Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ainsley McTree posted:

My girlfriend is nearing the end of dragon age 2, so now it's time to ask: what's a good class to play in Dragon age Inquisition for someone who's not very good at video games?

I would say melee rogue and encourage her to get stealth upgrades and do crafting.

It's all very well talking about Knight enchanters and so on, but you don't get specializations until you're a way into the game, by which time you'll be pretty good at everything anyway. Personally I found being a mage heartbreakingly dull in Inquisition, after it had been so great in earlier Dragon Ages - only the Rift mages get interesting spells, and them only quite late. Archers can at least move a little while fighting, but slowly, which for me at least is just frustrating. Melee rogues get to move fast (at the press of a button, not requiring player dexterity) and hide whenever things are tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

As for attributes: Resolve is the very best stat for conversation options, I think, followed by Perception and Intelligence. Constitution is the worst, so you might want to pick a weedy class.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Crusader Kings 2 if I never played a Paradox game? The wiki entry is pretty sparse.

I think the most important thing for a beginner to realize is that you really don't have to conquer the world, you just have to keep your dynasty alive and enjoy the events.

Don't be afraid to speed up your game, especially early on.

Invite people to your court. Especially quick strong attractive geniuses with claims to land. The Find people thing at the bottom right is very useful.

Give your family members land - but force them to marry suitably first. They will make terrible decisions once they escape from your court.

The downside of CK2's long development is that all the tutorials are out of date. They can give you good ideas, but be aware that some things may not work any more.The upside is that the game is incredibly rich and there are masses of things you can do. Try everything, and don't forget to plot.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Kalenden posted:

Anything for Thea: The Awakening?

Blunt weapons are good because your hit can carry over to the next card.
Don't be afraid to skip combat against feeble opponents, the AI is decent.
Buildings help you attract people (etc) to your settlement, and can attract more or different species depending on the building material you use. Humans like nuts or grains in their pastures, if I remember correctly. (Or is it their cabbage fields? Been a while since I played, sorry.)

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 28, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

What would be considered essential / appropriate for the wiki?

Personally, I'd say not the stuff about mods, bosses, combat (except possibly the 'you don't have to aim the crossbow' tip, I hadn't realized that), or crafting (except perhaps the advice about high level crafting ingredients to hang on to). These are things I expect to learn in-game, or if I seek out mods. But most of the Skills and Odds and Ends sections are useful

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Kruller posted:

The less lovely one, imo, is saving the kids by freeing the tree spirit. Sure, it causes a lot of bad poo poo, but those kids were innocent.

Strongly disagree on that, since the bad poo poo is a lot more people dying. In fact that's the only place I couldn't live with what happened and had to go back and redo the whole quest chain again.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Kruller posted:

Sure, more people die, but those people are sacrificing their kids to witches. Yes, it's also worse if the Baron dies, because his men suck, but those kids did nothing wrong. Adults can handle themselves. See? All endings are lovely.

I doubt the spirit spares children, and the Baron's men certainly don't. I agree that none of the endings are exactly happy, of course.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

For X3 Albion Prelude:

You will not be able to get past the second main quest (Trial by fire) if you have positive Terran approval. So do this quest early. It does require combat however so if you can trade enough to get yourself at least an M4 first you will find it easier.

The Terran economy is dying because they have no basic food producers (so their stock exchange is the least profitable). Once you've got past Trial by fire you might want to try to increase your Terran approval and set up some Protein paste factories to help them keep ticking over.

The easiest way to make money is via a Teladi stock exchange. The Index for each product is a demand vs supply rating. You want to buy products with an Index of 100+, as their price will be at the minimum; but make sure there is at least some demand for them or the price will never go up.

You can double-click on a point in the Sector map to autopilot to that position.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 3, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I just rolled a soldier as well and I think I'd prefer something more interesting anyway.

Any of the other classes is more interesting but I'd go for Adept to get the most fun spells and keep enemies away from you. It does mean you have pathetic weapons though, so you could also go Vanguard if you like closer combat (a shotgun is handy against husks), or Infiltrator if you really enjoy sniping.

If you're having trouble in the timed section of intro mission, I'd just advise sending your allies forward over the narrow bridge asap. It's not as though the idiots stay in cover if you don't.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Can someone do MGS 5 for me? Im just getting into it

It's a game I've never managed to get through, but here is what I learned from my longest run:

1) Just carry on in every mission unless you are actually killed, because replaying every section in search of perfection is too boring (or gamey, if you keep nipping back to the checkpoints. How I hate checkpoint systems).
2) You can play as a woman or any other character in your combat unit, once you get a combat unit (which was after mission 8 for me). You don't have the nice features of the bionic arm, of course.
3) Interrogate your own soldiers. They appreciate it and sometimes tell you something useful.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Get into the habit of checking your staff roster every time you return to the helicopter and boot any troublemakers straight away.

