Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd take any other Fire Emblem: Three Houses tips people might have. Also have a couple of general questions, though I'm wary of going into the thread for fear of spoilers:

It's hard to truly prioritize Professor Level, but just Do Things and it should get higher pretty quickly. Finding little glowy blue spots around the map can give you the points, too, and after a month or two you can even raid your students' rooms for casual reading material, worth a couple hundred points each.

As for missing roles... Well, if you pass the test for an Advanced class with a unit that's absolutely not suited for it, you get bonus permanent stats to bring them up to a competent baseline.

Example: You've been training Mage McDandy in Heavy Armor with the Group Goals, and personally tutoring him in axes, even though he hates it. You want him to become an Armored Knight, because you think he'd be cute in the armor, and that's all the excuse you need, right? Even though he only has a Defense of 7, you're sure this is the path you want him to go on. When hovering over it in the Certifications menu, you notice McDandy's getting a surprising amount of base stats on the bar at the bottom. Hmmm. The stats preview says he'll be getting 16 in Defense, which is quite a lot, so it's good to see that he'll be good in the class after all. He only has a 65% chance of passing, but sure, you think, he can take the test, and boom! He passes! His Defense jump up to 16, like the preview says, but it also gives him a whopping +5 permanent Defense.

Armored Knight, see, only gives a temporary +4 for being in the class, but you're simply not going to be a good Armored Knight without at least 12 Defense... so when you take the test, your minimum is raised to that amount. With effort and training, anybody can be at least competent in any class, and the class affects stat growths, so you're likely to stay competent, too.

As far as recruiting, I spent a lot of effort recruiting Mercedes, and it took a decent amount of time. I had B-rank support with her, and C-rank Bows (which she wanted) and 8 Magic, which she also wanted. 8 seems pretty low, so I'm assuming the B-rank support made up for that. But I also ended up with several other students almost ready to recruit, just from my normal skill and stats growths, so if you want more warm bodies, just identify the people who like what you're already doing and woo them with gifts of feathers, spices, and a couple fancy tea parties. If you want someone specific, it's likely going to take some effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Arcsech posted:

As far as I can tell, trying to catch anything higher level, even just 1 higher, than what you have currently out is entirely futile - I threw like 10 balls at a level 9 Growlithe with a level 8 something out, it never even shook once, switched to a level 10 one, caught first throw.

This is definitely false, and while the game DOES limit catches based on level (instead of just not having any level 30 guys on Route X, you just can't catch them for a while), they're fairly wide breakpoints, and it gives you a special message if you can't try - something like "It's too strong to catch!"

Also, re: Fire Emblem stuff: a lot of the pro tips assume a familiarity with Fire Emblem that may or may not be warranted. My #1 tip for a new Fire Emblem player would be: The system all of the English games use to calculate hit chances is unintuitive. If you have a 70 hit chance, it's not 70%, which would be picking a random number between 1 and 100 and if it's 70 or below, it hits. Instead it picks TWO numbers, and takes the AVERAGE. This means that the numbers behind the curtain look more like a bell curve - it sound complex, but the upshot is that a hit rate of 50 is actually 50%, but 55 is a bit higher than 55%, and 80 is actually considerably higher than 80% (92.2%, to be precise).

They do it so that they can do the same hit rate calculations, but higher hit rates work more often, reducing the variance (which feels good in a game with such strong penalties for character death). Making early-game bandit enemies and such even less likely to hit than they appear is another benefit, smoothing out the early-game deaths.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Re: Hades: After hitting a handful of ranks of the skills near the bottom of the mirror, I'd prioritize boons over money, no question. You can get real good stuff, and if you don't, there's a better than even chance you'll get something you can sell for more than a hundred measly obols. I rarely play on more than difficulty 5, though, so maybe that's no good for later?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

SweetBro posted:

The issue with going for boons over money is that is that it's not room efficient. Every level has a limited amount of rooms meaning that every time you're not getting something useful out of a room you're handicapping yourself for the final boss fight.

Continuing the Great Debate:

I mean, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, like I said I only play on the medium difficulties, but:

Yeah, every level has a limited number of rooms, so you should take a boon (one boon, ~0 gold) rather than go to the shop to buy a boon (one boon, -125 gold). By all means, stop by a shop if you need healing or just feel like shopping, but I regularly skip every single shop and almost every gold room I have a chance to, and the vagaries of Lady Luck still end up with me at 700-1000 gold at the end of an average run, plenty to blow on Big Upgrades in the endgame shop (which is, in fact, why I tend not to spend money earlier). Now, part of that is because I take the mirror upgrade for interest, and because I usually grab Charon's Purse at some early point, so I'm definitely deliberately focusing on having a shitload of money at the end of the run, but it works out great for me.

