Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zushio posted:

Anything for Resident Evil 7? Checked the wiki and no mention. Seems like a game where blind overall is best maybe?

Just as general notes

- There are usually environmental factors in boss rooms that can save you a lot of ammo. Look around and try and find them. Don't try to kill family members early, they have very clearly defined "boss rooms" which is the only place they can take real damage.

- Monsters can't follow you through doors. They also lose interest in you if you go into a safe room, which is a lifesaver when being chased.

- You can get an extra coin by acing the short prequel game, but it really isn't worth it unless you are going for a 100% run.

- Don't worry about cleaning house your first time through an area. After you beat the boss pop a couple of the pills that point out items and just grab them all at once.

- If you are being chased by a family member don't bother shooting them. You can evade pretty easily.

- You can greatly reduce incoming damage by blocking. Somehow your bare arms take sledgehammer blows with ease.

- You can fix severed limbs with a health potion. I never had to do it, but it can happen.

- Even if you are a masochist and love hard games, play on normal first. Hard mode isn't just increased difficulty, the locations of key items change around, and it is a bit confusing if you didn't play normal first.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got Dying Light plus extras for 20 dollarydoos. If you're reading this, too late the sale's over. All I know is that it's a Ubisoft-style game with a bummer ending. Anything important?

The game is Mirror's Edge with zombies. Cutting your way through zeds is a massive waste of resources. Run around them as much as you can, only fight when you have to or it is to your economical advantage.

Also firecrackers are incredibly cheap and super effective for clearing out spaces to work in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any tips for starting out in They Are Billions?

It is touched on somewhat, but zeds are attracted to sound, and the two largest sound producers are gunshots and building. This means that while archers are mathematically weaker than soldiers they are able to thin out hordes without aggroing the whole thing. Soldiers should be used entirely as last ditch defensive effort until you can solidly defend points without them, as in the open they can get quickly overwhelmed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I hate suggesting this, but honestly you'd be better off skipping it and moving straight to 2. Witcher 1 is an exercise in frustration; read a story summary and move on to the much better sequel (and the MUCH better trilogy cap).

That said, if you truly want to play W1 it should still function, I know some mad bastards who played it recently and had it run fine. I think it might be less of a mod thing and maybe something with your computer

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To copy over from the horror thread for Cultist Sim 2018

- There is a chain of alteration to change your lore into the right lore, write it down. NEVER transform your last lore of a type or you will break this chain.
- Health is the most important stat in the game, hardest to get and the easiest to lose.
- Grab a card to see where it can be put. Click on an empty card space in a window to highlight what cards can go in that slot.
- Use cards in any slot that they fit in. Also try cards in different orders, because sometimes both can fit in a slot but one has to follow the other (for example, play the translate card before the book to translate)
- The type of lore a character has defines their abilities.
- Cults can only use one type of lore, depending on what you start it with.
- A candle below a card window means the card will be consumed.
- Go slow. It's a marathon, not a race. Most negative stats fade over time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Any tips for Sheltered?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I don't see it on the wiki, anything for Dead Cells from the EA players?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Tell me about This War of Mine. I'm thinking about buying it, but I have no experience with survival games beyond Rimworld. Would you recommend it? What do I need to know before my first game if I decide to buy it?

The game is interesting but I wouldn't go into it expecting a good time. You can survive off of just what you can scavenge from bandits and ruins, but the game dangles what you really need right in front of you... if you are willing to do what you have to do in order to take it.

It is definitely a commentary piece about what people are forced to do to survive in a world that is not their own making.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

Anything for Frostpunk?

- Outbuildings line hunter lodges do not require heat, same as any other building that people don't spend a lot of time in, so put them on the outside.
- Never take the missions requiring you to continuously heat homes. Inevitably your heat will blip for half a second and it will be a huge hit to morale.
- Send scouts out as much as you can. Basically have them running continuously.
- Inevitably you will have to choose between doing something bad and making the game much harder, that is the whole point of the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Graveyard Keeper? Specifically about blue gems and how to get them. Also, how will chests work in the basement? Do the crafting stations pull materials from all of them?

Edit: also also, is improving your corpse quality by literally ripping sin out of corpses just dumb luck or can I guess which body part is the wrong one somehow?

