Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Sim City 4? The burden of building my very first city weighs heavily on me.

This all depends on what you want to do with it, but I'm going to assume an unmodded game with rush hour:

Most people will tell you to take it slow and start with simple industries. I usually take a different, easier route, based on rushing towards high tech: build a basic commercial district and residential area (for your residential zone, make sure they are not simply a grid but connect to an artery that leads to industry, past commercial zones, in such a way that traffic does not go through the residential area itself). Then build your industry, and raise taxes for dirty and manufacturing industry to the maximum so they don't build.

For utilities, just build a single pump station with pipes, and a landfill on the other end of the map next to a coal plant.

Make sure you have enough residential zones. Plop all types of educational buildings in your residential zone, plop a cop station, a fire station and a clinic. Once your city has enough people in it, build the hospital since it unlocks a mission you can play for cash. Query all of these buildings and fine tune their budgets so they cover only the area and amount of patients/pupils that attend them. You will probably still be losing money, so while you wait for your citizens to get educated, do a couple of missions for money. The one from the hospital with the helicopter is the easiest one, doing it twice should be enough to tide you over. Never loan money.

Now your high tech will eventually start to appear in your industrial zone, and your commercial zone will develop a bit further. This usually puts me into a positive budget. Just let your budget climb for a while. Having educated citizens makes the game considerably easier, since they generate much more income compared to the care they require from you. Counter-intuitively, low wealth cities are harder to keep a good budget on, which is why most people find this game so hard: they start from the bottom up.

Remember that building more cities increases the overall economy, so when a city is on the verge of bankruptcy, simply save it and build/connect an adjacent town. Then when you go back, more stuff should develop which will increase tax income.

So, in summary:
- Manage public services' budgets carefully, put them as low as you can manage for each individual building, the need for this will decrease as your city grows.
- Build large zones, don't just connect them like a grid but build an arterial system, with neighborhoods feeding onto a large highway or avenue. Commercial zones benefit from traffic passing through, it seems, so put them next to the artery.
- Educate your sims as soon as possible
- Start building other cities as soon as you get into trouble (always connect at least one road to the edge of the map while you're still in the black)
- Throw in some bus stops for good measure

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I just picked up the COmmand and Conquer Ultimate Collection from Amazon. It contains:

• Command & Conquer
  • Command & Conquer The Covert Operations
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath
  • Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun
  • Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
  • Command & Conquer Renegade
  • Command & Conquer Generals
  • Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
  • Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
  • Command & Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
  • Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

I've never played any of the C&C games before. I've had friends recommend Red Alert 3 and C&C 4, but is it worth going back to the first one? Anything to keep in mind going into it, or any of the others?

Tiberian Sun is underrated, it's got a great mood and some fun units and challenging missions, even if the gameplay is a bit wonky, so give it a shot too. I always enjoyed base building in that game, placing concrete under everything to prevent Nod diggers from coming out of the ground with an engineer squad.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What about Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube? I bought this one long ago and I remember I couldn't get into it because it just confused the poo poo out of me. I loved the SNES game, and enjoyed the N64 game, but I think the controls and camera in AWL disoriented me. Is there a way to go about this game, especially a good start, so I can get into it?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Starting on Bully: Scholarship ed. on PC.

Mostly I want to know if it matters if I fail missions. I failed a mission and skipped a class which irks the minmaxer in me, will I miss out on powerful stuff if I screw up or can I just try things over and over like in GTA?

Is it wise to just beat up anyone who gets in my face, as I've been doing so far?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 5, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Started on Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns, settled in Konohana, playing as a dude.

Which is the most fun bride to go for, what crop is best, what should I be doing in the beginning?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

torjus posted:

The single most important advice: play it co-op if possible.
If the achievements are the same as on 360 there are no missables. Actually, RE5 is an absolute blast to 100% and has great replayability, which is good because you need to do multiple runs to pop all achievements. By the end you'll have guns with infinite ammo that willl one-shot bosses which gave you grief earlier. It's great!

Viva Piñata is surprisingly fun. No missables here either, but the game is a time sink; one achievement is for playing the game for 50 hours!

This Viva Pinata talk reminded me that I really want to play it again . I recall you need some kind of wonky live account to play it on pc though and you need to be online all the time (right?), is it feasible to play on a modern pc, preferably without needing outdated windows live bloatware?

Maybe I should just unbox my 360 again and play that version if I can find it cheap...

