Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Hank Morgan posted:

Any tips for King's Bounty:Armour Princess (playing it as part of the Crossworlds pack). I'm never very good at turn based SRPGs so it's really combat advice I'm looking for. Basically what rocks are good against which paper until I can get on my feet.

I've played Crossworlds on Hard, so I'll try to help you out.

First thing you have to know is that the difficulty curve sucks. It is too hard in the beginning and too easy at the end. Especially as a mage, since leadership at the start is important and you'll have almost nothing.

But for some actual combat advice:

Try to get the medals with leadership awards, asap. The leadership boost they provide will help immensely. This means avoid casualties.

Good units are generally ones that do one or more of these 3 things: revive, summon or tank.
Rune Mages, Demonologists, Royal Griffins, Royal Thorns, Paladins, Inquisitors and Engineers are good examples.
Other good units are Royal Snakes (no retaliation + poison), Beholders (paralyze) and Dragons.

Point in combat is to either divert damage to your summons or to your tanks and revive when necessary. This is possible in almost all fights, excepting bosses and heroes.
In my game, after the first turn I had doubled my army with summons which did the tanking for me.

Good low level spells are Trap and Stone Skin, they can slow the enemy down and help your tanks.

Don't forget your dragon! Always try to use his chest digging skill as much as possible because sometimes you can get runes.

Buy all potions (rage or mana) when you see them. They are cheap, and always useful.

Try to build a synergy between your army and your items, though this is mostly luck. Royal Snakes have a couple of powerful items that can extend their usefulness through to the end game.
Engineers and their droids also have items, which can make them extremely imbalanced.

Any items that grant resistance to physical or magic damage are worth a lot.

If an area is too hard, backtrack to other areas and try to raise your level there first.

When you get any quest item, always look if you can interact with it. This gives a couple of nice bonuses.

That's all I can think of for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Less of a What Should I Know and more of a What Am I Supposed To Know:

I'm playing Force Unleashed for the first time. Is dying constantly a normal thing on normal difficulty? Is there any way to tell the game that I want to always be facing Enemy X? Is there a way to consistently throw an object at an enemy, outside of random luck if it will go a direction or not?

Time to try again against an AT-ST and two turrets, and no regenerating health...

It has been a while since I played TFU but it isn't normal to die all the time. I was (and am) bad at games like that and I didn't have too much difficulty, except against some bosses.
This is without every doing much combo's.

Anyway advice:

- Keep moving, never stand still. All skills that help this are good.
- Force lightning stuns enemies (also AT-ST's if I remember correctly) so use that often
- I personally never bothered with throwing stuff or doing anything complicated
- Don't neglect lightsaber damage skills

For more advice try this website:
http://www.ign.com/wikis/star-wars-...hed/Game_Basics

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Opera Bitch posted:

I'm just getting back into gaming now that I have a full time job, and can justify spending some time each week relaxing by playing video games. I guess I am looking for general recommendations based on my tastes... if it is ok to ask for them in this thread. I only ever play one at a time from start to completion, so I hate getting a game only to find it isn't my thing. So far some of the games I have enjoyed the most as the Dragon Age games, Bayonetta, Bioshock games, LA Noire, Alan Wake, The Walking Dead, RE series. I don't really deviate from action adventure, RPGs, and horror games. I'm not a melee or FPS player.

I'm considering Mass Effect right now, but wonder if it is worth investing time in all three games based on all the freaking out I heard over the last one, plus I don't know how in tune it is with my style of gaming. I tried Dead Space, and being my first time playing a game like that I found it difficult even on the easiest setting and stopped after a few hours and sold the game. I wonder if I might like it more now that I have broadened the types I play. Any other games I might like?

Mass Effect is probably perfect for you. Like Dragon Age, but more streamlined and of course an FPS. But if you like Bioshock (a shooter) and Dragon Age(a Bioware RPG game), I can't imagine not liking the Mass Effect series. All the freaking out about it is because of the ending of Mass Effect 3, which wasn't that great. But the series is seriously worth it!

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

I'm about to dive in Heroes Of Might And Magic 3 playing Restoration of Erathia first and the expansion packs if I'm still interrested.

Any advice that isn't in the wiki? I've played King's Bounty and did the tutorial but except that this is my first experiece with HoMM.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

The biggest difference from King's Bounty is that time is a resource. The cpu's forces get bigger each week, as does every stack of independent units. Focus on taking out the enemy. Spend too much time exploring the map and the game becomes a lot more difficult.

Thanks, that is good advice since (partly due to King's Bounty and partly because I'm a turtler) I would wander around the map and avoid conflict a lot.
Any other advice for HOMM3 is welcome!

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

I've recently played XCOM: Enemy Unknown and I've already played UFO:Extraterrestials and Apocalypse, so I thought jumping in the UFO:After- series would be a good idea.

Anyway, what advice can you give for somebody jumping in to UFO:Aftermath?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks due all the tips here, I've played Aftermath till it gave me a choice, which I accepted. It ended there while I could've continued but it kinda lost most of its charm by then. Also the difficulty curve was getting completely bonkers (why yes, do start me in the middle of a bunch of enemies with AOE weapons!).

Anyway, fun while it lasted.

Any tips or suggestions for its sequel, Aftershock?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Any advice for HoMM 5 that isn't in the wiki?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

I've gotten Alpha Centauri and Alpha Centauri Crossfire recently. Any reason why I wouldn't want to play Crossfire immediately? Some kind of campaign or something?

Continuing in that theme, what is the recommended start for a new player? In terms of choice of map, scenario, faction, etc. Any must-know information is also appreciated.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for! Time to experience this classic for the first time.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Any advice for Kingdom Of Amalur? How good is the DLC?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything I should know or pay particular attention to that isn't mentioned (enough) in the wiki for Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Any advice for Eador - Masters of The Broken World ? Wiki came up empty.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

I'm looking for advice on Neverwinter Nights 2.

