and quests are largely ignored (with exceptions like Hildebrand and Postmoogle) as opposed to something like WoW where questing was your primary source of XP. It's probably easier to think of the MSQ as a single-player campaign for the game or something. You're also not really progressing zone-to-zone like you would in WoW, while zones have a level range, the story never takes you through a very defined path and frequently has you hopping all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

As regards Dragon Age Origins, is there any sort of downside to slapping heavy armor on a rogue? Besides pissing away attribute points on strength so I can wear the drat things I mean.

It will decrease the amount of stamina available to use if the fatigue penalty exceeds a threshold and make your skills cost more stamina to use, which basically turns the rogue into an autoattacker and that point you may as well make a dual wielding warrior instead.

You can do a rogue tank build, but that uses light armor and instead pumps dex for high evasion. Dragon Age is kinda cool because all three base classes can spec into a tank (and arguably Mages actually make the best tanks)