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 29, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Far Cry 2, please. I've played the game before and I remember liking it, but I don't remember any tactics. In particular, I'd like to know what missions to do first, which ones are the most fun, and some tips on finding diamonds.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Don't bother getting any of the stealth stuff since stealth is completely busted. No real tips for finding diamonds other than finding ones in the water is frustrating because you can't see poo poo.

Are there any big fan patches that fix problems, like with STALKER or Deus Ex?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

There is a wealth of information on the wiki: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Far_Cry_2

Some highlights from that page from personal experience:
- Do the Gun shop missions first to unlock a greater assortment of guns, and the cell tower missions in between to be able to afford the new weapons.
- Don't don't don't pick up enemy weapons...ever! They are crap, will jam a lot, and unless you want a quick rocket launcher for a single shot, just use your own shiny new ones.
- Anyway, remember to have fun. The game is best played in one, tops two hour sessions.
- If the enemy is in a vehicle, stay the heck in yours, or get behind a tree. They will simply drive into you any chance they get.
Seriously, nothing is worse than losing a chunk of progress because you became roadkill.

Something I'd add:
- Pay attention to which slot a weapon occupies before you purchase it. The game tells you this, but you may make assumptions based on the type of weapon. I remember buying the dart rifle thinking it would be an upgrade to the sniper rifle I was previously using, only to find out it fit in the special weapon slot. I also didn't pick up the grenade launcher for a while, because I didn't realize it was a secondary weapon (and when I did I never swapped it out for something else).

Perfect, thanks a lot!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Replaying Harvest Moon SNES just for nostalgia's sake; is there a reason to keep the small stones on the farm or can I just crush 'em?

Whack everything with the hammer on the first night. Since time stops at night and it never becomes morning, you can keep working indefinitely, as long as you replenish your stamina by dipping in the hot spring in the mountain (i think you have to jump in and out about 5 times to fill up your invisible stamina bar). This means you can:
- Clear the whole farm of debris, clear all trunks and big stones and stock your wood supply from trunks in the mountain to build your house.
- Dig plots for sowing
- Get the blonde girl at the bar at full hearts by just talking to her over and over. I forgot how this works exactly, I think you have to exit and re-enter the bar every time, or use presents from the mountain, but it's totally possible.
- Find a bunch of stamina fruit here and there.

But it's impossible to make money at night, since the shipper won't come. You can also remove all of the fence pieces from your farm if you want. That way you won't ever have broken fence pieces. You don't need a fence unless you think it looks nice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tried Bioshock about 4 times from the beginning, gave up every time because of its sheer badness and terrible nerd story.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Games for windows live can suck my loving dick. Nothing like buyer's regret after getting a cool game on steam and finding out that it has videogame cancer.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl? I already started the game and I'm at the Garbage (and I, in fact, am Garbage) and have to go to Agropom. I read the wiki but I just want to know what to expect, what kind of strategies to use in firefights, what kind of weapons I should try to use, what quests to focus on and so on.

I have some completed quests that I picked up in the beginning, should I run all the way back just to collect the reward for those, or should I ignore them and keep going?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What about Children of the Nile?

I already started playing a bit but I'm not far in yet. I get that nobles support peasants, who in turn support the other classes through the production of food. Anything else I should be careful about?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Erata posted:

I remember very little about the game, but I recall the sense that you should pay close attention to the traffic routes that develop as you design a city. That is going to determine how you're going to start optimizing placement of buildings to keep happiness up.

It is super different from Pharaoh, too. I have a recollection that AI wont go far out of its way to satisfy its own needs in Children of Nile.

It's been years since I touched the game though, so sorry to be vague!

Thanks anyway though. I got a little further in the game and it's an extremely strange simulator.

For example, to get educated workers, you need a school, manned by... an educated priest. Fortunately, your first educated worker just shows up out of nowhere if you build a house for him, so he can train your other workers into educated ones. However, if you first build an educated overseer's house before the priest house, you'll get a free overseer instead, but then you don't ever seen to get a priest to man your school, meaning you will never get any more educated workers, unless there's something I haven't found out yet.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gynovore posted:

Play the original Bioshock *only* if you're interested in the storyline and atmosphere. As far as shooters go, it's pretty mediocre.

I tried to play it 3 times and get discouraged because of how awful it is. It's so meaty and slow. Everything feels and looks like it's made of meat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

1redflag posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?!

It does dude. Play the game. Everything is all glossy and greasy and moves slowly, as though made of cumberous, heaving flesh..