- Blue xp mostly comes from researching body parts and such on the church basement's study desk. If you need science just make a bunch of paper out of corpse skin and pump those into the desk. Later the best source is to make piles of medium tier stone grave markers.

- Chests will provide items for the crafting areas that they are located in, example is that any chest in the working area outside the house will give to the furnaces and saws, but not to the nearby garden. The storage area below the house can be filled up with chests if you really want to but they don't provide to the rest of everything. Mostly it's just used for wine making casks.

- Bodies are a bit complex and checking the wiki is advised (same with alchemy, do NOT try to guess the patterns yourself) but as a rule of thumb you want to pull out the blood and fat of every body you get. Other parts either increase red skulls or randomly will give big adds or big removals depending on the part. One note is that the brains and intestines don't stack so just grind them up as you take them out.

Basically you want to look at each corpse and see how many skulls it has total. Take out the fat and blood of the ones that are decent (at least three white skulls and minimal reds) and just harvest the ones that are crap. You don't want to bury every body because if they only have one or two white skulls (or God forbid none) they will barely add anything to your graveyard and will eventually just need to he exhumed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I never played Theme Hospital and I still think Two Point is pretty fun. The one caveat is that it starts off really slow, you have to go through several hospitals before you reach any actual challenge so the start is a bit of a slog.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Metal Gear Survive? The wiki is pretty sparse.

- Ammo is very sparse and you should try to avoid using it at all costs unless you are doing a base defense mission or you picked it up inside a MP match.

- Any materials brought into MP games are consumed on use, in that you don't make "copies", you have to make new ones between matches. Additionally materials found in MP matches go into a global pool, not a personal inventory.

- Spears can stab through fences, but more direct weapons generally work better and are more fun. Backstabbing zeds is very easy because they move slowly, especially the very tank-y ones with the giant heads.

- Farms are very good and useful

- Locations repopulate their pickups after a set period of time, you can do rounds through the teleporters to get loads of materials.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Is there anything for the new Spider-Man game beyond "do the first part of the story and it'll give you some time to go do spider-man stuff"? Do you eventually get enough skill points to unlock everything in all 3 trees or should I be rushing down a tree that has something I want at the bottom to the exclusion of others?

Fun so far, but man is my Batman muscle memory getting my rear end kicked in the little bit I played last night. I can see the fun there, but it's going to take awhile to get this system to gel in my brain. I lost on the second "stop a crime" little event where you stop 7 or so guys from wailing on some homeless woman who snitched on their criminal activities, because the big guys you have to web a billion times or throw a trash can at wreck my poo poo. Having a dodge instead of a counter (and that dodge needing to be done much earlier than you'd think) takes some getting used to.

Swinging around town is fun though. Awww yeah.

Re webs, you can do a lot more with the basic shooter than you might think. They stick to any surface, which includes the ground. Therefore if you web them up and then aerial slam them into the ground it still stick, but also if you knock them on their rear end with either a uppercut or ending a combo and shoot at them when they are on the ground it will automatically web them in place.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have advice for starting out in Rise to Ruin? It seems like it could be fun, but even with the many tool tips, I'm feeling a little lost in my first game, even just on basic stuff like how to direct workers to tasks.

- Workers put into a resource collection job will do that job at a faster rate than pure builders, but that also means that if you aren't desparate for the bonus you can delay making the resource collecting places for a few days and focusing on just builders.
- Everything except fences needs building slots to make them, fence gates included. You get more by upgrading the town center or by building auxiliaries. Don't pop out tons of the same building for that reason.
- Personal preference but stone is harder to come across than wood so rely on bow towers and wood golems for defense. They are cheap and renewable.
- Occasionally you will find glowing rings on the ground, click them repeatedly and they will drop either a chest or a key. Combine the two and you will get a pile of goodies. You can move the key but the box will only teleport if you click it again.
- The grabbing God power is very good at the start. You can use it to pull useable resources out of the trees without a pawn, drop already mined resources onto buildings to add them to the building's inventory, and throw monsters into ancient cullis gates to kill them instantly. Latter is good for surviving the first few nights before you get proper defenses up.
- Other good God powers for early game
* Summon Holy Golem: Instant point defense
* Lumination (sp?): Cheaply lights up large area of the map, helps cut down on number of campfires you need to put up (since those take up building slots)
* Rejuvination (sp?): Good essence dump, advances the grow cycle of trees and plants.
- Small radiance pools can be found around the map, already put together. these are magic batteries that can recharge your Essence when you hover over them.
- The overlays has a "blocking map" that shows all the impassible areas around the camp. This is awesome for seeing when a tree in the middle of a narrow path will properly block monsters or not.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 25, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks for all the Rise to Ruins advice. Much appreciated.