This is easier once you discover that you can sort the list so it shows most recently added first. Took me a shameful length of time to notice that.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

im cute posted:

I've never had any use for Illusion except to make townies kill each other. The 'Quiet Casting' perk is very useful, however. Just keep casting Muffle over and over until you can get it.

Illusion is absolutely essential for a low-kills playthrough, i.e. if you're trying to play as a pacifist as much as possible. But you really have to commit to it early on and avoid too much levelling up via other skills, or the level caps on the spell effects (a terrible idea, IMO) really hurt you.

If you do it well it's a lot of fun for a while, actually. Harmony eventually makes most fights too easy, but dragons are immune to illusion spells so when they attack you have to rush madly around healing and rallying NPCs instead.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OutofSight posted:

Ant tips for Thea: The Awakening?

Mainly just enjoy it, it's a great game.

Don't have too many crafters. You'll always want your best crafter making you expensive stuff, and your gatherers will struggle to get them enough materials.

Horos is a great god if you find night time annoying.

There is a bulk button on the dismantle button. I wish I had noticed that long before I did.

If you want to go right through to the end of the giants quest, attracting elves to your settlement as early as possible by building with elven wood will be very helpful indeed. (Because they do piercing damage with axes.)

The larger your population gets, the less likely it is that your children will grow up. So if you've attracted lowlevel beasts to your settlement you might want to send them out alone to die. (If you are a hard hearted monster.)

The more diverse your party's members, the more options you'll have in any quest, so don't keep all your weedy characters at home.

You get research points by crafting. Always be crafting. (Cooking food counts, though not as much as better stuff or buildings.) Depending on what materials you have plenty of, it can be worth researching 1 handed swords for example just so you can churn out crappy swords with cheap materials for the research points.

Definitely try out different options for quests on new playthroughs, they're mostly pretty fun and quite often surprising.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 17, 2018

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

What I'd like to know about RDR2 is how much racing is involved. Is it every quest, as in RDR1? (I loved the writing and the side things in that, I just find racing really dull.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

I finally picked up Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. What should I know going in?

I on the other hand love this game. Playing as Kassandra is recommended (but not essential). Enemies more than a level above you are too hard. The HUD can be customised but I'd recommend not getting rid of the obtrusive button guide until you have a feel for your adrenaline point decrease. All builds are viable and you can easily respec. Dismantle rather than sell unwanted blue and purple armour, you'll need lots of resources for your ship. Beeline the main quest to start with until you get to the spear forge.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I've been considering playing Dragon Age Inquisition since I have access to it as part of Origin Premier. I played a bit of the first one and none of the second. Is that going to be an issue if I just try to play Inquisition straight away? Am I missing a bunch of old save bonuses like I would with Mass Effect? It includes all the DLC, do I need to be disabling a bunch of that like I would playing the newer Fallout games?

No, it makes no difference, since Inquisition doesn't import saves. You won't know some of the back story but everything vital is explained. And all the dlc should be installed, they just give you options not present in the base game.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I like playing sneaky thief types in RPGs.

Sneaking is easy but for thieving you might want to consider mods. Improving the thieves guild involves doing dozens of random fetch quests and a mod to reduce the drudgery really helps.

Pickpocket is also rather disappointing in vanilla Skyrim - people don't have that much worth taking and by the time you're good enough to get it you're rolling in cash anyway.
A perks mod might help here but I have forgotten the name of the one I liked.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Hm. I tried Enderal and came to a crashing halt when I met a group of new NPCs and what seemed like uncannily familiar plot development from Mass Effect. Is there much more to it if the main quest leaves me cold? Good sidequests?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Is it possible to miss anything permanently in Mass Effect Andromeda? Also, am I right in thinking this pretty much ignores the first 3 games?

To enjoy Andromeda it's better 1) to put the first 3 games entirely out of your mind and 2) to resist any impulse to help strangers who give you quests. You'll inevitably do some sidequests as you do the main ones but absolutely none of them are worth the bother of going out of your way, and they will burn you out. I've found if you keep pushing on with the main and companions quests, Andromeda can be modestly enjoyable.

It is possible to miss a fun quest though if you don't keep talking to your companions and exhausting their conversational possibilities. (Most of them will have something new to say after every main mission.) If you want to check what's needed then look up a guide to the movie night quest.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

Waiting until you have every shard to go to the temple in the Forbidden Oasis is dumb. That temple has progressive rewards the more shards you bring there, and it's definitely worth going there ASAP to see what the deal is.