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I remember I hated that in Skyrim there were no body hitzones so it didn't matter if you made a headshot with an arrow or if you just skewered their big toe or something. You could sneak and shoot someone in their left asscheek and still get more damage than if you straight up rammed an axe into their skull. Skyrim would be cool if it just had the combat system of Chivalry.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm finally playing a lot of classic SNES games I never got around to when I was young. Anything for Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore, or Zombies Ate My Neighbors!?

Also, advice on which to play first, because goddamn.

Play the Soulblazer games in order if you haven't already, Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma (that game has a silly name because they couldn't translate the Japanese title which means Genesis which actually tells you a lot about the plot). Those three are the superior SNES RPG experience.

Get all the gems in Illusion of Gaia because getting all 50 unlocks a really cool secret dungeon that you probably shouldn't miss. One of the first gems is the hardest to get, you have to enter and exit the cave at the beginning several times until a fisherman randomly spawns on the docks outside with a pot with a gem in it, all of the others are easy to get with a guide. You can't backtrack in the game, so use a guide for the gems, the official manual even listed them all. The game is easy. Get into the story because that's the main draw here, you have to get into the mid 90's new age sunken continent mindset of the people who made it to really enjoy it. Terranigma is best though. The point of playing Illusion of Gaia is really so you can play the sequel after that. Talk to NPC's in the game and don't rush through everything too fast.

Secret of Mana, level up your magic and try not to miss any weapon orbs, use a guide to make sure you get them all.

Secret of Evermore is a really cool game, again use a guide when you get to the market to trade for all of the good items there, don't just go in not knowing what to do or you might miss out on something or make bad deals which means you spend more time grinding for money. It's not a very easy game so you'll have to grind a bit anyway though.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for Everspace, please. I just bought it going in blind because it looked cool and was on sale. I might return it if my laptop can't run it but it looks like the kind of game i could really enjoy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Endless Space 1 is really really boring though...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shooting things in Stalker always felt so good because of the lack of cheap stunlock mechanics and the sheer messiness of the ballistics model. It forced you to rely on overkill and just emptying a whole clip into people just in case. Wasn't it also one of the games without hitscans and actual ricochets?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Looking at the context, I don't get the joke? I haven't played the game, but it seems to imply that Female characters innately get Cure (or a cure license, whatever that would mean). That some games give male and female characters different traits or abilities in itself doesn't seem that unusual.

I immediately picture a smirking Ferengi.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I'm not being a baby. The responses were sarcastic and insulting, which is fine because this is SA. But if you want to be smug cunts about it, and act like it gives you some kind of moral superiority, you're welcome to go back to D&D and have your political circle jerk there. If you're actually offended by someone using "females" to describe one of the genders of characters in a game, perhaps you're looking at the wrong place for the person being a baby.

Why are you blubbering about this when nobody even tried to insult you and just answered your question?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for Cuphead? The store looks like it's not self explanatory.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

We get the charge meter, we're attacking at 100%. Oddly enough, the Spiky Tiger got his poo poo wrecked (and I mean, fuckin' bad), and I think the Boy is only level 9. I played the game a lot when I was younger and revisiting now, I don't really remember a ton from it. It's one of those things where maybe I'm misremembering how the game actually works and I'm thinking about it too much. We've upgraded our gear to the best stuff we can, reforged weapons as we could; I'm probably remembering how magic makes things a breeze and there's just that odd spot in the beginning where you don't have access to any spells.

Grind up magic levels, just get into a combat situation, unload all your mp, rest at an inn, repeat until everything is at maximum. When you level everything up to 8:99 you get some really cool animations too so that's another motivator. You need these:
Girl: Undine (healing, cure), Luna (hp steal weapon magic, damage boosters), Lumina (for her only good attack spell)
Sprite: Undine (drain health), Luna (drain mana, very useful), Salamando (good all purpose attack magic), Shade (dispel magic, essential for one boss fight, gets rid of shield spells)

Go to the desert first, not the ice country.

There's a handful of missable orbs, I think one was in the palace of darkness.

There's also a few secrets you can find that aren't really essential but make the game very charming to me. Can you get the water back to the desert town? Secret of Mana is all about story and little details, the combat isn't great, explore once you get flammie.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 25, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

Anything for Children of the Nile ?