One very specific question. In my game, early on, there was some kind of magic chest bouncing around near my camp. It seemed I could pick it up with the god hand thing, but not open it. What do I do with such a chest?

That's probably the magic circle chest I mentioned above. You have to find a key (probably dropped by a magic circle in the grass) and then grab-drop it onto the chest to open it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Seems pretty straightforward, but anything for The Mummy Demastered?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Anything for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey?

It's almost identical to Origins in most ways but a few differences

- Skills are now mostly active, requiring you to spend a level of "adrenaline" to do them. A few are passive, others are still active but trade off requiring adrenaline for a long cooldown (like poisoned blades)

- Sync points increase your bird's perception levels.

- Don't waste your money on engraving most things.

- Spartan Kick is great for knocking enemies off rooftops for huge damage. The shield breaker one is very useful as well, since a huge number of enemies use shields.

- AFAIK the only way to heal during combat is by using the active healing ability.

- Crafting materials are used only for upgrading weapons/boat, no ammo pouches or whatever.

- A surprising number of things can catch fire.

E. -The "parry" actually has a really long window, it is more of a soft block that parries whatever hits you at that time, and knocks back everyone around you. Abuse it

- Ramming a broken down ship dead middle at speed will split the ship in two and give you way more resources than boarding, for some reason.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 10, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

^^^ It's hard to say if ramming with normal travel speed counts for splitting, but by the fact that it does play the splitting animation I would assume that it does give you bonus. Plus I think it auto-collects like when you "properly" ram rather than you having to grab it out of the water.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh, also

- Don't take the armor sets off the Ubsioft Club page. They aren't skins, they are level 5 crap that you can't sell or dismantle as far as I know, so they will sit in your inventory forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One more thing for DFTM, you lose your progress for the day if you quit, so make sure you finish out the day before you leave. I believe that the switch over is at noon, not midnight, so don't turn it off until you get the day change card.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nohman posted:

Anything I should know going into the new Spider-Man?

- Go through the story until you unlock all of the minigames and side stuff, then wander as much as you want. At the very least you want to unlock the towers so you can fast travel.

- Web enemies that are on the ground or those that you can kick into objects to stick them there.

- The gadgets are useful but the game isn't hard enough that they are mandatory, so pick whatever suit and upgrade paths you want.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Since it seems a pretty consistant thing in the Smash Bros thread, I'll put it here.

In the single player, LEVEL UP YOUR SPIRITS! Power levels make a big difference, if you're having trouble in a fight, chances are you need to come back with a spirit that counters the stages gimmick, or you need to get more powerful because numbers matter alot!

Adding on to this, there is a shop in the extras menu that you can use to spend your coins, one thing it stocks is the small snacks for a pittance.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Not playing the first time but trying to complete it after not playing for a while, is I am going for all the trophies in Witcher 3 then what approximate percentage of the random world quests do I need to complete? All the random question marks, I mean.

Also, are there any mutually exclusive trophies in one run?

I didnt make it all the way through my first time so I dont want to spoil it by looking up the secret trophies

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

There's multiple endings and cheevos tied to them in both vanilla and DLC so more runs or some savegame trickery will be required.
And for the love of God don't do all the question marks, you'd go insane in Skellige. It is worth it to get them all in the first tutorial area, though.

That is what I mean, there aren't any trophies tied to them, right? Because while some are good, hot drat are there a lot, and you out level them quickly.

Thanks for the multiple run tip though, that was one big issue.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wrr posted:

Edit: Anyone got anything for Phantom Doctrine for me?

