Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone have any tips on Dawn of War II or its expansions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

scamtank posted:

- Counter charging melee goons with a tactical distraction or a spot of suppression and sweep them away with heavy bolters.
- Disrupt strong ranged squads with a dashing commander to the face or a assault marine squad to the head and sweep them away with heavy bolters.
- Clear houses with flamethrowers (they own a lot in this game) or grenades. The special sniper rifle rounds are amazing for countering enemy sharpshooters.
- Barbed stranglers are pretty much man-portable artillery. Stop them at all costs.
- The Dreadnought is less useful than you'd think.
- Use power weapons and plasma against vehicles. Switching out your commander's sword or the devastator heavy bolters for a rocket launcher isn't that good a trade.

Thanks a lot!

Are any builds particularly powerful? I've been basically dividing the points between health and either ranged or melee combat depending on the unit, but I suspect I may be cheating myself.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I've been having trouble micromanaging units on the fly. This'll help. Thanks guys!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Anything I should know before playing Nethergate: Resurrection?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Any useful tips for Wargame: European Escalation? I'm sort of having a tough time adjusting to this brand of strategy.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

MrBims posted:

Yes, play Airland Battle instead. It is better in every way and honestly WEE shouldn't even be sold any more. Ask steam for a refund and put it towards AB.

Elendil004 posted:

There's also a huge thread full of strategy, most of which applies to WEE and ALB

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568981

I got both in a bundle pack already, but I read that WEE's campaign eased you a little more into things which I figured I'd need.

Thanks for the help guys
:yayclod:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I'm replaying Warcraft 3, and I seem to suck a lot more at this game now than I did in 2002.

Any tips to make the single player campaign a little more enjoyable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Kruller posted:

Stomp around killing creeps to level your hero to that mission's cap as early as you can. Having any new powers earlier in the mission will always be better. Some of the missions expect you to be much better at Warcraft than I am, so don't be afraid to cheat a little if they're kicking your rear end and you just want the story.

Zaphod42 posted:

Building on that, your hero levels carry over from campaign mission to mission, so spending time to complete optional objectives which ends up leveling your hero up can be a good idea, it'll make the harder later levels a bit easier.

Honestly I'd say put it on medium and just stomp your way through rather than try to struggle through hard. The first few missions are easy but oh boy does it get hard by the end.

Make sure you use all your hero abilities and unit abilities when you can, war3 tried to add a bit more micro. Hero healing items and things can be crucial.

And don't forget to play the batman Rexar campaign :3:

Thanks a lot, guys! And yeah, it's mostly the micro required that's giving me trouble. I suck at juggling unit abilities, control groups and hotkeys and prefer to take my time turtling. Guess I just have to keep at it and get out of my comfort zone :)