I have reservations on this point. First, I think you need a certain number of shards to get anything, but I could be misremembering as it's a long time since I went there. And that is because second, Forbidden Oasis is hard to get around, disappointingly deserty when you've been to the Western Approach, and has disappointing rewards. It's not worth going there at all.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Glagha posted:

Having done a playthrough recently, I'm gonna reiterate definitely keep up on your combat skills because toward the late half of the game you'll be fighting constantly.

Ah, thanks, I'll stop feeling bad about not playing it.

If people are ever wondering what to write about a game for the wiki, I think a hint about how much of the gameplay consists of unavoidable combat is really helpful.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Someone asked about Greedfall. There isn't much to say, it's a very self-explanatory game, but there are a couple of things I wish I'd known:

1) There is a bug that can stop you realizing there are quests to do from the Bridge Alliance. Make sure you go and talk to their governor after certain political ructions ( you'll know them when you see them).

2) There are very few choices in the game that make a real difference to the course of it (as opposed to the ending blurb), but if you want to maximize the number of sidequests you can do, make sure you do your companions' quests promptly.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Anything for Kenshi?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Kalenden posted:

So: any advice for a returning player? Any clues for a Mass Effect 2 save? Any must-have mods?

Before you start, make sure you have installed the director's cut.

ME3's default history is ideal for someone who doesn't want to cure the genophage, which is fairly unlikely to be true with player saves.

Without an ME2 save you won't get enough war assets for one of the possible endings. This is a smaller loss than it sounds.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't think this is true anymore--I feel like the DLC added enough new warscore options that you'll still be fine even without touching multiplayer but admittedly it's been quite a long time since I've done the math on this.

I also could be wrong, but I think the director's cut only enabled you to get enough war score without multiplayer from an ME2 save which ensured that various companions would still be alive. In ME3's default start several of them are dead, so you can't recruit them*, or get for example both the quarian fleet and the geth on your side.

*This is also a smaller loss than it sounds, OP

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 27, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

If you're worried about not having an ME2 save, you can get the DLC that lets you generate one, but the saves site is an option, too.

If you go for saves I would recommend one with every companion alive and Tali not exiled, and if possible Conrad alive and all of Matriarch Dilinagas writings discovered.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

If you've done any of the ME3 DLC it's almost impossible now to enter the final mission with low war assets, even if you never play a single game of MP.

Ah, that sounds likely, I didn't have any.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for The Council?

I love that game. You can really pick whatever you like, but politics is maybe less useful than most, and linguistics is more useful for flavour than for beating the game. Subterfuge is strong.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Anything for Ark: survival evolved, which is free on Epic this week?

I have already discovered (by dying) that the game is not paused while you look at your inventory.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

Grredfall is on sale on Steam and I was wondering if there's any advice.

There will be some political shenanigans maybe half way though the game - until then, do your companion's quests promptly.

After then, make sure you visit the Bridge alliance to get their quests. The game doesn't tell you they're available at that point and you'll miss out if you don't check.

Those are the only traps I can remember - otherwise just play as you like.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

should you only recruit people with particularly special abilities? I couldn't really tell if I was meant to just recruit occasional people who could be lieutenants or if I was meant to recruit general crew as well?

I like ramming so I prioritize lieutenants that help with that, but note that you will get good lieutenants just by doing quests so do not agonize about it. You can dismiss less useful lieutenants if you have too many.

You also get access to new crews by doing quests as well.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Kalenden posted:

Any advice for THEA 2: THE SHATTERING? Saw none on the wiki.

The first thing you should do is click on the magnifying glass for your group and make sure you only use ordinary wood for fuel. Click on any other wood you have so it's prohibited, and uncheck 'Use new fuel items'.

On the same page, it's also better not to use raw food, until you have masses of it. Get cooking asap and use your first research point to get more recipes, so food is less of an issue. I forget its name, but the 'traditional' recipe choice is usually a safe bet to start.

You have a magic stone with which you can either make a swanky ring or build a settlement. I prefer to build a village asap because it helps improve your squad, research, etc. Ideally it should be in a place with lots of resources. Not ordinary bone, amber, iron, or plain leather, though, they're trash.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 9, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Taerkar posted:

To add to this the settlement gets bonuses to various activities as you build structures there

And for this reason your best crafters will probably stay in the settlement almost all the time, so I never choose to make my Chosen a crafter.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

Anything for Greedfall?

There will be some political shenanigans maybe half way though the game - until then, do your companion's quests promptly, or you'll miss your chance.

After then, make sure you visit the Bridge alliance to get their quests. The game doesn't tell you they're available at that point and you'll miss out if you don't check.

Those are the only traps I can remember - otherwise just play as you like.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Anything for Greedfall?

There's a bug that stops you getting a prompt to get more Bridge alliance quests after a certain event. If you haven't had any for a while, go to Hikmet and chat to their leader.