Off the top of my head, knockouts can be performed in combat and the health requirement is for *current* health, not max. That means that if you want to kidnap an enemy agent but his health exceeds yours then you can tap him once and then knock him out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BBQ Dave posted:

Any suggestions for new Call of Cthulhu game? Got a little ways in, I upgraded my spot hidden skill first cuz that seemed smart but I’m missing all the skill checks.

It seems to me the the Psychology skill gets the most use, and Strength gets the least.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Project Wonderful closed up shop back in August.

This makes me a bit sad, used to use that to grab up free ad space for my lovely blog back in the day. Such is the march of time I guess

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Not sure if it's fitting the theme the wiki, but Resident Evil 4 does not have subtitles for spoken english dialogue so people who need/want them on will have trouble.

Mierenneuker posted:

That’s the bad ending and you can also go for the worse ending. Reunited with your sheriff unit you can go and confront the cult leader... and then decide to walk away from it all. As you drive away the sheriff shows his support for your decision as the other deputies argue WTF just happened. The radio starts playing “Only You” by The Platters. That is the song one of the cult members used to brainwash you, that is your trigger to kill people. You start looking at the other people in the car as they ask you if you are feeling alright. Fade to black.

Note that the nukes still were going to drop anyway and that the sheriff unit probably all died in that other ending as well.
Thus the crux of Far Cry 5’s endings: is it really a worse ending or are they equally bad?

They half assed the theming and screwed it all up. If they had just gone for the "ideal America vs bad america" angle that was the clear intention then it would have been pretty good. But they had no balls and decided on a weird centrism that says that we should just leave the murderous cult alone. So dumb.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Riatsala posted:

I just picked up Elder Scrolls Online, having played Skyrim and Oblivion in the Elder Scrolls series and WoW as far as MMOs, is there anything I should know or expect?

Probably goes without saying but to underscore, ESO is not like the other Elder Scrolls games. Any possible game breaking mechanics have been sandblasted off so if you are going in for wacky stealth archer/thief antics then you will be in for a bad time. Bear that in mind when you are picking your classes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

At last, I can drop my LP dreams and become a Before I Play Dot Com superstar

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

1redflag posted:

Just got around to playing XCOM2 (2015) and I’m very bad at this game (and turn based games in general) (I average a soldier dying and one or two grave soundings each mission, on easy, so I feel like I’m doing horrible). The tips on the site are designed more for someone who is already pretty good at the game. Does anyone know a good resource I could read to overall do better at this game from a beginners standpoint?

Not sure about a guide, but here are a few tips

* Always put your soldiers into cover, the higher the better. It's better to have a worse shot in better cover than vice versa

* Stealth is nice and all but can result in you having your soldiers wildly out of position. Make sure you are the one to start the firefight. When you do so put everyone but one into overwatch so that they all get a free no-cover shot.

* Assault melee is almost never worth it compared to shotgunning them in the face.

* Use your items, they refresh after missions. Blowing up cover is always good.

* Never never never use the last person in line to push forward into the fog of war, lest you trigger an enemy pod that then gets a fresh turn. Instead do a springboard pattern, where the first people push forward and the rest fall in after to support.

* Personal opinion, get the mod that disables timers when you are still concealed. There are lots of missions where containers and such are rigged to explode even before they know you are there, which makes *zero* sense.

* Rush real armor (not the armor accessory) and then laser weapons as quickly as is feasible. Your base soldiers are incredibly weak by design at the start, and allowing them to take a hit or two more is a huge help. You also only get infirmary downtime for soldiers when your actual health is damaged, so armor can keep your soldiers fighting instead of lying in bed for three months

* There is some shame in savescumming, but do it anyways if you get totally screwed in a mission. Going without when you are still new is just flagellation

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 1, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Big one for Kingdom Hearts 3

- Switching key blades while yours is transformed will pause the timer and let you pull it back out, fully transformed, at will.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Odd posted:

I think we should keep the wiki PG-13

Gawrsh, give me that second form, daddy. Hyuck!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Alris posted:

I am terrible at Battle Royale games in general and Apex Legends in particular. Tell me what I need to know to earn my chicken dinner equivalent in that game.

In addition to what was said before

- you actually have two down states, one where you can be revived and one where you get 90 seconds for someone to pick your flag off your corpse, which can then be brought to a respawn point to revive you (without any items). Keep that in mind when you are running into dangerous areas without support.