More specifically, I'm looking for some good solid rpg fun. Should I buy and play NN2 or only NN2: MotB or the other ones?
I've heard the regular one isn't that good. Is it at all worth to play?

Also, any advice additional to the one in the wiki is welcome!

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's worth playing the NWN2 OC before Mask, IMO, if only because Mask is an Epic Level campaign that assumes quite a bit of system mastery.

There's a thread with lots of advice and people that are happy to help.

Oh thanks! I feel pretty stupid now, I visit the forums frequently but never before seen that thread.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything useful for Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes ? I've been doing the first scenario and it is fairly accessible and easy going so far.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Any additional advice for Divinity 2: Director's Cut (or Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga) that is not mentioned in the wiki?
For example, which is the funnest class or ''play style'' and what is a recommended difficulty for somebody who is a completionist?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything for King's Bounty: Dark Side? Recommended class, hints&tips, etc...

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Sometime ago I asked about advice for King's Bounty: Dark Side? I got the beneath, helpful reply. Does anybody have additional advice on top, now I'm finally going to start playing?

- The beginning is frustrating (particularly for Warrior) with no resupplying, damage spells or rage abilities. It's still rough at spots, but gets easier later.
- Quicksave after every fight, the game crashes quite a bit and sometimes gets stuck on tactical screen on computer's turn
- Healing spells don't work, do not scribe them, instead you'll get Dark versions of them somewhat later. Save healing scrolls (Healing, Warded Healing, Life Light, Resurrection and one more I forgot) or at least make note of where they are sold, because you need three of them to make the dark version.
- Jealousy rage skill is pretty good, the converted troop attracts a lot of aggro
- There aren't a lot of dragons in the game, maybe 20 of each total -- try not to get yours killed. The third Orc rage ability helps protect them. Blood Priests have a sacrifice ability which lets you create more, or you may get lucky with Call of the Colossus overland spell
- You can mix races more freely without morale penalties than you did in previous games. Vampires and Elder Vampires in bat form were my go-to guys.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks for the King's Bounty: Dark Side advice! I've finally started and am enjoying the game (even though it is slightly less polished than I expected based on the other games).

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

I'm playing through Overlord (and planning on doing 2 and Raising Hell) Any advice not on the wiki?

In addition, I was wondering how hard I should look out for secrets/hidden stuff.

I'm a completionist (that often burns out...) so it would be a relief to know not a lot of stuff is hidden or secret. Or should I keep a guide/walkthrough close by, just in case?

Same question for the sequel/expansion.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything for Thea: The Awakening?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything for Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition?

Good guides, builds, advice or walkthroughs, specifically for EE?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The info on wiki still stands; off the top of my head the only important thing it doesn't tell you is that there's four companions of which you can pick two to round up your party, and they're all in the first town. The thief is a bit hard to find, you need to dig a tunnel in the graveyard to meet him - all the others you'll most likely meet just by questing.

GhostBoy posted:

- Summons are great meatshields, occasionally useful damage dealers and a handy way of getting to things you cannot reach directly.
- The spell "Rain" is very useful. Wide area and allows you to put out burning things. DOS likes burning things.

Thanks! Will keep in mind.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything for Endless Legend ? With all the expansions.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything for Endless Legend? With all expansions.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Millennial Sexlord posted:

The wiki has everything I would have said here.

Okay, thanks!

Also, any advice for (totally unrelated) Shadowrun: Hong Kong?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Any advice for a new player for Crusader Kings 2 with all dlc?

Good guides, starts, etc are welcome!

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

So thinking of playing Total War: Warhammer before the sequel comes out and is up to speed.

Any advice for a beginner? Anything a starter should do?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything for Spellforce 2: Anniversary Edition? The wiki is empty.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Anything for Expeditions: Vikings?

About to start for the first time. Thinking of putting the difficulty on medium as well (it defaults to hard?)

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Any advice for a smooth first playthrough for Prey (2017)? Beyond http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Prey_(2017)

Beyond having heard it is excellent, I have no experience with this game at all.
I enjoyed Deus Ex and like Sci-Fi. I also have a tendency to be completionist or a min-maxer (playing alongside guides and walkthroughs) but can cause myself to get burned out by that - especially now that I have less time. Is there a lot to miss in this game? Anything particularly OCD-triggering? Or should I try and just play through the game as it comes?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks for the advice

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

So after a couple of years break I am back to Crusader Kings 2 + DLCs, assuming it is finally done being expanded!

What are the latest guidelines/starting guide/new player advice for starting with CK2 + all DLCs? Is the wiki still up-to-date?

Tutorials, wiki's, walkthroughs, anything to get a new player going and advice to go along. Such as, things to do, interesting or good first characters, ambitions or goals I should put, and so on.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Something I should know about Frostpunk that is not on the Wiki yet?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Going to start Mass Effect 3 soon, for a second playthrough, first time I did not get far and I bought it at start without DLC

Lost my old Mass Effect 2 save though and now have the DLC

So: any advice for a returning player? Any clues for a Mass Effect 2 save? Any must-have mods?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Any more stuff beyond the wiki for Slay the Spire for a first time player?
Wiki: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Slay_the_Spire

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Going to start a playthrough of Total War: ROME II (latest edition, I think). No tips on the wiki. I'm not unfamiliar with the total war games, but all tips and beginners advice welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

What advice would you give somebody who played Total War games before (long before, Rome Total War and Medieval 2 Total War) but is now a first time player for Total War: Warhammer II?

What campaign should I start, which faction, first moves, ... any and all advice welcome for a beginner with only a little bit of experience. DLC included (was gifted)

Kalenden fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 13, 2020