It's also not that rare to grab an Epic boon that's worth 250-400 gold, which can be loadsamoney if you don't particularly need it (for the unaware, Epic is the middle-tier rarity).

Also, can't have the Daed hammer in a shop unless you go to a shop! I had honestly forgotten they could be in there.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

SweetBro posted:

You get more gold efficiency as you progress in the game (higher spawn rate of gold pots). You also get access to the coin purse which starts you out with a good chunk of gold. These two combined will basically null out any extra value boons provide. The other thing which I'm not sure if I was clear on, is that getting boons later typically grants them a higher level and/or higher rarity. Since you're always guaranteed a shop at the end of each level, that's basically a couples of free Poms than if you picked it up at the start of the level.

Don't forget that Boons aren't the only thing you can get and max health increases, heals, and other stuff are pretty useful as well. Ideally you want to be able to clean out a shop every time you go there.

Finally I also think a lot of this depends on the predicate if you believe whether or not it's worth getting "off-brand" boons for a run. I'm obviously in the camp that it isn't. Outside for a few universally good ones like Artemis's spawn arrow on attack, most tend to not synergize very well with other gods and what's worse you risk getting a replacement option for something like your attack which often times is a dead choice because you those tend to be core aspects of your run's build.

I'm not sure how getting more gold from pots and purse 'null out' any extra benefit from boons? Also, I didn't know you were guaranteed a shop at the end of each level, that's interesting, but I don't know how getting the boons later is better - or, rather, it's obvious, but if you're getting a boon at the end of the level, you could get a SECOND boon earlier as well. It's like you're limited to a certain number of boons; if the game has any scaling like that, it's so light as to be near-invisible.

Yeah, you can get other stuff from shops. That's my main reason for stopping by an in-run shop, for healing/max health if I'm feeling I got shafted. But I usually want to save my money for the big endgame shop, and I almost always feel like I got good stuff out of it. And I found myself getting shafted by being forced into shops with no money all the time earlier in my play, which was a bad feel - I only want to visit a shop (small or endgame) if I have a ton of money, and if I'm going to aim for good boons (which I am), I want to grab them from the final shop which has a bunch of guaranteed higher tiers.

And yeah, I definitely am in the opposite camp re: boons: I think boons are almost always worth it. Obviously, synergies are where the big money is, but you're not very likely to get something that truly synergizes (of course, I'm much more likely to believe that, being a guy who grabs boons all the time), and generally non-synergistic boons can still be great - Artemis' homing Cast, for example, doesn't synergize with much (except Hermes' autocast), but it also vastly increases the damage. Not to an extent that's great against bosses, but finishing small enemies off with your Cast is a good move in the first two areas, and a big damage increase and homing on it makes you able to snap-fire it off much easier and quicker - it's actually a much bigger increase to DPS than it seems, if you're primarily using it as said finisher so the Bloodstones fall on the ground. There's a ton of effects like that that are quite good if you use them in the right ways, and getting a wide selection is important to me - but if you're firmly in the Only Two Gods camp, yeah, I can see why you place a greater emphasis on shops.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Kuros posted:

A few more tips:

1. Whipping is slightly different than the first Spelunky and will taking some getting used to. Most notable is that the backwards range on the whip is bigger. A good strat for bats is to face away from them and when they are close, whip. The backwards hitbox on the whip will kill the bat.

Is this different at all? Backwards-whip bat-killing was my standard strat in the first game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Pierzak posted:

OK, so I can stop sweating over the issue and just play normally. Thanks.

Nobody mentioned the fact that a late-game item is, unusually for Zelda, permanently missable? Basically, early on in the game, when you have the Gust Jar item, fusing Kinstones will open a teleporter to a far corner of the map, and you need to do a thing there. If you don't because, say, you were saving your Kinstones for a big fusing spree much later in the game, you've failed the quest. I'm being deliberately vague here, but knowing that it's the teleporting thing and the item involved should be enough. If you want a guide to what exactly to do, google this phrase (will spoil the item/quest involved): Minish Cap light arrows old man

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

Anything for Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass?

Stealing is actually both useful and well-designed, and many dungeons have bonus dungeons/areas you can find as offshoots. Nothing critical in any of them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

does anyone have any tips for Sucking Dick in the Big Shed please? ASAP

KirbyKhan posted:

Hacking yes, crafting is... That's a personal choice. Largely numbers don't matter, but they can if you spend an inordinate effort into it.

I paired my cool stat with strength and bonk sticks. For controller play it was really good.