- Supply ships (floating loot barges) are cool and all but tend to have a lot of high level attachments and ammo but few guns. They are rarely good for a first drop location

- The red balloons that you see tethered around are travel points that will throw you in the air and put you back into freefall mode

- follow your jump leader most of the way, but break off near the end to head to a different building.

- Risky shots are rarely worth it, in a general BR sense. (E)Shooting someone from across the map is cool, but it also gives away your position and very rarely actually downs them. In general IRL humans need two instances of a sound before they can properly judge the direction it is coming from, especially if they are off their guard, so if you must take a risky shot then pop and move.

- Accept that you are going to lose constantly and just have fun with it. It's a hard game.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 12, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Zaodai posted:

To clarify this in particular, he means tagging them with a gunshot. Using the ping function on an enemy to "tag" their location for your squad will not give your position away (though if you're playing Bloodhound, your Q scan with the bright orange wave that reveals enemies in a short distance, the burst of orange energy IS visible to other players and may very well give your position away).

Correct, bad terminology on my part. Its that it isnt worth revealing yourself for a small chance at moderate damage that can be immediately healed with the piles of healing supplies that are everywhere. Edited my original post

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Some points for people starting Anthem this Friday

- You can cool your jets by flying through a waterfall, but the spray at the lip also counts for the instant cool

- Skim over rivers to stretch your flight time.

- The tanky Collossus is one of the more fun and more difficult Javs to use because it doesn't have an over shield. Therefore I recommend taking an interceptor or ranger as your first pick since they are very straightforward and the second pick comes quickly.

- Blue ammo pickups refill your ammo and instantly reload your gun.

- Click on the far right side of a material in the appearance menu to select colors.

- the Tomb Trials are currently kept under the "challenges" tab, not the journal. Also, don't glance at the Trials and give up, even though they seem like a lot. Running a few quests should fill those bars quickly because they are focused on key gameplay features. Only the open world stuff is a bit of a hassle.

- Components come in "Universal" and Jav-specific versions. The specialized versions are almost always better.

- Abilities recharge very quickly so use them freely.

- Your crafting blueprints improve in rarity as you use the item they represent.

- You are probably fine doing Hard quests with whatever gear you picked up along the way, but Hard Strongholds are their own class and require better gear.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Bendy and the Ink Machine. Is it as good as the reviews make it sound?

It's very bad. They did a good job of building suspense in terms of the plot but the gameplay is absolute garbage and the ending is faux-highbrow poo poo. Most of the levels are fetch quests, including one particularly egregious one that is just a series of "find X items on certain elevator floor" fetch quests you go back to hand in over and over. Additionally, the enemies are dumb as rocks and will instantly lose aggro if you step into a hiding closet, even if they are two feet behind you and in clear view. It's almost comical, because the instant the animation stops playing the enemies go back to their wandering animation like they forgot what they came over for. Although it is for the best, since it would be unplayable otherwise seeing that almost the entire game is a linear corridor.

For me the entire game was an absolute slog that I put up with because I was invested in the idea and wanted to see the ending, except the ending sucked. If you are that invested then watch a YouTube video about it, because if you play it then you will be bitterly disappointed. They had a good idea and utterly fumbled it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 4, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

It may be too early to say, but is division 2 more solo-friendly than 1? Between the bullet spongey enemies and other design choices, I found playing solo to be frustrating at times, I’m wondering if 2 is similar or no.

Yes...ish. Bullet sponges enemies is still a bit of an issue but they have thematically altered it so that the sponges are wearing destructable armor now rather than incredibly durable tshirts, so it's at least more justified.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mayor McCheese posted:

I would say you should always select Resurrect instead of Death, but I have no clue if it bites you in the rear end later. this game is hard and i'm a coward

As far as I can tell the penalty for dying a lot happens whether you use a resurrection charge or not, so you may as well use it and shoot for no '"real" deathsl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

Rise of Industry?

Only thing I would say is to pace yourself. You can generally pull a profit pretty easily, but if you get overzealous and start buying stuff your logistical system can't handle then you are on the road to bankruptcy. There is some competition but no real fail state so take it slow and build up slowly.

Also, selling in town is generally more profitable than selling out of state. That said, out of state will buy anything. So it's a balance.