I haven't played in a while but I remember a few things:

- Your palace is the first thing you should build, as I recall. It feels really strange because it's a massive white building you build before anything else, this building can support (oversee) a certain number of farmers, so build about 6 farmhouses near the nile, and a bread shop as well as all of the basic (not luxury) shops.
- Noble mansions control more farmers after your initial palace building
- The game's really "physical", meaning you need a certain amount of raw materials to build anything, food to keep people alive and so on, similar to Banished. This game is basically Banished in ancient Egypt.
- It's all about ratios of things. A certain population needs a certain amount of shops and luxury shops, a certain number of farms needs a certain number of nobles, if you get a lot of nobles you will start to need stuff like dentists and doctors and schools. Everybody needs bread
- Shops produce the things they sell, you don't need production buildings for luxury goods, there are a few sources of them on the map, so try to place shops near these or just in a central cluster
- Monuments generate prestige, a resource you can use to open trade routes to get exotic stuff to grow your town with
- The nile floods sometimes which can destroy buildings, build expensive stuff higher up, it doesn't matter if some shacks get wrecked
- Upgrade the palace for prestige and other crap, I forgot, but it's easy to overlook that you can do this

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Talk to me about Cuphead

The first things to unlock are the charge shot and the inviso-dash. The charge shot is seriously powerful and will destroy bosses
Parrying things during boss battles is usually a good idea, just parry everything that's pink to build up charges for super attacks.
Don't rely on auto-parry, the invisible dash is so much more useful and parrying isn't that hard to learn. Practice in the mausoleum.
You can find coins and other secrets and stuff so look around the map carefully.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Renoistic posted:

This. I usually end up using the pea-shooter and spread, though. Also, Dice King is a god-drat dick and I hate him with the fury of a thousand suns.

I'll add some more things since Cuphead's not even on the wiki yet.
- Spread is good up close and to get rid of enemies that swarm you, which helps a lot on certain bosses, so definitely unlock it.
- Another useful weapon is the boomerang. By jumping and firing backwards you can practically fill the entire screen with boomerangs, works great as a swarm clearer and has high damage, there's a few bosses where this is handy, so unlock it too.
- The homing shot has a few niche uses and seems good but it's too weak as a general weapon. Generally, it's best to burst boss phases down as fast as you can with high damage, to avoid exposing yourself to their attacks for longer than necessary, so this low damage weapon is usually not worth it.
- Some bosses play like side scrolling shoot em ups, don't forget that you can turn into a small plane to dodge bullets, and you can switch between your gun and bombs. Bombs are slightly more powerful than the gun so use them if you can.
- If you get stuck somewhere, switch your weapons and try again. The charge shot is probably the most useful, but the game demands that you vary your loadout.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I played a lot of Startopia but in the end I always feel it's a pretty shallow game that suggests nonexistent depth by being obtuse. It's not very hard because like you said, more is always better, and the station's layout doesn't require much thought put into it. If it didn't have the biodeck it'd be pretty boring.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Once you unlock Flying Swallow just mash that button until the credits roll

In NG Black I actually liked to stay away from the flying swallow since it's kind of poor form to fly at enemies all the time. I liked to just slowly walk (not run) into a room, open with low-key moves like a single kick followed by a slash, and just focus on slowly killing everybody using some of the more advanced moves without getting hit, it's especially fun in the 100 enemy challenge rooms, I don't know if Sigma has those.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I haven't played in ages but as I recall NG has a lot of missables so you should probably play with a guide.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

I'm grabbing the Secret of Mana remake and was wondering if anything is different from the original.

There's one big difference: the game sucks now.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mayor McCheese posted:

This.

If anyone has any interest at all with that remake, just play the original. Seriously, there's nothing new worth noting besides the numerous crashes.

I'm willing to bet they even removed the cool hidden smiley faces on the overworld and that lighthouse island bald guy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phantasium posted:

I didn't look for the smiley faces, but lighthouse island bald guy is still there.

On the other hand, they removed the cannon travel animation, the zombies don't moonwalk when they're casting spells, and the spellbooks don't have pinups in them.

I bet you can't get the 9th sword orb anymore through an incredibly esoteric and cool glitch that sounds like someone on an RPG forum would make up for april fools, but which actually works in the game and is amazing. I bet they took that out to "streamline the experience". Please don't give money to the poo poo SoM remake people.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I kind of enjoyed the triforce fishing part not for the fishing itself but because I enjoy Zelda mostly as a series of sidequests and I liked to get the treasures off all the islands.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is two point hospital good? I always thought Theme Hospital was a flawed game that I enjoyed because of the graphics and humor and stuff. Did they at least add a sandbox and more challenging gameplay?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for Shadow of Mordor that isnt on the wiki? This is the first time for me playing an AAA type third person open world game and i'd like to know what i ought to be doing.

Any missables or trap talents or whatever?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 24, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Does La Mulana 2 have a controller patch yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for Rodina?